Were the GM sports cars of the late 80s-90s actually considered cool?

Were the GM sports cars of the late 80s-90s actually considered cool?
They always looked like trailer-trash sexual predator tier to me.

The Trans Am was the star of its own tv show, you tell me.

and?
pic related is just shit design

Not really, mainly because of low horsepower engines.
In the 80's when the 160 hp V8's were around, there were still plenty of real 70's and earlier muscle cards still on the road

When they were new, yes. They didn't gain that reputation until they started falling into the hands of their third and fourth owners in the 90s.

That's a firebird martshart

Trans Am is a trim level of a firebird you troglodyte. Next you'll tell me Z28s aren't Camaros.

Yes, of course. Then a bunch of people who wanted to look cool bought them but a lot of the WEREN'T cool so as time progressed their image changed and took on a certain negativity which goes on to become a stereotype that then further goes on to take on a kind of irony then as the cars become rarer and the people who have them have sought them out and put effort into keeping them on the road can be assumed to be post-ironic which will then eventually carve out a place in history and some level of "classic" status. The fact that in the year of our lord 2018 you can look at that beautiful early third gen firebird and not see past the cliche just means you're pretty dumb and why now is a great time to be buying 80s cars.

The 350 in these cars is just as good or better than the 350 in 70s cars (most of which were also choked). They were made to be uncorked by owners and most already have been or, if not are cheap and haven't been flogged. I dunno what GM was thinking with the way they made their 305 but I won't go there. At any rate, they were also much newer back then than those equivalent of current 90s cars behemoths with MUCH better suspensions so would absolutely stomp something like a Nova if both had exactly the same engine mods.

>GM
>posts a mustang

>mustang
That's a capri

>capri
so not gm
also "The Mercury Capri of 1979–86 was a re-styled Ford Mustang, produced in the USA, and the final version of 1991–94 was a convertible produced by Ford Australia."

Autists: it's probably that dude's car. He posts here a fair amount. It's relevant to the thread, just not to his post.

Friendly rivalry. Unless you spent 5x as much on your car (10x if foreign) as we did on our 3rd gen ponies, stay the fuck away from our stoplights.

nobody argues that the 98 facelift of the 4th gen is awful looking. but the regular pre-facelift 4th gen was good looking in its day. it was considered sleek and futuristic.

And it kind of was. Sure as hell better looking than today's pigfat camaro

yes they were

nigga noones dissing your fuckin ford lol
"gm sucks" "DONTM AKEFUN OF MY FORD!!!:

>what is rivalry

>Firebird isn't GM

>getting mad that someones making fun of your rival

I've never actually seen a stock one back in the day. Even when they had shit HP from the factory most of them are modded up to be faster than most cars.

Because everything was choked people could drop 1k in parts to gain 100whp then have the rest of the car break around it and constantly get upgraded.

This. You could upgrade an fbody to be competitive with a Corvette if you wanted to. Most people who didn't get the 350 had fun swapping in old classic motors for cheap and hot rodding the hell out of them.

>demonstrating how you don't understand rivalry

Monza Spyder

They only look tgat way to you now cause wgen you were born trailer trash were finally able afford those shit boxes while the rich moved on to more afluent models.