Truckerfag Thread - /tfg/

>All Truckers Are Driving Fatigued And On Drugs All The Time Edition

Brevious Bread: >44 tonnes of tubulars
>34tires with hub oil leaking onto them
>Sign that lease! I dare you! Sign that lease! I double dare you motherfucker!
>CDL how do? Private driving school or community college, or use one of your three genie granted wishes
>Megacompanies don't care about you or your petty concerns like sleep, eating food, going to the bathroom or that troublesome humanity
>Something about black people probably
>Swift: Best off bridge deck
>No touch dryvan is baby-tier trucking

Attention:
>Robots are gay, and full automation won't replace drivers until long after we are all dead
>Buh, but muh automated planes and trains!
>Patently false, and also nobody cares
That is all.

>Truckerfag does all his shitposting with Netscape Navigator 3.2
>Freon is sitting in his Guy Fieri Limited Edition Peterbilt missing Big Red
>Bepis is slowly getting the heat madness that comes from being too close to the equator
>Oilfag is sitting in the middle of a field watching frac guys mill about like ants
>Doublesfag is somewhere yelling at his wife about 48" sleepers as you read this
>Primefag is heading towards Bonneville at 62 MPH, should be there by next years races
>Whiney to become employed and able to provide for his dakimura again
>Balam got that good ganja mon, he a real bad bwoi
>Donkeyis relaxingwith a cup of soycaf in a cheap coffin motel in the Redmond Barrens after completing a matrix run against Lone Star
>EF is considering buying an automatic International Lonestarwith elogs, 61mph governer, Bendix Wingman automatic braking/cruise and 30 second idle shutdown

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9GsgwQpj57c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

craccaroni and jizz

>tfw you get back to the shop on Thursday and your truck was exactly where you left it last Sunday

guy fieri special would be yellow, whatever ftge

>Swift: best off bridge deck

Fuck, I always forget name on the new thread

>Work on the 60/week time
>Work 63.25 hours this week
Thank God for whoever made the 16 hour exemption a thing

Australian trucks > euro trucks > American trucks

It is known

DESU Australia just has the best mix.

USA Trucks
EURO Trucks
Glorious NIPPON steel trucks with names like GIGAMAX
Shitty CHINESE trucks with shitty names like DONG FENG

I feel like American trucks would be better with a name like Dong Feng

>30 second idle shutdown

Th-this isn't a real thing is it?

Whoa hold up, do some of you get reprimanded for revving past 1600rpm?

Some guy mentioned it to me. I couldn't believe it.

>tfw drive AUS truck with 510HP MX-13, has biggest radiator possible fitted and only gets to 90°C in summer when climbing the ranges. Otherwise sits at 78°C.

Thought it had a faulty sensor when I first got it. Was used to the cummins ISX getting to 105°C in summer on the ranges, normal operatung temp of 85-90°C, had biggest radiator fitted too.

It is I believe. Our trucks are 5 minutes but I know how to bypass that shit because our APUs can't keep up with fucking 110-degree Midwest heat, fuck me it's like 2200 here and still 95 out in OKC

Prime has a statement in their employee handbook or whatever it is that the DD15 floats valves past 1575rpm and I can verify that is absolute bullshit

I've hit 2200 on accident pulling it out of gear and the cruise going "wtf primefag" and caught it pretty quick, I will regularly do 1800 down really steep hills with the Jakes on.

No one has said anything to me about it I think my FM may just not give a shit, or he knows I fired my last FM for micromanagement in two months of being on his board, and two of my other friends who were on his board followed suit for the same reasons.

>MX13

I'm sorry.

The MX13 has already outdone the ISX it replaced. Much better fuel economy and already leading in the reliability stakes.
The AUS version is different to the USA one.
The Aussie Kenworth MX , is based on the Dutch-built Euro spec MX, though it does share some castings with the American version.
These castings are to help the 13-litre nestle between the chassis rails of a conventional prime mover rather than the European cab-over configuration of the DAF product.

I'm 22 and I want to become a trucker, but I'm afraid automation will take over.

Would you guys still go for it, knowing automation is coming?

>Paccar had a proven engine but went and changed it because "murrica knows best" and actually made it worse.

Move to India. They have already banned automated vehicles.

Attention:
>Robots are gay, and full automation won't replace drivers until long after we are all dead
>Buh, but muh automated planes and trains!
>Patently false, and also nobody cares
That is all.

Wew lads, first load on Monday. Pumping jacks and counterweights on flat beds, preloaded.

>tfw 40 mile commute
>tfw BRZ diff on IS300
>tfw dropped mpgs to 20 highway

Time for a Miata or MR2

Just do it cunt, I got in last year at 23 and after seeing it from the inside I'm positive automation is a non-concern.

>driving gook dogshit
>caring about mpg
>Miata

Don't you need to get laid? What are you doing my man.

>miata
>gook
If you want to be an edgelord, at least get your slurs right.

Any cunt with slanty eyes is a gook/slope/chow/slant. They all love it.

>being too dumb to even be racist accurately

Just like all whitebois are crackers, regardless of from where they hail.

You can't be racist against white people, their fragility can't handle it. You'll hurt his feelings.

On ATS I generally rev my truck between 1500-2000RPM. Is this realistic? I have 625hp Cat engine, 18 speed transmission and I feel like I can get the best torque output at this rev range.

>being to dumb to know Japan is an asian country

Thats where all the HP is at. Highest torque is produced under 1600rpm.

Generally when pulling up a HEAVY load up a hill, I stay at 2000 RPM. Is this bad? Do they do it in real life like this as well?

You have 18sp. Another half a gear will bring it back down to more real world rpms.

>expecting dumbistanians to know geography
They cannot even point out states within their own union.

The engine feels weak at RPM under 1500, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, I always skip gears and I go

1 - 4 - 7 - 10 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 18

Is this realistic? Sometimes I even go:

1 - 6 - 10 - the rest like above

1600rpm, 75% or less throttle.

You have to be dumb in the first place to be racist.

No A/C system can keep up with the sheer amount of mass of your diabetic meat vehicle

They all look like little yellow zipperheads and I don't. I know what they've done. They committed war crimes that make Germany look like a Disney film.

Thinking about quitting welding and going to trucking school because I hate people.

Talk me out of it please.

> being too dumb to know Japanese affect gooks

Sorry about your retardation.

Aren't°

I noticed a distinct lack of body count in your OP. How many hookers have you killed at this point?

You USA resisents are the dumbest about. The rest of the world calls any Asian a gook/slope/nip. Its even better when a faggot like yourself gets offended because they were so largely generalized.

>Dumb racists arguing over who has correct racist slurs

The dumbening is real.

>driving my Dong around

Would never get old

>eyyy gurl wanna ride on my dong

>pay for fuel in "your" truck
>not allowed to idle if you want
I'll never understand leasefags

I've discovered that you miss a LOT of shitposting if you just filter them.
Same with hiding all the frogposters and feelsposters on sight without even reading the text.

Filters make Veeky Forums readable.

You can be over RPM but you can't accelerate while over 1575. So if using Jake I get 2000+ in vale pass sometimes but if you don't push the accelerater you're fine. And even if you do my FM doesn't care.

Jesus fuck son, I have one of the worst bikes for mpg and I still get 30mpg. You're getting mileage like my Ram

This is a prime thing. Swift doesn't tell you shit about idling if you lease (not condoning lease, just saying there are differences).

Prime is a super weird cult of mpg. I've seen no evidence to suggest that shit like those trailer tails even nets a return on mileage saved after cost over the life of the trailer.

>I've seen no evidence to suggest that shit like those trailer tails even nets a return on mileage saved after cost over the life of the trailer.
You must not have looked. Like, at all. They're not quite as effective as skirts but it's close, plus they're cheaper. The combo pays for itself after about 18 months. Insignificant to an individual, really, considering after 3 years, you'll have only really saved about $5-6k. But if you operated, let's say 5000 trucks, that's about $30,000,000.

Come to expect it on Veeky Forums though.

How do you block racists? Just filter the slurs? I think Im going to do that, because I'm tired of seeing teens spew racist garbage in attempt to be edgy.

That's the benefit of having five gears with a 4.1 final drive, shitty mpgs.

Don't do it. Do the welding shit and specialize in something where you will always be in demand. That way people will need your services so you can demand a high price and act like an asshole and they will still need you.

>daily reminder that Whiney was dating a borderline prostitute and still never got his dick wet

[aerodynamics intensifies]

Finish welding school and then go to trucking if you want to do trucking.

That way you have a fallback skill and don't end up working at McDonald's if you pull an M&M lol

Why is the sugar merchant being such a dick lately?

Well, you /can/ run it like that in the real world, but you'll get 4mpg until it blows at 700,000 miles.

That second shift pattern is possible bobtail.

>Bepis is slowly getting the heat madness that comes from being too close to the equator

Fuck, does nobody read the OP any more?

100% finish welding school. You may decide you hate trucking once you get into it, and if you finish trade school you will have something to fall back on.

youtu.be/9GsgwQpj57c

>Not revving right to the limiter in every gear for maximum performance

Its like you don't even want to be RUNNING IN THE 90s.

>Dropped down to high 40s a few days ago

I'm not ready for it.

Wasn't clear, I finished welding school a year ago and I'm already getting bored with the job.
I just can't fucking deal with a routine.

So goes the theory until they start breaking too and end up costing even more money in repairs, late load fines, etc.

My company tried them a few years ago and found no savings after purchase and installation and then subsequent repairs. They basically proved themselves to be a giant hassle to no point and our new trailers don't come with them.

You'll hate people even more when you start trucking.

I idle when I want and if Prime says anything about it I'll tell them to kick rocks or pay my truck payment.

pretty much what said. The tails don't save as much on fuel and can actually be more of a nuisance in a high crosswind situation but they do minimize turbulence inflicted on vehicles behind you.

>tfw 4.39 final, 5 gears and 3500rpm at 70mph and still net 30mpg on a V6

What is volumetric efficiency and injector duration / duty cycle for 1000 Alex?

>What is volumetric efficiency and injector duration / duty cycle for 1000 Alex?

>Injector
>Diesel

You're not a trucker because you ride the bus kiddo

Kek this Whiney just reminds me of a little brother that I always pick on. Or the nerdy kid at school.

We need Eminem back in here because he is more fun to fuck with.

Why not get the trailer snugged up closer to the tractor like eurotrucks?
Why not use more efficient engines?
Why not make simpler tails that inflate in the airflow at speed, and just deflate at low speeds?

Eminem deserved what he got. Whiney's actually sorting himself out, even if he's making a series of shit decisions and finding out that there are companies far worse than Swift.

I will laugh for days if he ends up going back to swift, though.

Oh. Well, at this point you could give trucking a try and see if you like it enough to pursue it as a career and still return to welding if it doesn't pan out.

Trucking isn't as solitude filled as movies and tv make it out to be though. You'll still have to deal with lots of people throughout the day: Shippers, receivers, cashiers, truck stop personnel, mechanics, terminal staff, company managers, dispatchers, etc. law enforcement, scale house operators, and others drivers to name a few.

Ask yourself these questions before committing though:

Do I mind being alone for long periods of time if solo driving?

Am I able to put up with being in very close proximity to another person while team driving/training for up to six weeks or so?

Am I okay with living in a small space for possibly weeks at a time?

Am I able to sleep in a noisy, moving vehicle?

Am I able to put up with potentially being mistreated by shippers, recievers, terminal staff or other drivers?

Am I able to keep effective time management considering I generally have to cram a lot of non driving personal activities including sleep within a ten hour span?

Do I like driving enough to do it for 13 hours a day?

Am I able to stay awake and focused enough to stay safely on the roads for that long?

Am I mechanically inclined enough to perform minor maintenance on the truck/trailer if needed?

Just some food for thought.

>Why not get the trailer snugged up closer to the tractor like eurotrucks?
You get it as close as you can while also taking into consideration front axle weight. Since my tractor has a 12,000lb front axle closest approach for me is 11,750 at 80,000lbs and that still leaves about 2ft between the trailer and the tractor fairings. Some have tried expandable ducting between tractor and trailer but those are really problematic.

>Why not use more efficient engines?
Money. Reducing drag is cheaper and the main place to do it now is at the trailing end of the truck. Since you still have to load the truck from the rear that means you need some Rube Goldberg device that will expand into the vacuum left by the truck but also still allow you to open the doors. Personally I think there need to be a revolution in how trucks are loaded because the entire process is just ridiculous but that's another conversation.

>Why not make simpler tails that inflate in the airflow at speed, and just deflate at low speeds?
Those exist and they're no less of a pita than the conventional types

Thanks, that's a really good post for someone in my situation.
At first glance I'm guessing some tech job innawoods or something would be a better fit for my autism.

>Why not use more efficient engines?
>Why not make simpler tails that inflate in the airflow at speed, and just deflate at low speeds?
Another user basically covered this, but why use them in conjunction with other things? They're proven to work and alone can improve fuel efficiency by almost 1mpg. So why not?
The only real downside, and it's the problem a lot of student training companies run into, is the trailer has to survive 18 months minimum without getting the equipment damaged. And when you put rookies behind the wheel, they're more likely to damage something.

>problematic
Eueotrucks manage it, often with only two tractor axles. Most of the weight is on the trailer axles.
They also have a fairing going back from the tractor to the front of the trailer, and no need for tails.

Otherwise, train your fucking drivers better?

Go away faggot, drive your fat queer ass and rental truck off a cliff.

>They also have a fairing going back from the tractor to the front of the trailer, and no need for tails.
Yup, we have those too, gap extenders.
Why are you so against methods of improving fuel efficiency?
>these things are a cheap and easy way to save fuel and money with no downsides
>wow why the fuck anyone want that why not just redesign the entire powertrain?

Because American truck design revolves around wheelbase and axle load in its entirety. If your wheelbase is just a little to small or your axle load a little too high you're going to damage those frail American roads. Pic related, hauling a digger in Murrika.

Hauling the same digger in Europe.

This has absolutely nothing to do with fuel efficiency.
Why can Eurabians never stay on point? Every time they realize they can't defend their opinion, they shift the topic in another direction. You always argue line women, that's a female diversionary tactic, the result of arguing with your emotions instead of reason and logic.

Of course it does. American trailers have their kingpins set relatively far forward (36 inches if I'm not mistaken, sometimes even less) to increase the wheelbase and therefore total weight capacity, which means that in order to prevent collisions with the cab in turns approaching 90 degrees there needs to be a substantial gap between cab and trailer.

You know what the kingpin setback is on a European trailer? 63 inches. You know what small gap this allows for? 21 inches of gap, minus the gap fairing. There's barely any gap at all on European trucks, while enabling the same turning angle (>90° in fact), and the only tradeoff is a bit of axle load.

Looks even crazier on fridges because these have the power unit contained within the swing radius of the trailer corners.

You can do the same thing on a conventional truck with a sliding fifth wheel. If I set mine all the way forwards, there's less than 2 feet between my gap extenders and the trailer. And as far as weight goes, it only became a problem if I was fully loaded with full tanks, but anything under 40000 was no concern.
The reasons no Americans run that way is
1. Sliding the fifth wheel is requires work, so it's easier to just set it back and forget about it.
2. Having it farther back allows slightly more maneuverability in close quarters conditions.
3. It's easier to get in between the truck and trailer and most of us are fat and fatties can't squeeze into a 24" space
4, and most importantly,
a e s t h e t i c

I never talk out of my ass. That's just a distance label you guys use on me when you don't believe what I'm saying. But what the fuck do I know. 17 years of driving them and more than that working on them.

t. eog_prod

>Why can Eurabians never stay on point?
Are all americunts this stupid, or are you just special?

Also note the trailer axles being set forward, and there being three of them.

I really do want to see if eurotrucks would be at all competitive in the american market.
And if ameritrucks would even manage to make it through a european town.

Thanks for proving my point, Mohammed. Now the topic has shifted and you don't have to grasp at straw anymore to save your sinking argument.

>And if ameritrucks would even manage to make it through a european town.
The Northeast says 'hi'

> I can't follow a conversation, so I'll turn it into a personal attack instead!

> Pic related

>I really do want to see if eurotrucks would be at all competitive in the american market.
Probably not because their weight rating would be complete garbage thanks to the wheelbase and weight distribution to suit European regulations. There's less than 35 ft between the first and the last axle on a European semi, the trailer axles are all single wheels, and there's a lot of weight on both tractor axles. Americans absolutely HATE weight on the steer axle, and they have TWO drive axles, and twin wheels on all trailer axles.

>And if ameritrucks would even manage to make it through a european town.
Probably not if even European trucks get stuck sometimes. Europe has overall length limits for a reason.

In the end each solution makes sense in each respective market, and to the other market they look absolutely ridiculous.

That said eurotrucks aren't doing too badly in Straya, then again Straya has overall length limits (yes, length limits on road trains) for no apparent reason.

Hey truckers. I'm in a 2 week long driving school to get my class A CDL. Halfway through it and I still stuck at backing into spots at docks. I can't seem to get the coordination down and still getting used to it not backing up like a regular car.

Any helpful tips for a new guy?

Yeah, get the fuck outta there because that screams scam, or worse, Swift. No good CDL training school only runs two weeks.

Fellow student here, how is your school going? I'm at the Roadmaster in Bethlehem, PA and I'm about to start week 2 of 3 tomorrow. I'm nervous as fuck. I know how to drive stick (my daily driver is a Challenger with a 6-speed) and work a clutch, but I took a gamble with this school and absolutely have to get my CDL A. I have no job and used my resources to come here. I aced my permit test on my first try, and seem to be getting pre-trip down very quickly, but fuck me I'm nervous about the test. I haven't even driven on the road yet and I'm freaking out here.

I know about downshifting and catching gears, because I do it all the time in my car, but what about stopping at a light? You don't have time to run through the gears before stopping. In my car, if I'm going ~40 and start to stop, I go from 5th, to 4th, to 3rd, to neutral. Does the same shit apply in trucking?

Practice. Most schools teach you just enough to pass the test anyway. You will learn when you actually get a job.

I work for UPS currently, trying to get into driving their semis and it's 2 week training. 10th day we get tested by a state certified person. I know, 2 weeks sound crazy, it's just how this company does it.

Good luck to you. Training is going fairly well, first week I've already learned to hook up and drive double 28' and 53' on roads and highways. Not gonna lie it's a lot easier than I imagined. If you're going to go one the road, do not be nervous. Try to relax, being nervous behind that wheel can be deadly.
Also I'm having trouble downshifting but getting better at it. My instructor told me that when being tested by the state, I should not put the tractor in neutral and coast to a red light, he said they expect us to downshift through every gear. I'm sure each state is different. Pretrip is easy, lots of good videos on YouTube to watch and just memorize.

eog_prod is my favorite paranoid muppet

The coasting thing, I was told this as well. You can't coast/be in neutral longer than the length of your vehicle (truck + freight), but I'm dreading stopping at a red light. I can see it now: 7th gear at 25, time to slow down. Drop to 6th...5th...4th...and by then I'll either be at the light, or below 1000 RPM and the engine will stall or something.

Best thing to do is tell your instructor that you want to practice that in their yard or find a big empty space. In mine we can get to 6th gear easily, practice downshifting from their. Let off the gas if you see a stale green ahead, practice makes good, even veteran truck drivers screw up sometimes. Right guys?

Do you push in the clutch and coast the last bit of stopping, like in a car? Surely you can't drop all the way to 1st on engine braking alone in a short distance. In my Challenger, I can drop all the way to 1 MPH in 1st before I need to push in the clutch. As long as it's rolling, it won't stall. Are trucks the same?