Are you emotionally attached to your car?

Are you emotionally attached to your car?

youtu.be/yI4wU7YxQY8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y4BkXx-94Js
youtube.com/watch?v=60ZSzpBcqrc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no. it it was a manual i would be

Confused, normal combustion produces a gallon of water per gallon of gas nearly....

Why is Hank concerned about this?

In the exhaust? He saw some steam? Or maybe he thought it was water, and it was coolent steam?

Hank seems ignorant, should ask boomhauer

Watch the episode again as he tried everything he can to try and get it fixed.

I remember when I sold my truck to this baby boomer. The head gaskets were going, the transmission was slipping, the brake lines needed replaces, and the tiers were almost bald. I could not afford to keep it going, so I had to give it to somebody who could.

I see him driving it every now and again. I guess he's fixed the transmission and gaskets. Sometimes you just have to let go.

Extra confused, as it is a small clip, not an episode, is this why King of The Hill was cancelled?

I can see why with 14 second episodes.

In reality though, I think Hank hill is not handy at all, given he cant diagnose his truck, or repair his water heater without killing his family.

He suffers from never being able to " come ino his own " because of his oppresive childhood, and his father's long lifespan and refusal to die. Hank hill will probably be unable to reach that level until Cotton dies, and he will divorce Peggy for a younger woman, much like his father before him did.

youtu.be/y4BkXx-94Js

They canceled it to make room for another terrible show by Seth McFarlane that too ended up getting canceled.

His father dies in an episode and he focuses on building a shed instead of visiting his father's death bed at the hospital as his father is still a dick to him.

I used to have an old integra that I'd hoon on in high school. I remember driving particularily asshat on some twisties on my way back from college when the rotor came loose off the distributor and made me think I destroyed my engine. I remember feeling so guilty, like I'd seriously hurt a friend. It was my first manual transmission car, and I learned alot about driving with it. Heel-toe, rev matching, and getting the car to rotate just right in the turns, all learned in that car. I ended up selling it to some assclown tweaker who could barely drive stick. Regretted it immediately. A little over a year later, I get a call from him from some meth factory town in iowa, trying to say the fuel pump went out in MY car and wanted me to help pay for it and put it in. ...Nigga. Promptly told him to blow me and haven't heard from him since. I still miss my car :(

Don't sell vehicles to people you know.
They'll always be your problem and your fault.

He could have just used the starter to drive the truck off the tracks.
That's one of the advantages of a manual car.

Nope. Cars are just transportation devices to me.

Yeah, I thought I was living that rule, but the faggot must have saved my number from the craigslist ad. I had no clue who he was before buying the car, lol.

You can even see a Flux Capacitor in the wreckage.

Just like Hank Hill, I have sentimental value for my truck.

yes

It was my dad's car before it was mine. I'll keep it running forever.

Worst part about owning a car that your family member used to own is, no one will ever think it's actually yours.
It doesn't matter what you paid, it doesn't matter how long you've had it. It doesn't matter what the title says, it doesn't even matter if your family member dies. It'll always be their car to everyone.

I can see that, but he let it rot and I rebuilt it so it's not like he just threw me the keys.

No. I'm convinced nothing made after 2001 really has a soul.

>So nice of ur dad to let u drive his sports car user!

Yes. I've had it about a year but I feel like it's the truck I've wanted since I was a kid. It does everything I want it to do, and I love driving it.

There's something insanely encouraging about driving a vehicle that you never have to worry about breaking down, either. I'm going to keep it forever.

>nothing
Especially the humans.

He hasn't driven it since like 1995. You don't know me nigga

>Oh wow! It's a classic, don't break it user I don't think ur dad would happy if you did!

>forever
>never

Haha. Lol. Yes your magic "truck" will never break down, it is the first perfect human made machine that is completely incapable of mechanical failure of any kind whatsoever. You will drive it for an infinite timeframe until the last star of the universe goes dim. Lol.

I will be ready with your trade-in evaluation when the next ultimate awesome thing comes along.

It isn't much but its my first shitbox. I learned how to wrench with it for the most part.

I'm pretty attached to it.

>ither. I'm going to keep it forever.
start buying spares of all the proprietary ecus

Is there a reason for your butthurt? Jealousy, maybe?

No one told you to buy a GM, user. You did that to yourself.

Funny you mention that, it's already on my list of things to do. I've been calling junkyards for the last couple weeks asking about inventories, trying to stockpile some of the parts for future use.

The issue is that FJs are somewhat rare compared to everything else, so most yards don't have them. The ones that do are stripped over.

The nice thing is that I can harvest 50% of whatever I'd need from Tacomas/4Runners, and they share parts with the Prado which is sold worldwide. Parts will be available for a very long time, but I'm trying to get my hands on FJ-only parts.

Worst case, in 30 years if the engine is shot I can just replace it with another one. Longitudinal mount, RWD - I have lots of options.

>everyone must buy a soulless shitbox like me
>new car every year
>much success is American way

Well considering you need to have those computers coded to your car owning a bunch of random controllers and modules likely won't help you.
If you want something that will run forever that you can always get parts for swap in an AMC 4 liter.

I don't understand why people like these, they're ugly, slow, and boring.

The interior is fucking dreadful and visibility is camaro tier.

Because other people have different opinions and preferences.

Most custom shops can code it for me, cars aren't going to stop using ECUs any time soon.

I can tell you haven't been dealing with replacing ECU's in car's form the mid 90's and up.
Custom shops can't just code the ECU. The codes are burned into it. To get a hacked ECU you usually have to send it over to eastern Europe. And the gypsies will only know how to do it if it's an in demand item.
In 30 years no one will give a fuck about FJ cruisers. So when your lead free solder joints crack and you need to hack an ECU to work on your car, getting an OE one in is likely going to cost in the 10's of thousands of today's money.

tru

Everyone should buy a full size pickup with the largest engine and 4x4 every 20 years. That's as close as you are going to get to a machine that "never breaks down and you can drive forever".

Anything less than a 20 year, 300k mile vehicle is soulless disposable shit.

>In 30 years no one will give a fuck about FJ cruisers

Wow it's like you're trying to hurt my feelings or something.

Interior is great, it's extremely practical and easy to clean out when it gets muddy/salty/filthy. Hard plastics all around so nothing shows scratches/fades/wear marks. Nice big knobs and dials and buttons, very tactile so it can be used easily with gloves or in the dark, without looking. No shitty meme touchscreens or tiny buttons for little manlet fingers. It's great.

Visibility isn't any worse than a 2500/250 or a full-size van. If you know how to drive with your mirrors and aren't a manlet cuck, they're easy to drive.

>The codes are burned into it.

what in the fuck are you even on about? custom ECUs are very common, it's not some secret wizard shit that only a handful of people in the world can do you moron.

stop talking out your ass, you can get an ECU for any car and any good shop can program it for you.

custom ecu != oe ecu

Maybe you need to educate yourself on what a car's ECUs actually do you stupid nigger. It's entirely possible to program an ECU to replicate/enhance what the factory ECU was designed to do. It's just a small computer that manages/regulates inputs and outputs.

Jesus Christ people, this is what happens when all of your car knowledge comes from the Fast and the Furious.

>YO DAWG ONLY 3 CHINKZ IN HONG KONG CAN TUNE DAT ECU
>BETTAH LET LUDACRIS HOOK U UP, HE GOT KONNEKSHUNS

You cringey faggot just stop posting already.

He said he's going to pick and pulls to buy computer modules, including ECU's.
Car manufacturers go well out of their way to try to stop anyone from ever repurposing or reprogramming their ecus.
All of the anti theft codes are burned onto an eeprom. You cannot simply go into a tuning shop and tell them to code a different cars OE ECU to your car.
You have to actually hack the ECU.

Just because you can replace an OE ECU with an aftermarket ECU doesn't change the fact that the dude with he Cruiser is stock piling OE computers.
And installing an aftermarket ECU isn't just plug and play, you need to essentially rewire the entire car unless they make one specifically to mount into your harness, which they won't be when he needs a new one.

What do you think happens when cars get into accidents and they need an ECU replaced? That doesn't make the car a total loss you dimwit, they order one from Toyota and program it at their shop.

Do you honestly think every automaker keeps a database of literally every single car they've ever sold and the matching ECU program and anti-theft codes that go with it?

Protip: they don't. They effectively remap/reflash the original ECU to factory specifications. And your nonsense about anti-theft codes? Car thieves bypass that shit all the time.

>Do you honestly think every automaker keeps a database of literally every single car they've ever sold and the matching ECU program and anti-theft codes that go with it?
They do.
When a car's ECU fails you have essentially one non-shady OE option. Order a factory programed ECU for your car. Shops cannot program your ECU. Any additional programming needed can be done at the dealership with dealer computers.
You do know that you can go into any dealership for your car in the world and order a key right? They don't need your key, all they need is your VIN.

You've been watching too much F&F thinking you just chuck in an ECU and the mad scientist rips the block apart to replace the piston rings you fried.

You do know you can go to any auto parts store and have them make you a key, too, right? You probably need to order the blank from the dealer if it's an import, but the PROGRAMMING can be done by any monkey at an Autozone/Partsource/etc.

You've been alive for a total of 12 years and don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

He can take a used FJ ECU to any Toyota dealership and they'll reflash/clone it for him for a few hundred dollars.

Why the fuck are you making this out to be some magical procedure when it happens every day?

>Shops cannot program your ECU

but they can. they just request the proper info from the automaker. dealerships aren't the only place to get work done, dealers work with private shops all the time.

>You do know that you can go into any dealership for your car in the world and order a key right? They don't need your key, all they need is your VIN.

youtube.com/watch?v=60ZSzpBcqrc

Guy uses a chink clone computer to program a brand new key to the car in 5 minutes.

You're seriously retarded if you think reprogramming an ECU or a key is a big deal.

My car is a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, that is rusting out, and, of course, is an autotragic.
But fuck have I had fun in that car. It's slow, and shit, but it's mine and I love it. Sadly the body is on its last legs, and I'll probably have to move on soon.
F.

>Not asking Dale to perform a vodou ritual to bring his dad back to life at the expense of Peggy's life.

It would have made the show much more enjoyable, and probably would have added a season or two.

It's complicated.

After I wrecked my first car, I needed a replacement commuter right away. My grandfather had this old beater that had been parked for 3 years, and was nice enough to let me take it. It had a shitton of miles after being used for a weekly interstate commute for years- my mother and uncle had convinced my grandfather to stop using it for that, fearing it would strand him in the desert in the middle of nowhere. During those 3 years he stopped driving himself, and his driver/assistant didn't drive manual, so he had no use for the car.

It's nice enough to drive, and its age and mileage makes its monetary value near zero. At the time I figured I'd just drive it until it dies, and by then I'd have some money saved for a better car. That was almost 7 years ago- I ended up moving and not driving for a commute anymore, so I don't put a lot of miles on the car. it's still kicking.

In one sense I don't care about it, because it's worthless and worn out. But on the other hand, I've sort of bonded with it, and can't justify replacing it when it still meets my transportation needs. And there's a little sentimentality, as my grandfather has since passed away.

Yes, I gave her a hug

cus

I like her

Yep, my Comanche represents a significant investment in both time and money and now I'm pretty much in for the long haul. I've spent way more than I ought to getting this thing back on the road and now I've got future upgrades and repairs planned out for the next several years. The only reason I'd ever let go of it was if it made it easier to get one of those upcoming wrangler pickups.

This thing is a total shitbox though. It's going to need a lot of repairs and upgrades to get it where it needs to be. Thanks for posting this OP, I forgot I ran out of Color Coat this weekend painting the cabin trim.

>put BFGs on it
>no lift
poseur

I've been depressed as fuck since I lost my IS300.

I don't even go out anymore.

JUST PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND PUSH IT YOU FUCK

Water in the exhaust is usually a sign of a bad gasket.

I've wanted one for years, I'd be sad as shit too.

):

Why is he so sad?
I mean all those drift cars look beaten up to hell and most probably have a bent frame anyways by now.
If he's so attached he could bent that crooked thing back to shape in a weekend.

Probably needs half of its engine replaced though.

It looks like the whole front end is crumpled. Frame, suspension components and mounts, everything.

Yes.

I'm very materialistic and lack an (agreeable) personality. As such, I let my possessions define me and I judge others heavily on the things they own. I blame it on growing up poor and idolizing the value of money at an early age.

its probably fucked more than that plus he's coming down from a huge adrenaline rush because of the crash

Lol no.
Take any non domestic key into any place that claims they do auto keys.
They won't be able to do it.

No dealer will touch user sourced parts for one, for another the security codes are burned on, you cannot reprogram it.
All you can do is hack it, which is very hard to get someone to do, especially locally.

That's hacking, no shop will do that for you, and no dealer will do it for you.

i have a 2006 honda civic dx-g
so no

that's funny, i grew up like that too but I did a 180 as I started getting older

My first car was a red ford ranger
>mfw that episode came on a few months after it got totaled

>over a year after the guy tries to get previous owner to pay for new issue

Holy shit what a dick.

>Altima coupe
>2.5
>CVT

I intentionally drain a little trans fluid out every month so the transmission croaks and my parents will get me an enjoyable shitbox

This hurts.

Grandma has a 96 caprice
Deep dark blue paint
Blue velour seats and interior
Always kept it clean
Stored in the winter because grandma goes to Florida
Never seen salt, people constantly offer her big money to buy it off her
Nope, after uer grandchildren that car is her pride and joy
Had its fluids changed regularly
Gently drives it to church, bingo, and gets groceries.
Car drove like a dream and looked mint condition
Always took to chance to fix it so some scam mechanic wouldnt take advantage of my grandmother by messing up her car

Last summer my grandma is waiting at a red light and some white trash bitch without a licence or insurense is driving her bfs shitty SUV and probably texting on a phone and rear-ends my grandmother.

That gloriously solid built car protects my grandma and she walks away with a little soreness. The trunk and read frame and bent to the right. The car is pretty much totaled because of frame compromise.

Trashy bitch is given a few fines but pretty much gets off easy.

I feel like I was robbed that day. I was hoping that nice car would be mine someday.

You're gunna be really devastated when they don't and you went all that time killing your car when you could have been saving money and sold that car to buy another.
Better hope you own a bicycle.

Moneys

>No dealer will touch user sourced parts
Literally every day. If your ECU fails you pull one from a junkyard and bring it do the dealer to reflash.

Damn. That's heartbreaking

Why the fuck did I even open this thread?

why he didn't just swap the engine
The show was starting to get shitty anyway.

Yeah unfortunately. I know she'll grenade herself within the next 50k miles. But something about it being my first car just makes me love it

That's how I know you've only read forums.
Dealers won't touch user sourced parts, and you cannot program the security on a modern factory ECU. It is burned in, you need a brand new ECU to program it. If you want to hack a used one you can to bypass the security. Other than that you're looking at aftermarket solutions.

Yes... I care about my many cars more than I care about any single person. 'They mean a lot to me' is an understatement... some, I am more attached to than others. But for the most part, I feel as thouh I connect with my cars, and they become a part of me. Once I have had them for a couple of weeks or so. After that, I am unable to let them go.

>then again... I am an actual autist,and I assume that this is probably not normal.