Fairlady 300zx/350z/370z thread

Fairlady 300zx/350z/370z thread.
I'm curious what you all like or dislike about them. For those of you who own one, tell us what you've done to it or plan on putting in it.
I recently picked up a JDM Z33 for $5k and plan to put in an aftermarket oil cooler and air intake right away.

I'm curious too. Polite sage.

I think they're ugly, and after I came to that conclusion I stopped thinking about them.

The 300zx is really cool imo. Made great power for it's time, even if the engine compartment is packed as fuck. That's just good use of space for the engineering team.
But they scare away enthusiasts because they are so hard to work on and all the TT engines have been romped.

The 350z has aged terribly but the 370z did a great job with making it look good again. Good sports cars, not great. Pretty good engines. Nothing spectacular about them.

I like mine so far, it needed quite a bit of maintenance when I bought it but I got such a good deal on it and nismos are very rare so I can't complain too much.

so far I've done the following:

Z1 stage 1 clutch kit with lwf
zspeed hd csc
new oem master cylinder
prothane poly diff mounts
Z1 poly engine mounts
Torque solutions poly trans mount
Z1 driveshaft (you can't service ujoints on stock driveshaft, so had to replace)
Torque solutions short shifter
Carbon fiber nismo shift knob
Custom catback straight pipes

Next plans:
new tires
resonated test pipes
z1 headers

Really? It's one of my favourite car designs, the angled hatch/rear window and rounded bumper looks really sexy imo

What do they make around after bolt on whp? Is e85 in future ?
I really think this is last na z we will ever see, take care of it.

Might do e85 if I can't make my goals with full bolt ons but I'm aiming for 330-350whp on 93 octane. It should be possible with headers, test pipes, catback exhaust, plenum, better intakes and bigger throttle bodies. Z1 motorsports says their headers, plenum and test pipe combo makes 310whp on 93 octane and injen claims their intakes pick up 16whp so we'll see once I have the money for everything+a tune.

I don't think intake will make 16whp with all the mods together. Maybe just intake alone might make that much.

Maybe not but injen was a very well designed cai for these cars I could see it making a good difference, especially with the twin throttle body setup.

>I'm curious what you all like or dislike about them

>300zx
too heavy, too slow even in TT form
not nearly as pretty as supras or rx7s
cheap tho for what they are

>350z
slow, non turbo, boring v6
sound surprisingly good tho
meant to make good learner drift cars
actually brettygud considering the price point they are now.
horrific interior.

>370z
nice car with decent looks that have aged nicely
still slow and fat
still too expensive to drift/destroy so really just a pigfat cruiser
nicer interior but really needs a factory turbo option

>370z looks good
Lmao its hideous. I cant think of an uglier car.

See I actually prefer the looks of the 350z nismo over any 370z but people think I'm crazy for this. The 370z got angry eye headlights and squished chinky tail lights. Maybe I'm just biased...

(not my nismo but using picture for comparison to 370z)

I would agree. It goes like this.
350z Nismo > 370z > 370z Nismo > 350z

What is even the purpose of 350Z/370Z? I mean, its not THAT extremely fast, its not lightweight, it doesnt look luxurious, interior is cheap and badly designed, its not fuel efficient, its not practical and its not comfortable. Reliability? Or even that doesnt apply to these Nissans?

why don't you get a corolla if you care so much about economy faggot

user, Im just curious in which category it is placed. Well, surely enough its not econobox. So what is it?

I see it as a sportcar that's nothing but car, none of the bells and whistles. The point I guess is to make something for people that don't care about interior luxury, and just want a RWD and mid-end engine to work on. It's similar for all other vehicles in the $30k sportcar market, like the FR-S, BRZ, Genesis, Miata, etc. They're cheap enthusiast vehicles. If you wanted more, just get the GT-R

The 350 is a girl's car, the 370 is ugly and the Z32 is just a pigfat version of the Z31 god machine.

It may not excel at any of those things but it is decent at them all. Let me give you an example. I'll compare it to the 05-09 mustang gt because I think that's a similarly priced car that offers similar performance.

>not THAT extremely fast
Both the 07-08 350z vs 07-09 mustang both have 300hp, mustang has more torque but 350z handles way better.
>not lightweight
no, but again, it's lighter than the mustang
>doesn't look luxurious
not even sure what this means but I get stopped countless times and asked about my car, granted I have the nismo but still it gets more attention than my BMW 335xi used to get me.
>interior is cheap and badly designed
cheap yes, the layout is good though and again, it's about on par with the mustang in terms of plastic trash the ages poorly
>not fuel efficient
No but way better than any V8 sports car
>not practical
Well it isn't really suppose to be, but I daily mine just fine
>not comfortable
I'm 6'2" with some back problems and don't have any issues with it
>Reliability
Above average but nothing great

Price point is where it wins though. Getting a sub 100k car for around 8k is cake. 05-09 mustang gt with sub 100k will be north of 10k.

350z looks like its own car, whereas the 370z just looks like a mini-version of the GTR.

I can only speak for the 300zx because I'm not really a fan of the later cars.

Like: It's an obtainable high quality sport tourer. It's small in size relative to newer cars and everything is packaged neatly, mostly within the short and wide wheelbase. This makes it pretty toss-able even though "pigfat". Also like that it comes with LSD (albeit viscous), a stout transmission, and a tune-able engine stock. The multi-link front and rear suspension is a great starting point.

Dislike: The stock 11" brakes are a joke for this size car. The stock seating position is a bit awkward for people with longer torsos. And of course I wish it were a bit lighter and easier to work on, but those are byproducts of nearly every 90's tech all crammed in a small package.

Biggest dislike (this applies to all Z32/Z33/Z34): the owners are mostly complete douchebags.

Mods on my Z32: coilovers, brakes, adjustable suspension links, intake, exhaust, wheels and tires, bucket seat and steering wheel.

I have one. Acutally my second one. Had a TT, sold it, got a E46 M3, liked it but sold it. Got another Z32TT.

They are fast. Mine is built, with a stock block. Bigger turbos, intercoolers, more fuel, big dp, and exhaust. Makes mid 400s on 20lbs.

Down side is, if shit goes wrong, you gotta pull the engine.

They are the best Z car. I was looking at a C5 zo6, while looking at this car, and the build of the nissan from 1994 was better than gm from 2004. I also got it for half the price.

Metal intake pipes heat soak like mad. Wrap those in some insulation.

In my opinion the 370z is a great looking car, but extremely outdated now, being now 2017 and the car rolled out in 2009 and nothing has really changed other then a few minor things.

Pathetic Nissan knows how to kill a lineup, and the 370z IMO is overpriced for what you get especially for whats in available in the market now a days. Don't even get me started how pathetic the 2018 370z is..

What didn't you like about the m3?

I'm not that guy but I assume the fact that it has a peaky engine and is generally not as fast as it looks. With pretty limited bolt-on power improvement potential to boot..

>overpriced for what you get
Here in Germany both a Mustang GT and a V8 Camaro cost 7-10k more than a 370Z Pack ("Sport" in the US I think? The one with the LSD and better brakes). Dodge only sells the Corvette over here.
It's the cheapest NA sports cars you can buy new at this performance level.
The only alternatives to give up on NA (Ecoboost mustang), on going fast (MX-5) or on the sports car look (hot hatches are everywhere).

t. Z fanboy

Have had 2 300ZX: 1 standard 2+2 NA and 1 modified 2+2 TT

I hated the N/A and loved the TT; there's a world of difference between the two in terms of performance.

Like: the look of the car (once you swap the rims/tires, the OEM ones are too small for my liking), the amount of power gains with minimal modding, headroom, the pod controls

Dislikes: under the hood room by far is my biggest complaint, the OEM brakes, tires and rims are really inadequate in my opinion, steering wheel position (I hit my knee with my hand when I go into a severe turn)

I have a full engine rebuild to a stage 3 / E85 conversion ongoing at the moment so I might make a thread when I get all the parts because I never messed with alternative fuel systems before (outside of electric cars)

Makes sense why Europeans like the Z. Over here, a new mustang gt can be had for cheaper than a new 370z so it makes no sense to pay more for a car with 100 less hp and less practicality.

Dodge does not produce the corvette, that is Chevrolet