reaper.fm/
mega.nz/#F!VQICXBRK!tdrVd1c4z9Hrq9fhT_TkSw
panstas.itch.io/world-of-horror
youtube.com/watch?v=rtGT9_C6tV0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for anime.

Please get out of my thread. Thank you.

Help me come up with names for characters

Some guy asked me to make a blog for my game.

sidecharacterblog.wordpress.com/

Shotgun
Reloads one shell everytime you press reload.
Has a shit ton of kick, so you can do big jumps with it, or it can mess up your positioning if ur a dummy. Also it ricochets but I'm gonna make it not do that.

Added a battle transition, visible enemies, and a basic status effect.

>a virus shaped virus
Are you havin a giggle? Looks nice, is this Etrian Odyssey in cyberspace?

I'm going for a more First Person Mystery Dungeon in Cyberspace feel

When you're spotted by the drones it's a bit too noisy. Looks like you're getting hit by lasers, too.

A transparent always-on cone is how other games do it. Yellow -> Red when spotted.

Or you could have have an exclamation point pop up when they spot you, and players will be able to understand from the difference in behavior.

What does VR stand for?

Why does he jerk off the shotgun before blasting the door?

>fix one issue with game's design
>still 50 more to do
Ok thats enough dev for this month

But really, do people still play roguelikes? Or should I try to make a proper rpg?

Yeah, its on 1 frame off 2, so it looks weird when recorded. We're trying to avoid transparency for stylistic reasons, so blinking is our attempt at a solution. The lines drawn are their fov, so I think they should be always be drawn. Getting rid of the scanline effect might help.
I hit reload 4 times to get 4 more shells, feels kinda cool

That's not how it works though. If you've ever played Left 4 Dead you'll notice they just put 4 shell into the shotgun, instead of cocking it 4 times.

Even a non-transparent cone seems like it'd look better. Would it be possible to show me a short clip of the effect with no dropped frames?

(PS I'm a stupid hack, so don't worry about my feedback too much!)

People still play rougelikes. That's one thing I don't think will die for a while

>do people still play roguelikes?
Real ones, yeah.
But everybody burnt out on the roguelites and most are starting to realize it wasn't a good idea in the first place.

Hmm. Or maybe not.

Also I just noticed the effect is a bit more detailed than I thought, after zooming in. I guess the small nature of the .webm might also be unfairly affecting how it looks.

It is wrong, but its a first implementation. I'll probably fix it in a couple days or so. Scout's scattergun in TF2 works like this one I guess, but it doesn't really make sense.

I'm really digging roguelites that are closer to roguelikes. There aren't too many entries like this though.

Vagante is pretty damn cool, for example.

This might be 60fps.

Ah. Yeah that's much more tolerable.

Phew

On a scale of Rogue to RoR, how roguelike should a roguelike be?

~*in my opinion*~

A roguelike should be very like rogue, but with some novel shit to make it worth existing.

A roguelite should be heavily inspired by rogue, but changing core elements to be palatable in an action format.

If it looks annoying in a video, it'll look bad in a trailer. Changing it to be more trailer friendly is probably a good idea.

No unlocks
No premade rooms
If it needs level design to be good (platformer) it shouldn't be roguelite

use tumblr

newfags always shit on tumblr

?

those darn newfags.

Veeky Forums meme all around is to hate on tumbler (re: degenerates, shit art, low quality interaction with others).

They'll kneejerk shit on you for having a tumbler, for associating with that. I mean it's easy to ignore, but there that is.

>tfw unironically making a turn based bullet hell where you control gravity
I am become Molyneux, destroyer of projects

vitiligo elephant is gross looking.

yep but it's different for game dev. it's a legitimate platform to gather a following. nobody on /agdg/ is going to shit on you for having a gamedev tumblr blog.

Aside from aforementioned newfags wandering in. ie the whole reason I mentioned them.

What the fuck are you on about? Who cares what they think, tumblr is convenient for following devs and I won't bother checking your external blog, unless it's beyond amazing.

Nuclear Throne, Binding of Isaac, and Risk of Rain only work as roguelites, and they're amazing games

There's PLENTY of room for the genre to grow

For some reason roguelites trigger people, but established genres with loads of kusoge entries pass under their radar.

the difference is people who make RL's dont know theyre trash.

Roguelites.

A true rogue-like is turn based. Most of the "rogue-lites" are not.

This is why people get triggered.The genre has changed to be less tactical and more about twitch skill.

Any RL can easily be made better with hand-made progression.

The character is a Weapon Master
One resource, the character gains when they attack and are attacked. They spend it to use abilities.
The other resource is gains over time while attacking, and it increases your total damage dealt. If you stop attacking, it starts decreasing.

What should these resources be called?

Roguelites piss me off because I sometimes see games that got neat looking gameplay or nice aesthetic going, games that could potentially be great if they didn't have the roguelite shit in them.

I made that post literally minutes after losing a run in Nethack, I'm aware of the distinction.
I was disputing that:
>everybody burnt out on the roguelites and most are starting to realize it wasn't a good idea in the first place.

Nuclear Throne, Binding of Isaac, and Risk of Rain are really fucking good games that made lots of money.

I would get bored of them if I didn't have good runs and bad runs. It's nice to have bad luck to blame your loss on, and good runs to make you feel powerful and get excited about how far you might make it.
It's almost impossible to make a game that's always exciting that people will play for hours on end. There need to be ups and downs

>basing your fun off RNG
>you can only have ups and downs with RL
You people are lost.

Well that the thing, I don't want to play every little game out there for hours on end.
I want to beat it a couple of times and see all the good shit that there is in those runs, not play 50 times hoping I get a random numbers that gives me something new to see this run.

RNG is a very effective way to get replay value out of your game, and demand mastery of mechanics, rather than specific pre-made situations.
I don't think it's necessary, but it can add a lot of replay value and introduce interesting situations the player of a linear game would either never see, or come to expect.

Roguelites existing don't stop other games from existing

There should be an element of luck that can be mitigrated. Games like BoI are beatable at base level, but it fucking blows to do so.

If you don't get damage upgrades, your playthroughs are fucking horrible.

>RNG is a very effective way to get replay value out of your game
This is only said by creatively bankrupt people trying to rationalize their own short-comings with not being able to make an actual game.
>dude play how you want
>except you cant lmao

I agree completely. I'm working on one of AGDG's >semi-procedurally generated room-based Roguelites
and I took special care to stomp out no-win situations and make the game beatable from level 1

I suggest you place the camera a bit higher off the ground. Feels a bit more comfortable, unless you're specifically going for that.

>play how you want
>except when you can't

In a game like Binding of Isaac, it's totally possible to have garbage playthroughs because of luck.

The sheer amount of terrible items in it is unacceptable. Edmund has seen fit to make his game worse with every iteration.

As long as you balance items to be acceptable in almost every circumstance, then it's fine. If you make a shitload of items that are downright bad, or situational, then it dilutes your item pool.

And yet you try to deny RL's arent an inherently shitty genre.

they have a particular market.

I don't think they're bad. They're often boring as shit and feel totally out of your hands which is why they don't appeal to everyone.

That being said, "great level design" is a thing for english major burnouts on youtube.

ambientdev.itch.io/seasons-past-dd14

new test version of my game, if anyone wants to give me feedback on how it feels download "Seasons Past v12" from the page, not the demo day version

Is pre seeding a public key bad practice?

Quick! Lend me your energy!

>crayons are an inherently shit medium

>That being said, "great level design" is a thing for english major burnouts on youtube.
Oh boy, namecalling, the sure sign of a solid argument..
>RLet compares his genre to a children's tool
wew

pictured left: roguelike enjoyers

youtube.com/watch?v=flJbl2Ebzkc&list=PL836DDC1A20726279

I feel the same way about knights in the nightmare. I wish that game was just a normal srpg. why did they have to ruin it with weird needlessly convoluted mechanics?

youtube.com/watch?v=KRpw-8vxZag

streamable.com/gfy3a

working on making a BFG type sound

>not having Anura, the Frogatto & Friends game engine in the list
it's the only and true way to make a platformer

the difference between 5'11 and 6'1 is 2in or 5.08cm, half the length of your finger unless you're trump

>rotating guns
every fucking time

stop using the frogpost-based memes

which daw is that

reaper.fm/

Will you buy my game?

Yeah and then I will ask for a refund

>Open project and stare at it for 30 mins writing code and then deleting it over and over again.
>Open up some videos and watch them with project open not doing anything
>Start a new project get a game loop going print some stuff out and then close the project
>Open old project make a few class files, write some boilerplate code, delete class files
>Feel like I can't think of anything to do because my project sucks and I start thinking of new projects

NO. It's 5 AM and I need to go to sleep, but tomorrow I'm going to open the same project I've been working on and make it better, even a little better, even if 12 hours of coding make it a minuscule amount better I'm not fucking restarting again. NOT AGAIN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sorry for the bedtime blogpost.

>find an interesting mechanic
>learn how to make it
>make a prototype testing it
>never actually work on a game
i don't know why i feel like i'll get overwhelmed if i start to combine mechanics and actually finish something

Need some art?

GODOT 3 WHEEEEEEEEEEEN
IM TIRED OF WAITING

then don't wait, 2.1.3 is enough for most stuff

It will cum faster if you go to the github and solve the pending issues.

new stuff

Just started out. This is going to be an RPG. Getting the first concepts ready.

Repostan monster jam reference
mega.nz/#F!VQICXBRK!tdrVd1c4z9Hrq9fhT_TkSw

>creates new game
>starts off with making a menu

what's the gameplay? got any demo yet?

>not starting a game with a full month of worldbuilding in seclusion
Your game is over.

It's the official way to avoid actually working on your game.

it's a turn-based roguelite visual-novel card dungeon crawler with rpg elements
panstas.itch.io/world-of-horror
youtube.com/watch?v=rtGT9_C6tV0

It's the official way to avoid actually working on your game.

how the fuck do you implement cutscenes without turning everything into a spaghetti code? i'm starting to think that i should make a cutscene manager with it's own actors that are not related to the actual game objects so i don't need to have "if on_cutscene:" and automatic movement code everywhere

Only if you're not interested.

Just as I thought, yet another shitposter. Well, looks like my search continues.

I wasn't sure you'd fit the bill, but this seals the deal. Consider yourself on the team. Check your inbox.

post your devlog tumblrs
right now

Is there a better time of day for an artist to find a game to work on, or is this place always this way?

At what time do you usually post your art?

>turn-based roguelite visual-novel card dungeon crawler with rpg elements
not sure how to feel about that

>/agdg/ used to have fun oc and fanart
>now all we're left with is /r9k/, artless artists and frogpost memes

And still no games. I guess some things never change