How can someone keep a car for 1 million miles?

How can someone keep a car for 1 million miles?
At some point it would be cost prohibitive to get it serviced.
I doubt a judge has any mechanical skills

theoretically a car can live forever if you really treat it well and do maintenance almost every week.

The only thing that will do a million miles without rebuilding or replacing everything is a semi tractor. All those million+ mile Volvo's, Diesel Mercedes, Etc all are on their 2nd or third engine, tranny, etc and thousands in repairs. Worth it when you could of put that towards a new vehicle? I don't think so. It's why fleet trucks are replaced before they get too clapped out.

the volvo with three or so million miles is on its original engine

*engine block. Doubt it's on it's stock internals.

>new engines and trannies

Maybe a new gear here and there if the owner didn't know how to fucking shift

I understand replacing shocks and bushings but little else. Most things will last longer than the bodywork on the car GRANTED YOU DO NOT ABUSE THEM.

Fleet trucks are also driven by fleet employees, which I would bet is way worse than any of these million-mile cars were ever driven

True. 500k fleet miles are more impressive than a million driving to church and getting groceries miles imo.

>I doubt a judge has any mechanical skills

lol wat? i have a blue collar job in the finance industry but I still do all my own wrenching. working on cars is not that hard, anyone can get into it with the right tools.

>i have a blue collar job in the finance industry
Are you a janitor at a bank?

fat marah's million mile lexus is on the same engine isnt it? ive seen ford barra equipped taxis getting close to 1m before a rebuild

it basically replace the car till it's 100% new

People in Australia roll over odometers all the time.

It's not 1 million, but my mother dodge stratus is nearing 600k. Only thing she's replaced so far is water pump/timing belt, the cat converter, and a couple of headlights/taillights.

IIRC it's had two rebuilds but is still using the original block and as many OEM parts that match original specifications as possible. Still, a million miles plus before a rebuild is pretty fuckin' good.

Relative had three of these and wore them all out with the same UD diesel engine up front.

Can you keep a twingo for 1 million miles?
I want an immortal twingo

This cannot be true because, according to Veeky Forums, Dodge products are not reliable.

I don't understand the moneys worth thing.
With that much mileage, he'd have spent double that on tyres alone, let alone brakes, rotors, fluids, filters, registration, etc etc etc.

But you have to buy tires, brakes, fluids, registration, etc. for every car.

Dude it's a corolla the only maintenance needed is new wheel bearings, ball joints and shocks if you care about handling. Spark plugs and points for the engine $2 ea and filters and oil...

Why do you think the maintenance would get more expensive over time?
Why do you think the maintenance would be more expensive than a newer, more complicated car?

>625,000miles
Holy shit, do people measure marathons/runs in km to get a bigger number?

>a Mopar that's not an unreliable shitbox

now THAT'S some kind of weird Dodge Stratus

Top Kek good one user

let's bring this meme back

Go away ringlands

No, SI derived units are simply the less retarded measurement so they're preferred in most of the world.

>every number is divisible by 10 so brainlets can easily divide them
>less retarded

Delusional doesn't even begin to describe you.

Remember the orbiter that crash because some dumbass at Lockheed was using imperial units?

Remember how AMERICA went to the moon - in metric?

(to be precise the computers accepted imperial but then converted the input to metric)

thats a cool looking wagon

>tyres alone, let alone brakes, rotors, fluids, filters, registration, etc etc etc.

cheaper than a new car

It didn't cross my mind until I remembered my mom got it new when I started high school.

I think she's getting rid of it soon tho. She's closet to retiring and wants a convertible. She's been eyeing this solstice.

that's even more impressive if it has the 2.7.

use only the purest french wine as fuel and ze stinkiest cheese for oil.

Maintain according to the manufactures specifications.
Use only genuine parts installed by a certified technician.

I agree on manufacturers specifications, my step-dad used to change oil every 30k km (where the maximum il 15k on syntetic and far less on conventional) just to say "how is it possible that the engine disintegrated itself at 300k?" He totaled 3 car this way.

If you maintain the car regularly and replace worn parts, why shouldn't a car be able to break 1mil? Especially any easily repairable japanese econobox from before the age of bloated safety regulation.

C.. Can I play?

>can easily divide them
only along certain lines before you get into insignificant figures or irrational numbers
that's why imperial changes base all the time

>1/2
10 5 2.5 1.25 0.625
8 4 2 1 .50
60 30 15 7.5 3.75
12 6 3 1.5 0.75

>1/3
10 3.333333333333333 1.111111111111111 0.3703703703703704
8 2.666666666666667 0.888888888888889 0.2962692692692693
60 20 6.666666666666667 2.222222222222222 0.7407407407407407
12 4 1.333333333333333 0.444444444444444 0.1481481481481481

>1/16

>1/30

nah, the 4 cylinder 2.4

Who uses 1/* ?

If it's smaller, use .**

Because eventually the piston rings wear out, the bearings go bad, the valves get coated with carbon, the valve seats wear out, the valve guides start to leak, the timing belt/chain wears out, the oil pump goes bad, and lots of other stuff as well.

Most (sane) people would decide, when the mechanic tells them they need an engine rebuild, and that it's going to cost $7500 to repair a car that is currently worth $500, that it's time to get a new car. At that point it's really not justifiable to keep repairing it, as the cost of repairs is more than the car is worth, and won't increase the value of the car any further. Logically, the car should be replaced at that point, probably with something that costs less than the repair bill would.

It takes a special kind of stupid and/or insanity to keep pumping money into a shitbox that's worth scrap value instead of just getting something else. It also takes quite a lot of money, as I don't know any garages that offer financing for repair charges, so when that thing needed a new head gasket or transmission or whatever, this dude must have been flush enough to just dump thousands of dollars into a nearly worthless car for no apparent reason.

Holy kek

holy fuck

because fractions and lots of wrenches
its not quite as bad as how thousandth of an inch are used

no doubt.

there are many with way over 300k and I saw even ones with way over 400 and also even pic related.

>lots of wrenches
You mean the 1/2, 3/4 and shit? Normal sockets are in mm.

>$7500
>for new rings and valve stem seals
Mate you don't have a fucking clue how cheap and easy it is to rebuild old corollas.

>500,000k's is newsworthy

Just get a Toyota.

Eh, if he took it to a dealer he'd probably be in for more than that.

The point is, eventually, the cost of repairs becomes greater than the cost of the car, at which point most people just get a new car. This guy didn't, and now he's famous for (presumably) consistently making poor financial choices for an extended period of time. Though that also applies to people who build show cars, so whatever really.

thats ridiculously impressive

my chrysler cirrus (same car, but crappy mitsu engine) lasted 50k mi before it shat itself

Is that Fatt Marah's millun mile Laxus?

But the cost if repairing is considerably less than the cost of a new car so no it's not a poor financial decision.
Cars are not an investment, their value does not matter, the only thing that matters is the ongoing running costs and paying a huge chunk of money for a brand new car is a big blow to the ongoing running cost.

You could rebuild the entire running gear of that corolla several times over for the price of a new car.

Jesus christ, how do people not get this. The 'value' of the car is whatever you sell it for, if you don't intend to sell it, then the value is meaningless.

Or, if you're an autistic hobbyist with too much spare time, you could go to a pick-and-pull and find an engine with 50k miles on it for $500 and do everything yourself. There's something magical about ersatz self-repair. Obviously if you were adding time-value into the equation it wouldn't make sense, but if car maintenance/repair itself is fun, I'd say it's worth it.

well to be fair, if you're paying more in maintenance fees than you would with monthly payments, maybe it's better to get a better car (used or not)

Cost of maintenance vs fuel consumption difference, monthly fees, interest rate and cost of maintenance
Luckily for car manufacturers people are not rational about their fashion statements.

I've got 2 spare motors for ops car in my car port right now, they do not cost $500, a whole car wouldn't cost you $500, not that it matters because the engine will never die anyway.

Why would you be?
The regular running costs don't get any higher as the car gets older. Granted after a certain mileage bearings/bushings/etc wear out, replace them and they're good for another x.thousand miles again.

On a similar note, take my pickup. Whilst not a huge mileage, it's had decades of neglect (27 of which were sat in a field). It's needed a lot of work to repair/replace knackered parts, nearly the entire running gear has been replaced. But like magic, it's now good for another couple hundred thousand miles.

Lets go wild and say it cost 10K to have all the work done (it accutally cost me in the region of 4). Lets go wild and say i have to do it all again in 10 years, making it 1 grand a year. Meanwhile my dad's last car (mazda 6) lost 8k in value in two years. So how exactly does buying a new car save money?

It's not really a poor financial choice when you already know the car and know what is next on the list of things to do.

I have been bitten hard twice buying a new shitheap that I thought was better than my old shitheap. I looked it over well and there wasn't much wrong with them so I got my budgeting together to make it right with some added contingency. The things I looked at and checked out ok decided to shit themselves not too long after I took over the car and had wish I kept my old shitbox and just rebuilt the tranny (for one) and engine (for the other).

$7500 on a Toyota Corolla top end rebuild is ridiculous.

Remanufactured long block, if you break $2,500 you are spending a lot, and these bitches have a warranty.

Throw on another $2000 on there for shit and giggles and you are still waaaaay cheaper just fixing your heap than buying a different heap with a different set of problems.

Noice mate.

suppose mine aint
its handy for working on cars from the 1980s that have a mix of imperial and metric bolts

Danke.

Whilst it's somewhat relevant, i'm on the 4th engine in the truck (mostly due to swapping things around with various projects) and have finally dropped in a brand new crate motor. £2,600 after tax and delivery n whatnot. Not exactly breaking the bank for how long engines last between rebuilds.

>the reason i'm constantly swapping/changine engines into things.

That and it takes less than 5 hours, from driving in to out of the garage, to replace the engine & 'box.

Gotta love that old-fashioned engineering.

Thats not unheard of for a toyota. I know people in real life who made it to over a million miles in a toyota sienna with regular maintenance. They were poor too.

That's not so true, my Dodge has been fine so far to 250k
Only replaced:
Cylinder head
Valve cover
Power steering pump
Inner tie rod
Pass front wheel bearing
Rear axle
Belt tensioner
Front driveshafts
About 5 ac compressors
Thermostat
Radiator
Fan clutch
Brake lines
Rear springs
Ac condenser fan
Front lower ball joints
Rear shocks
Pcv hose

>5hrs
Nah that's too long mate.
I've gotta corolla like op and it's about half an hour to disconnect everything and you can lift it out by hand with 2 people - fluids and all. A large man could probably lift it out on his own with a bit of a struggle if you took the manifolds off and drained the fluid. I lifted a short block onto an engine stand and bolted it up on my own. I love small engines.

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, used by a cab company, claims it's on the original engine. Wonder how many transmissions it went through

maybe the name of the cab company has something to do with it

That wasn't what I was implying, faggot.
People measure marathons in commie in the US when no one uses it here.

Sounds like something an Audi owner would say, justifying their purchase.

It's a little bit of truth mixed with some Veeky Forums memes. Late 90s and early 2000s Chrysler products did have a reputation of having issues. But you will always find some exceptions to the rules. My Dad had a 1996 Dodge Intrepid that had over 200k miles before he sold it and the thing ran like a champ. It really wasn't until Daimler came along is when Chrysler really shit the bed.

>ameridumbs are defending their retarded measurement system again

it doesn't matter if you put an american flag on a fucking dog turd, americans would most likely defend it

I did all the work myself, so not really, no

>get it serviced
>Not saving thousands of dollars doing your own maintance.
The only things I've paid labor for are alignments and tire mounting/balancing.

250k and you replaced half of the car already. I wouldn't call that reliable.

"Okay user it's just had an engine rebuild so take it easy."
Dispatch - "(Callsign) Uncovered cardiac arrest, 50 year old male..."

These fuckers who think retired ambulances make great campers are idiots. In fact, mechanics who ask you take it easy on an emergency vehicle are idiots.

>At some point it would be cost prohibitive to get it serviced.
Literally no?

>I doubt a judge has any mechanical skills
Projecting?

>I'm an EMS btw
no one cares lol

>no one cares lol

Okay? No one asked you, lol

Not only is it cheaper to maintain an old car, but it's also more environmentally friendly. A couple of thousand dollars for a motor and box rebuild every half million kilometres in a big deal.

I think its cheating if you have to rebuild the transmission, or engine in that set mileage.

I got a mechanic who works off the record for $30 / hour. He's quite adept at finding cheap or 2nd hand parts, saving every penny.
Unless the engine fails completely or the chassis rusts through, it's most certainly cheaper to keep my car running as long as possible.

The million mile tundra had completely original engine and the transmission only had been repaired because reverse went out at 750k miles.

You know for a judge hes pretty stupid since this thing is a death trap and public safety issue to everyone around it. We need to stop celebrating this kind of shit. This is no normal. We need to stop patting sick people on the head because they held on to a steamer a bit too long.

>more environmentally friendly
That depends on the car.

Learn from this guy. You will need a well built car for starters.

It depends on the car, I had a Honda Accord with 460,000 miles when I sold it to a Honda mechanic.
I bought it at 80k, replaced 3 radiators, 1 distributor, 1 alternator, and several mufflers along with belts and hoses.
I only sold it because it was getting too rusty.

And biweekly oil changes.

No less safe than a brand new stanced shitbucket.

From what I can find a 1975 Corolla gets an average fuel economy of 18mpg.
A 1984 Corolla according to fueleconomy.gov pulled an average of 29mpg
I think about 2 dollars per gallon is a fair mean average fuel price from 1980 until now. By refusing to upgrade his fudmobile in 1984 (we'll assume 900,000 of those miles were driven after 1984) and losing out on just 11 miles per gallon over that time he cost himself a grand total of $163,000. He also polluted more.

Now calculate that for a BMW Isetta...

Nou

As far as I'm aware, the construction of a new car has a much more substantial impact compared to a high fuel consumption

That depends on the total mileage and fuel consumtion of the car as well as on the way it is constructed.
But keeping a car with like 10 mpg for 1.000.000 miles is worse than getting a 50 mpg fuel saver at 500.000 miles.
Or at least swap the engine to a more efficient one like the dirt cheap 1KR-FE.

>10mpg to 50mpg
Unless youre going from giant truck to mini moke, you aren't gonna see these fuel gains.

I get 80 mpg on my hatch, so 50 mpg shouldn´t be hard.

Mileage should not be accounted for after engine/transmission rebuild. Nothing to brag about if you end up refurbishing the whole drive train before 1 million miles

I went from a jeep wrangler to a prius and those fuel gains are almost exactly what I saw.

he must like his corolla. bretty nice to be honest.

i know a guy whos about to put 800k miles on his studebaker.

Most modern cars wont make it to 250k, let alone 500k

The old guzzler still wins out