Motors n stuff

What's your favorite motor Veeky Forums? Why?
>I've always had a thing for the "classic" V6

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0VOtIFfE_jQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The LS platform

Nice, have you done much work on them? Or just enjoy the driving experience?

literally the best engine ever invented

Iron Duke

I identify with it a lot. It's slow, it's heavy, it's boring, and no one told it it should have died twenty years ago so it keeps showing up to work anyway.

2nd best

Thats dark... I like you

VVTI 1JZ

thank you based crazy engineer.
honorable mention to hungarians

why? because water is a jews thing

H22 muh rpms

Looks clean, I like the blue accents on the piping

Ah yes, the dreamy and memey VTEC
All jokes aside its actually a pretty clever/interesting design

Looks like I have some reading to do, don't know much about 356's desu

Why do you like it better than 2jz?

The V6 is the worst engine platform. It lacks the balance, smoothness and simplicity of an inline 6 and the torque and power of a V8.

H4 is worse
Literally every single drawback of a v6...
Plus all of the drawbacks of an I4, and none of the advantages...
...With an even worse power to weight ratio....

>worst
No, not worst, not ever.

They aren't the best for reasons you described but modern technology produces very smooth v6's which are light, compact, fast revving, powerful and economical which makes the ideal for higher end passenger cars.
There is a reason EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER now makes a quad-cam alloy v6 with 200+ kw - Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan they're all making v6s and it's not because they are the "worst".

>subie owners talk about their car's boxer as a positive attribute

No, it's because muh packaging and that's it

to be fair you can fit a v6 in basically anything with any drivetrain layout the same can not be said about i6 and most v8s

Plenty of engines are compact.
Why do all these manufacturers choose the v6 over say a v4?
Because it's not just "muh packaging" you delusional faggot, the v6 is a good engine and if you'd ever owned one you know that.

S54B32, remarkable engine

N52 is my second favorite, most reliable I6 ever

> (You)
>Plenty of engines are compact.
Yeah a .9l i3 diesel is smaller than a 9l v8 bbc, doesn't mean it's the ideal choice for a sports car
>Why do all these manufacturers choose the v6 over say a v4?
Because if they're gonna be retarded and make an unbalanced engine that's gonna shake itself apart, why be extra retarded and make everything harder and more expensive than an i4 while losing power and efficiency
>Because it's not just "muh packaging" you delusional faggot, the v6 is a good engine and if you'd ever owned one you know that.
That's where you would be wrong kiddo, but you would know that if you ever owned a car. Ive owned 2 v6s, one sports car one small suv, and the only reason they used them was muh packaging so they could shrink the size of the engine bay and so they could be shared with the rest of the transverse fwd cuckfleet. V6 does aboslutely not a single thing better than i6 other than be shorter.

My favourite. Sure working on her is a bitch, but it's all labour of love.

How hard is it to work on?
Do you need to take the manifolds out to change the sparkplugs?
What about the air filters?

Your post doesn't even make sense, but I suppose that's the kind of cognitive dissonance you need to think an engine which all manufacturers are increasingly moving towards is"the worst".

pic related is best dorito
>930 hp @ 10500 rpm
>titanium rotors
>silicon carbite apex seals
>BRAPNRAPBRAPBRAP

>individual throttle bodies
>variable length intake runners
>3- spark plugs/rotor
muh dick

Audi gets a lot of shit on here, but you've gotta respect the old straight-5 turbo. Sounds mean as hell and plenty of people have gotten 900hp+ out of them. Reliably.
From 2.2 liters.

>80 mpg (gas) without hybrid
>no tarbos
>just works forever since understressed as fuck
>forged internals and only 15 m/s piston speed at max. rpm
>cheap spare parts for tuning (cylinder head for 50€, headgasket for 5€)
>works with every shitbox oil from 15W30 to 0W20
>sounds awesome

>they even improved fuel economy

Iron Duke was kinda smooth for its time. Way smoother than the 2.0 or the brash quad 4.

Engine configuration does not dictate torque.

Displacement, volumetric efficiency, combustion and compression do, no matter how the cylinders are arranged.

Old Chevy straight 6. Smooth as glass and can run with no oil. It makes its own oil or something. Not a powerhouse but it will outlast the vehicle by orders of magnitude.

Great answers. Any love for the BMW v10? Or the Toyota century v12?

yes, YES
air cooled all the way
trust me I am a home made hungarian

non W12 cucks need not apply
look at this powerplant, its not an engine
>12
because fuck you 12 is more than 8
>W
because fuck you vv is more than v

chevy small block cucks 8 cylinder ONLY cucks BTFO

You are like little baby
Watch this

V12>>>>>>W12

Can vouch for this.
Muh truck was parked in a field for 20-30 years, and my friend who I got the truck from got it running in the field by pouring a little oil in it, and gas down the carburetor. Its still running great since then with no carburetor rebuild or engine rebuild needed.

>Everyone is doing it, so it must be good!

gm btfo

>V6 "motors"
lmao

>those welds on the carb

>carbs
These are throtlle bodies for a EFI system...

Why is tarbo close to exhaust side

Because tarbo uses exhaust gas to compress intake air

shit
still those welds are horrendous

The closer it is to the exaust, the less the exaust gases cool down before entering it.
The less they cool down the more booost you can get.

what the fuck are you even trying to say dumb memester?

>he still thinks they're motors

get out.

What a fucking boat anchor. 1600hp from that? Heh.

they're better because they're not lazy boomer amerishit pushcuck lol boatanchors unlike every american engine ever

>all these buzzwords
Come on soviet, you can do better than that.

sorry that i like good non shit tier engines, americans are shit even if they have more power the motors are worse

lol btfo by anything, shitty engines made by shitty americans a d15 is better

"Non shit" as in being huge as fuck, Weak and unreliable? You could keep a promod going with the amount of yearly maintenance required on a Chiron.

>pushcuck delusion

yeah lol, too bad you get btfo by any supra because of your slow push cuck delusions

stay btfo

It just sounds so good, I'd take that over a B16 anytime.

Also, there aren't many 4 bangers with ITBs from the factory.

>elecuck
no, you fuck off
engines a best, but calling them motors is a shitty practice. All engines are motors but not all motors are engines.

These engines are good in stock for, but make shit for power unless you replace the ITBs with a standard manifold and throttle body

fuck off alphonse

>he can't differentiate between Alphonse and Soviet

>You could keep a promod going with the amount of yearly maintenance required on a Chiron.
You could keep losing races to a Chiron putting the amount of yearly maintenance required on it on modding an americunt car

you dont know what you're talking about, do you

>implying it's not the same guy
the dogfucker already exposed him

and in this post too

why is alphonse/ soviet such a slut for fomoco?

Yeah they're not good for making any more power than what they left the factory with, not without expensive mods. But it is to be expected from a small engine with a high specific output.

Not sure what you're talking about with the ITBs though, I've never heard of anyone retrofitting a single throttle body on this engine.

Yes, I know that you can stroke them and cam them, but it's more money than you would spend if you were going to turbo one of them, and in order to that reliably you have to delete the ITBs and replace them with a conventional IM and TB because the plenum box can't handle the boost and trying to tune ITBs for FI is a HUGE pain in the ass

Seriously? People who have tried to use the 20V head in turbo setups get conventional IMs and TBs because the ITBs are a bitch to tune for a turbo setup

he's contrarian and knows the majority loves chevy

>gm fangirl delusion

Late answers but no and no. Only one spark plug is fucked stupid to replace, it's behind the + post and nigh impossible to access unless you take out either the + post or remove the intake air temperature sensor and backplate from the intake manifold.

Aside fr that and generally being scarce in terms of space, it's quite easy to work on. Way more reliable than what memes and Veeky Forums make it out to be too.

Im not the cuck telling someone they are wrong for calling an ICE a motor

>delusion

I'm not the cuck calling an engine a "motor" as if it belongs on the same league as those electric abominations. My home A/C has a motor, my car has an engine.

because it runs off of exhaust gasses? Do you not understand how a turbo works?
Comes with a more efficent stock single turbo. Combine that manifold design with the 1JZs shorter stroke and you get a motor that sounds better in stock form. A vvti 1j is probably the best sounding stock inline 6 turbo that has ever come out of Japan.
youtube.com/watch?v=0VOtIFfE_jQ
>eggsauce sound on a stock straight piped vvti1j for reference

vvti 1jz also comes with variable valve timing which helps it spool turbos quicker. Makes 280hp and 280tq @ 2400rpms and holds it through out the powerband. Non-vvti JZs tent to have peaky power and torque curves. Good for top end speed but in most forms of motorsports, a 1jz-vvti will out-perform a 2jz from a supra if the power levels are equivalent.

Also that power figure is wrong, it makes closer to 320hp stock, I say this because owners of stock VVTi 1JZs have dynoed their cars with the stock ecu at anywhere from 250-270hp on the dyno

Well yeah most performance Japanese motors were slightly under-rated from the factory because of that gentleman's agreement. I turned the boost up to 12lbs and threw on some basic bolt-ons and made 319whp on my 1j. Great platform for cheap power

Good points but vvti 2jz exists.

Fuck yeah it is, that's why I want to swap one into an E36
What is your 1J in? Chaser? A70? IS?

Why not a 3S-GE or a 2ZZ-GE tho

vvti 2jz is okay but has a number of limitations. For one, the twin turbos it comes with stock are pretty shit and it's hard to make power with them. Sending them out to get rebuilt/upgraded is nearly 2x as expensive as upgrading the vvti 1jzs ct15. The VVTI 2J also has a smaller intake plenum and only 3 coil packs instead of 6. That and the aftermarket for the vvti 2jz is slightly smaller than the vvti 1j. You have less options when buying cams for the vvti 2j than the vvti 1j.

VVTI 2j is pretty solid but I'd still rather have a VVTI 1j unless I was building something like an aristo

1jz is in a JZX100. Actually it currently is out and is in a million pieces. Doing a basic refresh and slapping on a top mount garrett GTW3884r and supporting mawdz

No need to be an asshole about it. And two people already answered.

Was wondering why as it currently requires 9001 ft of intake piping that way.

also, JZ swaps in BMWs are my fetish
I would rather have 9001 feet of intake piping than have the turbo further forwards and be running a weird extended exhaust manifold set up. The way you worded your question seemed like you did not understand the basic principals of how a turbo works.

fpbp

What do you do insurance wise if someone were to crash your chaser? Trying to wrap my head around grey market cars and the insurance logistics.

>Florida plates
Nigga, you have got to tell me how you got that registered
>JZ swap BMWs are my fetish
Pic related