Can the "we're meant for space" meme die?

Can the "we're meant for space" meme die?
I seriously doubt humanity will ever get beyond this solar system, or even colonize our nearby neighbours significantly. And it's not just a matter of the technological capability.
If anything, history proves humanity's curiosity isn't enough to lead him to the edges of the world. If so, the Chinese and many other previous civilizations would have used their resources and technology to go and explore the world, but they didn't bother.

The space budget is also laughable compared to what, f.e., the military gets. That tells you we aren't exploring the universe at all costs. It seems more like an afterthought.

"Meant" is a strong word and it implies objectivity where none exists. I just think it's something we should strive for. We might fail, but it's worth a shot.

Sounds like a personal problem, OP.

Doesn't make any sense.
Veeky Forums needs to stop the "lemme le psychoanalyze u based on an super duper autist post xD"

Peoples predictions about the future tend to be outward expressions of their inner self worth.

There's no logical debate to be had about this, we can't predict the future.

Nice insecurities.

How about you elaborate on why you think advances in technology won't make space travel cost efficient enough to become a viable option for colonization and exploration.

Why are you citing the Chinese as an example when humans did explore the known world and continue to explore the known world? Why are you using an isolationist society as an example when there exist other societies with cultures that actively encourage curiosity and exploration?

All it needs is a financial incentive and we'll be out there in no time. As it is currently there's not much incentive beyond "it'd be cool" which is why it stalled, any money making opportunities are offset by the high cost of actually getting into space, but if you look at how many satellites we threw into orbit the second it was profitable to do so you'll notice money talks.

you seriously believe in the multi-billion year future of humanity that we won't get off this planet?

>w-we'll wipe ourselves out!
the only things that could possibly destroy the human race at this point are a large object collision like a gamma ray burst or an unfortunate comet, or intentional extermination. Neither of these things are likely and one would be solved by getting some peeps into space. can you explain a realistic scenario in which the human race dies out before space exploration?

>Peoples predictions about the future tend to be outward expressions of their inner self worth.

Then we can turn every discussion ever into a personal one, because all our interests and beliefs signify a personal dimension, a trauma, what have you.
That doesn't lead us anywhere.

>we can't predict the future

We can. Ever seen the weather forecast? Estimations can be made.

If anyone has issues here, it's you who wish to turn a topic about space expploration into a discussion about personal problems.

> Why are you using an isolationist society as an example when there exist other societies with cultures that actively encourage curiosity and exploration?

Most societies on Earth never bothered exploring the oceans and continents of the world, or even send out emissaries to the very edges. It wasn't just China.

And because the past tells us a lot about how human curiosity isn't enough to assume we are just going to tread ever forewards into the vastness of space.

>All it needs is a financial incentive and we'll be out there in no time

There you go. Our desire to know means shit. And the incentive isn't and won't be there with the current economic system.

But we're meant for survival though, and there's no long term survival on earth, we have to go out there eventually

We're not "meant" for anything. There's only possibilities.

>billion year future for humanity where extinction through a multitude of factors is not likely at all

Wew.

We're hard wired for survival, like all animals, it's an instinct, therefore we're meant for it

>That doesn't lead us anywhere.

Much like this conversation.

>We can. Ever seen the weather forecast? Estimations can be made.

You ever see a weather forecast for 100 years from now?

>Much like this conversation.

You made it that from the get-go. You only got yourself to blame, sociopathic fuckface.

>You ever see a weather forecast for 100 years from now?

Yeah, geology it's called.

You're mistaking causality for intent. Nature has no intent or meaning, it simply is.

as I said in ,

can you explain a realistic scenario in which the human race dies out before space exploration?

You already assert any extinction of any kind is highly unlikely. Why? You don't say.
It's only unlikely because you have no knowledge of the fossil record it seems. Or Big History for that matter.
So why even argue with you?

>You made it that from the get-go. You only got yourself to blame, sociopathic fuckface.

Because these conversations are, by their nature, pointless.

>Yeah, geology it's called.

Cute. But there are people making space exploration happen right now, all while your exposing your insecurities to a bunch of anonymous strangers on a Mongolian image board. I personally never doubt humans, because we're tenacious creatures who move heaven and earth to get what we want. And there's stuff to want in space, lots of it.

>Because these conversations are, by their nature, pointless.

So deep dude. Like we all die and shit.

>there are people making space exploration happen right now

There's lots happening right now. Doesn't mean it has any future.

>all while your exposing your insecurities to a bunch of anonymous strangers on a Mongolian image board

I guess that makes two of us. How are you enjoying this fight thus far?

>can you explain a realistic scenario in which the human race dies out before space exploration?
Consumes up easy to obtain energy sources.
Digital infrastructure crumbles, along with a lot of records.
We become post-feudal again.

Or Yellowstone or some other thing blows up or happens.

>Cute. But there are people making space exploration happen right now, all while your exposing your insecurities to a bunch of anonymous strangers on a Mongolian image board. I personally never doubt humans, because we're tenacious creatures who move heaven and earth to get what we want. And there's stuff to want in space, lots of it.
this delusion.

>this delusion.

Whats delusional? That people are working on this stuff right now or that humans find ways of obtaining what they want?

I don't care what you think.

Lol, I laugh at the idea of people assuming the Hellenic world will just be overrun by barbaroiand turned into a museum piece by those very barbaroi.

I honestly can't, lol.

Nuclear war (If you say this is unrealistic you underestimate how retarded and shortsighted we are as a species).
The things you named, on a long enough timescale, aren't terribly unlikely. It's not like they haven't happened before.
Large scale volcanic eruption (like yellowstone) could wipe us out, and Yellowstone is due.
Pandemic (see above shortsightedness - we're feeding our fucking livestock our best antibiotics and making them worthless).
Sure you could say "yeah but there might be some survivors" and ok sure, we can't be certain in any "extinction event" that it'll actually render mankind extinct, but modern society is quite precarious and a proper crisis (even one caused by increasingly scarce resources and the subsequent shitshow) could knock us down a few dozen pegs very quickly.

>underestimate how retarded and shortsighted we are

Sounds like a personal problem

Ad hominem: the thread.

Better than "we will never go to space because humans are shit because i said so, please don't assume this is some sort of projection"

You are aware of the several occasions we came close to nuclear armageddon in the span of half a decade, right?

What about the antibiotics shit, am I wrong? Or are you going to say basically breeding superbugs in our livestock and rendering our first and last line of defence obsolete for a quick buck is good for us?

>You are aware of the several occasions we came close to nuclear armageddon in the span of half a decade, right?

Yes

we will never get there with that atitude

Transhumanism is the only way, come to r/futurology and see for yourself.

point to an intelligent, technologically advanced species that was wiped out by an extinction event in the fossil record, retard.

how does becoming post-feudal = extinction?

people have been preparing for nuclear holocaust for almost a century now. it won't wipe out the human race. yes, a lot of people would die, but no, we would not go extinct. there is a huge difference.

there is no geological evidence that yellowstone "is due", and no, it wouldn't wipe out the human race if it erupted. yes, a lot of people would die, but no, we would not go extinct. there is a huge difference.

there are a million reasons it's completely unrealistic that a virus would wipe out all of humanity, from genetic variance in people to mutation of the virus to geographical isolationists to people who would bunker the fuck up to a million fucking things. yes, a lot of people would die, but no, we would not go extinct. there is a huge difference. also, antibiotics are a renewable resource.

>Sure you could say "yeah but there might be some survivors"
yes. that is the polar opposite of "extinction" you fucking dumbass. it's like you realized you were wrong halfway through but posted anyway.

am I talking to brown people?

Fuck you, faggot, I want to explore new worlds.

The human race probably won't die out barring exceptional circumstances, but civilisation can easily collapse in the wake of imminent resource pressures and the conflicts that may be fought over them. Furthermore, a threshold is inevitable wherein we'll have depleted too many accessible terrestrial resources, rendering impossible the transition to self-sustaining spaceborne industry and habitation. I'm not particularly optimistic about the climate and environmental situation, either; large-scale desertification, erosion and land loss, toxification, ecosystem collapse, aquifer and glacial depletion, etc. seem inevitable at this point, and they'll all just exacerbate the issues of resource depletion and international conflict.