>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Our pastebin (Don't bother reading this right now, it needs an overhaul)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Noob questions answered that you didn't think to ask
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Debugger guide and download
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453&highlight=debug

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Carthage
web.archive.org/web/20160305093448/http://www.gameology.org/essays/the_kohen_gadol_has_horns_the_fates_of_t
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PillarsOfCreation
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2858
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2853
youtube.com/watch?v=duBfMAkoVQI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can't figure out how to LA R'lyeh, please help.

>Why can't I hold all this freespawn
>I realize now sanity has advantages
>Water water everywhere and they won't stop casting Blink
>That is not dead which can eternal lie, and in strange eons awake pretenders die

What kind of research priorities should I be looking for in year 1? Do any of these guys need an Astral bless or is scales the way to go? How does any of this actually work?

you have no reliable sacreds and you can't use most summoned mages, and your freespawn is pretty awful, and you're popkill so scales are useless aside from luck and magic

if atlantis is in the game you lose

win by being a huge cunt, also void spectres are pretty good

One thing to keep in mine for your RP is that there isn't any of the vertical development meme. Mechanically it's pretty much a pure wargame.

I think that enhances it thematically. The pantokrator can remake creation however he wants so there's no need for any development at all beyond what's necessary to take the thrones.

No nation-building, no disarmament, no exit strategy, no hearts and minds. Shit on the entire universe, who gives a shit, once you're pantokrator you can just reset everything.

If you're RPing a pretender you should keep in mind that no matter how the pretender treats his worshipers and no matter what he says, everything is expendable, the only thing that matters is the thrones.

More games should end in memey undead and demon wars over worthless depopulated wasteland.

omg what age?

>memey undead and demon wars over worthless depopulated wasteland
NoBully?

What actually do you make your pretender on LA R'lyeh? I haven't played it since I was a retarded babby on Dom3 and looking back I dunno. Awake expander with bless for himself?

expander or rainbow, if you've got a game plan

R'lyeh doesn't need a rainbow. Take an awake expander and LA R'lyeh will have the design points to put whatever paths you need on it

>He just read a guide edition

This is not actually true as such.

Bob didn't learn to SC from reading a guide- he learned by asking someone in a blitz about how to do it, and then getting specific advice for his toolkit.

(I'm the person who gave him specific advice).

What a good turn.

>put jewish nation in your game
>they kill and eat children in religious rituals
what did illwinter mean by this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Carthage

they're also not very good.
They get beaten by the likes of Marv

web.archive.org/web/20160305093448/http://www.gameology.org/essays/the_kohen_gadol_has_horns_the_fates_of_t

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PillarsOfCreation

Join my game.
4 fuck off level 3 thrones, you need 3 to win it.
old kingdom and non-memey mods.

>non-meme summod

slightly less maymay than vanilla

just memeing bruh

I like the article though, even if the author has some bad college-essay circumlocution habits.

AvLee update!

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2858

v0.93
- Nation moved to Middle Age for consistency, nature gem income 4->3
- New commander: Arcane Archer (A1S1+20%AS, wields an enchanted bow)
- New recruit: Blade Dancer

Dead Jews.

literally blacked

Joined with Marignon

>Knights of the Unholy Sepulchre
>Longdead Velites
>Asphodel

I suddenly realize I do not know nearly enough about this game.

It's disciple aspho

So quick question, trying to get the hang of evaluating my situation and responding to it. Was playing Fomoria vs AI Tir na n'Og, I was rushing air elementals but then when I tried the lessers out in my first fights they got shit on by the Tuatha's magic weapons.

Will big air elementals' trample even the odds or is air elemental spam not good against TNO with all their default magic weapons?

Been away for an age, Did that Community Clash thing ever happen? did we win?

Also, any memegames recruiting?

trample is a defence check, so if the units you want to trample have both high defense and a magic weapon to deal with the elementals, it's not gonna be good.

It's in progress

big air eles are an order of magnitude better. size 3 eles are worth summoning when it's fire eles v garbage like longdead. size 3 tramplers ain't shit (unless, again, against some utter trash)

What kind of autism do I need for this series?

Do we have any updates or are things being kept hush hush?

I have over 200 hours logged in this motherfucking game and I have only the most basic understanding of what works and what doesn't. You need the most advanced and intense strain to be good at it, and a healthy dose to enjoy.

Right, I was summoning them just to see how they'd go more than trying to focus on them. I was going for Con5 for the real eles.

I figure I should switch gears to thunderstrike or something.

t. Sy

Conj 5 eles are actually really good, tho.
/v/anheim has the graphs.

I mean specifically gainst tir na nog who's spamming tuatha who all ignore the ethereal. Will the bigger trample even the odds or are they still gonna shit on them without the defensive bonus?

Unless you have a lot of air elementals, I'd consider it risky.

Trample should kill tuatha fast if they don't have W9, but magic weapons will kill your air elementals fast too.

Tuatha only have 12 defense without their shield, and I believe trample ignores that.

>people still aren't fighting Gaeni
nice

>infinite sacred works: the nation beats the jews!
>so the jews must be bad
I agree that most of the jews are bad, but being beaten by Marverni is not a good indicator for it.

>ywn blacken the skies with their wings
>ywn drown out the cries of your enemies with CAW
>ywn 1-turn an SC with their claws

They canonically get their shit wrecked by Abysia twice as well.

Boars are only good with B9 tho, and Marv isn't that strong a nation

jesus christ is there a troop version?

I've played LA Phobos, a temperature neutral nation, and I noticed that they have significant incentive to go Heat 3: their mages all have fire magic, their troops all have fire resistance, none of them eat, and to a large extent their summons and troops deal fire damage.

They still get the malus to income, but aside from that, it's free points. Is this bad balance?

I wish. But no, you only get them one per cast, 7 pearls per cast.

Consider Black Hearts though.

which is ironic, since Abysia is Ashdod's easiest matchup

What paths and research level?

>Consider Black Hearts though.

It's worse at assassinating than a scout with lifelong protection

I don't think it's a big deal, although at that point I begin to wonder if H1 might be the thematic temperature preference.

Conj. 2, S2

Having H1 or H2 preference is actually really nice for income purposes if you're taking H3 anyways

Fucking hell, that's ridiculous. They're commanders but you can summon them like troops. 7 gems per is cheap for what you get. 10 S2s spamming these guys out? Worth.

I c-can't find them senpai

Good luck scrounging up 70 pearls a turn.

>7 gems per is cheap for what you get. 10 S2s spamming these guys out? Worth.
Are you joking?

You could get an Ether Lord and 15 Ether Warriors for the price of 13 of them. That's at vanilla cost too, which most people consider seriously overpriced.

>seducers have a much lower seduce value than dream-seducers
>but dream-seducers have to make an MR-check and a morale check and they can't even assassinate if their victim wins the MR-check
Mundane seducers seem to be objectively better than dream-seducers. Is this because dream-seduction is available generically through the Succubus?

I'm guessing illwinter planned the assassination battle to be a disadvantage, so lower chance for dream seducers to trigger it would have been considered an advantage.

So I've only been using rituals to get more creatures, I never used priests or wizards in combat.

How do I do it? Do I order my general to charge in after two turns in which they'll buff the fuck out of him? Can I even tell them who to buff? Or do I just spamm spells and hope they hit someone important instead of a pygmie?

Juza update! I think now I have updated all my mods, so I can finally start doing something new.

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2853

v0.93
- New spell: Summon Rock Worm (Conj6, E3, 11 gems, summons a rock worm with a swallow attack)
- New spell: Awaken Ballistomycetes (Conj3, N3, 4 gems, summons 5++ immobile mushrooms with
ranged acid attacks)
- New spell: Summon Orb of Fire (Conj5, F3, 25 gems, summons an F2 magical orb of fire)
- New spell: Summon Fire Bats (Conj4, F3, 9 gems, summons 4+ fire bats)

>New spell: Summon Orb of Fire (Conj5, F3, 25 gems, summons an F2 magical orb of fire)
Seems a bit pricey doesnt it? 5 more gems and you could summon an F3 Flame Spirit.

Ideas on what mid game magic to use to tackle D8 bless Abyssia as heat Ragha with a couple cold mages?

Rain?

Are tengus ever worth summoning?
youtube.com/watch?v=duBfMAkoVQI

Most of Ragha's units have 10 or 15 fire resist, fireballs and fire auras from Abyssia I don't think are a problem for Ragha's main army. Rain is only really useful if I want to use Caelum units.

I'm really trying to figure out if there is useful battle magics to use to deal with his Abysian armies.

I never played LA Abysia so I'm just going off the other two. Falling frost maybe? You would probably be fine just with gryphons.

you put half the mages you own in small groups behind 1 or 2 lines of troops scripted to cast any invocation spell(anything that sounds like a fireball)they can cast, if the enemy has archers it's better to try and keep them far from your own archers as well as far behind in your formation.
spell range is a real problem. for 25 range spells you usually can hit profitably from the middle of your field to the enemy troops only after they advance a little. there is a distance of 30 squares from your battlefield center and the opponenet's.You might want to translate your entire formation a bit forward or backward depending on what you expect the opponenet to do. hold and attack on your troops is the other main tool to decide where the troops should meet.

summoning troops in battle it's also really good(horde of skeletons, summon elementals). in this case you want to make sure that the summoned troops will have space to reach the frontline. probably you want to position your mages on the sides of your formaiton and slightly behind the first line. for horde of skeletons it's also good to put more than half your troops far back on hold and attack and your mages in front of them so that first your frontline will hold the line, then a lot of skeletons , then the rest of your army.

buffing is viable ( please note that some buff spells are meant to buff only the caster, only one unit, one square or more squares). just put the mage next to the troops or even within them. you either hold and attack or be sure it's cast turn 1. buffs are thrown and if the preicision is less than 100 they might even miss if mages are not very close. Mages prefer to buff the squares filled with the highest hp that can be hit by the spell within the buff spell's range.

So HP determines the priority, okay.

it's an unkown mix of hp(per square or per unit depending on what the spelll is targeting) and distance.
usually hp wins but sometimes mages will prioritize closer target

So to make sure it works, I put the troops I want buffed next to the mages, and in a cramped formations, okay.

Yes, the flame spirit was my benchmark, but the orb comes online one research level earlier. Or is it still too pricey?

What else can it do?

basically yes. you can also buff lines with more than 1 mages.

something really important to notice is that certain buffs or damage spells affect more than 1 square. the squares other than the first are chosen randomly in a spiral, so that buffing/damaging a lone single line of units with such a spell will always be inefficient. but you can make lines 2-3 units thich buy just making 3 squads anyway.

Fly around, throw fireballs, explode on death. Nothing to write home about, I guess. I probably should tone it down to 20 or 17 gems.

Well, I'm just starting using them, so all the buffs only concern one person.

At least the descriptions are accurate, especially with the self-buffs.

Holy shit, why does every nation with centaurs at least insinuate horsefucking. I want /mlp/ to leave.

At least he's wearing clothes.

Actual criticisms:
Arcane Archers are objectively superior to Arcanists.
Rec-anywhere size 1s with every stat but HP >=10 shouldn't be 10g, especially on a nation with such easy access to Gift of Flight, especially when they're MM2 with forest and mountain survival.

Greek mythology cast centaurs as maddened rapists user.

Those rock worms (?) look kind of like turds. I'd do something about the gravely texture.

and elves are notorious rapees

The Tengu mage is great, but I don't like the unit tengu summons.

Air gems could be better put to use on Tengu mages, and Nature gems are useful for so many things. Tengu aren't good enough, even with a bless, to justify pouring gems into them.

Is it out-of-combat flying F2? That's actually pretty useful, though I wouldn't grab it at 25 gems.

>Rec-anywhere size 1s with every stat but HP >=10 shouldn't be 10g
They're even cheaper in vanilla (well, strength is 1 point lower). It's not like Jotunheim is a weak nation outside Vaetti either.

>I don't like the unit tengu
Why?

Which is the most overpowered mod nation?

The warhammer lizardmen, if you take a good bless for the summonable saurus and slann?

I need the most OP one for a game, someone said they'd be able to beat me as any nation even if I chose a mod one. It's a lose lose obviously, since when i win it'll be "only because you picked an OP nation" since the person I'm playing with is a twat, but I'd rather crush them as conclusively as possible

The Doom one.
Every basic trooper has a ranged attack, they can easily spam undead priests who keeps summoning more and more undead to act as meat shields.

No protection. They're very vulnerable to arrows because of it, and even fare surprisingly badly in melee considering their great attack and defense.

I'm not sure about strongest, but Artea is pretty ridiculous.

Get a bunch of the 35g StR rec-anywhere commanders, put them in a forest province and they freespawn sacred bears really fast.

Take B9(N9?) and throw bears at your enemy, they'll kill themselves trying to cut through the endless horde of bears.

The bears have upkeep though, so watch out for that.

LA phobos or the one that uses the actual sprites from doom?

Hadn't considered that one though, that's a good idea.

Infinite bear works does sound good, I'll try a quick AI game with them.

I'm sure upkeep won't be a problem though, for some reason it's a 300% everything game, which is why I was thinking of the lizardmen.

I think the guys I'm playing against mostly like smashing armies into each other, which is why I was interested in seeing what happens

Looking to understand how Dream Seduction works, is it a MR check then a morale check and lastly a battle if both fail?

Are there any good AARs on youtube?

Check into Dahlkrin(sp?) maybe?
When I played against them they were a bitch and a half to deal with and have native death gem generation

Nevermind, found it in the manual, its a MR 13 check and then a morale check and then a battle for those curious.

I can't find the detailed rules for the various 'X Power' abilities in the manual. Specifically I'm looking for exactly how Fire Power interacts with Cold scales, and while I'm at it the section on Heat/Cold auras isn't very helpful.

To a lesser degree I also want to know how Chaos Power works in Order scales but I assume it's exactly the same as the Temp ones. Where might I find this information if not the manual?

Warhammer Khorne are pretty fucking busted once they start going.

I recently got this game. Seems really indepth, but I like it. How do I get more commanders as an Undead faction?

Just saying, I don't think any of the powers mention getting weaker when not in the presence in the opposite of its attribute. Though I know sometimes the game just hides that stuff.

Summon them with spells.

depending on who you are they will spawn on their own, and also you summon them. Click on your starting caster and go to cast ritual spell

Weedlord cast raise skeleton
*sips straw*

I was trying out MA Abysia for the first time and the Lava Warrior description said that cold reduced their strength, which is different from the infantry description saying it played hell with their morale and fatigue.

I know fighting away from preferred temp scales wrecks morale and fatigue, but I don't think it affects strength. Fire Power was the only thing I could think of that might affect it, but I can't find it in the manual.

I guess I just have to test it at some point, but I can't do that right now. Was hoping someone might have done it already, but alas.

The disease grinder thing is gone now on the plague doctors so it's not as good