/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Timbuk edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Comfy edition!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

ARE YOU HAPPY ARMOK??!?!!

Metropolis Avuzvel. It was to be a glorious settlement. We had near a hundred and forty dwarves...

And oh, the children...

>adults slaughtering each other
>kids ripping each other apart
>huh guess they're all done
>time to pretend it didn't happen
>la la la
>weeeee

Is there a roll chart? I can't decide whether I want my next fort to be underground like normal or some kind of aboveground town.

guys are these things supposed to be labyrinthine in design?

should I keep going down?

THE WEREBEAST STILL LIVES

>tfw the pic I requested from Timbuk is selected as the OP image
I wish I could make comfy art like Timbuk

It is done.

yes

Go down to hell then deconstruct it!

Well that took long enough I'm about 50 feet below the tower's ground floor I'd wager talk about crafty goblins

whoa I didn't know this announcement still pop'd up while you adventure?

I didn't know either
I dunno what miners you're praising

But we must leave this place behind. The blood is too deep in the walls, the bodies too heavy to carry. We bring our swords and our children, and leave a lone marker for our trials.

Be careful getting too far from the entrance, it can get reloaded and you'll have to deconstruct it to escape.

Be careful deconstructing it btw.

Avuvzel, our hopes went with you. Our fates sink with you.

Important question: Are demons succeptible to evil rain? I really hope so.

Ha ha ha ha ha, no.

Fuck. I could have caged those fuckers. It's good that they remain scary though.

Only with webs/some way to knock them unconscious can you cage them.

and webs don't work on demons who use them, so the only and best option is cave-in traps or free-floating obsidian generators for endless cave-in dust...
just make sure you disable the cave-in announcement pause/recenter in the announcements.txt in the /init folder, otherwise the game becomes unplayable.

RIP in piss, i hope this bug never gets fixed.
loyalty cascades are basically the only way to experience the level of chaos and destruction that was possible in the 2D/early 3D era tantrum spirals. dwarves are just generally too damn happy and boozed up to give a shit.
except for loyalty, praise armok.

I'd let that human farmer thresh my dick to get the seed out if you know what I mean.

It was actually kind of fun watching the whole thing burn down.

I wonder where my dwarves will go...

What year do you guys normally stop at in Worldgen?

Never.

I usually stop at aesthetically pleasing numbers, like
>86
>124
>156
>234

Either that, or I just go for the standard 125 or 250.

>the monster I'm supposed to kill is in dwarven ruins
How the fuck am I supposed to find this fuck
Everything was way easier in 40d

Look through the place systematically.

I think the beasts only spawn in workshop areas or in bedrooms, so those are the places you'll want to search through.

I usually start with the workshop areas, since those take faster to investigate. If you can't find it there, keep searching through the individual bedrooms until you find it.

I guess a vampire gets a nice head start here, since those can feel the presence of other creatures.

Alright. How can I tell what creature is actually in this place, anyway? My quest log says a beast took up residence, and I have its name, but it's not telling me what kind of creature took up residence here, and I can't use the name to search under "people" since it's a beast, not a person.

The only way to find out is to check in legends mode.

If you have dfhack, you can open legends mode at will with the command "open-legends".

It wasn't in any of the rooms
Fuck this, I'm gonna look for caves or something. Fuck dwarves, fuck dwarven hillocks, fuck.

Some will move on to bigger and better things. Those with any remaining family will try and restart their lives in another fortress, hoping to forget the past. Others however are scarred souls, broken husks that have seen the horrors of conflict and may have taken the lives of people they once called brother or sister and will wander until the end of their days, emotionless, empty.

>flying
W-What are you?

I'll give you a hint.
You lost the game

What exactly am I supposed to do about this "army on the march"? I found the person whose army it supposedly is. Do I just bonk them and report back?

Kill them all in their sleep when you find their camp. Brag about it to all your friends.

You can just do that with animal people nowadays, but that gal there was modded and magma safe and all that jazz.

>2017
>still can't play as a demon
>can't involve yourself in the politicking of the underworld
>can't get summoned by some wizard apprentice who fucked up
>can't invade an NPC fort that struck Adamantium.

The myth arc will pave the groundwork for that, i.e. by creating actual politics for the underworld, the plane of the gods, as well as any other plane of existance in a given world.

We'll also have ancient civilisations populated by RNG'd creatures, and we'll get to explore their alien ruins.

>2017
>still can't don the mask
>can't get the crowd pumped as your opponent lays sprawled on the mat
>can't climb the turnbuckle and perform a moonsault splash with a pin to finish
>can't unmask your opponent so that he has to live in shame
>can't be declared Fortress Heavyweight Champ

R8 my zoo.

The contained animals are, from left to right, top to bottom:
>barn owl
>wolf
>coyote
>badger
>bonobo
>tiercel peregrine

Okay, how do I raise my fame in adventure mode? I killed a bandit chieftess and a lady (and a bunch of soldiers) from the civilization ours is at war with, but nobody seems to respond at all, despite this lady supposedly being the one sending her army marching on us.

needs something more exotic

needs more elf and goblin exhibits

Well, I do have a bonobo.

I can only hope that the elves bring something more fun the next year.

I haven't ecountered any gobbos yet, and it's been almost four years.

But yeah, it would be fun with one beak dog, one gobbo and one troll in the exhibit. They'd have to be chained behind the glass, of course.

I better put up a few cage traps in the eventuality of a siege.

From my understanding you have to boast about it and then wait for the info to circulate. People don't magically know every deed you've done

Are there Were Sperm whales in Df?

>Were Sperm
now that's a beast I'd like to see

How do I find the home tree in a forest retreat?

>it undulates rhythmically

Any bets?

low boot

Kek, almost.

>forgot to disable plump helmets and alchohol in cooking

What? are you putting your fort on the water wagon

I think he means so that alcohol doesn't get used in cooking meals. It's a waste of good booze and if you let it go unchecked you may find a fort with no spirit(s)

ohhhhhh

i usually drown in booze and end up having to dump tons of it because i out produce the demands

Post your adventuring team. I'm playing as a spearman (male) and my friend is an octopus with a hammer. Together, we fight crime.

In 10 years this game will have made little to no progress in optimization. FPS death will always be the final arbiter.

>found the perfect little embark for my shitty computer
>alligators kill entire group before i can even pause

Yep.

just reclaim

this game will have made significant progress and so will processors and computers

I guess it's up to me to tell you to git gud

Welp I know where I'm making an adventurer site.

What's wrong with the site?

why in the world did you rescale the pic?

>that image
Boats made of metal float, and metal is denser than rock.

>Elf caravan comes

>no animal i seems

>scroll a little down

>Giant Elephant

Project Mamuthatten has begun

>hope its not gay

>tfw having pure hell trying to find the perfect embark
I just want to dig into the walls of a chasm with a river running through it.

look for a river junction, ideally with a big river, if you can. these cliffs run 34z levels straight up

Hello Urists

If I edit raws, do I need to re make a world for it to apply.

Also if I add [CHILD] to the dragon raws would that enable dragons being born as children?

Sorry for noob questions. Google didn't help.

I edited the raws to make some moles and mole men in addition to the standard giant moles. Now I'm considering going full autism into dfhack and trying to make a tag for mole-related creatures to be able to path-and-mine to various targets. Then I'll give it as a potential tag to forgotten beasts and titans, and i'll make it so that goblins can get giant moles as mounts. No longer will you be able to keep your dwarves safe with nothing but mere sandy walls.

That looks like pure sex. What does it look like on world map?

neat. will they be able to dig through rock? through constructed walls of things softer than rock?

My idea atm is to make them capable of digging through all the things dwarves are currently capable of digging through, but it'll be dependent on material density. So extremely dense materials will work better as a defense, but have the cost of being more annoying to construct.

Anyways, we'll see if I bond it with [EXTRAVISION], because if I don't it's not go going to matter - if they can't see it they won't path to it.

I think it's this one

Yes, although some things can be modified in your saves without everything breaking down.

As long as you have a specified age on how long the creature remains a child it should work fine. I recommend having a [BABY] tag aswell though.

Thanks so much user. So if I add [BABY] and [CHILD] I won't need to create a new world?

Does a dwarf wear a breastplate over mail or not?
I was under the impression that they did

they can, yes

Demons are all NOSTUN, so those won't work to catch them either. There isn't a way to catch webbing demons in cage traps.

I'm trying to cover a dragon in bone plates. To do that I added a new tissue using bones template. The template and tissue are working but the bone plating isn't showing up because it says that Tissue ARG6 was not found.

Where do I clearly define the argument for this?

How does pf argument work in DFHack's liquids? Manual says
>pf[NS][EW] make the spawned liquid permanently flow
but whatever I type after pf results in "invalid permaflow mode" message.

I have no idea if it works in a current world but it ''''''should''''' work as long as you modify the raws in data/save/your region as well as the default raws in your main dwarf fortress folder. Make sure you add the age at the end of BABY and CHILD too so it looks something like
[BABY:*how many years from birth until the baby becomes child*]
[CHILD:*how many years from becoming a child until child becomes adult*]

Starting seven

Nice op.