>4.0 V6
>5 speed manual
>4.10 gears
>Torsen limited slip diff with almost no preload
>Reliable
>4WD
>Inexpensive

Other urls found in this thread:

fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/130622-4-0-sohc-timing-chain-rattle.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

get a B series instead for weeb street cred

B series doesn't have the red or blue seats though.

Also forgot to add, no traction control or stability control bullshit to limit your hooning abilities.

>S10
>4.3 V6 with actual power
>cheap
>will make you good at repairing vehicles
>V8 swappable

I really do like the ranger even if my image of them is as kinda cheap and replacable truck. Im kinda excited for the new one even if it will be larger and more bulky.

decent S10's are hard to find

>Actual power
The 4.0 SOHC makes more
Also the Ranger is V8 swappable. A lot of popped put 5.0s in them.

>falls apart the moment you try

There's a reason the only rangers of that gen still on the road are the garage queens

Mine has 120,000 miles and mechanical wise, the only issues are that the timing chain rattles (I need to buy some $80 tensioners), and the synchros are a little sticky.

Mine 140 000 miles and I just replaced the clutch 5000mi again and did the ford 8.8 rebuild 10k mi ago.

I got power and style. I swear to god the Torsen diff is a massive upgrade from your regular limited slip on the non Level 2 rangers. Never felt so good about a differential. Ofcourse is no locker but I always have traction.

Nice trucks gents. Just bought mine last week, any advice? Looking to get a camper too and new/nicer front seats if possible.

>v6, 5 speed, supercab, 2wd, 174k, all new fluids and water pump/serpentine belt

I literally cannot.

I had a 1994 and 1998.

Both had the 4.0L, 4WD, and 5 speed

The first one I sold with 310k miles on it for 800 dollars, The 2nd was stolen by a nigger at gun point while I was pumping gas in DC/Alexandria VA area. It was never recovered

I like to think it was exported to another country and is still on the road

> The 2nd was stolen by a nigger at gun point while I was pumping gas in DC/Alexandria VA area. It was never recovered

why didn't you shot his monkey ass m8>?

I have always wanted a Ford ranger, the new model comes out in 2019 for America, it's already in Mexico I hear. What should I look for in buying a good ranger o/? I currently have a Nissan Pathfinder that I hate

That's objectively false

Limited slip diff. Makes dirt roads turn into WRC world finals.

I have never had another vehicle with with a limited slip diff, and my Ranger is a Level 2 so idk what the clutch pack Trac lok or whatever it is is like. How is the Torsen better? Like ik it won't wear out and stuff like a clutch one will, but I haven't had much experience with limited slip differentials.

The 4.0 is a car engine, The 4.3 is a 350 minus 2 cylinders and would rip a ranger in half.

Op here
Get an FX4 Level 2 if you can. You probably won't find one near you. I am in Florida and bought mine from New York. The FX4 Level 2 is different than the FX4 Off-road, so don't get them confused, except for the 2002 FX4 Off-road, which is identical to FX4 Level 2s of the following years. Also get one with manual T-Case if you can. Not only are they super rare and cool (yes rare, only 17,971 Level 2s were made, and a lot of them have the vacuum system transfer case), but they are more reliable. All Level 2s have a 4.0 SOHC and have an extended cab. They also come with a 31 spline 8.8 inch rear end, extra skid plates, 4.10 gears, a Torsen limited slip diff, 15 inch Forged Aluminum Alcoa wheels, 31x10.5 BF Goodrich KO tires, tow hooks, a chrome shifter if it is a manual (which I would recommend, makes things a lot more fun), and two tone cloth seats (either blue and black or red and black).
If you are looking at a Ranger with the 4.0L SOHC (idk much about the 2.3L, 2.5L, 2.9 L, 3.0L, or 4.0L OHV) then make sure there isn't a timing chain rattles, because that is a very expensive repair depending on how bad it is. Mine only rattles at startup so it is probably just the tensioners, which is like an $80 fix. If you want more info about the timing chain rattles issue then go here.

fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/130622-4-0-sohc-timing-chain-rattle.html

Don't get a Ranger with a 3.0L. it makes barely more power than the 2.3 and gets the same gas mileage as the 4.0L (which is shit btw, at least for me because I have 4.10 gears).
Also watch out for rust. That can be an issue especially if it is from up North. Protip, if you want a truck for a good price, look up north or in the Midwest, pretty much anywhere that isn't the South. I paid $6300 for my truck, $7000 with shipping, and Level 2s were 10K+ in Florida.

The S10 makes 190 horsepower. And weighs a lot more.

Also which V6?

>02 4x4 XLT 4.0 V6 5 speed manual reporting in.
can confirm breddy good truck so far

Op here. Question for all the other Ranger owners who have subwoofers. Where did you guys out subwoofers? I took out the jump seats in the back, and bolted the speaker boxes into where the seat bracket bolted into.

Dat torque tho. ~2800-3000lbs is pretty light.

It makes a little more torque than the 4.0L. the curb weight of an S10 crew cab is like 4,000 pounds.

Dumbass didn't get out of his car with his gun drawn.

The 4.0 makes 238 ft.-lbs., the 4.3 makes 250 ft.-lbs. But the Ranger can still tow more.

Don't worry boys, the best hooning vehicle is here

>car stolen in alexandria
If it had happened here in route 1/woodbridge the dude probably would have just stabbed you and taken all your shit

Good point.

Both are pretty slow. You wouldn't want to tow anything heavy with either.

Not saying they were fast. But you don't have to be fast to have fun.

What's my cheapest option there? Swapping out for an 8.8?
It's the 3.0

Idk how much it is for a limited slip diff. If you find a rear end in a junk yard with 4.10s (will pep things up a bit) and a limited slip then go for it.

Depending on what condition your truck is in, it may be cheaper, especially if you are paying somebody for the labor, to sell your truck and get a Ranger that has that stuff in it already.

Did a manual swap in my 4.0l Mountaineer, so now it's basically a fat, big brother to the ranger. Happy with it so far. I can camp in it, and it's a bit more comfy than a ranger.

Also get a Ranger without stability or traction control, because the ones that have it are retarded, and you can't disable it completely.

OP again. Forgot to saw that the Level 2 also has Billstein shocks and stiffer torsion bars.

The 4.3 is a HG blowing, intake gasket munching, fuel spider leaking, balance shaft requiring POS. Thank god every single one my family or friends asked me to work on is dead and junked.

look at tacoma prices and it will make you buy a ranger right away

they are fucking ridiculous

>Could be had in manual or automatic
>4x4 or 2wd
>Anything between a 2.5 i4 up to a 5.9 V8
>Single, extended or quad cab
>Cheap
>Most configurations are bullet proof

The 3.0 is a meme, yes its weaker than 4.0 but it costs less

The 3.0 is just as reliable if not more than the 4.0 as well

The 2.3 is probably a bad decision on any truck

t. have spent a long time sifting through ford ranger forums on this issue

It's because of this thing called gears.

Most Americans think you need 400 up to move 4 tons yet a 24 ton truck breaking 250hp is a fucking rocket

4WD wasn't available with the 5.9L. Also the Ranger's size contributes to it's hoonability.

I am talking at the crank.

I sold my 95 Ranger xlt to a coworker a few months ago.
I completely regret it.
My chevy is fucking amazing and i got it at a steal from another work associate.
I thought the ranger was on its last legs, so i sold it at a cool $1.2k.
After some minor fucking around, my coworker has made me realized i fucked up big time.
Had i kept the ranger and drove it for 2-3 more years id probably be driving something worth the $13-15k range.
Fuck the ford memes, they got to me. Dad drove his Taurus to 430k miles, granted it was BAD when it died, it was nearly 30 years old and could still haul ass.
i hate myself.
Now i drive wrx's in video games to keep my dreams alive

>4WD wasn't available with the 5.9L.

Well you guys primarily hoon on tarmac so 4WD only means transmission binding

>Also the Ranger's size contributes to it's hoonability.

You put a single cab 2000 Dakota next to a 2000 single cab ranger and you'd be surprised that they are pretty much the same size

The figures are irrelevant when the point is:

>A has more than B
>But B can do more than A

FUCK OFF WITH UR DODGE SHIT NIGGER

I mainly hoon on dirt roads. Also you can use 4 wheel high on the road. I live in Florida, so when the rain is especially bad, I sometimes put in in 4WD on the road.

I moved to nowheresville alabama and i still dont miss the almost 15 years i spent in FL.
After i was granted with true south knowledge i hope to move to MS in the future.

Back the fuck off!?

But 2wd means more BrapAp

I can just turn my 4WD off.

All this arguing about shitty V6s
>not doing the superior easy as hell 2.3 turbo swap from a thunderbird

Or you can just swap in a 5.0. No replacement for displacement.

>D.C.
> owning guns

No one has the crew cab model you mong. They're all regular cabs or extended cabs.

I have seen them. The extended cabs still weigh 3,760.

Cool, I daily'd one of those for a bit!

I'm not sure about the other engines, the 4.0 a shit. Very sluggish response, you really have to push it to get any sort of power, and it complains all the way up there. Also, 10mpg. The diff is really fun, tho

The 4.0 is a lot better than the 2.3 or the 3.0 power wise. Also I have 4.10s, so it is pretty peppy. Where did you read 10? I get 13, and I would bet better but I have 4.10s, so my RPMs on the highway are really high, and on top of that I hoon around a lot.

The 10 is what I recorded in my driving, albeit mine was an auto, so that probably killed the mileage a bit. Other than that, it's top of the range. LSD, 4WD, suicide doors and all.
How was your reliability? The something front end keeps going out every year or so, and needs new parts. It's a B4000, if that helps.

Only issues I have had were that the thermostat housing blew (The housing was a defect from the factory. There was never a recall issued, but warranties were extended.), The inertia switch went bad (cuts off the fuel line if you get in a wreck), it got set off even though I hadn't hit anything or done anything that would set it off, and it wouldn't reset, and the synchros are getting a little sticky. Also my timing chain is starting to rattle.