/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

yellowafterlife.itch.io/nuclear-throne-together/devlog/860/nuclear-throne-together-v9900-4p-support-drm-free-support-custom-skins-and-custom-aspect-ratios
store.steampowered.com/app/588650/Dead_Cells/?snr=1_4_4__discovery-queue-0
humblebundle.com/humble-indie-bundle-18
youtu.be/5qSIklpnKU0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You fucker.
I hoped I cancelled mine just in time.

Well, fuck, it's here . Once you click on "Post", you can't cancel it.

Next time, I won't bother.

You don't need to link your late thread spider-user.

YES I NEED TO
AS A REMINDER OF THE RAGE BOILING INSIDE ME

>NEO Scavenger
>spend 2 hours scavenging and crafting the perfect loadout
>die at night to 2 thugs

why is dying so frustrating in this game? I've played roguelikes/hardcore games and died with dozens of hours invested and I've never felt so assfucked

DUSK release date fucking when.

life is pain

You guys like Rail Slave Games?

Not so much my bag but he's definitely got a unique vision.

You get to fuck a princess in that game?

I severely doubt it.

>look up Rail Slave Games
>find a list of their games

What the actual fuck is this?

>run into Dogman Leader
>it's 3 tiles away
>prepare to die again
>suddenly Set Deadly Trap
>it instakills the Dogman

What the fuck did just happen?

What do you think it is?

They seem like bible games at first, but then it just turns into complete fucking nonsense.

Seems about right.

I didn't care much for what I played previously but I'm gonna give NPPD Rush and Uriel's Chasm another try, anything that prompts so much pompous Steam review hate must have something going for it imo.

Can we finally find da hood?

don't die

Best way to find secret rooms in Enter the Gungeon? Binding of Isaac has 1 secret room usually surrounded by other rooms and the other rooms have a clear path to the wall that leads to it. It also has a super secret room that isnt connected to any other room.

Are there any rules like that for Gungeon?

>playing last remnant

>Developer: Square Enix Holdings
>Publisher: Square Enix Holdings

technically independent

First you got all the way to Cale and managed to escape, which is not even possible with some skillsets.

And then you die to that. Ha.
But why sell (human) meat? It's not worth the space it takes. I usually sell whiskey, bullets, guns, scopes and nano medkits. Also electronics if you've got hacking. Pills if you've got medic.

An easy way to get good gear and money as a combat-oriented character is finding and killing lone DMC patrolmen. It's risky though. Gunshots can kill instantly.

yellowafterlife.itch.io/nuclear-throne-together/devlog/860/nuclear-throne-together-v9900-4p-support-drm-free-support-custom-skins-and-custom-aspect-ratios

Nuclear Throne Together v9900 is now live
> 4p Co-Op
> Ability to change Aspect Ratio
> DRM-Free support for those who purchased the game via GoG or Humble Bundle (or pirated)
> On top of the previous Online Co-Op, Mod Support, Replays, Chat, etc...

(Also, I don't intend to repost this every thread. Just a reminder for those that missed the last)

store.steampowered.com/app/588650/Dead_Cells/?snr=1_4_4__discovery-queue-0

What does /indie/ think?

Early Access/10.

So it's not good?

No, it can't be reasonably judged yet until it's a full product.

Someone made a picture for it but I can't find it. Most of these are just general guidelines instead of hard-set rules though.

Secret rooms are more likely to spawn adjacent to "special" rooms, which includes the treasure rooms, the shop, the exit room, and some other things I think.
The farther away from the entrance, the more likely the chance the room's there.
Rooms are more likely so spawn if they're within a "perimeter" of the floor, draw a box around most of the rooms and it'll probably be in any open spaces there are.
It's relatively uncommon to find them adjacent to multiple other rooms, usually just near 1 or 2 (meaning the room you enter it and maybe a 2nd one).

let's hope i don't run into another reaper leviathan and shit myself

If I'm being honest I don't really care about "content"

Stuffing your game full of things to do is great but I'll get bored eventually

I'm not saying Ring Runner is as bad as something like Far Cry but

I haven't played it yet and description is absolutely atrocious.
But from what I've seen this is basically a linear castlevania with some procedural generation and progression akin to Rogue Legacy.
Which actually might be not be as bad as devs make it sound.

But yeah, it's Early Access so getting it right now is a gamble.

Well, I think it depends on the content.

There are conceivably ways to keep a game fresh into perpetuity... but just adding more items / boring run of the mill quests / etc isn't going to do it.

The cyclops seems a lot worse than I was expecting.

yeah i've seen that pic youre talking about posted before in this general but it was before i bought gungeon

speaking of which, i heard a lot of bad things about the game but i've had it for 2 days now and am having such a blast. i feel like bad RNG can happen but isn't nearly as horrible as i've read it can be. the pixel art is gorgeous and 60 fps, i haven't unlocked any secret characters, done any secret levels, but i have beaten dragun a few times and gotten a master round on every floor except the fifth one

i still dont have the bullet to kill the past but im two pieces away

as someone who got sick of isaac because it was just so boring after 6 years of playing it and the expansions got worse with each consecutive one, gungeon is a breath of fresh air and actually seems to require way more skill than isaac

>speaking of which, i heard a lot of bad things about the game
there are a lot of bad things, trust me, but they don't really make the game unplayable unless you're robot and/or playing a challenge run

I think they've got a pretty solid game and they're apparently looking to fix some of the dumb ideas, since they fixed some stuff with supply drop (though I only got the game post-supply drop)

Do I just have to go and make the energy beam and kill everything around me? I thought this would be a big and impressive ship but so far the only thing it's done is be slowly eaten by sharks who are really into biting it for some reason. I can't image what an actual threat like the reaper would do to it.

>Dead cells on the image

My nigga.

I picked it saturday and yesterday beat the second boss of the early acces release.

Currently it has around 10 areas to explore,around 60 items and decent amount of enemies.

Took me 24 hours to complete for 14 bucks.

It plays great and its a lot of fun but there are some balancing issues like cheesing harder enemies with skills and melee combat feeling weak at higher zones without CC skills.

Overall a great game.

It is a general image. Just namedrop games you think are good or worth entioning and he will add them.

no

>things that go bump in the day

It was really stupid.

I was returning from a scavenging trip when I saw this guy was killed right next to the market, so I took his things and celebrated my good luck.

Then I noticed the the market was selling a recipe for roasted human meat. I had three almost empty bags and a fresh corpse lying at my feet. I would have been crazy to not try, you don't refuse an easy $200 when it's handed to you on a silver platter. So I cut him up and took it all to the market. When I dropped the first piece the butcher freaked out and told me to get that shit out of his shop, and I complied.

Then as I was moving it back to my inventory it touched something, and fell back to the marketplace.

And so ends the tale of how I got lynched by an angry mob. A true Darwin award worthy death if I ever saw one.

>get the random starter bow upgrade
>I now get frost blast literally every single time

>I noticed the the market was selling a recipe for roasted human meat

>When I dropped the first piece the butcher freaked out and told me to get that shit out of his shop
Those folks are pretty hypocritical.

Anyone here play Spiderweb Software games?

I played geneforge af few months ago and really enjoyed the world and stories. The combat was really lacking though and got me burned out at the end. (but i did finish it)

Now I'm playing Avernum: EFTP. Pretty cool game, I think I'm about half-way. Combat, graphics, etc. is all way better. This makes exploring so much more enjoyable. Sometimes combat is even fun for its own sake.
Only downside is the lack of music and the recycled sound-effects.
So far one of the more atmospheric RPGs I've played with very fun exploration.

Anyone else have some thoughts on Avernum, generforge or other Spiderweb Software / Jeff Vogel games?

>there's a Full Throttle Remastered
>totally redrawn with native 4k
>it was released a month ago
>/indie/ didn't say a word

Really makes user think.

Schäfer is a hack and full trottle was never that brilliant of a masterpiece.

I have played the first two Geneforge games. This is probably going to sound silly as fuck, and I'm not sure I can explain it, but they were the most anime games I have ever played.

Not in a weeb way, or in artstyle, or anything. But in atmosphere and structure, like something from a fantasy-adventure animu from the 90s. How as you wander from place to place every location is like its own coherent story, like they were episodes. How without quests they feel like places whose secrets you discover instead of quest hubs or dungeons that need clearing. And how as you explore the main story slowly comes together, gets its climax, then wraps up in a way that feels natural, not really resembling the usual game story and quest structure.

I really don't know how to explain this well, it's just a feeling I get from the game that I can't shake off. I don't know Vogel well, maybe he has never even seen an anime in his life. But it's very unique nonetheless. Some RPGs feel like comic books, or B action movies, tabletop-lite or some trashy pulp novel, and usually JRPGs feel distinctly like JRPGs, and VNs like VNs. But Geneforge is anime.

It's a borderline cult-classic that's rightfully amongst the best in LucasArts' catalogue. It's not Monkey Island of Day of the Tentacle but not that far from them. And Shafer being is a hack doesn't make it worse whatsoever.

I never watch anime myself, but I think I understand what you are saying.

It is a cultclassic because of the pblisher name and time but not on its own.

>literally paying Tim to paint over a 20+ year old game

I loved the first Environmental Station Alpha, but hopefully the new one won't have stupid ultra % shit.

Also I should play the Bonus Chapter

I guess I most not like point and clicks, because I liked the humor in Day of the Tentacle, but the puzzles were just tedious to do.

I loved the hell out of Exile 3, but to my understanding Avernum is basically the Exile series in 3D.

I can't stand LucasArts adventures, any of them.

When it comes to adventure games i prefer visual novels

What about Star Wars Galactic Battleground? Jedi Knight?

Visual novels have little to nothing in common with adventure games or even text adventures though. Their closes relative is the CYOA genre.

Vogel's games were great, but they keep getting worse every time he remakes them.

Exile 1-3 and BoE > Avernum 1-3 and BoA > Avernum 4-6 > Avernum remakes

Geneforges are great as well, too bad they don't run properly on modern Windows. Glitchy even with custom compatibility mode.

Why do you consider the new releases worse?

it's really daunting to look at

what

that's a flowchart of progressing through the 2D exploration game La-Mulana.

I know that. It's just much more diverse than the usual flow-charts.

How many of these games are actually complete and how many are foreverbeta?

It covers every step without actually spoiling how to do them. It's quite a nice chart, honestly.

Holy shit, fuck the prison depths. This area is such bullshit.

Battle Brothers is fresh out of ea and dream machine had a really long waiting time for the final chapter but other than that the games are complete on there.

humblebundle.com/humble-indie-bundle-18

Pretty great bundle. I have been waiting for a full kentucky route deal for a while.
Just don't forget to put the slider got goatsim all the way to 0 cents if you buy it.

I already bought the last bundle and stuff from the spring sale, its not summer yet.
But fuck, I want Owl Boy.

Dead Cells is Early Acess, I should probably put a note for that later.

>Steam World Heist doesn't include the DLC
Well, that's sad. But amazing otherwise.

It's OK, but nothing special.

rain world and snake pass are both complete

Here's the image with some minor organizational improvements from me.

>after 3 days of playing finally survive long enough to buy my first Buckmaster .308 scoped hunting rifle

Feels so good I want to cry. Also looted a laptop. I haven't had one yet, but it's kinda big so I wonder if it's worth to keep and wait for a battery or if I should just sell it now.

Keep it, it is your very first after all and you don't know when you get the next one.

youtu.be/5qSIklpnKU0
A Hat in Time coming in Fall.

This bitch is fucking savage but she will do good for the boy for many years.

S A V A G E

I feel like I heard this exact statement 2 years ago.

Man, I totally forgot about that game. I Kickstarted it. La-Mulana 2 as well.

I've learned my lesson.

>tfw backed mn9
>didn't even care that much for the game but wanted the custome cardridge usb stick
>game is ok but still no usb stick shipped

>First hear about game some months before I start college
>Finally gets a release date a few days after I finish college

That Griptape game a few threads back kinda got me wanting a real exploration / adventure game with that style.

Like a similar atmosphere but with less memes and t y p i n g s h i t l i k e t h i s.

Tried the devs earlier game?
Also how about Myst?

Played Myst, yeah. I should clarify, I didn't like Griptape Backbone much. I guess I'll try the dev's other game, can't hurt, though it looks a bit like Beginner's Guide, which was fucking terrible.

And here it is! Wasn't even that long of a wait.

My very first hacked laptop. I'm so proud.

Funny how after a while you learn that scavenging buildings is a waste of time if you want resources and money, and it's both faster and safer to shadow folks from a distance and wait for them to kill someone or drop dead. So many die around Detroit every day I don't even have to worry about picking up all that loot. Just bring back the best for a steady daily income of $100~1000.

From my experience it seems to favor combat builds. I got my shit kicked in regularly by fucking dogs because I insisted on prioritizing skills like hacking, botany, etc.

>that pistol vs. SMG argument on Underrail forums
It's weapons grade autism. Literally.

>10

Botany for me was actually the most useful of my skills together with hiding at the start. Yeah, I had to reroll like a dozen times because I died so often, but only about half of that was because of dogs, dogmen, or ayys. Botany allowed me to not take that many risks, move slowly and take my time picking a sleeping site, because I didn't have to worry that my food was poisonous.

Now that I'm hanging out around Detroit that skill doesn't see that much use, but I guess this is only until I leave to explore the rest of the map.

That being said I don't know what kind of character user was playing.

Also, I feel like a retard, but how do I use memory sticks?

>it's "you already the ones you want" game bundle again

I followed it earlier this day, it picked up steam? Oh shit it picked up steam! Brb, I'll grab some popcorn and get reading.

/k/ are lovely autists.

They never talk about polearms or bows, it's only firearms with them.