Programmer Art Edition

We'll meet again

> Play Demo Day 14
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Upcoming Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Thread
(Cross-thread)

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG (embed)

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/uieogfk5
discord.gg/9P8GNW5
drive.google.com/open?id=0BwIVW_906HZLTXU5WVp4TUVtSDQ
archive.klaxa.eu/Spring_2017/Matchday_3/07. - mlp vs n.mkv
clyp.it/wvg3qtr1
youtube.com/watch?v=62IKzJqoeHY&ab_channel=Fleech'
stackoverflow.com/questions/10957412/fastest-way-to-extract-frames-using-ffmpeg
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311249569801568256/311414811244232705/image.png)
twitter.com/the_hopoo/status/729719936470245376
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for VR being a dead platform that I'm still dev'ing for

first for i want to die.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Whimp the Bold
Dev: AttaBoy
Tools: GameMaker: Studio, Aseprite
Web: attaboydev.tumblr.com, Twitter.com/AttaBoyGames
Progress:
+Created page-turn pause effect
+improved shadows so they actually match the player sprite
+learned GameMaker primitives to handle both of those
+cleaned up and implemented a new depth system
+Added optional player help text to HUD
+Numerous stability and bug fixes from Demo Day
-One character's shadows are behaving weirdly and I don't know why

Somebody tell the UE4 devs to stop using generic names like "check" and "verify" for macro names because they clash with literally every fucking library including boost

Rate some music for my indie pixel platformer:

clyp.it/uieogfk5
clyp.it/uieogfk5
clyp.it/uieogfk5

>pixels
>platformer

im starting to understand the curse of AGDG

Added optional help text under the HUD for each character's core moveset

if pixel shit had a musical variant to it, this would basically be it. 3/10

i improved the fall recovery.

What's wrong with pixel platformers?

Mini update on the /agdg/ team for the Veeky Forums league (its autopiloted soccer || football with custom models)

I've clarified a few deadlines based on when things need to happen by in the discord.
To simplify it significantly, we're a week out from the soft deadline.
If you have meshes to submit, either newly made or from a previous/current project you'll like to highlight, be sure to get them in the submission folder. It's absolutely fine to pimp a project of yours if you want, it's all good.

Also still looking for good high energy music from agdg games.

Discord: discord.gg/9P8GNW5
Submissions: drive.google.com/open?id=0BwIVW_906HZLTXU5WVp4TUVtSDQ
Horses getting destroyed by trains: archive.klaxa.eu/Spring_2017/Matchday_3/07. - mlp vs n.mkv

I think this is a great idea but only because I have a very low opinion of the intelligence, patience, and problem solving ability of the average player (I can just imagine people playing your game and bitching that the moves are too difficult to figure out).

I need recommendations/advice for a good way to convert OBS/Webm into a .gifs with a relatively low file size (

LEAVE HIM ALONE
God both of you devs put me to shame

Wait waiting for this killer feature.

wish I had a bully cube to force me to be productive

Record FLV with OBS
Use FFMPEG to split each frame into a PNG
Import into Photoshop
Export from Photoshop as GIF

>record video
>convert video to gif

Exactly. And if you can toggle it on/off, there's no harm

Stop it you, I'm sure you've got some good shit waiting to be shared

Kinda makes me want to play as bully cube

>still looking for good high energy music
Not sure if it's any good (I like it) but this is from my game clyp.it/wvg3qtr1

Hey user

I'm pretty sure you're the same guy who made this
youtube.com/watch?v=62IKzJqoeHY&ab_channel=Fleech'

I just wanted to say thanks, and that I really enjoyed your song. It helped me get through some tough shit, and it's really beautiful. I hope your game works out well.

i hope bully cube is a staple enemy

this is my piece, yes. i saw that people were re-posting it in /wsg so i uploaded it to my channel. i'm glad you enjoyed it, i wasn't expecting the response i got from people regarding that piece.

its fun to smack around with the sword actually. i might have a version of it when i get around to making assets.

how many people have submitted?

>Use FFMPEG to split each frame into a PNG
How do I do this if I'm stupid?

>small gifs

for what purpose

I've got a few interested people, only one person who seems really 100% for sure. There's only 23 players and there's no expectation that every one of them will have a fully modeled head for game day. There's ways to spice up players without proper models so it still looks funny.

The models we make can be painlessly reused every time this happens (every six months) so over time the team will look more and more interesting no matter what the level of contribution is.

>.gifs with a relatively low file size (

this
and also this
but mostly this

A section is shit.
B section is alright.
the bassline you use throughout doesnt gel with A section at all and is the main problem i think.

Something like stackoverflow.com/questions/10957412/fastest-way-to-extract-frames-using-ffmpeg

My particular implementation looks like:

ffmpeg -i flash.flv -an -r 30 -s 512x424 converted%d.png

(Replacing flash.flv with the directory for you original video, and changing "converted" to an appropriate file name for the pngs to be output with.)

Which works for the video I use since it's recorded at 30FPS at a resolution of 512 x 424.

I meant small file size, not in actual dimensions or quality

Shamefully, it's for Twitter

Just upload mp4s there

google gif split i guess, not sure what the result will yield for you

it uses their servers, and seems non-intrusive for how often ive used it

>Shamefully, it's for Twitter
No need to try to appease agdg with that attitude, any self respecting dev is gonna have a twitter.

I would but I feel like there's some implicit bias against mp4s and it will get less interaction

you mean ezgif? I've used that but the server's been acting strange recently

True. Also fuck agdg devs who don't follow other agdg devs

I'll try this as soon as I learn how to use ffmpeg

>there's some implicit bias against mp4s
There isn't, twitter converts your gifs to mp4 anyway and they end up working exactly the same. So uploading a gif just makes your video quality shit.

so how do you stop twitter from completely obliterating your videos. it seems like the size and quality literally don't matter. i've had it enourmous high quality vidoes with no problems but struggle with tiny 1.5mb videos.

>fuck agdg devs who don't follow other agdg devs
i'll give you a follow but don't shit up my feed with memes, reposts, or politics

also: don't post your face, you're not as cute as you think

To use FFMPEG, go into the folder that you've extracted all the FFMPEG stuff into and then run ff-prompt. They you just insert the command that like

Would it be a good idea to upload a unity capsule as a head for a "Unity" player, and the default UE4 head for a "UE4" player? Would anyone have anything against that?

If we can remove the body and JUST use the unity capsule, I fully support this

High quality -> more information to create better small versions from.

Low quality -> only choice is to completely mangle to save a bit of space.

I have no clue, but I noticed something like that on Youtube

I'll try this out tomorrow, thanks for your patience

Yeah but the little "gif" tag lets people know they can watch it without having to click to see if theres sound. They know they're getting the full thing with one less interaction, and thus they're less likely to scroll by. It's a lower barrier of entry to engage with

This is fair. Although I'll sometimes reblog other devs who I feel aren't getting enough attention if it's some really good shit

Also give the players identical stats and always have them out on the field together, so we can see which of the two engines scores more.

Oh right, and if it's like Youtube, they re-encode it no matter what. They never just use the file you sent them.

Best tool for text-based RPG:

notepad

this is what i was thinking was happening as well, like some games that switch from GPU to CPU on higher settings. some kind of actual fucking word on the subject from twitter would be nice,.

if you encode with handbrake i dont think youtube does anything... the processing is so fast that if it's doing anything it's not doing much.

Nice

fuck should i just go full retard and learn how to make 3d models or what

The way most teams are formatted if you wanted identical units that might be playing at the same time you'd want them as paired defensive players. which means neither would score nearly ever.

Personally I thought the engines could be good candidates for goalkeepers, since if they fail everything is fucked. For the record though we only get two goalkeepers and obviously only one is ever on at a time.

yes

You too can make games that look like this!

>need twitter
>need tumblr
>need itch.io
>need personal dev page
>all just to show off minor progress weekly
>hyping everyone up just to have the game fall through

help

do it
you don't really need a personal dev page
you don't need to have a presence on itch besides uploading and that's piss easy

2017, the year of hopoo memepoly

yeah i just set up my twitter and tumblr recently, its pretty basic shit {f a m} i mean youre making a game, any idiot can post on social media

dont even know why i have 4 followers

what

It wouldn't be a bad idea but keep in mind the limitations for models (cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311249569801568256/311414811244232705/image.png) if you were trying to port the UE4 head.

Also there's a limit of 3 full body replacements per team via policy that if all the models aren't wearing the uniform.

Speaking of the uniform we still need some of those. However I can make them myself if need be.

fuck it just seems like so much to learn when i only recently learned (read: began to scratch the surface of) how to program shit i want.
but im realizing more and more the more i learn about the actual programming and stuff that what i really want is good animations with simple gameplay.

>arrives at the office at 11am
>sits down
>stares at award
>unscrews cap on bourbon
>chugs without breaking line of sight with award
>stares at award
>breathes heavy
>some people outside the window are witnessing and discussing this behavior
>coworker hands him some letters which he opens and views
>office space bill
>bank account summary
>chugs
"3D RISK OF RAIN!"

does he really have his own office

how many people are part of 'hopoo games'?

>made his own office
hope hes not paying too much

its easier than learning how to draw honestly

but its still a long way up to mastery

but not having to worry about proportions and consistency of your figures is a nice handicap enough to make it worth not going back to 2D, unless you really like the 2D aesthetic, theres always a market for it

and I highly doubt the guy rented out a building just for 3 people

It's way easier learning modelling and animation as a programmer since you already know linear algebra don't you?

well some buildings have office suites im sure thats what he got based on this image, and it makes working on something more professional and responsible

I thought he was still a student though and his main focus was his mechanical engineering major

honestly surprised he has time to dev games.

where's your office googs?

not a programmer, im terrible at math
game maker is easy enough for me to understand.

>does he really have his own office
the photo proves that.... also who doesnt have an office?
>how many people are part of 'hopoo games'?
probably just him all alone in that office with his thoughts and his bourbon.

>hope hes not paying too much
seemed like he's upperclass to start with and then millions fell into his lap, i'd be very surprised if he's safe with his money management.

my room.

its all about using your time efficiently

4 hours of straight dev is better than 8 hours of devving but mostly shitposting

>the photo proves that....
could have been photoshopped or some joke

>open door
>wafting smell of shit, cum, BO, and feet
>googs turns out from the corner naked smiling at you

jesus christ kill me

desu i'd prefer me some bourbon.

>but not having to worry about proportions and consistency of your figures is a nice handicap enough to make it worth not going back to 2D, unless you really like the 2D aesthetic, theres always a market for it
how hard do you think it is to find a good animator/modeller, assuming i had a bit (but not a ton) of money? i know its basically a horrible investment, i'm just day dreaming.
>since you already know linear algebra don't you?
of course i do i went to college

twitter.com/the_hopoo/status/729719936470245376

well i kept posting my animations and stuff a while ago on here, but nobody was interested, i didnt get any criticism either, i think agdg is autistic

if youre looking for artists look outside of agdg and your luck will increase for this matter

though dont expect anyone to stick around if youre not paying them or paying them very little

honorable mention
(that one furry game where the guy took all the art, and the programmer ended up releasing the game for free)

agdg isnt what it used to be.

in 2014ish you received +10 comments for progress. now you'll be lucky to get 2

>if youre looking for artists look outside of agdg
well that goes without saying
>though dont expect anyone to stick around if youre not paying them or paying them very little
as does this.

i usually get a couple, wasnt like a weird time of day either

also i worked with a programmer once, who was very slow at making progress(think he had a family and a job) so i ditched him

I always get good constructive feedback when I post. Perhaps you're doing it wrong.

>who was very slow at making progress
>so i ditched him

wow rude.
how slow are we talking?

Working on implementing costume changes now. Got this fanart long ago and it was amusing, so the programmer and I are getting around to putting it in game.

in a week he made something i could make in an hour

>it used to be better
Were you also born in the wrong generation?

why would that user be comparing from 2017 to 2014

>but nobody was interested, i didnt get any criticism either
I'm telling that user it's not a problem with his work but rather AGDG is simply garbage(more garbage than before).

>gold lipstick

Don't know if I'll keep that part. Making lips workable at the low resolution of the portraits is tricky.

Fuck off with this gay furry shit

Stay here with that furry shit

yiff in heck doggo

What do you think agdg

I'm fucking doing it guys. That's what they all say I'm sure.
but I want to use Maya, because it can handle both 3D modelling and animation, which sounds convenient. What do the resident 3D devs of /agdg/ use?

Blender does the same thing and the UI is less shitty

If you know python, then you can setup some really time saving scripts for your workflow. It works better with Unity too. It's also free.

blender because free, open source, and light

desu maya is probably better.

>it can handle both 3D modelling and animation
blender actually does MORE things than any other 3d program, but it doesnt do them all well. it has a fucking game engine included