How big is too big to repair with Bondo?

How big is too big to repair with Bondo?

Too big? What are you? A Catholic alter boy?

It typically comes in a 5 lb tub. If that can't fill the dent then it's too big to repair with Bondo.

I've read if you go too big it cracks.

True

1/8th of an inch is a very common thing to go with - but it also depends on where its applied, to what material and if the area will see any stress

Usually you're only supposed to use bondo on very small dents/repairs. At my shop we repair the dent as much as possible,then touch it up with bondo, trying to use the least amount of bondo as possible. A surface area greater than 4"^2 of bondo is considered a lot already

I plan to beat out the fender part. But the top is in a weird spot and I already got a good amount of the dent out.

I'm just not looking to go to a body shop for a 3k car.

what it looked like prior.

Time for a entire new panel. That's not ever going to be good

That's horseshit. He's almost back to the original contour. A little bondo will smooth that over fine.

How does he even go about that? I think it's it's welded to the unibody.

You would be surprised by what bog can do

I'm no expert and all but if it doesn't mostly just pop out, the metal has been stretched. And I would imagine it's going to be a massive cunt for a time for a beginner to get it smooth without tons of bondo.

You literally cut it off and weld on a new one.

>without tons of bondo.
It's $15 a tub.

youve already probably stretched the metal too much. if that came into our shop it would be getting a new quarter panel, or in your case it would be a total loss. call a PDR guy and see if he can do anything with it before you try to do anything. there are too many ripples for you to just trow mud over it and call it good. metal has some elasticity, but it looks like its already too far gone. the amount of heating you'd need to do and work you would have to put into that quarter to make it look halfway decent is not worth it to me. drive it until the wheels fall off, save your money for a new car or at least a proper quarter panel replacement. the replacement alone is probably worth more than the car.

I've thought about that, But OEM wants 1500 for a panel. I can buy a junk car for about 150 bucks and do it. But that requires me to cut it, and then get it installed.

I don't have a welder or the know how to fucking use one if rented one.

And its fucking shit and a crap way to fix a dent

I'd rather not scrap it. And it won't be on any insurance. I have to pay out of pocket thanks to a hit and run while it was parked.

You don't need to weld it, seamsealer will hold it on, maybe a few sheet metal screws too.

Just gotta make the visible cuts very close so you can just dent them down a tad and bondo over it.
You run the risk of it flexing and cracking but you can always get it welded for cheap once it's mostly on there.

Whoever put the front end back together did a shit-tier job.

>I have to pay out of pocket
If you have collision insurance they will pay.

nothin is too big for bondo

Ever got a dent fixed in your car? They used body filler. I don't know why you fucking normies are so scared of it, the shits been around longer than you have.

Actually, from the looks of it, replacing the panel is piss, if you remove the glass, rear bumper, tail light, and side skirt, you can remove it and install o e with zero visible cuts. If you do most of the work yourself, and pay for paint and glass installation, you can have it done for fairly cheap

Nope, I just replac the whole panel. Then again, most of my panels are bolt on, but ehh.

they even forgot the hood stops

Was like that when I bought it. Same for the cam cover. Had a massive crack and chunk missing out of it.

The entire bay was is dreadful shape when I got it.

I've not really seen much on it, outside of a thread for a guy doing RS panel swaps. And I can't even view that anymore because photobucket blocks old images. So not exactly like there's a decent walk through for a first timer.

>decent walk through for a first timer
Go learn about YouTube, b is for build on there has done like 4 panel replacements with noob level detail

What are you talking about? Nothing is missing there.

You really don't want to see this on a used car.

i would advise against using bondo in this particular case, or swapping out the whole panel

find oen of those crazy mexicans that do paintless dent removal

its a dieing artform and i swear to god, it leaves your car looking brand new.

I took my car to one after a cunt backed into my car's door. They pulled it out and i had my car back in about 4 hours looking as good as new.

This is an advantage of 4 door cars, doors are easily replaceable or dissembled for repair.

How much did you spend?

around 80 dollars, but it was one midsize dent in the middle of the door.

pic related. only the scratch was left. was buffed out later.

I'd be cool doing this, but Considering this is my daily. I don't have a week that I could drive without a panel on.

>bondo

>(you)

Find a highschool/small tech school they do work for a small shop fee and material cost the teacher has to verify their work is good too

Bumping for more ideas.

>Ford shitbox

If you are planning to ride it till it falls appart, don’t bother.

Get a fucking heavy duty circular sander and lean into in. Then fill with bondo using one of those plastic trowels. Sand smooth, Primer. Paint.

Dent the rest of it so it matches

It's not about how big a area is as much as it is how this you apply it if you do it to thick itl crack and come off just beast it out as much and as nice as possible then sand to the metal apply thin layers to smooth it out and primer I do this for a living and I doubt you'll get it perfect your first try so don't get to discouraged the more you do it the better you'll get :)

Thick* beat*

Before primer

I'm not expecting it to look perfect on my first attempt.

But I've also been looking into doing the panel replacement, It doesn't seem hard. just requires me to either find a friend who has a garage I can use, a rent a shop, or just rent out a garage I could use for a while plus things like a welder.