/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Forgotten Waifus Edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
Play Warsow for free: warsow.net/
Link to Quake 2 Starter with Quake 2 and its expansions:
mega.nz/#!EAxAlSwa!9v0PQ7QgN60mXDptMqWXvdAC2srSCnb7pGPqZojG2QI

Quake Champions closed beta signup: quake.bethesda.net/en/signup
QC beta waves are each week and usually last for 3-4 days each starting on either Thursday or Friday. The beta is no longer under NDA.

Slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rNE1XN6E1Cc
youtube.com/watch?v=02Ikb6B55Qc
youtu.be/I6g4s0C5Ha8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

remove nyx from duels

Who is this semen demon?

In quake you can rocket jump, strafe jump, snipe, track with any champ, in tf2 or ow you can't do all that with a medic and engineer or a widowmaker, it restricts the gameplay to make players focus on the job, in this new quake, you can do it all plus you get a neat bonus

youtube.com/watch?v=rNE1XN6E1Cc

patch notes

More like remove anarki until the hit boxes are fixed. At least you can hit nyx.

Pi from Team Arena

>It runs very well

Totalbiscuit, 2017

>Sorlag's and scalebearers arms just ignore all hitscan
May aswell just remove everyone by that logic.

Also is the Machine gun hitscan or not? Sometimes I absolutely laserbeam people with it at a distance and it feels fucking broken, other times i'll hit nothing even if my crosshair is tracking perfectly.

Is it just RNG bullshit hitscan or should I be leading it or something?

>This is the part where we throw back our heads in laughter

It is hitscan with a small cone spread. Don't lead the shots.

God, asian women look ugly, I'll stick to anime lolis

It has spread. And no fuck you you literally hit 1 in 10 LG ticks on an anarki who is a d spamming.

you know why arena shooters will never make a comeback? because there are way too many different games on the market. the community is too fragmented, it would take a multi billion dollar marketing campaign to raise awareness and create enough hype to get people to play again. what worked for dota, overwatch and lol could work for arena shooters as well, but no publisher is going to do this.

it looks like there isn't enough interest in the genre, but the reason there isn't any interest is because there is no marketing/hype/esports/twitch shit. publishers would have to invest money to help the community grow, but they'd rather just throw another moba or tf2 clone on the market. because that's almost guaranteed to bring in money.

back in the 90s and early 2000s there weren't that many online games, so the community wasn't as fragmented. there was a lot of interested in rts and arena fps simply because there were little alternatives. it will never be like that ever again. people will flock to the most popular game (i.e. the game that has the biggest marketing budget).

>my 'slipgate to the previous thread' thingy caught on

it tickles my orb

there were so many online games in the early 2000s and late '90s what the fuck are you talking about
i doubt many people even remember the novalogic games now but they were pretty damn popular

>there were so many online games in the early 2000s and late '90s
name 30

I screencapped this on a phone haha
Name how many different online games allowed you to shoot ppl in first person

Is Fatal1ty the most brainlet pro? Whenever he speaks I get the impression that he has legit sequels from drug abuse or just hitting his head really hard. Also seems to do the most derpy plays then compensate with just raw fragging power.

Will /OurGuy/ Thooorin make an appearance in this games competitive scene when he inevitably realises it's true potential and cannot resist his nostalgia boner?

he said bad things about quake champions before, but it seems like most of those doubt have been dispelled now that everyone is realising how good the game can be.

SiN
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Blood
Shadow Warrior
Duke Nukem 3D
Soldier of Fortune
Starsiege: Tribes
Tribes 2
Tribes: Vengeance
Delta Force
Delta Force 2
Delta Force: Land Warrior
Delta Force: Black Hawk Down
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Call of Duty
Rainbow Six
Rainbow Six Rogue Spear
Rainbow Six Raven Shield
SWAT 3 GOTY
Star Wars: Dark Forces 2
Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2
Star Trek: Elite Force
Star Trek: Elite Force 2
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2003
Half-Life
Counter Strike
Day of Defeat
Gunman Chronicles
Team Fortress Classic
All of these within around 1996 to 2003 off the top of my head

I have mixed feelings about that scenario. He is a smart guy and insightful but he is also incredibly obnoxious.

B-but Nagato is and allien life form, she cannot fall in love with a mere arena gamer...

>he said bad things about quake champions before

really?

all I remember is that he said it would never he #1 again because it's quake and quake is too hard for the average person

some of these games are still being played. now imagine an additional 10 years worth of games. that's a lot more games than back then.

face it, the community is way more fragmented than it was 20 years ago. simply because there are more games.

the only popular games are the ones that are aggressively being advertised.

Announcer is shit rn

t. 12 year old "gamer"

>What really matters it that arena shooters that emulate Quake as closely as possible always fail. Not only will no one pay for them, they won't play them for free either. Quake Champions had to change things up because the "purists" make up for a tiny fraction of the audience. And that tiny fraction didn't really play the games anyways. People can complain all they want about QC, but it wouldn't be this way if people supported arena shooters in general.

Which arena shooter came out since Quake 3 that I should have supported? Reflex? lmfao. That game has no future. I'm not going to support a game that has no chance of succeeding when it's so easy to see why. The Quake games were successful because they touched on so many aspects that people seek. They captured the esports crowd, they were moddable so you could play any game, the community made dedicated servers with stat tracking and they were pushing the boundaries of technology in terms of gaming. They were essentially state of the art video games. The best you could possibly get. What has came out since then? Nothing but Quake 3 copies and broken games with very little chance of succeeding. That's a far cry from the shit idsoftware was doing back in the days. They were innovators. They were movers. The arena shooter releases since then have been poor copycats at best.

I could have added way more games to the list and you can factor in things like HL mods that had their own separate communities that were still active until the steampipe update broke the master server. The FPS genre has consolidated into a few major franchises and the occasional low budget indie game.

>It becomes increasingly difficult to have meaningful or interesting gun battles when everything devolves a bunch of speedy space marines running around like shotgun toting chickens with their heads cut off

what did they mean by this?

QC feels a LOT healthier to play than Overwatch.

I'm constantly raging while I play Overwatch. Sometimes the waiting to actually start a game in QC is excessive, but I spend MORE time waiting in Overwatch just to be paired with the same people again and again.

In addition, the hero-ability focus in Overwatch creates all these situations that feel frustrating as you feel helpless. Roadhog plods two steps around a corner with W, looks at your relatively slow butt across the room, eats a rocket/headshot or whatever in the face, he presses a button, and you're just stunned and watch yourself die. That Roadhog player can be mentally retarded to the point that he's actually playing with one hand and he literally cannot move and shoot at the same time, but it doesn't matter. This might be the worst case scenario out of Overwatch, but it's the example I'm using to compare.

QC never ever ever ever feels like that. It's way more about the weapons, and everybody can use the weapons. There is a healthy balance between retreat and engagement in QC, where you really feel outplayed when someone gets on you and bullies you with a higher stack or more optimal weapon in range, because that takes 3 things put together to happen- they've got to have better movement than you, the right weapon pickups, and the AP/HP pickups. And so despite being a very FAST game, TTK is actually kinda high, and there is a lot of resource management and tactical trading going on.

The projectile weapons are all much higher in DPS than the hitscan weapons in QC, which is also the inverse of Overwatch. When you play them side by side, it actually makes the balance in Overwatch, which already feels bad, seem even MORE mysterious. The RL is the higher DPS weapon, but the direct hit into an airborne direct hit that gives it that theoretical number is legitimately the hardest thing to do, and when it happens to me, I just feel respect.

>overwatch player likes mobaquake
color. me. surprised.

go to bed grandpa

I tried the OW beta and I hated it, didn't buy the game for that exact reason. Hardcounters are cancer. I play Dirty Bomb which is also all about the weapons and killing first, then doing everything else later.

how is he still alive?

it's hard to get rid of cancer

I've always been a fan of the "build yourself up to win" design instead of "bring down the enemy to win." Nothing worse than forcibly removing all control from players.

Quake is less range inducing but that might change when people will start really tryharding in team modes

youtube.com/watch?v=02Ikb6B55Qc

>3:00 - 4:40
>"There is no consumer market for old school Quake."
>"If there was a market for Quake-like games, games like Warsow, Reflex Arena, including Quake 3 and Quake Arena would be doing phenomenally well."
>"These PURISTS, as they were, like to brag. They like to complain and wishfully wish for experiences they had 10 to 15 years ago."
>"These sold called PURISTS are nothing but wannabes and showboaters. They're pretending."

Is he right /arena/? Are ""PURISTS"" nothing more than niggers who want to desperately show other people on the internet and new players how long they have been playing Quake and by screaming the loudest it gives them e-peen?

um, guys? i thought this game was hype

>gosh darn!

In addition, I get mad at poor teammates in both games. However, in Overwatch, a single bad teammate out of 6 is literally almost a guaranteed loss, no matter how skilled I may be as a player. I can play 70%+ accuracy games as McCree, but since I'm playing something worse than a 5v6 and rely so much on the basics teammates provide, I just get hit with a stack of ultimates and we lose the objective no matter what.

I can have complete morons in QC too. I'm talking Sorlags that can go 0-24, using 100% the wrong guns, stealing pickups from teammates and becoming impenetrable meatshields blocking my shots on the enemy, and there's still a chance hard effort from myself and a quakedad will pull off a victory anyway. That's REMARKABLE in today's age of gaming. You couldn't see anything like that in League of Legends or Overwatch or anything. Skill means a hell of a lot more in QC than Overwatch, and despite modern convention this actually makes for LESS frustrating team situations.

Now I initially thought that item pickup timer management was going to be tedious and lame. Instead, I realized that RA/Mega/Quad pickup is really no different than contesting a point or objective in Overwatch- it's about control and being in the right place, except that the Quake formula leads back to what you really want to be doing- getting kills/frags on other people, while Overwatch makes you play a weird game where getting kills is only the third most important thing you can be doing at any point in time.

Movement? This movement minigame of Quake is fun. It's like a racing game in between frags. It's sounds silly, but it means a lot. Knowing how to gain speed and maintain it, not getting hooked on geometry feels rewarding, but not so much that that is the only thing the game is about. I always thought Quakedads talking about movement were a bunch of weirdos, but this stuff isn't some relic like single building select and 12 unit limit of SC1. It's a net positive

youtu.be/I6g4s0C5Ha8

one off the list
i cant rocketjump for shit so someone else will have to do that. still up in the air if Sorlag can even do the jump.

He spoke about it in some kind of group video that I can't recall, I'm pretty sure it was with locodoco and montecristo. They were talking about games like HoTs that take competitive, difficult games and water them down so they don't appeal to anyone.

He kind of used that analagy to say that he thinks they will make a game that is too hard and foreign to the average player, while also not appealing to veterans.

Ehh, summit played it for quite a while and his viewers seemed pretty positive about it.

Because of the repititiveness and the fact that it's just pro's shitting on noobs, there isn't much to watch right now.

I think it'll do well and gain a lot of attention when quakecon does there first tourny.

Okay, user, I hope you like it

* Main Menu:
- "Я oдepжy пoбeдy!" - I will be victorious! / Victory will be mine!

* Match Start:
- "Ceйчac им бyдeт тpyднo" - "They're gonna have a hard time now" / "Now, they're in trouble"
- "Гoтoвьтecь cтpaдaть" - "Prepare to suffer" (referring to multiple people, i.e. the entire lobby)

* Enemy Kill:
- "Bce пpocтo - я лyчший" - "It's simple - I am the best"
- "Кaкoй жe ты бecпoмoщный" - "You're so helpless"
- "Tы cлaб" - "You are weak"
- "Ocтынь" - "Chill out"
- "Taк ceбe пoпыткa" - "A shoddy attempt"
- "Heнaвижy кpыc" - "(I) hate rats"
- "Пpocтo пpими этo" - "Just accept it"
- "Этo былo нecлoжнo" - "That was easy"
- "A ты нe тepяeшь нaдeжды" - "Eh, you're not losing hope" / "Eh, you keep trying?"
- "He впeчaтляeт" - "Not impressed"

* Respawn
- "Teбe пpocтo пoвeлo!" - "You just got lucky!"
- "Дaвaй eщё paз" - "One more time"
- "Cлeдyющий paз бyдeт зa мнoй" - "Next time, I will win"
- "Tы зa этo зaплaтишь" - "You will pay for that"
- "Я нaйдy тeбя" - "I will find you"
- "Я cлoмaю тeбя" - "I will break you"
- "Ужe лyчшe, нo дo мeня вce eщё дaлeкo" - "Better, but still far from my level"
- "Лaднo, бывaeт" - "Eh, (shit) happens"
- "Пoнpaвилocь?" - "Did you like that?"
- "Heyдaчнo пoявилcя" - "Unlucky respawn"

* Wallhax
- "Я вce вижy" - "I can see everything"
- "Teбe нe cкpытьcя oт мeня" - "You can't hide from me"
- "Bыхoдa нeт" - "There's no way out"
- "Tы нe yйдeшь" - "You won't get away"

I've never seen Sorlag do the jump. I'm really suspect it's possible. I think her movespeed cap is too low.

I feel the b2r is easiest with Slash tbqh, if we're excluding Nyx's ezmode walljump. It just takes one swift circleslide and she's across. Then Anarki. I'm terrible so I don't even attempt it with Ranger because I can just orb or RJ, who's my next guess at being able to do it, and I've done it only once with Visor as a focus during warmup because I'm terrible. I suspect the rest just can't do it because they can't get enough speed.

the vocal ones, yeah pretty much

they like to say they want a new quake, but its exactly as he said, look at reflex, why arent these purist playing that? its a good game, and true to quake, but they dont play it because it doesnt have the quake name, which is stupid

this is coming from a quakedad who just wants to play arena shooters, i dont care for innovation, its why i play the same damn game for so long, if i wanted something new id go play a different genre/game

i just want vehicles in ut4

is that too much to ask?

wow thanks
I'm going to keep this recorded.
I like the ruski grumble lines

Just play Toxikk.

I'm having more fun in QC, win or lose
They've gotta fix the netcode, though

just the right amount of edgy

I like it

r8 my duel lineup

nyxbab/default/OPizard

0/10

>default
also the highest skillcap pleb.

that would be visor

no CA no play

Solid line-up fampai.

>wallhack
wow so much skill my dude

>no play
there is hope for QC yet then

Shut up Visor

>teleporting
wow so much skill my dude
enjoy your capped strafe jumps kiddo

hope for what? it's shit.

thx broski

yes i agree clan arena is shit
gloom and ctf are the thinking man's team games

>can't read
>plays QC
that about sums it up

ugh, get a load of this elitist prick... -.-

which champ is the easiest to play with a controller? i'm thinking sorlag, because no strafe jumping

Id like to see (you) strafe faster than ranger's cap.

>... -.-

there should be a special clown outfit that is forced on anyone with a kdr lower than 2.1 so you can spot the retarded gameruining newbs from a mile away and gang up on them until they leave the server. clowns are there for my entertainment only, they should not be enjoying themselves. same goes for newbs so i think that outfit would be fitting

gloom? just go play natural selection 2... oh wait.

jk i loved gloom[/spoilers]

Thread flavor is always a good thing, as long as it's related to the game.

Perhaps is on a whole new tier of Irony where he no longer knows what is Ironic and what is not?

>not using emoticons and taunting other players with dated memes
r00fles!

>tab out after match
>tab back in after 5min
>still loading

been a while since i saw a modern game handle this shit

how do you guys practice aim?

I've just been playing deathmatch all day but the rocket launcher is still the only weapon I'm confident with

i play sierra adventure games

I used to just play a shit load of instagib in QL. In QC sometimes I'll join DM or TDM and just use the rail and forget about frags

instagib
osu!

deathmatch is the way to go.
try focusing on one weapon at a time.. spend a few games just railing or LGing to get the muscle memory down.

>Osu
>Help aim or translating into other games

Stop this meme. Especially if your ingame sens doesn't make a 1:1 ratio with your windows sens.

they'll add them in 5 years

What's with the healthpacks "rounding" numbers? Like if you have 1hp, pick it up and get to 25 instead of 26.

I just want to get Slash's teddie bear before the beta ends. Just 135 shards to go, unless I get lucky in a loot box.

ive got some clips wait a sec

>when you wake up from a dream too early

you guys are the fucking worst

this is great

>snorelaxg will never r-jump through your mailhole into your apartment to blast your dikk with rockets

>dat movement
nice

wait a sec ive got more baeb

>be newfag to quake
>mfw learning enough strafejumping that I can hit 500 ups in one jump with a top speed of 950 ups
Still need to break 1000 though, going fast is fun

I'm ready for em bb
I have been holding off on recording since I've been lagging.

take my seed like these fools did
1st we build the stack
and then we hold m1

>how sorlag sees her enemies.jpg

>russian_twink_runs_into_carnivore
how long until someone commissions Aka6 or w/e his fucking name is to draw some futa of snorelag

4 mcnuggets please
*skronk*

Nyx first please minus the futa.