1200 pound lithium ion battery

>1200 pound lithium ion battery
>dies after a few years
why do people think this is environmentally friendly?

Other urls found in this thread:

teslacentral.com/worried-about-tesla-battery-degradation-its-23-miles-every-100000-driven
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they are too stupid to realize batteries don't last the life of a car.

because muh tesla

>dies after a few years
no

>hurr durr tesla's batteries r best they last 4 ever
found the muskfaggot

Sorry shit for brains, depending on conditions and depth of discharge, they can be nearly useless in as little as a couple of years, at most they'll last a decade. The greater your depth of discharge and the hotter the battery gets the shorter its life will be, so basically if you do anything more than drive the car for short jaunts you're killing the battery. Take your Tesla on a few road trips or have a long commute? You're going to be replacing your battery long before some boring fuck who lives right by his job and never goes anywhere else.

t. Drumpf intellectual oilhead

>so stupid that he thinks anyone who doesn't worship at the altar of musk is an American and a Trump supporter
>using "Drumpf"
Fuck off back to reddit's hillary supporter board or whatever shithole you crawled out of

>liberals are this retarded
Not surprised in the least

>dies after a few years
8 year infinite mile warranty

By your own made up scenario, guy A has to replace his battery after about 12-15 years and guy B replaces his after 17-19 years.

ALMOST AS IF THEY LAST AS LONG AS THE LIFETIME OF THE CAR

The warranty makes lithium mining and recycling environmentally friendly?

>By your own made up scenario, guy A has to replace his battery after about 12-15 years and guy B replaces his after 17-19 years.
You're making up numbers and ascribing them to me lol
neck yerself kiddo

1/4 of the capacity after 1200 cycles, so about 4 years.

you can kill it in 2 years by overheating it and supercharging it

Batteryfags are actually tesla shills trying to make the opposition look dumb

The actual problem with teslas and the environment is that they are new cars and carry the carbon footprint, the smog footprint, and the destructive mining footprint of any other new car.

If you want to be environmentally friendly...

Drive used.
Drive less or not at all.

Remember, thousands of cars are scrapped and made into toasters because "environmentalist" liberals would rather pay toyota to build a new prius so they can use 5 fewer gallons of gas a month.

cuz LOLOIL

Or in 2 days by actually using the "fastest volume production car to 60mph in a straight line" part.

Read the warranty, it only covers catastrophic failures of he battery pack or the loss of 70% of the capacity.

In what way is a dead battery not "70% loss of capacity"?

>drive hard
>deeply discharge before recharging and fast charge regularly
>battery killed in a few years
It's almost like you people haven't been using smartphones for several years. Anyone who has had a couple of smart phones sees the effects of a hard life on a lithium battery
>new iphone battery lasts all day when you use it normally
>a year later it's dying just after lunch with the same usage

I love how it goes asymptomatic to shit. So it doesn't completely die. It just hangs out in shit land for another 8 years reminding you about your bad life choices.

Asymtotic

STAND BACK I HAVE FACTS

teslacentral.com/worried-about-tesla-battery-degradation-its-23-miles-every-100000-driven

The Tesla way.

Lmfao you roasted that idiot

That site seems independent and unbiased.

Iv been using the same smart phone for 4 years now. It still lasts me through en entire day. About every 4 months I will notice that it starts dying during the day and I will just run some cleaner software on it and then it goes right back to what its always been.

The real problem is people treating their phones like trash.

>teslacentral.com/worried-about-tesla-battery-degradation-its-23-miles-every-100000-driven
>Worried about Tesla battery degradation? It's 23 miles per every 100,000 driven
Holy fuck Teslafags are dumb as all hell. Battery degradation is HEAVILY related to dicharge cycle depth and charging speed. You CANNOT make a statement like "23 miles per every 100,000 driven" because that's assuming batteries degrade at a linear and constant rate irrespective of environment and usage.

I don't really care if its eco friendly or not, Its simply the best car on the market.

>Iv been using the same smart phone for 4 years now. It still lasts me through en entire day.
So you don't run your battery down and charge once it's nearly dead? Brilliant, who could've guessed that batteries last longer when you treat them well?

Yeah dont people understand that people only change habits AFTER driving a new car 100,000 miles????

I plug it in to charge every night and never at any other time.

>facts have a bias
Talking like a trump supporter

Yes, lithium mining is environmentally friendly.

Especially compared to the other things that go into a new tesla car

>Copper mining
>Oil sands
>Strip mining for iron, aluminum
>Forging
>Refining
>Shipping and trucking (lithium is only significant here since it all comes from south america)

First of all, Tesla will not even allow you to charge or discharge the battery in a capacity which would be harmful to the long term health. You literally can't drain them and you can't overcharge them. These lithium-ions have a sweet spot of efficiency and can be used for at least 6-8 years if they are used in that range (typically around 20% - 85% of charge). Second of all, they will without a doubt lose efficiency year after year. But it may be negligible. I would be more concerned about the effects of a cold winter discharging the batteries or extreme heat - both which will fuck with the lifespan of the cells.

I would be more concerned with having the range of a gas-hungry sportbike but without the 30-second refuelling time

Americans actually do these things called road trips because planes are an expensive PITA

because you can recycle the batteries

Why does everyone ignore pic related?

So the worse your state and city of resdience is for your economic well being and mental health, the easier it is to charge your shitbox. But if you live somewhere nice, you have to take a detour through a shithole like fucking spokane. Great.

They are warrantied for 8 year unlimited mileage :^)

Facts unlike you, or that website don't have bias, the facts are Tesla owners are reporting a 20% drop in range after one year, traveling any distance in a Model S in the USA has a higher GWP than doing so in an S Class Merc or BMW 7 Series.

This isn't for everyday charging, its for road trips.

Stop moving goalposts around.

You charge in your garage.

See for what that actually covers.

Road trips that have unecessary detours if you have an EV, especially for ones that don't involve california or the shittastic east coast. A lot of the good parts of montana, oregon, and idaho are particularly inaccessible there.

>inb4 every road trip is a meme trip to see the grand canyon and go to walley world
Most road trips are to visit relatives in the middle of nowhere, go camping/fishing/hunting, etc.

Just charging a Tesla's battery isn't environmentally friendly. That power needs to come off the grid and the grid is still mostly fed by fossil fuels. When Tesla owners plug in to charge they place a higher demand on the grid which requires more fuel burned. Charging a Tesla would only be green if the grid mostly consisted of renewable sources and or nuclear.

Not saying we shouldn't push for this future but to claim the car is completely green right now is wrong. It's a bit deceptive.

kids, this post is an example of grasping at straws

something tells me you just don't like the idea of electric cars from a subjective viewpoint, and now you're looking to bash them as much as possible to spread the hate. when from an objective viewpoint, they're superior to gasoline cars in almost every way.

>no fuel leaks
>the nature of their design leads to a very low center of gravity
>their power is available from 0-100mph, where a person needs power for the commute
>a charge will last roughly a week, and a full recharge can be done overnight
>no anxiety over anything ICE related. fuel pumps, transmissions, valvetrain, etc.

And addressing the range issue for people who road trip...obviously they're not the target market.

>inaccessible
See the white zone on the map? You can see the edges of it in canada. Thats zone of places you can go only using superchagers.

Stop making up facts.

So we change where we get our power from. Problem solved.

It's greener because the massive generators used for the grid have far better efficiency than the gasoline engines.

>fuel leaks
>anxiety over anything ICE related. fuel pumps, transmissions, valvetrain, etc.
stop buying vehicles made by white people.

those are the best ones

>All this memeing and hydrogen is still better

>>no fuel leaks
Just like a gt86 then
>>the nature of their design leads to a very low center of gravity
Just like a gt86 then
>>their power is available from 0-100mph, where a person needs power for the commute
Just like a gt86 then
>>a charge will last roughly a week, and a full recharge can be done overnight
Well a full tank in a GT86 will last longer and can be refilled in a lot less time
>>no anxiety over anything ICE related. fuel pumps, transmissions, valvetrain, etc.
But plenty on electric motors, batteries, controllers etc.

I'd just save a fortune and the planet and buy an 86 then.

>it's not unreliable and dangerous, it has character

Lmaoing @ your pale skin

Those are made for "road trips"

Easier said than done. There's always major political pushback when you mention green energy. Fossil fuels made a lot of people rich, a lot of people with a great deal of political connections and lobbying power, and they aren't going to give it up without a fight.

They also aren't going to spend their riches on upgrading the power grid because you want to use the same thing we use for "essential luxuries" like lighting, hot running water, refridgeration, etc for an inessential luxury like being too much of a stuck up faggot to take the bus or something.

You buy a new car after 3 or 4 years anyway so it's fine

Alright, nobody is ask them to spend money. But they fight any new startups and investors and run them out of business to preserve their own industries or lobby politicians to create legislation to ensure green energy can't even get off the ground at all. How is that fair?

THEN WE STOP BEING LAZY PUSSIES AND DEMAND THAT COMPANIES CHANGE WHERE WE GET OUR POWER

Green energy seeks to replace, not supplement

The same people lobby to close dams because MUH PRETTY FISHES

lmfao i never even thought about that.

i work in silicon valley and see so many of those electric shitboxes everywhere. the carpool lane isnt even carpool anymore because there are so many hybrids and evs around. figures the handful of charging stations are overcrowded as fuck.

at least the big tech companies have charging stations in the parking lots sometimes.

i even saw "clean air vehicle parking" at a chik fil a. fucking disgusting

HOW? Go on a power strike and stop paying our bills? March into their offices with a gun and demand they abandon fossil fuels?

We've been trying to demand they change it and we are ignored all the time. Is there any method that isn't extreme or illegal that will get people to listen?

um stop voting for politicians that write legislation to empower those companies

that's literally the power of democracy

Yeah

Not caring because siberia will be a tropical paradise and nigger countries plus the american south will become uninhabitable if we continue on our current course

We actually don't need to do anything. Profit is still the bottom line and green energy is getting cheaper and cheaper. Right now about 30% of power comes from green sources and that number will keep going up as the technology gets better.

Just take a look at what a solar cell cost from 5 years ago vs today.

>>>their power is available from 0-100mph, where a person needs power for the commute
>Just like a gt86 then
Lmao @ dat torque curve, doesn't even compare.
I do agree though, electric cars are not there yet.

Only for a little while. Eventually the oceans boil off and the runaway greenhouse effect causes Earth to become a barren hellscape like Venus. Shame humanity ends there.

>300 miles range * 1200 full battery cycles = 360000 miles battery life
doesn't look too bad to me, user

>Lmao @ dat torque curve, doesn't even compare.
You are right, the Tesla's torque curve drops off almost instantly.

comparing designated area pollution to city wide toxic gas releases

On top of that it's probably a full charge/discharge cycle, so I bet it will last more than that. Anyways, I hear so often about how they *could* go bad, but rarely see any real world data. Just lab experiments.

You are the kind of trumptard that posts a link to a Texico site with "facts" showing burning oil doesn't cause climate change aren't you.

I think partial discharge/recharge cycles worked the best with batteries. Although, another factor is ambient temperature.

I don't think someone who's looking at an FRS will consider a heavy luxury car that's meant for A-B than performance, or a Model S customer would be looking for a track rat.

>their power is available from 0-100mph, where a person needs power for the commute
>needs the power
I drive a 75hp econobox from 2001, literally have never had a problem with getting up to speed

Nigga you for real? Everyone else has a problem with your 20s 0-60 time. Just pull over when you get on an on ramp plox.

most people are slow and drive slow cars slowly buddy

You only think that because the slow cars you hang out with are the only cars you see, those cars that keep passing your ass are seeing all the fast cars.

recycling.

which greatly reduces the energy needed to make a new pack.

>no one ever considers the secondary and tertiary environmental impacts of oil.

Sounds like you're projecting.

Yep. Batteries are basically lithium/cobalt/copper rich ore. Super easy to recycle

No, most normies simply do not drive performance variations of cars you fucking spastic.

>teslafag is triggered by the facts

>pull up to onramp in much tesla
>laugh at all the plebs driving normal cars
>accelerate 0-60 in 3 seconds cause muh important daily metric
>crash into the car in front of me

Idk. Everyone on Veeky Forums claims to drive eleventeen brazillion miles on daily commute, so the Tesla is clearly kill.

Most people that I know with electric cars are charging their shitbox for an entire night then another 8 hours at work just to make the commute to work then back home. That's anecdotal evidence so w.e

It happened in midwest as well.

Superchargers are usless now cuz of too many teslafags.

We should just put inductive charging coils under all the roads already.

You're literally making my wallet hurt

Yeah. it's not like we have data from five year old teslas to look at... And that's five year old battery tech too.

>Buying a car that only lasts 8 years

Shit, like Trump's presidency!

>dies after a few years
>much more expensive to buy
>Probably more expensive to maintain

More cheap to buy and maintain for us = less money for car companies and no way they will allow this.
There is a catch.

>meme
>it gets offset by cheap electricity in the long run
>false

>NOT INCIDENTALLY CREATING AN APOCALYPTIC OIL FIELD FIRE HELLSCAPE SO YOU CAN FLY UNCHALLENGED IN FORMATION THROUGH IT AFTER ACHIEVING TOTAL AIR SUPERIORITY OF A HIGHLY MILITARIZED COUNTRY LOCATED 6,000 MILES AWAY FROM AMERICA IN UNDER 48 HOURS
FAGGOTS GO AND STAY GO

>USAF_F-16A_F-15C_F-15E_Desert_Storm_edit2[1].jpg
ALSO "DESERT STORM" IS AN AMAZING NAME FOR A MILITARY OPERATION, ITS IN KEEPING WITH AWESOME SHIT LIKE BLITZKRIEG LIGHTNING WAR

When you imagine a battery recycling facility do you picture a clean white building with a bunch of glass windows and a shiny tesla sign out front? Is the building sucking up dirty air and less desirably colored humans to make pretty new teslas driven by hot white ladies that fart sparkles if they even fart at all?

The only environmental benefit to recycling those materials is that you don't need to mine them up again and usually don't have to ship them as far. Processing a lithium battery creates a shit ton of waste from dissolving the lithium and separating it from the other battery material that has infiltrated. You end up with a slurry of highly toxic gases, fluids and solids that are of no use in any industrial process and are difficult to contain. Fluoride makes a hell of an acid and isn't only good for hardening teeth.

>no one ever considers the secondary and tertiary environmental impacts of oil.

LOL come on guy, we invaded Afghanistan for trillion$ in lithium stop pretending that oil is the only valuable thing tainted by the blood of thousands, it makes us all think you are some summerfriend

Liberalism quite literally is a mental illness. They can't comprehend that it harms the enviorment more to make and destroy those cars than regular ones.

>us
>getting any resources of of the afghan occupation

pick one. China is the only one operating mines in Afghanistan. Just like Iraq. The US spent the blood and treasure, and China reaps the benefit in valuable commodities.

US mines their own lithium or gets it from latin america.

don't confuse modern left wing politics with Liberalism.

western left parties are Insogc tier.

Stop it, there is no new battery tech. The only new battery tech is lithium ion, and I guess graphene super capacitors but those don't really work practically yet, cool though. The innovation that tesla brings to electric car batteries is a production facility and supply chain designed with a giant fucking lithium battery as its sole goal. Its basic economy of scale to reduce the cost of the battery and has in no way improved the ability of lithium ions to hold or release their electrical potential. Smart charging controls are what made lithium viable in the 2000's for power tools and eventually cell phones since they have a tendency to suffer more from bad charging than older lead acids and before then people tended to kill the super pricey battery packs.

The tesla is a neat car and I would love to cruise around like a new money californigger for however many hours it let me before I would have to call it a day, returning to my home where another rolling blackout hits the cul de sac because me and my neighbor both charge our teslas when we get home and peak power usage is at the same time thus overtaxing our shitty infrastructure.

You can like tesla, hell you can love tesla, but fuck off with all the bullshit about how elon musk makes physical reality change just for his special friends.