/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread : >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn (embed)

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IRGZiappzgM
nypost.com/2015/09/01/day-care-workers-had-young-kids-brawl-in-fight-club-videos/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Last thread died at 104 posts.

I'd suggest merging with /civ4xg/, but it's been plagued by /gsg/ and /pol/ leaking recently, so I don't know what we can do to kill that general alive.

By the way, I get Oneshot. The cat girl is cute.

Notrium was awesome, werivar expansion in particular.

Can't have a proper obscure games thread because of normie infestation.

Oh, you reminded me.

is Last Remnant obscure enough?

>ywn find the twin-headed mutant
feels bad man

no, fuck off already

It's certainly shit all right.
>"hey every RPG in forever requires you to grind"
>"let do the opposite so that if people are stuck, they'll only get stuck MORE by grinding"

It's funny, because by now he gave us so many hints about it he all but told us how to find it. By now I think I could... but if I'm wrong then I'd be plunging back into madness, and I'm not willing to do that.

Does anyone know where the single heart piece is in the Vault in Distorted Travesty 3? I only need 1 more for a health upgrade, and that's the only available one (that's not behind a fucking cursed trial holy shit) but since there's no level delineation in the vault I have no idea where it could be, and I don't want to replay the whole vault (especially since I might just miss it again). Anybody know where it is?

What game?

Distorted Travesty 3.
I'm going and collecting as much health as I can cause the bosses are getting pretty intense. Not like a single heart or two will make a big difference, though.

Well, fuck. I can't help you, sorry.

Which one of you fuckers did this?

youtube.com/watch?v=IRGZiappzgM

Don't worry about it, asking for help for an obscure game like DT3 is a shot in the dark anyway.

But this is supposed to be the obscure game thread. I don't feel like I belong when I can't answer.

Don't worry, I found it.
For those in the future, it's in the vertical shaft where the Abomination chased you.

I'm pretty sure it is allowed based on this general consisting of many other dead generals.

Unless /ffg/ counts Last Remnant among their domain due to very indirect relations with Final Fantasy [Last Remnant is basically a SAGA game, the earliest of which was branded as Final Fantasy in the west] then this is probably the correct place considering /jrpgg/ is dead and gone.

Any good exploration-heavy game recommendations? I beat Axiom Verge recently and it didn't quite scratch my itch.

Uriel's Chasm was pretty fun, one for the absurdist recs imo.

Knytt Underground

That looks fun. I played the original and enjoyed it, so I think I'll give this one a go too.

>/gag/ and /gsg/

They're pointless.
The "improved" graphics don't add anything to the game, in the latest avernum they even make it arguably worse. Same tiles are used for different zoom levels (world map & local mps), so more detailed higher resolution tiles don't fit as well as more abstract ones.

But the worst is his attempts to modernize them: Dumbed down spell & skill systems. The original Avernums still have a decent character system, but many fun spells were removed.

And the second trilogy just isn't as good as the first one.

long live /jrpg/

It was full of lolicon assholes and Idea Factory apologists

Nothing wrong with lolicons.

/jrpg/ had the worst tripfags. They were the most awful little shits and had bad taste

Damn, the old thread died?

>Funny how after a while you learn that scavenging buildings is a waste of time if you want resources and money
You learnt wrong. Scavenging is THE best way to get loot. Other than killing, but that's more risky. You just need to learn the where, what and how of scavenging. Shit near Detroit is already looted dry, so scavenging is pointless near that corner of the map. Loot and safety bars should always be green, but even at full safety it might be a good idea to avoid certain dangerous locations.

Melee is powerful, but if anything the game favors low-tech survivalist builds and botany is pretty good for that. Tannin tea keeps your immune system maxed and you literally can't run out of safe food.

So what's going on with that new Bubsy game?

Saddens me what /jrpg/ became before it died.

I was never there for the glory days at least I don't think

>Its another 1 shotted in the prison depths episode

Man,i had 5 upgrades for skills , 3 for hp and 4 for damage,and i got knocked up by a Blinking skelelly and blown out by a kamikaze bat.

I hate the Bs undead skellys that make nearby allies invinsible,such a hard area to do without cheesing it.

From what game is he?

Grow Home and Grow Up perhaps if you're in it for the exploration. If you want a Metroidvania, Hollow Knight.

hylics or hylecs or something, it seemed pretty good but I never got it

Hylics.

Pretty uh, interesting, game.

Pros:
Interesting setting
Mind melting randomly generated text for essentially everything
Chill ass music

Cons:
Combat juice (visual/audial feedback for player input) is a bit weak
Mind melting randomly generated text for essentially everything
Weak pacing later into the game

Someone tell me that the Venus switcheroo in We Know the Devil was actually narrative genius instead of obvious and kind of belittling/offputting please I was so close to finally seeing truth I was this close I WAS THIS CLOSE.

geez stop dying all the time

>want a general for discussing dead cells tactics
>This one keeps dying

pls no

Is he thecatamites ?

it keeps happening

>every RPG in forever requires you to grind
You must have played a lot of mainstream rpgs.

To clear this up: Randomized text is only for unimportant npcs. Every sign, shopkeeper and npc that gives important directions has nonrandomized text.

I really hate the art direction
I suppose it's post-processed clay photos or something, but it looks nauseating

Yeah it is clay environments but put through low quality conversion. Not sure if rpgmaker could not handle better or if that look is intended.

>boss design exploiting the fact Claire's hair whip is angled down instead of up
It hurts so good

That is some good gamedesign.

why is being a snake so hard

Part of it is that after my first few times I stopped taking lockpicking, since I didn't have the tools to unlock anything anyway and it did shit all to improve my immediate chances of survival. So any building I found so far on the south-southeast part of the map that were not locked contained nothing but trash.

I did some scouting up north, things were disturbingly quiet up there. Haven't seen a single soul. Almost as if they are hiding like me. Spooky. So I haven't done any scavenging there yet. But bringing things back from such a distance wouldn't be easy. Maybe with a rented car.

But the good news is, if there really aren't that many humans farther away from Detroit, if I find a good secure campsite in a place with little traffic, I could pile up some resources and set up a semi-permanent camp. Noise traps would help, but I hope there are better security options. I found recipes mentioning drones, but it wasn't clear if those have weapons or if they can be used as some kind of physical security system. And even if they can, I'd have to get my hands on one first. And fuck, I think I skipped taking electronics this time. Not good.

But seriously though, how the fuck do I use memory sticks?

To compensate for being adorable.

>I stopped taking lockpicking, since I didn't have the tool
You only need 8 small parts to craft lockpicks and you can recraft them whenever they break, but lockpicking is not really necessary to get good loot. A crowbar also gets you into locked spaces and generally improves loot amount. Strong also improves loot amount and so do lighters & night vision.

>But seriously though, how the fuck do I use memory sticks?
Same way you transfer anything from one container to another.
You need a compatible, unlocked and powered-on device. Put memory stick in one hand, the device in other and you can drag & drop transfer software back and forth.

>every RPG in forever requires you to grind
Are J and MMO "RPGs" the only RPGs you ever played?

>14 hours later
>still SEETHING

>"RPGs"
why are you even still here

I fucking hate the prison depths. I have tried so many times and I have not cleared it even once.

>Put memory stick in one hand, the device in other

Jesus, I never would have figured this out. There is an amount of logic in it, but when I can place electric charges on the ground this feels a bit too complicated. Thanks, man.

And also thanks for the tannin tea tip. I thought it was poisonous, since tannins are not exactly that great for your health, especially in larger doses.

>blade bot fight
There is a point where DT3 needed to stop and it has clearly passed it
but let's keep going and see what happens

The bomb bats honestly do way too much damage.

what's with the manga spider?

It's a joke because the last thread died at page 10 with only 100 posts or so.

>enter the prison depths
>die within 4 seconds because the first room contained 4 invisible arches and an invisible skeleton knight who 100-0'd my health bar

Is there any purpose to actually clearing the prison depths? The only point I've seen to them is to guarantee that your run will end in the 3rd zone.

Reminds me - anyone else dumb enough to kickstart Chasm?

>Combat juice

what a weird term

i wanna stick my dick inside Marnie

>things that die in the night

Why are her legs half of the normal size?

Been playing Oneshot.
The girl, Niko, is damn adorable.

Not sure I dig the "You only get one chance, [user]" part, thought.

Niko's gender isn't actually known. She may actually be a little boy.

She's too cute to be a boy.

boy

Funnily enough, the puzzles also remind me of OFF, with that "it's not complicated but you need to mark it down somewhere" feeling.

But please tell me the "only one chance" is bullshit, I'm scared for the cute cat girl. She's adorable.

literally perfection

I heard the whole "one chance" thing only applied to the original 2014 version and not the Steam version that expanded on the original.

You do only get one chance, but at no point is Niko ever actually going to be in any danger
And there's a good reason for that, which you'll find out later on

Also in the Steam remake closing the game outside of going to bed doesn't kill Niko, like it did in the original, but you get a cheevo for not doing so anyway

Oh, good.

Fuck achievements, that girl is too cute to kill.

While it doesn't kill Niko anymore, Niko does still take notice when you close and reopen the game

Oh shit.

It also doesn't reset your progress back to the last time Niko went to sleep
When you open up the game, you're back in the exact same spot you were when you closed it, and you get a bit of dialogue from Niko
Whether you want the cheevo or the dialogue is up to you

I don't want to do anything that would hurt the poor, cute catgirl.

The game does a fine job of putting you in command and pressuring you into accepting.
That's why I always pick silly names when asked to put one, so that I don't concerned by what happens.

Personally, I was glad I didn't decide to go that route when I played
I feel like the game had a bit more of an impact on me than it otherwise would have if I hadn't used my real name

I have played for less than 10 minutes but I already care more about Nykos when I cared about the Batter or Ib.

It's a weird feeling, but it's not unpleasant.

Yeah, I feel you
Have fun with the rest of the game, because that's not going to go away

At this rate, I'm going to end up wanting a Nikos plushie so that I can hug her and tickle her little ears.

Next appart I'm moving in better allow animals, I could use some contact that won't argue about stupid shit.

Just be careful not to be going into tulpa territory, friendo

What the fuck is a tulpa? Is it a monster I'll have to fight?

Go check /trash/, that's where the tupper general's ended up

It's someone intentionally making themselves crazy by creating an "imaginary friend" of sorts, except if done "properly" they don't go away and are then just a permanent fixture of your psyche.

No. It's a monster you'll have to fuck

Why the fuck would anyone want that?

Intense, desperate love of a character.

Good thing I was too lazy to go through with it.

I still have trouble believing that this is actually real. It always seemed like shitposting to me.

I'd like to do that, but I would create a racist, hyperviolent punk.
That might be fun to get into arguments with him.

Profound, desperate loneliness.

>Is it a monster I'll have to fight?

Well, it can be.

That movie was forever ruined by what I learned recently : nypost.com/2015/09/01/day-care-workers-had-young-kids-brawl-in-fight-club-videos/

HOOOLLLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT THIS GAME
Not even the games finish and they already pull so many strings in my gut.