Is anyone else here just completely jaded by modern vehicles?

Is anyone else here just completely jaded by modern vehicles?

>most are auto only
>stupid complicated computer system on them
>all look similar

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/02/no-fixed-abode-gotta-rich-cheap-car/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

idk im starting to like citroens now.
just in the mood for something different. and i have always hated german cars

I have a shit running, beat up, cracked windshield, water leaking 92 Bronco and it drives better than my mom's car I was forced to drive recently (09 Equinox). The drive-by-wire in these new shitboxes is so bad it's ridiculous.

It's remarkable how chintzy gear shifters feel now. It's like something Mad Catz would have made.

I completely agree with you. Modern cars are too confusing, too bland, too uncomfortable, and too similar for my tastes. I want to go back to the 90s, when cars actually looked different from one another and regulations weren't so strict.

good thread
>inb4 MUH TESLA savin the world!!

>1 battery every 2 years!

>tfw CIA can hack into cars and crash them into trees

Lets see them try that on my 87 toyota that doesnt even have power steering!

>itt:poorfags

Yea I'm sure riding around with windows down and smelling like exhaust is so great.

it is actually

I recently bought a TD Volkswagen Golf (2 years ago actually) ever since I bought it I hated the driving experience. It was so plastic and uninvolved, it was emoitionless. Now that VW bought it back I went out and bought me a RHD 1987 Toyota Surf with a diesel engine and the driving experience with it is so much more enjoyable.

>>most are auto only
>>stupid complicated computer system on them
>>all look similar

this is why i haven't bought new

>The drive-by-wire

this got me fucked up

i drove a shitty 2005 auto sentra for years with drive by wire throttle with no cruise control

that shit was awful the pedal felt like an on/off switch, and it had almost no feedback on the gas pedal, you had to crane your foot in an awkward position in order to actually drive on the highway, it hurt after like 30 minutes

that being said it wasn't all bad, the brakes were super direct, great pedal feel with no abs, also it was a small car so it was fun to throw around corners

I recently bought a 75 camaro

>10mpg
>no a/c
>dash is zip tied
>loud
>overall a shit box

Biggest fucking smile ive had in a long time driving it.

mah nigga

You have the choice of

>small blob

hyundai accent
ford fiesta
chevrolet spark
honda fit
toyota yaris
etc.

>large blob

hyundai tucson
ford escape
honda cr-v
chevy equinox
volvo xc90
bmw x5
etc

outwardly they have zero character whatsoever and are carbon copies of eachother

so yes
yes
yes

>2 door Hilux SUV
nice

Newer vehicles have some advantages, like electronic power steering/power brakes/etc. so suddenly a lot of things that used to be power leeches are power leeches no longer. What I really hate is drive-by-wire throttles and the like.

I like old vehicles because it actually feels like you're driving them. Going 80mph in my chevelle feels like I'm the fastest man on earth. kek

I can't mechanic on stuff so I just buy new stuff

Yes user I'm a special snowflake too.

French cars are shit

That is a 4runner before it was called a 4runner

I don't really like the bx models, but I'll give you, that one looks fucking good.

No that's what the 4Runner is called in parts of the world besides the US. Just like gone hilux is the "pickup" in the states.

But you can't have Bluetooth

Is the FJ40 better than a wrangler?

Of course. Jeeps are a joke. Just ask anyone who's stuck with owning one.

dude

Wranglers arent THAT bad. I have a 95 YJ and its a good beater vehicle. I would still much rather have a FJ

wrangler
front axle disconnect with baby u joints
dana 35 shit tier axle, easily broken stock
rides like its on bumpstops
terrible rear door which sags

I was just feeling this OP. I drive rental cars for work a lot, which are obviously the bottom of the barrel, but any modern car I've been in (like Uber drivers and such) just feel like... weird rooms, insulated from the experience of driving. I like my motorcycle, I like my Crown Vic, I like my beater 85 Ranger. I was just thinking yesterday about what I would buy, theoretically, if I was to go to a dealership and purchase a new car. I can't think of anything.

> he won't ever be able to park next to EV's
> Watch them cry as they smell the petrol fumes

In New Zealand we call them "surfs"

Working on getting one ready as a weekend round-towner.

I feel that we've reached a point where there's so little focus on longevity that future car culture will be basically nonexistent. What will happen to mass produced shit boxes from 5 years ago? It's not viable or even possible to continuously repair aging electronics and specialty components. I can't see any modern car being recognized as a "classic" 25 years from now.

>landcruiser
mah nigga

Second gen prados are the only ones past the original FJ40s I like.

Cars are basically like cell phones now. Use it, abuse it and loose it, Repeat. The ex-lease cars gets financed to people that are "too smart to pay the deprecation" so the dealers can make money off the repairs. Or shipped off to the third world.

crown vic`s are maximum comfy.
plus gotta love
>muh Rwd V8

Fuck I want a FJ40 with a diesel engine in it. Did they import the diesel engines in the US or was that an international market only like most of their diesels?

I'm pretty solidly stuck in about 1992.

Doesn't feel bad, I tell you what

Are you high? Even modern shitboxes last hundreds of thousands of miles these days

The engine will but everything around it will fall apart. The interior and build quality on modern day shitboxes is abysmal at best.

Never buying a car made after 2010

>buying a car that doesn't have mechanical injectors/carb

Eh, not really

Whenever I drive them I always notice how quiet they are, how smooth the gears change, often quite good original stereos, nice seats and all that

But - they are still not cars I'd really want to live with. I feel no need for the gadgets they have, their low MPGs, the sensors, the big screens... I have pretty much all I'll ever need in my 14 year old pickup, with the few things missing being easily modifiable

I can completely understand why "everyone" (read; fucking normies) wants a modern car, but I just don't see the benefit in it for me

The 4runner's forerunner?

I just bought a '77 Firebird a while ago and thought it was so sick at first. Sold it. One reason for selling it was that it's stupid to own anything '74+ in Cali because I can't do shit to it without it not passing smog. Second is that the novelty wore off and it started feeling like a rolling pos. I have a '69 merc that seems so much better built than that was.

You have to pass smog for anything past 76? In NC anything before 1995 you don't have to pass emissions

Ya anything 75 and up has to pass brutal California smog regulations which are pretty ridiculous unless you "know" somebody, which I don't. That Firebird was pretty much my dream to fix up, but fuck it just wasn't worth it if I have to keep it with a smogger engine. It had some rot too...

Fuck yes, thankfully I got a Vibe recently and they're everywhere so I should be able to keep it alive forever.

I would maybe want an EV someday, but without all the digital shit and safety shit.

Working as a mechanic I absolutely fucking hate modern cars. Every little thing is engineered in such a stupid way and computers control everything.
Take the oil filter for example. Most cars used to have have the metal cartridge type and that was fine. They weren't perfect but they worked. Now more and more cars have thr paper filter held on with a dumbass plastic cap thats way more of a pain in the ass than it needs to be.

But back on topic most new cars feel soulless. I got a 2016 Camry as a rental and I took it through some backroads as a test. Even though it was peppy and could take corners surprisingly well it just wasn't fun. When I downshifted and revved up the engine it just sounded like a frustated fat man with his mouth sewn shut screaming.
And because of the quiet engine and lack of feeling I caught myself speeding more than I usually do. Not for fun but because I just wantrd to the the drive over with, I was bored whenever I drove that car.

I agree with the too quiet. Sure it's nice to hear music well and everything but it bugs me when the engine is too quiet.
There's zero sound insulation in my car, but it has a small engine so the sound level is just perfect. Can easily hear a converstation, too.

This was also an issue for me. I am and when I had the VW Golf I would routinely find myself going 80-85mph because the car was making zero noise. It sounded, and felt like I was going 50mph.

That sucks.

In Utah, not only does anything older than 30 years count as antique (read: emissions exempt), but we also just killed safety inspections statewide for all cars, apparently because some senator got a fixit ticket for a taillight being out and decided to fixit the law. Kicks in next year, I am going to go so stupid hard on my cars.

original land cruiser is the best looking vehicle ever made.

currently at stock my sonic is silent at idle almost silent below 3k and then you hit 3k and up and it becomes race car loud

i dont get it

>tfw 1991 Defender
Heater is trash, drum brakes all around, mechanical diesel, roof leaks, headliner is sagging and the only modern amenity of any kind is a USB socket I installed where the cig lighter used to be

And I wouldn't trade it for anything, it's so much better than anything modern. Only thing I'd change would be better seats

E-rod crate engine my dude, but you gotta pay to play.

>Most are auto only
Automatics have gotten better and are currently replacing most new performance cars
>Stupid complicated computer system on them
You are either a dumbass or an oldman who time is over.
>all look similar
You can pretty much argue that is the case for any year of vehicle. Everything has a similar style for the most part.

Go and be a hipster somewhere else faggot.

I drive a 93 XJ and fucking love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

>angry soapbar
>almost no rear window
I'll just ride motorcycles until this stops

is that a toyota celica?

>Go to stealership to buy a new car
>two engines, a 200HP turbo charged 4 cylinder engine that gets 25MPG or a 300HP V6 that also gets 25MPG
>6 speed auto or a 8 speed auto. There may be a 6 speed manual but it'll only be available with the 4 cylinder
>it's a 3,800lb car that weighed 2,800 lbs four generations ago in the 90's
>spend four hours dealing with their bullshit
>spend seven hours and an entire bottle of Advil dealing with insurance and registration bullshit
>finally get to drive it, takes about 20 seconds to open the doors because the keyless entry system never works and the doors automatically lock
>as soon as you open the door seven different chimes start blaring through the stereo
>some fuck at the dealership turned the heat to full blast
>can't turn it off because it can only be turned off by going through seventeen menus on the touch screen that's really just an expensive mirror because its slightly sunny outside
>every radio station is just 75% commercials and top 40 no matter what genre
>spend 6 minutes getting Bluetooth to work, literally every single time you try to connect your phone to the radio
>you can't be moving to be able to use the touch screen anyway
>can't drive the car for more than 2 minutes before you have severe back pain because modern car seats are somehow less comfortable than a fucking bus seat
>when you put your foot down on the throttle it takes 2 seconds for the engine to start revving
>can't feel the road in the slightest through the steering wheel even if you run over a dead squirrel
>can't hear the engine at all below 4,000 RPM

>modern "luxury" cars and trucks with automatic transmissions don't have column shifters or bench seats, instead they have fuckhuge center consoles so you're knees are in constant pain unless you're short
>the armrest on the door protrudes about 5 inches from the door so your other knee is also in constant pain
>you can't rest your arm on the thing anyway because it's too short
>window is at chin level, if you open it in the slightest above 4 MPH all you will be able to hear is wind noise
>viability is comparable to putting up the hood on a hoodie two sizes too big for you and trying to see out of it
>after two years the edges of every body panel are rusting despite rust proofing and regally washing road salt off during the winter
>one day you get a flat tire and you find out they don't even offer a spare and a scissor jack because they assume that people that buy new cars can't comprehend how to change a tire
>new tire is expensive as fuck because for some reason modern cars need be rollin on dubs from the factory

Thing is, normies don't even like modern cars because of all of this bullshit. They buy into stuff like thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/02/no-fixed-abode-gotta-rich-cheap-car/. To some extent that article is true. However I imagain that most of the people on this board own a used car in the $3000-$5000 range and spend $1000-$2000 per year maintaining it. While spending less on insurance and gas compared to a new car.

Buy you're dream analog sports car while it's still cheap Veeky Forums.

Thermodynamics, man.
The power still has to come from somewhere.

>mfw I use a USB powered Bluetooth speaker in my 74 VW Beetle
Also, I fixed the OEM radio too, so suck on that.

>Automatics have gotten better
That doesn't change the fact that it's still another way you're cut off from that feeling of actually driving the car. Some people LIKE to wrench gears around, and you can't just come in and change their opinions.

>You are either a dumbass or an oldman who time is over.
We got along just fine without computers in cars for over a century. Why do we need them now?

>Everything has a similar style for the most part.
Not the 90s and early 2000s. Even cars from the same brand looked different. Like, do you really think a 1995 Dodge Stratus looks anything like the Caravans of the same model year? Or how about the Oldsmobile Aurora? Does it look at all like the Bravada?

Some normies are lured into buying new cars because they think they'll look better if they have a new car. Fun fact: 90% of all the late-model cars I see are parked in front of not-so-nice small houses or even trailers. Whereas the giant modern homes tend to have cars that are at least 15 years old. Priorities, man.

Really I think the main reason why new car sales have been so strong this year is because a lot of normies buy a new car once every 15 years. If you recall, 2001 and 2002 were HUGE years for new car sales. It seems like half of all used cars I see on Craigslist, etc. are either 2001 or 2002. Also the media, like Consumer Reports and MotorWeek, have turned into nothing more than advertisements for new cars, showing off all the things they think people want to buy while ignoring all the negatives or touting them as positive.

Looks like it to me.

>automatics have gotten better
It will never be the preferred choice for anything except in-line racing

>oldman who time is over
ESL and a dumbass who has never personally worked with these systems. Fixing them is needlessly complicated on purpose as they dont want you fixing your own car

And yes they all look similar now. So much so that its just insulting now.

Old cars are precious and the interiors are often really nice looking, I hate modern cars only modern things I like are bikes and the rare modern car (Usually supercar and from the early 00's)

true that, Ive got a 1957 ford f100, most comfortable ride I've got, maxes out at 50-60 mph though, but it feels awesome since it has the original straight axle front end and the engine is redlining at 3500-4000 RPM

I thought that as a well written article, especially where he pointed out why self maintaining $5k shitboxes just can't work for most people. I even see this in myself, if I didn't live near my parents who have a garage I can use any time and a tool box full of tools I would have traded in my $5k shitbox for a new car payment years ago because there's no way I can get away with anything more than an oil change in my apartment parking lot and even that is wicked risky. On my car I've done the clutch (twice), the front struts, the sway links, untold number of oil changes, both rear wheel bearings, and most recently a CV boot + axle seal.

>bought 1992 toyota pickup 5 years ago
>dont DD it but drive is 3-4 days a week
>since then I have spent maybe 200 in maintence/repairs on it
>paid a total of $1000 for the truck

There is no way a newish car would be this cheap to maintain over 5 years. All I had to do was replace the clutch master/slave, replace a battery, replace a U-joint, and replace my tie-rods and centerlink.

Same way , if i can't buy it cash I don't get to own it. If i put 5-600 a month into my 2000 dollar shitbox , it wouldn't take long to have a very nice ride.
Instead they pay 5-600 a month to drive something new , pay it off in five years and than trade it in and start paying all over again

its called Stockholm syndrom

how can a car look even more awful after its been lowered. truly a marvel of modern science.

None of these are arguments.

I drive two cars, a 2004 where just the gas readout is digital, and a 1999, where nothing is.

>Mad Catz
Can't believe I lost thousands on that POS company.

Feel you user

I drive 1977 series 3. Much the same. Shit drum brakes, had to install an electic pusher fan so it would cool properly, the electrics exist only to run the lights, doesn't even have winding windows they slide forward on a rail

But goddamit I love it