Is it worth getting into cars with our future most likely being electric and self-driving?

Is it worth getting into cars with our future most likely being electric and self-driving?

I'm only just now seeing the magic of it but the future seems really depressing

Go into I.T. user.
I did and I'm pretty stable now.
The future is depressing though, I won't argue with you there.

its worth getting into cars BECAUSE our future is electric and self driving cars.

a manual ICE sport coupe is going to be a major collectors item in 20 years.

do real Miatas really have spikey tongues?

i dont mind electric as long as i can drive it

i dont mind dumb asses that cant drive having their self driving cars carry them everywhere, but thats not what im about

i do have mixed feelings about this though. part of me growing up was maintaining my first pile of shit altima and hooning it in high school hearing that engine noise got me all excited when i was a teen

and another part of me growing up was blowing up my goddamn engine in my second car after hooning too hard (it blew the rod bearings) after replacing the engine i drove it right and proper and cared for it

i dont think its going to be that soon, electric cars and self driving cars have to be mainstream first.

after its mainstream i think there will be a huge depreciation of value for all ICE cars, that's when you buy a desirable ICE car because itll be the cheapest then.

then the rise in price will happen for desirable ICE cars,
then that's when you sell your ICE car. i estimate about anywhere from 25 to 35 years before this happens.

cept that gas will quintuple in price and gas pumps will be one per town and hidden away in little garages in the nigger part of town

nah, nobody is going to want a 2000+ electrobox thats drive by wire. if people are going to drive an ICE car in a AI/EV future, they are going to want the real deal, throttle cables and everything. the cars we have now are bastards that noone will want.

this is another issue entirely, i also think it will take years to reach this point

i mostly agree i feel like even with drive by wire throttle some cars are still valuable. if its a shitty cheap drive by wire than it wont be valuable, but if its good than yeah it will still have value.

that being said i feel like 90s Japanese performance cars (supra, rx7, etc) in this hypothetical situation will shoot up in value a lot

>self-driving?
This is a meme, and it won't be universal in your working life. It will exist, but it won't be universal
>electric
Go race electric Karts, you won't be so down on electric after. It's not gonna be so bad.

We will all probably be dead, or at least in a home before self driving is a real, widespread thing.

Keep in mind cars are already a richfag hobby. Those people with millions in cars aren't going to just roll over and let their money/enjoyment go down the pisser. Go for it, we will be one of the last generation to have the chance

> be 2040
> all cars are electric self driving
> roll out at 3am in your highly illegal biodiesel powered turbo rwd 2500 pound 80s coupe
> know exactly how car A I will behave as you slalom regular drivers
> be pursued by police
> lead them on prolonged chase beyond their battery capacity
> be a living legend

Get into sim racing, they can't take that away from ya.

NOT THE SAME

EVs are interesting and can be a ton of fun, although I have doubts about the 2040 target some countries are setting for vehicles to be EV-only, due to production constraints on batteries, the need for electric grids to be upgraded to handle the load, and the slow speed of charging. Eventually we'll get the energy storage breakthrough that lets EVs go mainstream, but that may be a long while coming. Also, ICE will continue being mainstream in less-developed areas of the world with poor electrical grids, as well as for applications where fuel portability is a must, or where the energy density of batteries is insufficient. I think it'll hold on in developed areas like Japan, too, due to the fragility of their electrical grid in disasters.

self-driving is a long ways away. Even semi-autonomous features like highway autopilot is a long way away. I honestly don't think that full autonomy can happen without strong AI, and if there's a breakthrough on that front, there are sticky philosophical and moral issues surrounding the idea of enslaving a sentient being to a machine.

It's time for some revolution, right here and now before it gets further than it is. But unfortunately no one has the balls for that now. Not violent revolution, just doing the things we want without "protesting" or lobbying first. Just do it, words are cheap. Tune up your car, make it loud, make it fast, make it bad for the environment, make it unsafe, and most importantly make it popular until so many people are breaking the law that no one can stop it.

I never really meant as a career, just a hobby. I *am* into I.T. on the career side of things

Truckers won't ever switch to batteries. We may have to go diesel for cheap hoons, but on the other hand- why not? Globloads of torque is fun.
Or we'll all ride on corn juice and/or LPG..

Don't be discouraged. That future is inevitable but it will take a good bit of time before car dystopia is actually reality. Get into cars and help push the change back

>living in a first world cuckhole where ICE cars will get banned

lol, ICE is superior anyway

>Self driving will be universal because of how much more efficient it would be and in addition it will also save countless lives in car accidents

That's the counter argument

Depends on where you live
I'm America electric cars will be a meme for a very long time. The Midwest is simply to empty and rural to support electric charging stations, our commutes are too long, and most Americans take some pride in their vehicles, so they'd rather have a veeyate than a rc car

There's also the issue of our horrible power grid, I don't think electric cars will ever take off in the United States simply because of this. The government has no interest in fixing the problem so it's never going to bappen. As it stands we would get massive blackouts of even 10% of cars were EV. That's insane to even picture.

Europe is cucked to he'll and back and could probably support lots of EV cars. Hell an EV car might even be a good buy for a daily there since most people's commutes are so short.

I wouldn't get too up in a twist about self driving cars either. Theyre a good 30 years off and most country's insurance laws require someone to be behind the wheel as a backup. I don't see that changing.
The future will be hybrid desu, we have enough oil to last a thousand years and by then well all drive hydrogen rotaries or has turbine cars desu.

Thank you for giving me hope in my existential crisis

Not the same user here
but the infrastructure of drivable ICE cars will be around for a long time. I'd say as a hobby it's at a high right now in terms of popularity as it's ever going to get.

fuck you retard its nowhere near the same.
It's like saying that posting"muh minivan" is the same as taking your gt86 to a racetrack and driving it to your and the cars limit against the clock every month.

I doubt that. My guess is that when electric cars put pressure on the oil companies there will be a brief period where they'll try to liquidate their oil for cheap in order to compete. But after that period it's anyone's guess.

He didn't say anything about that you retard. His point is that it won't be as ubiquitous as some people think. There are so many that have to happen to make this a reality everywhere.

Gas will not quintuple in price is say it'll stay stable for a long tkme. The only reason it shot up back in the late 2000's was because those OPEC faggots were trying to rig the world economy. Obama released all that crude then subsidized the shit out of domestic oil production which caused the market to crash back down to like 1.50 for a while. This is why the commie fucks in Venezuela are starving. We have enough oil to last for centuries upon centuries

>our future most likely being electric and self-driving?
True but in the meantime the car market is still heavily consumer driven. If people have distrust in self driving cars in the early stages of development they'll still opt for drivable cars. Currently self driving cars are still have a long way from being perfected and infrastructure changes from the government will take a while because of bureaucratic bullshit and what not.

So it's the same argument as the death of manual transmission. It will only die when there's no longer a market for it. As long as manufactures see it's still viable as a business they'll keep producing cars.

reminder that mandatory autonomous will never be a thing

reminder that classic cars are celebrated in most societies as a project of passion and dedication and there's very few laws restricting them, and expecting that mindset to go away is silly

reminder that motorcycles still exist when they're considered super unsafe and yet we allow them