Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo: pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

The Long Road demo:
gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740

/rpgmg/ Discord:
discord.gg/CPvWzJK

Chain Game: Chapter 2
dropbox.com/s/0pn5b7e29gdrz1y/CollabProj-2.zip?dl=0
Chapter 3 in progress | Gemini

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Y_tJz7I1zFs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Time to post progress Anons, show us what you are working on.
Do you need any input? Be sure to ask.

you had 1 job OP.

>characters learn magic that belongs to 3 elements
>first dungeon
>forest
>enemies: insects, plants, mushrooms
>all weak to fire
What do?

Whats this chain game all about

1st for steel zeroes is too curvy

Switch the insect weakness to something else, give one of them a defensive ability that negates it, or swap for a different enemy type.

What are the current 3 elements?

Fire, Ice, and Lightning.

set daily goals.

my immediate goals:
>allow monsters to be destroyed
>add swordsmen, self circular aoe
>add mages, targeted ranged aoe

Get more creative with he elements, that way enemy defences won't be as predictable.

Let only be one type of insect be weak to fire

Insects can take ice since many of them don't like the cold, while mushrooms and plants can keep fire. You might need another enemy type if you really want a lightning weakness, though I could see an argument for a tree monster having it. Some kind of slime or bird enemy, maybe. Depends on what you want to do.

use physical attacks 'cause I'm hipster queer with a personality disorder that's afraid playing a role will define my identity. Self-expression take priority over everything and everyone else, and since there's no "self" in a decision I didn't make - I'll "choose" to be contrary.

It's a collaboration game. You're suppose take 2 weeks, add a chapter (hence "chain"), and pass it on to someone else. If you're a no show after a month - your work is null and someone else takes over

But give them an inch - they take a mile.
Gemini, the current collaborator, is overdue and riding on the grace period.

Wait, doesn't he have like 4 days or so left?

That's neat. How do you sign up or w/e the fuck

Pretty much what happened with the last Collab project.
After the first 3, people started taking a month...then 2 months...the last chapter went on for a year because nobody was holding anyone accountable.

I'm next. You just tell the current collaborate you want to go. First come first serve, I guess. We could make a line, but it's a long wait and people's availability change.

I don't mind if Gemini takes his time. I'm still working out how I'm going to cement everything. Up to this point it's been open to suggestion. But now we're in the middle and things to be explained, motivations examined, and start steering it in a direction for the last collaborators to conclude.

Working on a final dungeon, one of the puzzles to be precise. The puzzle in question includes deciphering alien numbers and simple multiple dimensions shenanigans.

BSTAnon passed the baton on April 27th.
21 days. Technically that's 3 weeks.
Not to be a hardass or anything, but after today he'll be entering his 4th week.

Worked on stuff today, here's some wip.
Contains engrish

youtu.be/Y_tJz7I1zFs

Actually the 27th was just when the project link with BSTAnon's chapter was added to the OP.
If I wanted to be a real hardass about it, you can look at the ZIP Folder date, which was the 21st. Nearly a week before that.
But I guess it's only fair to give collaborators time to pick up the project and play through the previous chapters.

bump

If anyone else is having the black screen issue when trying to test your game, try out downloading nwjs, and using that to run your project. It'll take some tweaking and running an external program isn't ideal, but hey if it works.

Up you go

Why aren't you working on your game?

Free Login Campaign. Imma gunna waste it raising my Bonecraft skill so I can forge Coral Armor that's worthless since they raised the Level cap to 99.

I'm bored.

Create a new town for your project

stop it

How do I make fetch quests interesting?

make the quest dialogue interesting

>enemies take damage and can die
Pretty cute seeing enemies explode in a flame battle animation.

It took me a while to realize that was looping. Looks good.

Testing out some simple stuff in MV, making a funny little metroidvania thing where you play as a goth girl in a futuristic city.

Slums have been sealed off by the Military Police, and you have to get out.

You do that by exploring the strange sewers under the slums...and the mystery of why it's sealed off begins to unravel.

Slipping in humor and shit. It's like my goof off project. Probably less RPG heavy and more puzzle solving but I'm gonna slap that ARPG in there to give like a zelda/castlevania feel.

Do the little girls target the mooks or are they attacking the same squares at regular intervals?

Also working on a short OST for it, probably like 80s electronica, darkwave, and industrial music for it sound alright?

I've replaced the 3D enemy sprites for MSpaint ones to keep art consistency. The mixed artstyle just didn't look right, even if there was a reason story-wise.

Still testing gameplay.

They're targetting the monsters themselves. They'll constantly attack the same monster until it moves out of range.

Do I need to install RPG Maker to play RPG Maker games? Or do I just need the RTP?

Assuming it is not a RPGMaker MV game, and that the game you are intending to play doesn't come with its own Resources (which would make it weight at least 100 MB), you need the RTP of the specific version in which it was made. So VX RTP for the Witch's House or 2003 for Yume Nikki.

Has any game ever made "Gotta Rescue'Em All" fun?

I kinda decided that my game would have Gotta Rescue'Em All as its sole plot, but I believe every game which I've played that used that trope usually at least had some kind of "deepest lore" or a linear main quest to use.

RPG Maker newfag here; how do I make sure my classes are not overpowered? From these classes, based on general RPG class tropes, do any of you know how the stats should be distributed? The Crusader is just supposed to be the typical physical damage dealer. Warlock, Paladin, and Necromancer will end up being unlocked later in the game.

So, better to install all the RTPs?

I'd say, if you're not sure, just try them out, and if they overperform, they're obviously a problem. That's when the stat/skill balance should begin.
Just my opinion though, not an expert either.

Not really. I haven't played a game made in rpg maker 2003 in years.

Playtesting and/or Excel Sheets.

Cut it off faggot

>new with rpgmaker and decide to try out the tutorial it has just to learn things that might be difficult through just trial and error
>the unresponsiveness to clicking 'next' is starting to really grind my gears

Just got started, but, game about a little girl being raised by nomadic warriors is beginning.

I'm still waiting for Lecode to update his plugin.
I just want to create my version of FFT.

On the other hand, the 2k3 rtp is like... 25mb. You might as well grab everything at the same time.

BUMP

>try to playtest after tutorial
>just black screen even though I've playtested before the other day when I first downloaded it just fine
>make new projects but still playtest doesnt work
>reload my first project and it playtests fine
>redownload rpgmaker
>playtest immediately and it works
>try tutorial again and playtesting any new projects doesn't work.

I think the tutorial kills my playtesting capabilities

How do you handle actual racism in game?
I mean with different fantasy races there should be some kind of tension between them, no?

>How do you handle actual racism in game?
Easy, with cultural differences
I have demons in my game that want freedom from a tyrannical ruler, with the player character's king unsure if he should help them or not.

Try The Witcher games, especially 1 and 2(also books, but the racism theme in them is not mentioned as much as in the games). I think they handled racism between different fantasy races pretty well(although, it's only humans opressing elves, dwarves etc.). It also shows the darker side not only of the opressors but also opressed, so I think you can get some ideas how to handle it.

Who here /doesnt plan anything and just makes shit up as he goes along/ here?

Good night bump

That looks comfy

Wake up, /rpgmg/!

Depends on whether racism is overt or subtle. Some racism is 'I cross the street when I see a half-orc coming down one side of it' and other racism is shouting 'knife ear' when an elf dares walk down the street with her head held high, before beating the shit out of her when she turns around and dares to bark at you.

In general, one good thing to remember is that even in cultures where racism is strongly encouraged, that people vary.

Thanks buddy.

bump

No.

Stay alive

i think i'll take a guilty pleasure day and actually write music instead of scripting

>so here's this character
>this is his concept and personality
>his story arc will go like this
>this is how his mechanics work
>here's how the mechanics tie into the story arc
Cool, what does he look like?
>I dunno

There are lots of tutorials to learn to draw. How exactly does one learn to think visually?

Post your song(s)

Is that a bad thing?

You watch youtube and deviantart tutorials about character design. Most of which basically tell you to "think in shapes" (square, triangle, circle), where square is a static/stubbornt figure, triangle is energetic/aggressive and circle is soft/harmless. Then you compose your character's figure with those shapes.

Also try downloading the "Psychology of Color" book or look for tutorials regarding what different palettes mean (color doesn't usually have a meaning on its own, but once you have 2-3 colors together they acquire meaning based).

Some examples from Akira Toriyama:
Roshi from Dragon Ball has a square-ish body shape, showing some hidden strength, despite his somewhat skinny limbs. His body posture is always humble, so he doesn't come off as a jerk. But he has a bald head, wears an oval-shaped turtle shell, oval glasses and a design generally filled with circles, giving him a harmless appearance. There are some triangles in him, but they are drawn/animated as soft and curvy, constantly flapping, like a dog's tail.
Master Shen is Roshi's rival, and he is also an old man with a square body, but his design is instead full of spikes (triangles), making him appear more dangerous and less likeable. His posture also says he is arrogant.
Compare to Goku, who is also mainly circles (and originally had a tail for extra circles), but the circles are cut to produce hair spikes, giving him some hidden triangles that give the design extra energy.
Then you have a Krillin. Essentially a bunch of circles, like a mascot character. He is harmless and instantaneously likeable. That is why he always gets killed to make you feel sad.
And look at his villains with spikes and horns.

Another example:
Micky Mouse = Circles. Circles everywhere. Child-like poses,
Bendy from Bendy and the Ink Machine = Evil Mickey = horn shaped ears, triangle eye lights, considerably fewer circles, and most importantly, has a really fake-looking smile telling you that he hides something.

It's not much, but I made an elevator today

Trying out different background/fog combinations. Might leave out the fog entirely. Also moving away from those cursed airbrush tiles, towards more clearly pixel art ones.

I tried to get better shading for hills, but I'll probably just leave it like this.

nice

Y-you too..

The best way to learn is to steal. Look at existing designs, see what you like, and incorporate that. Not entire designs, just bits and pieces.

Aside from that, the info you already know most likely suggests some kind of appearance already. Think:
>where is he from
Gives you a pretty good idea as to appropriate hair and skin colour, and to some extent height (nordic people tend to be tall, asians short).
>what does he do
Physically demanding activities likely mean more bulk. If he's originally light-skinned, spending time outdoors is likely to give him a tan.
>how much does he care about appearances
Hair and clothes should make sense from a character perspective.
>etc

My advice from how I'm learning how to make maps; I load a custom map and then start making changes.

Truth be told, when I'm writing a character's appearance, I start making things up until they stick, but...drawing is different from describing.

Bump

>tfw sitting down with a coffee and vape in the only air conditioned room in my house
>tfw working on my game for the first time in three months

It's a great feeling. Anyways, how do you guys feel about multi-lingual stuff in games? I was gonna put in some German dialog in my games; it would be translated by one of the members of my party who's sort of "foreign". Is this interesting or do you think it's sort of a worthless addition?

I should add that I chose German simply because it's the only other language I know; also, the towns in my game are all named after towns near Aachen (in Germany) so that might be a cool easter egg. I'm kind of worried about the lack of umlauts in RPG Maker 2 though; it might make the text look a bit weird/incorrect.

You mean like a character speaks german and then your translator dude steps in an re-tells what was just told? It could slow down the pace and be annoying in some cases (like if it's a lot of dialogue in one place) but it doesn't have to. Would be cool if the translator is a dick/traitor and tricks you by mistranslating or making you respond in a bad way.

I kinda like it but it shouldn't be overused.

It was just going to be a couple messages here and there; the purpose of the German in-game is that it's the native tongue of an NPC and one of my party members. There's going to be a couple German only messages here and there, but the NPC will talk to our party using mainly English.

I live in one of these cities.
Not sure how to feel about this.

There's cities named after Düren, Heerlen, Mönchengladbach, Laurensberg, and Rohte Erde at the moment. I was living in Aachen when I made this game so I thought that'd be an easy way to think of town names. Also, almost all the characters are named after professional wrestlers

Bumpanronpa

I'm bored.

Go make the Dark Souls of RPG Maker games

bump

Gimme zombie and vampire enemies from other series I can use on my shit game preferably grunts and mobs. No Chocula though, hes already in and part of the story. So far I got Zubats and Boomers from L4D.

Are you the guy from the Sense of Right alliance game?

Yee

It'd be more interesting to have ice put insects to sleep, lots just go dormant during winter

Mona the Vampire
The Girls from Scooby Doo's Ghoul School
Monster High girls
Grim from Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Some characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Here's a small rule of thumb I tend to use for myself:
The "quick build buttons" (A through E) on the stat menu are there for a reason. You can use them without much worry, but if you're still dubious think about it this way:
A level 1 character's main stat should be roughly 20, and 800 on level 99, depending on the increase they get from the ultimate gear.
Their lowest stat should start at 5 and be roughly 300 by the end of the game. Considering ATK multiplies by 4 you get 80 damage with 20 and 20 with 5, not counting gear.
Also make classes good at their job. If you feel like a class has overpowered stats throw harder enemies at the player. Players like challenge.

No one builds a house from air.
Find some sort of fantasy character creator. Hit random a lot. Save those who look interesting, and then make small changes to things you want changed. You're sure to find a visual that suits your character's personality.

Don't underestimate the power of visual clues. Is your character a high-strength bruiser? He NEEDS to be big and bulky to convey the fact.
Is your character a frail mage? Make him look physically weak, yet powerful through more subtle means such as clothing and facial features.
Don't, for the love of fuck, look into etrian odyssey for inspiration. Fucking 5-year-old lolis as tank units.

After a simple delivery man accidentally opens up a package from the Super Genius Dexter, he obtains the power to control women to his whim. Using his newly attained power he constricts every woman in his city to his Harem Army and quickly conquers it. Now with his Dystopian Kingdom of Queens he sets out to conquer the neighboring city of Gotham. Who will stop him?

Pretty much the whole story I'm making of the Sense of Right Alliance is that a king,who I've yet to decide who, begins to unify all the evil kings in the world and bring back dead ones to take over the world. Kevin James being one of them

Sense of Right Alliance?

Why does that sound familiar...

Why does no one bother to replace the default menu graphics in their game? Shit is as easy as a couple lines of code and a PNG

Is there some kind of catastrophic consequence or is it laziness

I'm quite fond of how RM creates its menu scenes and windows.

For my commercial project, I'd likely just stick with a different system skin, even though I'm fully capable of creating a menu system from scratch.

I am still on VX but they all look kind of the same, which bugs me a lot I guess