blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SnvIMx6gJnY
youtube.com/watch?v=jMQL9BcZmGo
adweek.com/digital/google-discloses-how-search-for-google-play-works-for-the-first-time-12-percent-of-dau-search-for-apps-daily/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for mobile being the patrician platform

Is the world ready for Objective-C game development?

Danmaku breakout

1st for VOXEL GRAPGICS

Which kind of games can go into the Jam?

Games with at least one monster in them.

polygon graphics are the new meme

>make it about my father
>win a bafta

No, I mean what types. Or is it everything allowed, like Renpy, RPGMaker, etc?

new game
youtube.com/watch?v=SnvIMx6gJnY

Anything.

>no graphics
>no gameplay
BOOOOO

That's not new

""""game""""

imagine if you first met googs and he was telling you he was a game dev with so many sales and fans and games and then you actually see his games
how to even react?

politely

I worry about myself and not other e-celebrities because I'm not a faggot who gives them attention which is what allows them to thrive
PS: He's actually released and yesdevd games. Have you? Maybe that's why you're jealous?

RRPS was fun the one time I was able to play

It's better not to react too much to crazy people it can set them off. No mistake though I would know after seeing his menu simulators he calls games that he is insane.

>have lots of experience making tons of prototypes, confident I can make whatever type of game I set my mind to
>never actually made a game from start to finish

What's a simple idea that I can actually complete within 2 months? I can do meme mobile and VR so be creative! :D Thanks ideaguys.

>implying he doesn't have fans
look he even plays with them and dominates them with military tactics
youtube.com/watch?v=jMQL9BcZmGo

Before I share my ideas with some internet stranger, let's talk a little about your plans. What engine, for starters.

Take one of your prototypes and flesh it out a bit more.

>confident I can make whatever type of game I set my mind to
Prototypes are the easiest part of game dev

Make a Sonic Adventure 2 style chao garden

Reminder that if you have completed and released a videogame, Brianna Wu is objectively a better developer than you.

Phew, good thing that I haven't then.

>new feature needs to be implemented
>get anxiety. not sure how to do x y z. what if a b c happens, how should d f g behave, etc.
>take forever getting started
>painfully start working on it. hate myself
>after some hours, starts coming together nicely
>climax, working exactly as I envisioned it to be. just small tweaking and misc things to do
>resolution, its perfect. take a break, have party, etc
>look at todo list
>repeat

such is the dev life

Mobile is terrible for amateurs and indies tho, no visibility, can't tell people about your game because the average mobile player is a 12yo who doesn't even speak english, terrible controls and restrictions, mobile sucks bring back flash.

>Mobile is terrible for amateurs and indies tho, no visibility
Actually it's pretty easy to build visibility, you just need to make something people enjoy and then ask for ratings.

Like cute things. People love those.

>that
>visibility
it's just one faggot (probably you) who keeps shilling this thing on /v/ and now here

>post progress
>nobody comments on it
>shitposts about features that your game has increase

Does that mean /agdg/ noticed me after all?

>shitposts about features that your game has increase
what does this even mean

>Like cute things. People love those.
Not me. I have too much brain mass to be entertained by Blues Clues.

I bet there are thousands of colorful, cute, games with less than 10k downloads on android alone and if you're going to limit yourself to one thing for money just get a real job.

I did actually make a thread, but it's funny how you think it's just one person.

But I think it's a popular mobile. It has 100k votes. Unless you only consider popular in the line of 1mil.

Yes. To be honest I don't always know what to say about a progress post, I don't want to just comment "Nice" on every progress post.
But trust me, I do see progress posts, and I do enjoy seeing progress posts.

>I did actually make a thread, but it's funny how you think it's just one person.
>isnt just me i swear!
fuck off shill

Yeah me too. I offer critique if I can think of any, but that takes effort too

Sometime people post real garbage though.

>not liking Blues Clues
Shiggy.

Yeah, but they are usually abysmal. Anything better than Happy Pet (which isn't actually so good) is good to go.

This is why you need to ask a question with your progress, give people something specific to actually respond to.

Otherwise people will generally only comment if something is glaringly wrong with it.

>blues clues
>a show about finding clues, piecing together the puzzle, and solving problems
>not a high brain mass show

Clearly your have a small brain mass if your taste is that poor.

user, I already opened /v/ and saw Happy Street threads that I didn't make.

>you are lying
Well not like it can be proven or disproven. It's really not popular on Veeky Forums but you will have trouble proving that there is only a single person who posts about a 100k hit game.

Post game and I will give you some advice. And no, it's won't be 'it's shit'.

But there isn't a single progress post in this thread

I still think it's luck based, you can make a game like that and get no visibility because there are 54635469898943 cute games and at the end you're better off getting a real job and not gambling. I just wish there was something like newgrounds back when flash was relevant, there is still no replacement to flash when it comes to small amateur games that are risky to make because art is not great or the main gameplay is a gimmick or it's experimental, etc. Today everything must be clean and streamlined and you must have marketing and social media and this and that just to release a small free game and get people to play it not even talking about money.

Amateur game dev died a bit with the death of webgames and itch/indiedb/gamejolt's failure.

Reposting. Hopefully having a compass that points to the next dungeon appeases the people who wanted a full map for the overworld.

The very first 2hu game was just that.

that black flash in between rooms/menu screens is really bad
don't do that

How so you fight the eternal feature creep? What keeps you in line?

>I still think it's luck based
Actually I digress with this full statement (it's a bit of luck) and here's why.

If you make a cute game (keep in mind I'm saying cute because it's a popular theme, it doesn't need to be cute) and someone enjoys it, he will keep playing it. You will then make a screen pop asking if he liked it, then asking him to rate and review. If he likes the game, there is a good chance he is going to do so.

Then you add rewards for him to make friends in the game. And rewards to invite his friends to the game. If he enjoys the game, he will invite people he knows to play the game, in part for rewards in another for playing together. Not every player will add someone, but those more avid usually add like five or ten people each. Even better if it has connection with Facebook.

It does have a bit with luck, but if you make something solid that people enjoy people will share it. It's natural. And those who usually enjoy games of a theme (such as cute) usually constant look for other games, which gives even greater chance of appearance.

As someone who probably download a lot (and I mean a lot) of mobile trash, including those with little views, those games were usually 'just a single screen' or 'paint something'.

Here, one on my mobile phone: Fancy Pet. It's cute, true, but completely trash. Just a screen that you customize. And this abomination is made on Unity. Now checking, it's so bad they removed it from the store.

Okay, here is another example. Poddle Play. Trash go through a screen thing. It has less than 125 ratings. All is well in the world.

Now Monster Hotel. I got tired a bit, but it's a cute game with a bit more effort. It has almost 5k views.

Pockieland, a game with better graphs (but poor minigames) has 12k hits.

Marketing has a place, but you can build popularity by being good. I never downloaded an obscure app which was extremely fun, and look that I have epic Poodle Play on my phone.

What makes you say itch failed?

I don't think its dead completely I just think newer games that are being released as flash games aren't fulfilling what people want from free flash games. They're trying to be like full on games with graphics, stories, and tons of shit and they end up running like garbage from your browser and not even having good "free game" gameplay. Its so hard to find actually free flash games with shit like Spiral Knights and other "Free" Mobile/Small games clogging everything up.

(`・ω・´)

Same, except anxious procrastination takes like a week for every feature

Your file name angers me.

Baking normals in Blender is fucking horrendous. Possibly the only thing about it I hate.

Ok so get this.

Shitty chickens. But. They're squiggling.

Maybe its a placeholder for actual transitions?

Just another thing: hits aren't downloads. I mean hits by votes, since voting means you didn't just download then immediately uninstall it, you actually bothered to give the game some thought.

If you are wondering about downloads, here is the list:

Poodle Play:10k-50k
Monster Hotel: 100k-500k
Pockieland: 100k-500k
Happy Pet Story: 1mil-5mil
Happy Street: 1mil-5mil

I agree with that other user, the constant flashes are a bit annoying.

>tfw rotating becoming a girl was actually just placeholder for his transition into a nergo

*rotate
fuck

How do I make good music?

It is not.

does anyone know what happens on itch.io if you change your game page to use a discussion board instead of comments?

what happens to the existing comments?

Because it would be retarded to make a mobile game in 2017 as someone who isn't established himself in the mobile industry.

You have ZERO visibility and reach. There are hundreds of games released on the appstores daily. If you want to be seen you need to have a massive marketing budget.

That actually requires a lot of skill. But there are free music you can find and it isn't that difficult if you want something like 'mario paint' tier.

What can I do with her hair to make the back of her head less blank?

Wow you have no idea what you're talking about. I won't explain why though because that would risk educating you and making you even more dangerous.

there is no easy answer for this, but you generally have two paths for this kinda thing

A) you start learning music theory, learn how harmony is formed, placing chords, following chord progression, and work your way to make music

B) you learn by ear; try to replicate melodies at first to learn how others did it before you attempt at making your own stuff

it's seemingly easier to start with the latter but you may end up struggling at times to make your music convey a certain feeling and end up tinkering around for a while longer before you hit the right spot

in either case i think it's always useful to learn music theory, it helps in the long run whether or not you go down one of those paths

you could potentially learn music theory later on, perhaps it can be more understandable and easier to follow once you get some experience down the road

tl;dr: you need time, patience and skill you build over time

Because I legitimately can't come up with an idea that is simple enough to accomplish, but not braindead boring to play.
Ideaguying is the hardest part

I legitimately want to make a fun mobile game for the tablet I was gifted. I feel like there is potential I just can't come up with that solid idea.

Seconding this question.

>put instructions and controls on game page
>put instructions and controls in a readme.txt
>put instructions and controls on the main menu of the game
>someone makes a video of my game
>they keep fucking up because they didn't read the short instructions

I really have to make the first level a pure tutorial, don't I?

whats wrong with discord tho

READING TUTORIALS ARE TRASH
YOU TEACH BY SHOWING

did some digging and found some people talking about it on twitter

apparently all comments are hidden and the discussion board starts blank. i assume you can switch back to comments to restore them. sucks.

Fuck. I've been rendering 3d models to make isometric sprites but realise I've got a sorting problem since both possible sortings for this situation are bad.

Guess I'll have to break the pikeman into multiple sprites for each new hex it goes into.

This constant blinking is annoying af. Also you know what's confusing? When you have your shield up and still get hit. Why the fuck you have the shield then?

It's not just marketing, marketing helps but understanding how the search works help too. Here let me help you:

adweek.com/digital/google-discloses-how-search-for-google-play-works-for-the-first-time-12-percent-of-dau-search-for-apps-daily/

I would give you gold if you made an Animal Crossing (but not really) app.

But then Nintendo promising they will do something like that. Hopefully it won't be like that amibo game.

why the fuck would I play your game?

Screens going black between rooms is quite common in older games.

There is actually a sprite for Anubis without a shield, just wasn't in any of the demos. Might not have it in the final one either, just because it's amusing to see people who are that unfamiliar with older gaming conventions.

Why not just use the 3D models instead of making them sprites? If you have to keep them sprites, then Iso 1 is clearly better, things that appear higher on the Y axis are behind things lower on the Y axis.

How does your game honor the legacy of ET, /agdg/?

Because it's fun. :D

Its web based instead of client based.
Its not IRC.
Its not a server based voice chat program like teamspeak, mumble, or ventrilo.

I will be giving out free codes.

I imagine it's fine when you're playing normally instead of switching to the menu and going through rooms quickly.

Sucks Indeed.
That's the kind of thing they should explain when you make the game's page.

Iso sorting 1 is better. Players will be understanding if further away characters are always rendered under.

Uh, statically ordering sprites is hard, at least for me. Now imagine you'll need to animate movement between two hexes, where do you place the moving one in the order. For myself, I decided that I'll try to not make sprites that span too much over hexes that come later in the order. For example, you could make them hold their pikes up. In 3d you can still run into a similar issue. Imagine your models overlap in a way that a pike goes inside a wall or another guy.

Iso sorting 1 looks good though. That's what I think I'm doing myself: rendering rows from the furthers to nearest and for every row, columns from left to right.

Because if you don't, you won't be able to bully my game more effectively with specific and accurate criticisms.

Discord bullies devs nonstop. They doxxed Bokudev and made a fake twitter of his game and posts dumb stuff to make him look bad.
They come to /agdg/ to shitpost and post about how great their Discord is. But the truth is /agdg/ threads are actually a much nicer place than the Discord could ever hope to be.

in Iso 1 you won't see the rear spearman attack, or their spear will appear out of the fore one's chest for a moment. The spear tip's positions will be important to mark "danger" points.

>why not make it 3d?
The edge filter isn't doable in 3d.

Writing a script to split up the sprites and incorporating them into drawing pipeline will be easier than migrating to a 3d engine anyway. I knew I'd have to do something like this for multi-hex units sooner or later

>pikes poking into walls and stuff
Yeah I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

That's not about gaming conventions, just about common sense. Full-screen blinking is well known to be annoying to most people and harmful to a few. Shield are known as a means to block and parry in combat. But it's up to you. If instead of following common sense you decide to copy from some deranged Japanese, what can I say? Go for it..

How is clarent and that junji ito game going?

if you do not play my game you will die