Replacing ac compressor

Bros,

I am replacing an ac compressor. What things do I have to also do to ensure a job well done?

I think I will replace the condenser just in case metal shavings accumulated in there. Do I also need to replace the dryer? What about oil? If the new compressor comes pre-oiled, do I have to worry about oil at all.

Of course, I will also be replacing all the o-ring that I open up.

pay a professional.

O rings. I don't think I'd worry about the condenser. Replacing the dryer any time you open the system is good insurance.

I'd have it professionally charged by a shop when done, ask them to add some oil.

In addition to aforementioned dryer, I'd do the expansion valve/orifice tube while you have it open as well.

Just curious, why do I need to replace the dryer? What is wrong with the current dryer?

Not only does the desiccant inside of the dryer act to pull moisture out of the system, it also acts as a filter. When your A/C compressor failed, all those little bits and pieces of the internals ended up somewhere, and usually that's the dryer, though they can also end up on the orifice tube/expansion valve.

Hell, it's so important that most A/C compressor mfg's won't even honor a warranty it unless there's a dryer on the same receipt.

>condenser
If it's a Ford, you damn sight better worry about the condenser. The "Black Death" will contaminate the entire system, except for the evaporator (because it's so cold). The condenser can be washed out with Xylene though. If it's a Ford with the Black Death, you're supposed to change everything, including the lines, though if you're broke as fuck, the condenser can be salvaged.

Fill the condenser with Xylene, let it sit overnight. Next day, shake it up, drain it, and run some fresh Xylene through it. You'll be amazed at the amount of black shit that comes out of it.

it'a 2007 toyota tacoma

This unless you have a refrigerant recovery system.

Venting to atmosphere is a felony.

Not to mention, catching a faceful of those gases is really bad for your health.

>Venting to atmosphere is a felony
Funny I have doing this for years and cops never show up.
>catching a faceful of those gases is bad for your health
This applies to all automotive fluids.

The shop who will charge the system is going to run vacuum in there so most of the oil will be sucked out anyway.
Don't worry about oil, they will drop some new oil in there when they fill the system with refrigerant.

Yea, replace the drier.

There's no reason to pay a shop. Rent the vacuum and gauges and filler up yourself. You'll get your $400 back and spend roughly 20-40 on the recharge when a shop would run you 100-160.

A.c. work is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be. Just be sure to rent the proper equip and you're golden.

Kill yourself

I didn't know it was so expensive over there.
Here shops charge 30-40€ for a complete refill so there is really no reason to do it yourself

>felony

Bull-fucking-shit.

Do you even know what the fuck the word "felony" means? Methinks not.

No, it's illegal af.

It's just one of those acts that's treated like a victimless crime due to tragedy of the commons.

Sounds like someone been Mickey mousing his whole life. Look it up, AC license is all about the fines and rules

>This unless you have a refrigerant recovery system.
>Venting to atmosphere is a felony.

Citation needed

>fines

Sure. Absolutely correct.

>felony

Bullshit. Total and complete fucking fabrication.

It's only a crime if you get caught.

If you get caught you're either doing it in front of someone who knows it's illegal and can enforce that/will record and report it or doing it as a business.

>This applies to all automotive fluids.

Yes, but you can't breathe all other automotive fluids you dumb fuck

Still waiting on the citation that says venting refrigerant to the atmosphere is a felony.

He's confusing 134a with other refrigerants.
Venting r12 is illegal. Probably applies to r22 as well.
134a is on the shelf at wal mart so no one will care.

Can't breathe gasoline vapors eh?

>do I have to worry about oil at all.
Yes!
Holy fuck yes.

When charging an AC system, first you have to purge the air from the system with a vacuum, then AC oil is injected, then you charge the system with the specified amount of 134A refrigerant (which is supposed to require an AC license...) the specified amount you will find on the refrigeration sticker on your frame under the hood usually not too far from the high and low pressure ports.

As for the condenser, I wouldn't worry about it, but I WOULD replace all gaskets, unless you like finding a leak later.

All in all, the physical part you can do yourself... but charging the AC, I would have a professional do it, even if you're capable, you still need the AC machine, the oil, and the refrigerant.

Simply buying refrigerant at a supply store won't help you draw a vacuum before injecting the oil and refrigerant, if you don't do this, you will contaminate your refrigerant with atmo and, well, it won't work anywhere near as well as it can.

Venting R12 still isn't a felony. A felony mean getting thrown in Leavenworth Federal Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Penitentiary. You don't get thrown into a fucking penitentiary to be raped by Tyrone for venting some R12.

Examples of felonies: rape, murder, kidnapping, jury tampering, armed robbery, narcotics smuggling, gun running, venting some freon.

Oh wait, that last one kinda doesn't fit with the others.

Not as harmful as refrigerant and you don't really risk blowing a fuckton of them in your face

Ummm, not a felony. The EPA can fine you heavily though. Also a whistle blower for anyone snitching on this can make up to $10k.

So watch out.

>don't really risk blowing a fuckton of them in your face
No, you risk blowing up a fuckton of flammable vapors in your face.

Tell me your thoughts on used gearbox oil.

it's almost like different states have different definitions or classifications of felonies, what you listed would be Class 1/A felonies while copyright infringement or mail theft would be lower classed felonies, but still felonies.

Some states classify a felony as any offense which may serve jail time.

You can do jail time for misdemeanors. Even 1g of cocaine possession is still nothing more than a misdemeanor.

But hell, venting refrigerant isn't even that: it's a civil offense.

Felony > misdemeanor > civil offense

>replacing AC compression
>not deleting it to gain 1,000,000 more hektiks

Dank supercharger

Totally the same thing as refrigerant gas

Which in no way makes it any better. First rule of thumb when you're working on your car is generally "don't be a retard". That covers easily avoided shit like breathing vapours and fumes, not to mention you should really only do shit you KNOW how to do or can learn from someone. You'd think it goes without saying, but when Cletus starts nigger-rigging his firebird, anything can happen.

dark brown to black, don't smell good, hard to gauge, often full of shit and debris