/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread : >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IDKps80KsCY
store.steampowered.com/app/457140/Oxygen_Not_Included/
youtube.com/watch?v=qQNRU5UD6aM
youtube.com/watch?v=vb2wNtsPLCI
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Last time, if that thread dies before autosage, I give up.

Depends which RPGMaker you got (there's a shitload of them : 2000, VX Ace, etc...), but it's usually a good idea to familiarize yourself with it. Mostly the mapping.

And as strange as it sounds, don't actually start with your starting map, because a lot of RPG makers do the mistake of being inconsistent with their descriptions, so you have a bedroom where everything is described, and then the left of the game has no descriptions at all.

Well, fuck.

>page 9 again
Well. This is the end for /indie/.
Farewell guys, and thanks for the Oneshot recommendation, the catgirl is adorable even if the game is pretty annoying.

>a thumbnail

Darn, you noticed it.

Fuck spiders

No need to be melodramatic. We haven't had sudden deaths like this since like february, and we haven't even had to take longer breaks between threads.

/indie/ will stick around like a Moscow cockroach that refuses to die even after wading through two bags of insecticide you covered your apartment with in the hopes that it will keep them out of your bed, but it just won't.

youtube.com/watch?v=IDKps80KsCY

I dunno man, that's the second time in a row /indie/ dies early.
My spider sense is's screaming it's the end.

Old Man's Journey came out recently.
It looks like a comfy adventure game.

Portal Knights is out.

How is the game annoying? Isn't it just exploring + puzzles?

Spider sense is shit and unreliable anyway. Spiderbros flee like it's the fucking armageddon when I'm just pulling the curtains. But when they get sprayed in the face they are calm as all fuck until the effects start to kick in and things get ugly. I remember a particularly big one, it was twisting and turning as it started to get rapidly dehydrated, and tried to descend down to the floor. The whole thing only took like a minute or two, and when it died it was only inches away from reaching its goal. A huge dry ball hanging from a three meter long thread.

>Don't Starve in space.
store.steampowered.com/app/457140/Oxygen_Not_Included/

Is there any good stuff made with the Hotline Miami 2 editor?

At this point I chose the spider on instinct when seeing 2 geenrals.

Stop fucking letting the thread die

>panicking at page 8
>panicking 15 mins after last post
Calm your pants. Time-wise that's not even one fourth through the board. It gets exponentially slower towards the end.

No I meant the previous thread dying.

>It's a hybrid of a Roguelike and Star Control
>roguelike
What the FUCK.

It has absolutely nothing to do with roguelikes. Non-modal gameplay is literally the ONLY factor of Berlin Interpratation it satisfies.
>twitch gameplay
>no randomly generated galaxy nor systems
>no permadeath
>not grid-based
>no tactical challenges
>low complexity
>minimal resource management
>minimal exploration/discovery
>no ascii
>wingmen instead of single pc
>no player vs world aspect

tl;dr: STOP CALLING EVERYTHING ROGUELIKES

Well, I guess that's it then.

Fun game overall.

God fucking help me

>That title bar
>Sephiroth
Why.

Why? To have an awesome duel. It's pretty fun.

Did you finish the game yet

bump

>youtube a random boss
>it eventually says something, blocking its attack from view
>character points it out
Oh, this is a game that pulls that kind of stuff on you.

Only sometimes. There's a lot of meta humour but it's not nearly IWBTG levels of trolling. Not nearly. It's fair across the boards without many untelegraphed surprises in its challenges.

Aww, did little /indie/ die in the night again?

We're protected by that spider thing, we'll survive the night. I hope.

Got my gungeon copy
It's probably the only Devolver-published game I wanted and didn't own already so eh
Gonna give it a try later today

Also, is it wrong to be happy about STRAFE getting some shit reviews? I honestly just wish devs in general would stop using "retro"/"old school"/"hardcore" as a selling point, especially when the games they are selling are not.

You already have Dropsy, right?

Get Cheat Engine and hack Gungeon to 1.3-1.5 game speed and it's pretty good. They made it too slow to appeal to casuals.

It's how quests are organized that annoys me.
You need to go to the Tower. BUT, to go to the tower, you need to repair a rowbot. BUT to repair a rowbot, you need to reactivate a generator first. BUT to reactivate a generator, you need a battery and a camera. BUT to get a battery, you need an iron pipe that you flatten at a factory.
Once the generator is repair, you can finally talk to the rowbot. BUT you need a necklace. AND you need to remove the rust on the robot, BUT for that you need a syringue, a sponge, gloves and a bottle.

I feels like you're constantly delayed by more and more crap.
And now I'm looking for a fucking pen, and I hope I don't have to trade that beautiful feather that was given to me.

Needs a summer edition.

That game gives me cancer every time you post a screenshot.

Thanks for giving me cancer 50+ times over

Huh, first question about gungeon, do drops despawn over time? I notice you suck them in after you clear the room, but do you have to worry about picking them up during the combat?

Every dead thread is a testament to our obscurity and should be treated with honor

Damn

I mean, that's usually the pace for these types of games, but I guess it would be annoying for a first timer.
If you're still curious about what to do, you have to get some wool by doing the sheep puzzle with that shepherd guy so you can trade it for some ink. You probably know what to do with that ink.

>It's usually the pace for these types of games
Most RPGs I play are a lot more straightforward, or only use the "need to do more stuff" as comedy.

And of, now that my hands are free...

OneShot isn't an RPG though. There's no combat, no stats, no anything of the sort. I'd say it's more like a puzzle/exploration game with focus on characters and story. There's multiple games in that style, like Yume Nikki. (Survival horror games also do some of this stuff but that's not related)

I say "RPG" because I imply "games made with RPGMaker".

It's raining!

Time to play STALKER.
Or Rimworld.

Why? It's a really good game.
My only regret is I didn't realize there was a relevant general for it until I was 30+ hours in and near the end.

>Redownload RPGmaker VX Ace or whatever it's called
>Notice the website has some free games on it
>Sure why not.
>Download Crysalis
>Get to the final boss, The Divine Spirit, who wants to "remake the world"
>Took a long time, but finally managed to beat it
>After he gets his ass kicked, he asks me some questions
>Why did you abuse muh magic, you're not supposed to use it to power your machines, etc
>Tell him to fuck off, we didn't know it was bad
>God basically says "Fuck you" and gives me an insta-game over so I have to fight him all over again and pick the right choice
>mfw

M-My brain

Looks more like Space Terraria or Starbound with less furfaggotry.

Wake me up inside

>mfw The Dentist turned out to be a woman

Fucking outskilled you.

Looks more like Dwarf Fortress-like game but from different perspective
But yeah it's from Don't Starve devs

Is there anything in the game that's original assets? The playable character art at least?

No. But I don't really believe it's a big deal. The gameplay is absolutely rock fucking solid with great level design and interesting bosses. That the sprites are taken from other games shouldn't really be an issue in the least as far as I can tell. It's not like it's a story-focused game and the sidekick is Sonic but called "Cinos" or anything. It just saved a lot of animation time and allowed for this indie RPG to have 50+ hours of content with all time spent on perfecting the gameplay and adding more bosses, levels, and so on.

>indie RPG
I mean indie platformer. Very few RPG elements.

Oh, I was asking out of curiosity. If you're going with asset-borrowing might as well go the whole way...

If it's as tight as you say though, it's a real shame he didn't redo everything with a proper art.

His next game will be all original art assets. If he can make a game as good as Distorted Travesty 3 with original assets, hopefully he will finally get the recognition he deserves and more people will play DT3 which is definitely one of my favourite games now.

Is dead cell really a rouge-lite? From what i saw from watching it, the only rouge-like element it has is a random generated map

That's pretty hot.

What's that game even about? Chemtrails?

Something ancient maybe. I haven't finished it yet so maybe the title will have more significance later on.

>Stop Shizuma

Anyone tried Skylar and Plux yet?

>random map
>Metroidvania
How does this even work? Its either a god tier algorithm, very repetitive, or it doesnt let you freely explore anything like Metroid or Metroidvanias.

Looking into it

>rouge-like
It's Rogue, not rouge, you fucking dumbass.

Its to bypass the filters everyone put up against >roguelike

Ha, okay.

That's still fucking retarded but at least there's a reason for it.

Thats what i thought to when i first heard about it, i watched some gameplay but the guy never made it past the first "zone"?
Got me

In necrodancer for low % runs can you still get the pixie in zone 4?

Anyone still playing Throne?
How is your weekly going?

>Skylar and Lux is shilling eye tracking to me
Pretty neat. If Star Citizen ever properly releases I might get that and drop freetrack

I haven't played it in a while. The 4 player coop mod got a new release, in case you did not know yet.

Niko's cute.

Any good strategy game?

Battle Brothers

Strategy doesn't usually mix well with indie.
Google these :
>Veil of Crows
>Battlebrothers
>Creepers Worlds 3

And see if one interests you.

If you dont mind stealth invisible inc is good

>early impressions
gameplay is good, levels seem good, music is solid, voice acting is pretty bad, as is the story.

I'm playing Breath of Death VII.

It's scratching that Dragon Quest adventure itch but I wish it had better combat feedback. It's really old fashioned in that all the damage and turn information is displayed in the textbox instead of showing damage numbers displaying on enemies when they're hit.

I liked Cosmic Star Heroine so I'll prolly like this one too.

Just marathoned the first hour or so. I liked it a lot. The game reminds me of Jak and Daxter which was probably intentional since Skylar seems to be mute.
Platforming feels just right and the movement mechanics you unlock within the first hour are simply fun to use.
Combat is simple but not completely brain dead, and there isnt more of it than whats needed.

So far Ive only seen two items to collect besides the main story item. First are the orange crystals that act like lums, gold feathers, precursor orbs, etc., and there are thousands in each level littered everywhere forming paths or in crates.
The other collectible are kids trapped in cages which you unlock with 100 crystals each, so theres actually a point to collecting stuff. Freeing kids extends your health bar.

Music was good but not incredibly memorable.
I thought the voice acting was pretty good. The actual lines are cheesy but sound better if you disable subtitles and hear the actors perform it first instead of reading it in your head.

Regalia Of Men and Monarchs

He said strategy, not boring crap.

Let me know how it turns out if you try it.

>twitch gameplay
That's one way to get blown up, sure. You do much better with a methodical approach, drawing off enemies or finding ways to make them fight. But dashing around like an idiot will get you slagged by a lightning cannon.

>no randomly generated galaxy nor systems
Are you an idiot?

>no permadeath
Are you an idiot?

>no tactical challenges
See above.

>low complexity
More complex than quite a few other RPGs.

>minimal resource management
Cargo space and speed, credits, fuel, what weapons you want equipped, power. There's a lot of tradeoffs.

>minimal exploration/discovery
Each system is randomly generated, and system maps are limited resources. Each planet could be a friendly station or an enemy station, and the only way to find out is to go take a look.

>wingmen instead of single pc
Guess Rogue isn't a roguelike, what with the pets and all.

>no player vs world aspect
Almost everything is trying to kill you. I don't understand your complaint.

Long story short, try actually taking a look at the game before having a kneejerk sperg attack.

It is a decent jrpg but flawed for sure. Has some nice ideas like being able to grind out a place to get no more random encounters and being able to summon encounters at will after that.

Two new games just got released.

A Hole New World
An old style Metroidvania
youtube.com/watch?v=qQNRU5UD6aM

and Nongünz
An action platformer rogue-lite.
youtube.com/watch?v=vb2wNtsPLCI

A Hole New World looks good but seeing that it's from kickstarter makes me pause a little.

Nothing bad with kickstarter if the game released.

Mighty No. 9 begs to disagree with you.

To me it just means there's a moderate chance the developer's vision was compromised or bankrupt from the start. For example one of the rewards for "A Hole New World" is having the backer be in the game as an NPC. That's not an immediate game over (Hollow Knight and Undertale both did something similar and they ended up good) but it does show me that the devs are changing their game based just on people paying them money which isn't something that gives me hope for the game in general being good. Obviously not judging a game I haven't played, I'm just pausing.

That is one game with one of the most overhyped crowdfunding campaigns ever.

Is Starbound good now?

Most kickstarters use rewards not for additional content but a way to make people back the lower amount. Then it spreads as news again if the kickstarter reaches its goal whcih was set way too low and then hope to get more people funding from the hype.