So was this movie "accurate" in terms of portraying Christian theology regarding the Devil how he operates...

So was this movie "accurate" in terms of portraying Christian theology regarding the Devil how he operates? The director claimed that he spent 5 years researching Christian folklore while writing the script, including reading the Geneva bible cover-to-cover multiple times. Keep in mind, I've never actually seen the movie, but I've read enough spoiler reviews to basically know what happens. If for some reason you care about spoilers for this movie, you should probably stop reading now.

Okay, so basically this Christian family gets excommunicated and they have to go live in the woods to atone for it. At some point, their kids start disappearing and they suspect witchcraft is involved. Some more weird stuff happens and eventually the family's pet goat kills the father. The father doesn't fight back because he feels that it is God is punishing him for his sins, but it turns out that the Goat is actually the Devil. As in, the Goat itself is the Devil.

When everybody else is dead, the oldest daughter surrenders herself over to the Devil to become a witch. Does this story mesh well with Christian theology? I'm just curious because in the trailer I saw, they claim they recreated everything perfectly.

I don't want you to think our board is slow or uninterested but nobody is gonna reply to this thread because nobody has ever heard of what the fuck movie you're talking about.

The movie is basically worst case scenario for a puritan family.
The dad's religious convictions were pretty accurate, at least i thought so. Especially in the scenes when he is discussing predestination with his son.
I would say it meshes pretty well

I am a girl and I just watched this movie and I would like to live deliciously. Do I need to buy a black pet goat so it can kill my parents for me?

ive watched it. its quite popular actually.

yes it is pretty accurate. im a Calvinist like the puritans so i would know

>So was this movie "accurate" in terms of portraying Christian theology regarding the Devil how he operates?

It was pretty darn accurate in terms of portraying how witchcraft was believed to operate within that particular time period and religious/social construct, yes.

I've watched it twice. I liked it quite a bit.

>theology
I'd have to rewatch it to pick up on the theology. what it portrays doesn't seem to conflict with what I know of puritan thought, though.

what piqued me about it was that it was an accurate portrayal of folk beliefs in witchcraft...although it was about 100 years anachronistic and on the wrong continent.

what's portrayed of the witch would make more sense in 1400s HRE, although I guess it's feasible English puritans would have similar notions of witches.

>although it was about 100 years anachronistic and on the wrong continent.
What about the Salem Witch Trials

That's what happens when you defy the church and therefore god. You get evil goats and bad crops.

Don't know about the differing witch portrayals but most of the witch hunts occurred in the age of enlightenment.

Why use the word "Christian" if you are going to refer to the protestant mythology? Just say protestants the next time and save us catholics from wasting our time reading fictional threads.

I made this shitty thread like two days ago, how is it still alive?

yes, it accurately depicts the mindset of belonging to an apocalyptic death cult

>most of the witch hunts occurred in the age of enlightenment.

Ironic

>most of the witch hunts occurred in the age of enlightenment.
What? No they didn't. Most of the witch trials took place in the 16th or 17th centuries, while the age of enlightenment was the 18th century.

I only have one question

where was God?

how did witches end up in the woods?

God knows where he isn't wanted. William wanted Pride, not God.

Just saw it today, it was really accurate. Yea it meshes well with Christian theology, moreso for the time than modern Christian theology but it's an excellent portrayal of the attitudes of the time

>where was God?
in his home - Poland

>I've never actually seen the movie, but I've read enough spoiler reviews to basically know what happens
it's a good film and it's a short film. watch it

I watched it with a group and the consensus was that it was likely corn rot that brought about sickness and insanity. To the extremely religious puritan family this manifested as delusions of the devil.

black evil is clouding your mind my man

It "meshes with christianity" in that the devil is real, he is active, can assume different forms, and does cause demons to possess people and ruin their lives.

Ergot doesn't just give you mild hallucinations, it causing an excruciating burning sensation all over your body and makes you violently convulse, as well as hallucinate. None of the characters really exhibit any of the symptoms of Ergotism except for the son on his deathbed.

People who love lies don't care about reality. He wants to pretend that evil does not exist. He's a child with his binkie over his head.

I wonder how many people went to the cinema and asked for "two tickets for the vuhvitch pleae"?

>protestantism

2/10