Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

Latest SteelZeroes Demo! mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27
Tomb of Friends demo: pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo
The Long Road demo: gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740

/rpgmg/ Discord: discord.gg/CPvWzJK

Chain Game: Chapter 2
dropbox.com/s/0pn5b7e29gdrz1y/CollabProj-2.zip?dl=0
Chapter 3 in progress | Gemini

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IR9y6vco-VQ&list=PLMcr1s5MjsiTky6KB4ML-q_QoBE_ZYJk5
pastebin.com/2bJ8wBsz
youtu.be/TDLTPWwvG9g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm bored.

>generic pathfinding/route assignments for any spawn point
>generic spawn functions so that new enemies can easily be created
>aoe from mages and swordsmen
Next major goal would be adding the resource system.

>dying with zero posts

sleeping soon. don't die at literally three posts.

I guess I'll give it a bump with a question.
Basically I'm testing having a set of armor and weapons equipped via javascrip for a passive.

This is basically what I have down and I tested it with an event.
if $gameActors.actor(1).hasArmor($dataArmors[118]) && $gameActors.actor(1).hasWeapon($dataWeapons[1]) {
$gameActors.actor(1).setCharacterImag
('TestA', 0);
$gamePlayer.refresh();
} else {
$gameActors.actor(1).setCharacterImage('TestB', 0);
$gamePlayer.refresh();
}

The problem with this is that nothing happens. It will turn into the TestA charset regardless if it meets the conditions.
Now if I do it indivually by typing it like this
if ($gameActors.actor(1).hasArmor($dataArmors[118]))
It works perfetically. However trying to write it like this
($gameActors.actor(1).hasArmor($dataArmors[118]) && $gameActors.actor(1).hasWeapon($dataWeapons[1]))
Or any similar variant causes errors.
What did I do wrong?

goddamn that thread did not last long

this one won't either

We need to combine our bump power

Wow, that tower defense game is cool!
Btw, Rn I finished mapping the base for my first dungeon and will be adding details on the map like trees and flowers etc.

If those syntax errors aren't just from pasting into Veeky Forums improperly,

1. your if statement's conditional needs to be enclosed by ( ).

wrong:
>if something && somethingElse {doStuff}
right:
>if (something && somethingElse) {doStuff}

2. the .setCharacterImage function call is botched, because it's missing the e at the end of "setCharacterImage"

But apart from those syntax errors, if .hasArmor() and .hasWeapon() truly do give you answers of "does this actor have the given equipment piece equipped?" and not "does this actor have the given equipment piece in the item inventory?", then it appears to be perfectly fine.

Yeah, I got help with that. Now I'm making good progress. The only bad thing is that the var function isn't working but that's a very minor setback. I'll see if I can post progress l8er

I'm curious on what characters the Sense of Right alliance guy has made for his playable team.
Anymore new details to share?

Good night bump

How long is your game going to be?

This looks silly but also kinda neat.
Do you have a demo planned?

aiming for ~90 hours with full voice acting

You're never going to make a game, are you.

Just starting out, so maybe about an hour or two, that's reasonable right?

If you're just starting out 'finished' is more important than long.

When mapping something like a town, should I leave empty areas in case there is something I might want to add later on?

I'd argue that you could always make the town bigger later, but my advice is that you leave enough space that if you need to make a 'filler' house bigger, you can, and then just add whatever you need inside of it.

Other advice: save a copy of the town when you first make it, in case you want to rollback.

Reminder to make back ups user
You don't want to lose everything due to shenanigans

Two digital minimum.

You should back up your writing in some sort of solid form, if possible. Paying to print out sheets of dialogue/coding is cheap; replicating it from the mind is hard.

Is Gubid's documentation down? I have an error trying to access it

Tutorials should be as short as they can while conveying the necessary information, right?

yes. try not to infodump them too hard. after a certain point, people will just start skipping those essays.

Good. My first game's rather simple; the most 'thinky' part is probably going to be that the player has a technique that does normal attack damage under most circumstances (making it a waste of TP, most of the time), but at certain points (usually cued), it'll attack a weakpoint for massive damage.

unfortunately, i'm still really early into it. if i'm going to make this an actual career, though, i had better be done with this game within a month or so.

You working full time while you're working on it? Because a month is a pretty short timeline if you have a full time job as well.

yeah, a month is very short, even without a job, desu. it's my last summer vacation. gotta prove i don't need to join the workforce.

i have a nagging feeling i'm going to want to strip away the potential plot i have in store for this, and just ship it as a primarily gameplay experience.

Well, good luck.

bump

I won't allow you to commit suicide

Work on your game

So I am currently working on developing an educational game. I have toyed around with MV a bit with moderate success. I am way out of my depth, however.

I have no experience in this field, and desperately need some help. Can anyone point me in a direction of things to read/watch that will set me on the right course?

I didn't personally use this series to learn MV, but I did learn from his scripting series, and I found him to be okay.
youtube.com/watch?v=IR9y6vco-VQ&list=PLMcr1s5MjsiTky6KB4ML-q_QoBE_ZYJk5

If you have a more specific question, feel free to ask. We need the bumps.

New Art Resource pastebin
pastebin.com/2bJ8wBsz

Rescued link, since the last 2 OP didn't care enough the change anything.

Pick a target level of knowledge, and stick with it. Assuming too much knowledge of the reader can be bad, but assuming too little can lead to distracting tangents that teach nothing to the reader, and make the main point harder to follow.

>video covering the most basic and intuitive functions
If you're that retarded maybe take another step back and have someone explain what an RPG is.

Do you need help programming an rpg or designing an educational game that fits an rpg concept?

Ya I actually did watch this series and it was helpful but god is his voice annoying.

I'm having trouble with the battle system (which is the main source of learning in the game thus far). right now im limited to multiple choice questions, due to lack of skill in the program, but I would also like to add interactive images like.:

>The femur is the weak spot of the skeleton
>target it to kill it.

and generally more complex questions like putting stuff in the right order etc.

down the line im also looking at having the player solve puzzles in a limited amount of time prior to using certain schools of magic/attacks. like, if you want to use a potion you need to identify a random element for it to be successful. or if you use specific fields of magic you need to solve a maths question or identify parts of speech.

Right now I dont even know how much of this is possible

I'm a student teacher, looking to continue my studies in curriculum development next year.

I became interested in the concept of gamification and see a lot of potential for it in the field of education. I have a pretty solid idea of the elements i want for the game, and im designing it in a way which complements classroom activities. its the damned programming that has me stumped. I know its an ambitious endeavour, but ive already developed a lot of non-tech strategies that i will be testing later this year during my practical.

So ya, I am trying to figure out where/what i need to learn in order to realise my dream

incorporating puzzles into the default battle system would be difficult, because it'd involve lots of scripting.

so if you want to add regular puzzle solving, you should add them to things done on the field map.
crafting gear
buying items
upgrading stats
unlocking areas
opening chests
interacting with things in general

It would be better for you to start learning javascript then. To do what you describe you would need to increase the enemy number limit as well as making it so enemy names aren't displayed in the battle engine, both of them feasible with some javascript knowledge.

Building test and stuff.

Wewlad.
Finally got done with a small part of the armor changing system. It's a lot more manageable doing it via passive states and javascript than it is with common events. Plus now I can add the change equip command so you can change weapons and shield only during battle and I'll show up on the character.

Sorry for the bad quality of the webm.

practically nier automata.

There better be some DEUS VULT in your game

bmp

Whoa, looks cool.
How does it play?

Well, about that...

What's your main inspiration?

PROGRESS
Finally started working on gaem; it's a monster collecting SMT-like
I'm testing the waters for a system that lets the player choose different skins for their monster; webm related.

Nice.

Here's progress for today!
The cutscene where the big bad is introduced.

youtu.be/TDLTPWwvG9g

That style is so cute. I hope you actually make a demo out of this

I've reached a dilemma. My game has reached a point where lower-tier skills and basic attacking do no damage to strong enemies. I don't want that. I want such attacks to at least do some damage, enough to not become completely obsolete after a certain point in the game. I've considered a few solutions:
>Remove the DEF and MDF parts of damage formulas, ensuring attacks always deal some damage
Then those stats are useless, and enemies will have to have large HP to compensate
>Have enemies use physical and magical resistances (like elements) rather than relying on DEF and MDF stats
That would make balancing considerably more difficult, and it would dampen the range of a skill's viability in battle compared to simply relying on stats
>Add a constant to a skill's damage, with the user and target's stats added afterward
The problem there is that certain skills would become OP. Plus if I wanted an enemy to have really strong defenses, such skills could still deal considerable damage.

Is there some sort of magical math I could use instead that would avert all the above qualms? I'm at my wit's end here.

The overworld graphics are placeholder; only the monster sprite is finalized.

Still tho, thanks.

I didn't fall asleep midday. What?

Try adding an armor stat and have skills that deal (a.atk / b.def) - b.armor.

So... what's your actual damage calculation?

For MV

Should I have leveling up for the main character if he's supposed to have zero potential? Should he get something for leveling up or is it fine if he gets literally nothing?

I guess if levels did something outside of battle I'd consider having it anyway, but not sure what.

Also side question: How do people have stats at 0 instead of 1 as a minimum?

It depends on what you are trying to do. The reason to have Exp and levels is to avoid having escape as the overall best strategical option in the game. The best alternative to that is adding really fucking great loot, but that still feels like you are guiding the player to grow stronger, but now with a random factor. You could disable escape, but then players would still be greatly motivated to avoid all encounters.

And that might be desirable if you are going for a Thief stealth approach or a short comedy game about a really cowardly character. But is that what you are going for?

sounds funny when you think of it as "how the fuck do i stop players from just running away from every single battle?"

if it's the old atk - def/2 formula, then that means your enemies just started getting really heavy defense. why did that happen?

Wow, that's pretty spiffy. I can see that there's only one set of movement animations regardless of equipment type, but at least there's no clipping.

What kind of combat is this?

>upgrade lower-tier skills to deal status ailments
>Make lower-tier skills apply a debuff that increases the damage of skills from the same ability school
>Make stat-reliant constant damage that only becomes relevant at high levels.
things like (p.level/50)% of p.maxhp, or max(atk formula(atk), better formula(atk-100)).

After listening to the General Podcast, I was toying with the idea of a useless main character that only gets by because of items. Surely you'd have no chance against the boss if you don't bother to get enough loot to grenade him to death, right?

I played a game like that. member2 was the strongest character and your main dps, member3 was just "alright", and the mc was pathetic and struggled even just to use healing items. Attack items were "alright" tier but expensive.

I would use levels as currency for making attack items, then. Perhaps the main benefit of this over money is that items "purchased" this way can be done from the player menu or save points rather than at shops.

loot requirements are really annoying since RNG can be such a bitch. Make sure that either there is a 90-100% drop that can be traded in large quantities for the rarer drop, or that rarer drops can appear in stores.

So far I'm going to be using the sideview battlesystem.
However I tried to spice it up. I'll be using the row plugin so you're PC can hire mercenaries to fight for him and have him stand in the back away from the action if you'd like. Basically I'm aiming for a more stat based system where you can build the character you want.

There's also a sorta action point system where you can do multiple actions per turn. Different weapons and skills consume different amount of AP. Larger weapons for example consume an additional one AP per action while smaller weapons don't. Any reminding AP can be used to increase evasion rate, blocking rate or interception rate depending on equipment.

Combat wise you have a Weapon Strength number which is what your weapon uses and a raw strength number which is divided in half if you're using a weapon. Being unarmed uses that instead of weapon strength.
Armors have four defensive stats. Defense against slash/chop/pierce/blunt attacks and damage reduction value. When you attack your weapon damage plus any armor piercing value and a number between 1-10 goes up against the armor's defense value depending on the attack. If you score a higher number than the defense value you bypass the armor and the enemy takes the full brunt of the attack however if the defense value is greater than the attack value than the attack gets subtracted from the damage reduction number. Basically it's a way to have a low HP RPG and have your equipment be very important. Some weapons will work better against lightly armored and unarmored opponents and others against armored opponents. You also can attack the armor directly in order to reduce its defensive values.
There's also shields which have the potential to block an attack and negate all damage.
Spears can intercept attacks an counterattack.
Right now I'm trying to get all the technical stuff out of the way but once that's done I'll be looking more into the battles. Might release a battle demo

wait, you're the one who was asking about different weapon types a while back, right? This looks neat, do you/the game have a name to keep tabs on?

I seriously hope your big bad has an elite four/four generals.

they're all generics atm

Levels as currency? Maybe exp as currency but I have no idea how levels should be a currency when exp requirements generally make them fluctuate in value.

And of course I'd make guaranteed or boosted loot drops a thing for this sort of game. There's no way I'd let RNG have its way after all the roguelikes I've been through.

both work. Nothing wrong with exp as a flat currency, but levels discourage carrying a big "wallet" of money so you spend more. Or you can lock certain purchasable/usable items at level requirements.

Eh, not at the moment. But I'll keep this thread updated.

He has 3 instead.

EMERGENCY BUMP

Well shit, oniichan! That looks fancy.

Witch reminds me - is Kadokawa gonna have an official DIAGONAL sprites and tiles release/expansion? I thought I saw some screenshots.
Or is it better to bite the bullet and just plug-the-fuck-up.

bump

How hard is it to port over code from older rpg makers to MV?

If you are talking about scripts/plugins then very.

Good night bump

Bump

How should one go about adding a talent tree to the game?

Can someone here recommend some rpg maker games that are adventure/puzzle games without combat or leveling? I need some inspiration

i'm up, but i didn't want to be.

The easy, non-scripting way is to create a map that's your "talent tree menu". Then have events that correspond to nodes that you activate to unlock talents.

Talking to those events would perhaps give you the talent description, and the requirements to unlocking them.

Have you played Yume Nikki?

OneShot is excellent in that regard

No desu, but I've heard of it.
I will try that out aswell.

Thanks for suggestions.

bump

Great cinematography, desu

>made the spawn functions more sophisticated so that it's possible to control them more specifically
>added bards, which generate resources passively and buff nearby units' damage
going to try to start balancing units for the tutorial levels now that everything's implemented (combat-wise)

bump

Are you working hard user?

nobody knew balancing could be so complicated