Drum brakes

Why do we still use this shitty outdated braking mechanism?

Could one person who likes drum brakes give me a legitimate reason why they are used other than
>they're cheaper to manufacture

They're cheap
Usually only on the rear and most cars that have them are front wheel drive shitboxes so little braking power is needed in the back

They're cheaper to manufacture.

They the shoes tend to last longer than pads so they require less frequent replacement.

>cheaper to manufacture
Not sure if they are, but if it's true, that still matters.

they're totally fine for the purpose. discs would be useless on the rear of an a-segment car.

I saw in a thread awhile back that commercial trucks were having issues with mud in rear calipers at job sites so prefer rear drums.

Idk other than that I think everything should be disc

Not cheaper to manufacture, but cheaper to install on a car with cable e-brake

Which is why theyre only found on rear brakes of shitboxes

>>they're cheaper to manufacture
Are they tho?They seem to have more moving parts.

I don't know cars that still use them except the cheapest of shitboxes.

Just did my aunt's drum brakes on her old Civic.

It had 220k on it and it's the first time the rear drums were done. They last for fucking ever while the ceramic discs on my accord don't even last a year or 20k miles.

They work a lot better than disc brakes. Generally better for medium to heavy duty truck applications in the rear. More effective for the work those trucks endure. As for civilian econoboxes it's just the manufacturer cheaping out.

Because they're factory equipment on my '66 Imperial. These ones are enlarged and do an adequate job stopping my large sedan without issue.

>FWD so little braking power is needed

Fucking retard, think about this for a second please.

Better handbrake/ E brake.

They're only cheaper because manufacturers built them for a billion years and have only built disk brakes for like 15-20 years for the most part. Disk brakes SHOULD be cheaper.

Did you read the post fucking tard, on the rear of a fwd where the car needs the brake power least.

If there were no drum brakes, how would commercial drivers pass the part of the pre-trip inspection for their driving exam where they have to check the slack adjusters?

They're like leaf springs. Durable, cheap, require less maintenance, and are easier to lock. And all the moving parts are INSIDE THE DRUM.

Handbrakes are commonly drum brakes, so they're completely independent from the main brakes.

Do you know how to read?
Proper human being read the whole sentence you dumb fuck

Toyota uses combined drum-disc brakes on the rear. Drum for parking, disc or driving.

Where is your god now?

Nowhere because 99% of people with automatics rely on their transmission to be the parking brake.

For off-road usage, they're far superior for obvious reasons.

Not so much for anything else. Do they actually still put them on new cars?

That's funny, because the rear disks on my Integra last fucking forever and that's even with track days thrown in.

This looks so autistic

The main reason is they require no maintenance for the entire warranty period.

Crown vics had them for parking brakes

thats not true at all. once mud is inside it wears out fast as fuck, its more abrasive than the normal brake dust
pic related, needed replacement

Trucks have them... Used to. Now most have gone disc. But Drums They last a lot longer. Toyota has Always had them on hilux & tacomas

Cheaper to manufacture
Better protection from stuff like rocks, pebbles and whatnot. Getting mud in them is a tad shit tho

Still; manufacture-cost is mostly the reason why. The reason why it has been common to have disks front and drums on the rear for so long is that the there is a lot less stress and wear on the rear brakes, and as such drums make sense

Disc brakes have been common for like... 50 years now

Even my 1987 moped had a front disc brake

What trucks are these, american ones?
Isuzu D-Max, VW Amarok, Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200, Ford Ranger (Euro), Nissan Navara, the most common pickups found in Europe, all still use drum rears

keked

Aren't all parking brakes this or locking disc?

If by locking disc you mean pic related then yes; those are the only two systems that are really used, unless I am mistaken

How are they superior off road? Drums sucked shit off road on my dirt bikes. Once they got wet or mud filled it was like having no brakes at all because the drums couldn't shed the water and mud. Whereas discs always worked great.

they last for fuckin ever.

Handbrake mechanism is cheap, easy, effective and reliable.
(that's why they are always on the back only)

Pic related was a common alternative for handbrakes on a disc rear end for a loooooong time.
>a drum within a disc

>require less maintenance
I'd argue against that. They require adjusting every service to keep a consistent braking force, the wheel cylinders end up leaking way more often than most calipers, and if they're on a solid axle then a leaking axle seal will fuck them up. Also, good luck getting a drum off if it has a big lip worn on the inside edge of it - backing off the adjuster can sometimes be an absolute pain.

Although brake pads require more frequent changes, the average handyman can change the pads and disk himself with a few tools and a youtube tutorial. Replacing the shit on a drum brake is much easier to fuck up and requires a bit more hands-on car experience and knowledge to do.

This is the most common form of handbrake though.

Chevy found circa 2005 or so that their trucks with disc brakes all around took longer to stop than their trucks with rear drums.

internal drum the best
fuck double acting pistons that work with the brake pedal and the hand brake cable