because they dumb

Its the fast lane, duh!

>why do americans do this

Ftfy

>why do yuros do this

youtube.com/watch?v=S9I_baJWbck

Self-righteousness from the double nickel days

Because one dumbass who drive slow and ruined it for everyone

Drivers education in the United States is a fucking shitshow. A lot of licensed drivers don't even know to not cruise in the passing langes

Because many states don't have laws against it. Where I live I could cruise in the left lane going 5mph under the speed limit all day if I was that stupid.

Just because it isn't illegal doesn't mean it isn't a bad driving practice

Because in the long run the left lane is usually moving faster

Because the right hand lane is the real passing lane and for showing everyone in the left lane who's really the fast boss

It drastically reduces lane changes assuming you're driving faster than the traffic in the right lanes because you're not dodging in and out of the middle/curb lane to go around people and either cut someone off who's speeding much faster than you when you get out to pass again or have to brake at every other car you approach to let what would be faster (read: speeding) traffic pass you.

>implying you can't stay there to pass multiple vehicles if you're doing it at an acceptable pace

This also gets much of the traffic out of the curb lane and leaves slower traffic in them making merging much safer and easier. Expecting speeding cars to move over to let traffic in because they're driving too fast or too closely to other people also results in even more heavily speeding drivers being cut off and leads to a lot of near misses and accidents where I live.

All this is ignoring the fact that you are not entitled to ever exceed the speed limit despite common road practices. Arbitrarily raising speed limits without redesigning the highway to compensate makes merging much more dangerous and encourages pacing because now everyone's comfortable doing the same speed and they can't all reasonably and safely fit in the curb lane.

This is ignoring needing to reasonably access left lane exits and places where the curb lane is full of potholes and/or filled with tire-popping debris and trucks in the curb lane that launch deadly projectiles into cars behind them which people should avoid for safety reasons. I never get upset when people do this because they're often just trying to get to their destination alive believe it or not

The idea of a passing lane is actually horribly unsafe. The idea of a fast lane is not, but people drive slow in it and ruin it for everyone

>BUT THE LAWS DUH LAW!
>get passed on the right by a fucking cop

Please don't bring Veeky Forums memmes to Veeky Forums

Cops ignore all laws here, so does ambulance and fire trucks when there's no sirens going.

Rolling stops, using the curb as turning lanes, illegal turns, 20kph over the limit etc. They won't give a shit if you do the exact same things behind them but never pass them. Everyone else here does the same shit anyways.

That's because the law is actually fucking retarded and made up by concerned mothers who don't drive everyday

They even tolerate motorcycle lane splitting her as long as you don't do it in moving traffic.

It only exists for grumpy old men to harass kids in japanese sportscars and black people to "put them in their place"

The amount of Veeky Forums posters on Veeky Forums is astonishing, one time I managed to derail a thread about discontinued foods into a discussion about classic cars and turbo hondas

I've even seen cummy on there forgetting to turn his trip off

Fucking thank you. I thought I was the only one who thought this. If America could properly design a fucking highway and get some of it's laws in order then it wouldn't be too hard to implement a "speed by lane" system

Anything with three lanes is an automatic speed by lane system.

Middle lane: 60
Left: No limit. Speed RECOMMENDATION middle lane+10. Police instructed to enforce due caution and treat slow traffic with prejudice.
Right lane: 55. You must yield to all merging traffic by law. Expected to flow at speed as low as 45. This also solves the short/uphill on-ramp+shitbox/truck problem.

This is the ideal system. If all lanes are at equal speeds, simple manuevers like lane changes become dangerous dances of speed and following distance adjustments and waiting for somebody to let you though, which causes traffic jams.

>2017
>Veeky Forums doesn't aggressively weave through traffic to assert dominance

Maybe its a California thing, but my GF from Boston is terrified of driving here. Also why does the East Coast have such terrible speed limits coupled with draconian highway patrol, here the CHP barely gives two fucks unless you're going 100+ mph.

>here the CHP barely gives two fucks unless you're going 100+ mph.
This.
I go 25+ above regularly in my daily, but admittedly, everyone else is going at least 10-20 over as well. In my fun car I'll take it up to 100mph regularly, 120mph commonly, and even higher rarely.
No tickets in 20 years.

I sometimes wonder if any of your autists actually drive. It's impossible to tell what the fuck is happening in the picture, Some freeways merge right onto a new freeway, it's common especially in CA. Maybe that line of cars is actually merging and they're fucking stuck there.

>Boston
That's why
t. New York

This

there's a fork in the road, the left side is backed up due to traffic

>using the curb as turning lanes
what is the issue with this?

i think there was a strawpoll awhile ago and the result was 90% of Veeky Forums doesn't even own a car

>driving in the fast/passing lane (USA)
>stuck behind an old white fatshit boomer with custom vanity plates going the speed limit
>he's driving a new-model AMG SLK
Is this a boomer thing? Or a Mercedes driver thing?

He means the shoulder. Where I live there are no turning lanes on our country roads where everyone is doing 100km/h+ so people either do that or drive into the oncoming lane to turn left if they can to avoid a pileup accident because people can't stop in time.

Left exits.

>left-hand entrances
Whoever had the idea for this and then actually went through with it should be shot

Does anyone want to help me find and kill this autistic fucking nigger who probably gets in the left lane on 2 lane roads then stays exactly next to the car to their right exclusively to play traffic cop?

It's an offence in most places on North America because that falls under "Impedeing Traffic Flow". Usually you can knock you speed back a little bit to make a gap whether you're in the left or right lane and impatient faggots can go around you

Both. I flipped off some pseudo-aristocratic boomer bitch in a GLS that thought she was too good to signal she was turning while I was waiting at a stop sign. Both demographics are honestly the cancer killing the road

I block faggots from reentering when they leave the left lane to pass and try to immediately get back in in front of me so that they are now one car ahead in a low speed flow. I just accelerate and eat up the space in front of me and watch them shit themselves with anger as they fall back in line behind me.

I'm not going to give you my space cushion because you feel the need to make unnecessary lane changes to get there a half a second faster. Learn to chill the fuck out and drive, you're already going fucking 80.

Amen, brothers. I do a easy 100 every day on my commute to work on my motorcycle. I've never been pulled over. I commute on the 405 and never see speed traps either. I think you need to be an idiot to get pulled over.

>I commute on the 405
My condolences.

the exit is in that lane you stupid motherfucker

>left lane exits

I fucking hate this.

No shit, fuck that noise.
I work from home.

Florida has spots like this, I think it's on the turnpike iirc. Rest stops are in the middle of the highway, allowing them to serve both directions of traffic... but also means you have to merge back into the left lane with tractor trailers doing 80. It sucks.