/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Competiton
angband.oook.cz comp #205 is a half-orc priest in the latest experimental version of vanilla Angband (Now 100% less poz!)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

>FAQ and What to Play:

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous thread: (embed)

ELONA

well this was either really lucky or really unlucky
wat do, /rlg/?

monstergirl sheet update WHEN

Haste, kill the Hoard, if he teles away clean the room.

get ye to a killhole and punch $s until the $s stop dropping $
or if your wrists are too limp and elven to fight 100 creeping adamantite coins in a row, kill a bunch and then run away

yeah polymorph can permanently reduce your stats so it's not a good idea to spam it until lategame when you have plenty of them stockpiled

holy shit lol
im not even mad

Ugh, friendo, I believe your casting stat got reduced to non working level, time to Q yourself.

shitty casting stat is bad but he's a chaos-warrior so he can still punch at least

n-nani?!? is that possible? Why can't I just continue on brute melee?

You can make any pet work, honestly. Minotaur Boxers are amazing, especially (funnily enough) with a big ranged weapon. I like having a giant or two with ranged characters since they get 200 life stat, as meat-shields. If you're melee you can mix as you please, really.

as long as you get the stats back you're okay, but if you fell to like sub-11 in every stat trying to get beastman back, that would be Q worthy

Any tips of leveling them up? My shitty low level pets can hardly keep up. And is there a way to gear them in a non tedious way?

Why the fuck am I only able to ascend humans in DCSS? Aren't they supposed to be average as fuck?

Humans are very branchable and can do pretty much anything, especially if it doesn't need more than skill level 14 or so.

But surely you can ascend the easy-mode species, right?

Not really, you need a lot of resources to make pets keep with you, you are better off acquiring new pets as you proceed with dungeonering.

Raising pets is all about keeping them in cash, honestly. The more money and blessed potions of potential you're able to keep them in the stronger they'll be - herbed food makes a huge difference, too.

The ideal (ìdeal, not mandatory!) way is to pick up farming, use gem seeds to get ore and fuse them into tablets since pets get far, far more money than you do selling them while farming herbs to feed them herbed food. A more casual way that's still usually sufficient is to let them pick up the cash reward you get out of dungeon boss chests, level up a magic shop to ~150+ and give them a few potential potions.

Gear is usually easy for me - I give them the guaranteed artifacts/the ones I don't need or get replacements for. Rankis, Blood Moon, Gloves of Vesta, Palmia Pride - you get the picture. You can even join a god and quit them if you want a particular piece of god gear.

I tried ascending a high elf once. Never could go farther than Vaults.
I don't know if those were considered easy.

Then again, I used to insist making them pure archers...

I should mention that this user is probably right - I just tend to get attached, and find it a fun 'minigame' to keep pets up and strong. There's some very real actual merit to raising a strong pet from a low start, though, due to the AP system which looks to base starting speed for points reward.

confirmation bias
how many attempts have you made to do minotaur or whatever

I once ascended an octopode and a deep elf.

...That's it. Everything else were humans.

do you always use spells

Well, High Elves are only a little bit easier than Humans, who are considered truly moderate (if not moderately easy) race.

The melee-oriented races like Minotaurs, Hill Orcs, Merfolk, Trolls, and Ghouls are generally pretty easy.

All you have to do is specialize your skills, and you'll generally do well with them.

also, if you like arching, try Centaurs -- good at all ranged combat, but especially good with Bows

Who doesn't? Not always offensive ones, but at least two or three supportive ones.
I've never tried a Ghoul. I'll play as one next time.
I'll try this as well. Thank you all.

I guess I thought I'd survive the one swing while I was casting snakes

sweet

well it sortof mostly worked then? what were you before? was it my beastman chaos knight suggestion, or demon patron birth mutation beastman of some other class?

I wasn't the user who initially asked about fun class/race combos, but I did take your recommendation to run a chaos-knight beastman. it was going great until Khaine turned me into a dark elf, so I polymorphed a couple times and turned into a Beastman again.
I feel like aside from that, i've been really lucky with positive mutations. I've only played beastman a couple times before and got a mix of bad and good, but this run has been all beneficial muts.
pic related.

beastman wildtalent is where it's really at my man

I don't really think think this could work.
Vampires need to hit things to eat.

also dyna doesn't stop me from hitting stuff if you're a pacifist which means that I'm one fatfingering away from burning a perfect conduct from here to the astral plane.

Also pacifist is really fucking boring

Hey /rlg/, we have 2 slots left on Makhbats Outta Hell.
If you think you can get a 3 rune and a 15 rune, a two-streak, or a 3 rune and a nemchoice, leave your username as a reply to this post.

Also someone ought to make a casual team!

quality item

See what I mean
fucking hell

fuck

>wall closes on my warhorse, killer of watch captains
>warhorse dies
Alright

Apparently since of my weak wizard wrists I didn't kill him so it was cool
but good luck with this one

but i use bloatform!

>you see here, a saddle

what is this

boku no elbereth

i know it's nethack but those colors are sweet

>happy bed sitting on the ground in a random level 3 dungeon

i once had an archer who used a crossbow with +6 xshots -6 con until level 40ish

'course that was before 6.0.0 nerfed xtrashots into the ground

When did you guys realize that chris had lost his touch

Dynah*ck

CURSED

Wait; is the crawl tourney soon? Damn it; why it has to be at the same time as guild wars on Granblue Fantasy? I can't grind two games at the same time...

It's always strange finding out what other games you autists play.

What's stardust do in Elona? Isn't it the new upgrade stuff for artifact items? I got 2 beautiful shells and I think the 2nd one turned into it.

today I was playing maidensnow eve

Is it really that surprising, that someone who likes roguelikes also likes grindan games? This place has probably fans of Disgaea and Ragnarok Online un the wazoo.

>Is it really that surprising, that someone who likes roguelikes also likes grindan games?

Yes, it is surprising. I play roguelikes because of the fast progression and constant push to go forward into danger.

Grindan goes against that.

This user speaks the truth.

When the heck is the tournament, anyway? I did a four-streak nemchoice last one but I'm pretty depressed this week and need some time to recover.

ragnarok online is almost an action game

i'm not sure /rlg can play action games

Dominions 4 REPRESENT also Transcendence I guess

I personally try to set a limit of less than 500 turns per floor at the start of DCSS

>It's always strange finding out what other games you autists play.

the game of pretend of course

and dominions 3

>LMOE shelter
>military outpost
Started in the cultist cabin in the woods, what a nice spawn
First time seeing an LMOE shelter, are they full of nasty critters? I would think the military outpost is nothing but tankbots

LMoE is a literal paradise, it has everything you need. Enjoy your first year in a hole I guess.

>LMOE
They are full of sweet loot, but no lights inside

Military Outpost is just going to be a little building surrounded by chain link fences and eight turrets + four spotlights and a bunch of Zombie Grenadiers/Soldiers/Hazmats

You almost had a pal there, buddy.

What's that dark blue F? I have never seen those M's before either.

Blue F is a 'basin', only got to see it from afar but it seemed to just be a pond

I bet it's full of cthulhu

Is Song of Slaying worth using, or is just a trap to attrack sleeping uniques to your ass?

Yes.

it's a trap that you can only use if you're already diesel.

Taking my party van for a test drive

When exactly are you not depressed?

It's an early-game trap and shouldn't be used by low-level Skalds. But once you get stronger, it's useful to beat strong-ish popcorn.

That military building is a mod thing filled with hostile NPCs, military zombies, robutts and basically no loot.

Guess they updated it, it didn't have jack but a mossberg, first aid book, hammer and nails and a first aid book. That's on default item spawn settings

I like rhythm games because grinding them has a permanent improvement on both my finger consistency and perception irl

Gonna go explore the inner city, wish me luck

>tfw no song of slaying, singing sword and gong with qaz

Next week. Probably. Thumbs.

you even find them in beginner hunting quests sometimes

You forgot Obsidian Axe

>driving around town, stop by a gun shop
>there's a bunch of zombies around, whatever, I can take them
>shocker zaps me
>shoot the shocker
>some more zombies walking up, still not concerned
>they bought a necromancer
>I'm standing on a pile of corpses already, this will not be sustainable, I have to kill it first
>run past the dregs, round corner
>like two hundred zombies squeezed into a single world tile, probably summoned by me shooting the shocker earlier
>because I was trying to reach the necromancer, other zombies are between me and my car
>tactical retreat, I need a chokepoint
>find a chokepoint, but spitters melt my legs off
>further retreating
>escape, thanks to buildings slowing the zombies down
>hide in a radio station, dismantle an armchair to craft some splints
>try to sneak away under the cover of night
>fight a few zombies that find me, can't really run away, very close to death now
>by pure luck, find an electric SUV that runs
>successful escape
If this were a real roguelike, I would be dead.
And my previous car is still lost in the middle of a city. It was a battered foundling, like this one, so no great loss there, but I need to go get the loot at some point.

Found a zombie zoo, gonna feed them buckshot

I still hate how electric cars are nerfed to the ground and isn't a viable alternative to gas

>that city size
>that NPC spawn rate
I like your style.

Do you have both a kitchen unit and a chemistry lab? You don't really need both, the kitchen just has a hotplate and a faucet.

>try and set up a base in the city in Cata
>zombies constantly breaking down my windows and doors

reeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hell yea, I'm thinking of switching over to newest experimental and tweak it so that I'm stuck inside this forever stretching city with no nature in sight and have wander zombies up the ass
I really dig the idea of a surviving a massive cyberpunk urban jungle where everything is concrete or steel, it really give me a despair boner

Also neat fact, guess I'll throw in an energy charger or another cargo hold to stock my stuffs

But yea man, post-apocalyptic come in 2 flavors for me: Mad Max or Kowloon
Gun stores are best, come with weapons and a decently sized living space

What is this? It looks like a job recruitment ad but worse because it has no pay. What's your lineup?

I'll love to see the son of a bitch that lived here and blow his brain out, took me fucking forever to crack it open

i think it's strange that someone who plays a traditionally-free-and-open-source genre also plays "get cucked by microtransactions" games

There's always people that pays for ToME.
Also, private servers exist.

Is it as bad of an idea as I think it is to enter spider without any source of rPois or sInv as a mage? I've cleared dungeon, shoals, and orc, and have found literally zero sources of either of those.

yes

Maybe you can skip rPois, but without sInvis as a mage is practically suicide.

switch to TSO for the halo effect

You could actually cut off both the chem lab and kitchen and just have a chemistry set with a rechargeable battery mod. Or even just a hotplate. There are very few recipes that actually need charges from a chemistry set specifically.

>Kowloon
I hate how cataclysm can't generate proper dense cities. I wish there was a Shadowrun roguelike or something.
The obvious solution would be to MAKE one, but I suck at finishing projects.

Yea man, imagine trying to survive in this place

Going from apartment room to apartment room,
scavenging and never be able to grow anything, from passages to highway to alleys and yet not a single tree in sight
Fucking awesome

fuck, forgot the pic

IMO, you need rPois for the poison branches. Shoals/Swamp are quite doable without poison resistance, but Snake/Spider just have too much poison as the most common attack -- and the most dangerous enemies pile it on. That's especially true in Spider, where emperor scorpions and ghost moths both have strong poison attacks.

If you've seriously cleared Shoals already, you might be better off dipping into Vaults/Depths rather than 1) burning up all your health consumables and 2) straight up dying due to the lack of rPois.

>the jelly writhes in agony
>the slime creature writhes in agony
>the acid blob writhes in agony
Never gets old

could you be any more of a pussy lmao