/ORG/ OFF ROAD GENERAL

Nobody made a thread yet so I have to edition
>ITT not monitored by MODS, FBI, ATF edition?
>(no promises)

Post things Off road and off related.

Obligatory copypasta:
>Old Thread
>Older thread:

>Oldest thread:

>>/out/er thread:
> →
>/pirate4x4/ thread:
pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/699969-anybody-here-surf-Veeky Forums-board.html
>ITT:
>>we post scandanavian offroaders
>>icelandic super offroaders
>>missing aspects of winter
>>overrun by summerfags over and over again
>>everyone puts away their off road winter beaters
>>everyone is actually offroading and overlanding as to have no time to shitpost
>>suburban cruisers
>ORGs are no longer pinned by mods.
>>feels bad man
>Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
>Discord
discord.gg/SenfAyU
>Buy stickers!
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BD8r1fxQeOw
dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/dodge-ram/6254550678.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_LGSpeow09c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

See my new 37" pitbulls, going on the K5 soon...

If I get into offloading what's the best platform to start on? Cheap to buy with good aftermarket support

Post the fucking K5.

Jeep yj/tj/xj it can be even cheaper if you're handy with a welder.

My dad and I bobbed my '85 nissan 720 20" last week. Came out alright except the body lines don't line up very well, especially on the driver's side.

Rigged up crossmember from an old TJ tow bar.

The bottom of the bed lined up nicely but the sides were a shitshow.

The rear driver side corner had been in an accident and had a 1/4" of bondo on it. Hence why it doesn't line up as well as the passenger.

Next step is the SAS swap, already have a toyota front axle in the barn ready for rebuild. Probably gonna use rear leafs from a toyota up front, not sure exactly how we're gonna hang the shackles. I might end up using box sliders for the rear shackles up front.

What's /org/'s opinion on the suzuki jimny?
I know you don't get them in the states and I don't know much about offroading but I'll be on a trip through iceland next month and want to rent one to go around the island and reportedly kinda bad "gravel roads". There are more capable options for rent but I don't want to pay 1.5k€ for a defender, that would be kinda overkill I guess.

Behold! I brought home some crap

>not zj
How are you going to off road in luxury?

cant wait to get this fucking thing finished up and to do a little wheeling. I did too nice of a job on it so i wont be getting too extreme

Whoever did this deserves to drown in their own shit

We have one dude with a Jimny. They're qt

this fucking video

youtu.be/BD8r1fxQeOw

Here is my K5, this is the SUV the 37" pitbulls are going on...

The rear end sits higher now so it's much more level. The front axle was also moved forward when I installed the 52" springs, may move it back 1" to make it look a little more even in the wheelwell while still clearing the 37" tire.

Currently has the 35" BFG mall terrains...

I think you need more axles on that trailer.

It's good for 19,000lbs, and was built to get around the California PTI overall length.

dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/dodge-ram/6254550678.html

Cleanest truck in all of SW Ohio that isn't brand new

I think I'd put a leveling kit, some decent A/Ts, a camper top then put a sleeping platform in the bed and be done.

When should I finally realize I'm delusional and sell my rust bucker grand cherokee? Today I need to replace the power steering pump after replacing the starter, radiator fan, valve cover gasket, throttle body, and 4 different sensors. It doesn't sound like much but for a college student this is all time consuming and costly. It's not a hobby anymore it's an addiction. I'm a battered wife with stockholm syndrome. I just replace and replace, the spics at my junkyard know me by name already. Initially my limit was if the head gasket blew that would be it for me I'd cut my losses and ditch it on craigslist. Good thing I only paid 800 for ol'unreliable.

I didn't even realize I had slight death wobble after my gf asked me why the cherokee felt more "shakey" before we left. Thos bad puppy is sitting around 260k miles, should I just drive it into the ground until it falls apart or flip it for 1k and break even from repair costs?

Whyd you buy a bitch mobile WJ.
My ZJ is at 266k and I haven't had to do shit.

Because it was 800 dollars all the xj's in my area were owned by people who didn't speak english with a firm price of 1500. Compared to everything in my area this was a steal. No blown gaskets no check engine light, an owner that spoke english.

PICS OF K5!!!!

XJ used to be the go to option but lately the prices of them are starting to climb. For the YJ/TJ you will have to search far and wide to get one without paying the Wrangler tax.

I'd also add any pickup truck should be decent enough to get started.

Nice project! Keep us posted with more pics!

A friend of mine built up a Samurai. 10/10 would recommend.

Plans for the crap?

It's an '87! Same as my old Jeep. My deepest sympathy for owning a 4.2 though. I know your pain haha

Nice! Where you plan on going/what do you plan on doing with it?

As someone who is in a similar boat with mine (there's a reason I named it Murphy) I'm not qualified to answer that...

My ZJ was 800 as well. Registered till next year and smogged for two.
Did you go and fuck up and get a v8?

youtube.com/watch?v=_LGSpeow09c

I'm going to put the cab, engine, and trans on my 4wd one that I found out doesn't float.
In the process, I'm also keeping the new ones registration so I don't have to do inspections, because it's a 73

See
That's my 1987 K5, has a 350/700r4 with 10 bolt axles. Currently 4.30 gears in the axles. Next month ill be installing 5.13s to go with the 37" pitbulls. Probably end up dropping mad dough on RCV axle shafts after I start blowing front axle u joints with the 37s... Ha

Another pic of the K5 just for you Murph...

I actually love my 4.2! It's not carbureted. Would not pass commiefornia's strict smog test. I had converted to become TBI with a Howell kit. Runs a hell of a lot better, and I get slightly more mpg. I don't have to deal with the headache of the shit carburetor as well

What I don't like about my '87, is the frog tranny. It's shit. I'm saving to swap an AX15

>v8

fuck no, thank god it was a straight 6 I can't imagine what kind of hell I'd be in if I did jump the gun on a v8

You did good.
Anything that breaks on the 4.0, you don't need.
I have never heard of headgasket failure, you must be doing something wrong

nice truck m8

That K5 will look dirty af. I'd like to get pitbull rockers but it doesn't make much sense on a daily driver. Been trying to find a full set of grabber x3 in 37x12.5 size but it seems like no one has them in stock unless I wanna pay ridiculous shipping and duty costs to get them from the US.

lol

Thanks, can't wait, the Pitbulls are a great tire. They're just a bit pricy, but I got these for a really good deal, so couldn't pass them up. Plus I don't daily the K5, I have a work van, so the tires should last a while. Probably won't put more then 3-4k miles on it per year. Mainly miles driving to off road parks and back.

It's a flexy bitch too... Ha

Planning on having it done and broke in for next summer, everything is brand new or rebuilt.

I have rough plans to buy a small slide in camper or large camper shell to convert to living quarters and tour canada coast to coast for about a month.

>70s derge
Aww shit my nigga

What's it got under the hood?

Going to take this beast off-roading this Saturday. Will post results

>For those who don't know

>that squat pic

Have fun getting it stuck then burnt to the ground by meth heads

Are you 15 or somethin?

>implying I'm not hasguns

Fits perfectly in the center console. Metheads fear the 45AARP

Your still going to get that pos stuck

I think this is the nicest car I've ever seen posted on Veeky Forums

Afraid not

Dankeschön

When you're not as special of a snowflake as you thought

>find bench seat in the woods
>Take it home
>Sitting around truck drinking beer
>...
>Pic related

Are you a bad enough dude to ride in the hot seat?

rig up a pulley and lever system so you can drive from up there like Mr. Bean or don't bother

Just a 360 of unknown quality.
I'll probably hop it up some, or look for a 60s bigblock

/shitholegeneral/
Holy shit how do you afford an internet connection?

Not sure I'd want to drive from up there once it's lifted 12" and sitting on 42s

383bb and 400bb will probably be your best bet for a pre 70s/80s big block. Or just turn the 360 into a 408 stroker motor

>He doesn't have a pile of 4x4 parts
>He doesn't into shade tree mechanic
>Laughing_sluts.jpg

I gotta put shit somewhere while I build my shop

Cummins? How did you lift that in and out of the trucks? Tractor with a plow?

How's the transfer case, too?

>408 stroker motor
I'm not made of money...
The most I'd do is a cam, headers, intake, junkyard carb, junkyard heads, and some porting here and there.

G Wagon is cool for off road. But not the AMG. It's got bad wheels and low hanging side pipes.

It's one of them rare v8 Cummins with spark plugs. They're pretty light

Nigga I wish. That's the factory 5.9 Magnum coming out to make room for a 78 400 big block
Pic related

Used a harbor freight chain hoist and a sturdy oak limb

am mobileposting faggot so i saw the dodge and assumed cummins because off road

thank

what are you doing with the second frame?

>Implying the side pipes aren't Gucci as fuck

We'll see if they get dinged

Kept the springs, axles, tires and fuel cell cut up the frame for scrap

Good to see you back. Threads are the same way.

>inb4 someone tries to bully you

Just came back from Iceland. Suzuki Jimnys are horrid for highways (especially if you have a grill with you). Get a higher level offroad vehicle.

Defenders, Hiluxes, and Land Cruiser running 38 inch tyres are unnecessary for the summer. How long are you there for?

You could cut the flat off lengthwise and used it to box another frame

tay?

By the time you factor in gas for the torches and flap wheels it's cheaper to buy a 20' stick of 6"x1/4" flat bar

In hindsight I should have made a trailer out of it but I needed it out of the yard and scrap prices were up

Got a few things done on them but the rain and heat have kept me from venturing outside to work on them. Got the rear end out of a f450 under it so it's got matching 4.88s now and got all the wiring stripped out so i can rewire it then rebuild the carb

The short bed I got to snatch the trans out so I can send it to monster transmission for a rebuild and tailshaft swap so I can ditch the np203 for the np231

Plasma cutter runs on power and compressed hair, bro

Are you gonna buy him a plasma cutter?

20' stick of 6x1/4
>$160
Plasma cutter
>$1500
Refills for oxy/acetylene
>$150
Do the math numbnuts

KILL YOURSELF TAYFAGGOT!!!!!!!

That's not very nice

Well, plasma cutters have more value then one job.
And if you use a frame, it's then bent in the right way, with just a flat piece, you won't get one continuous run of metal

that's a cool jeep

Plasma cutter and torches pay for themselves pretty quickly. Currently saving for a decent plasma cutter. Cuts so fuckin smooth and clean. I've been spoiled with one at work, now I don't even want to look at a cut off wheel again

you don't do much metal fab do you?

How far are you out that you're gettin g hard rain? Rain this year really makes offroading difficult for the IFS (not so)-master race. It brings a lot of rocks and roots back onto the trails.

I kinda want to put an old 68RFE or something into my land cruiser actually. What's with the NP231?

sup, bae(s)

in Florida it rains nearly every afternoon from around April to October and when i say rain i mean RAIN. like, standing in a shower with six shower heads kinda rain along with tons of lightning and when its not raining its 94+ with 110% humidity.

im using the factory np231 so i have part time 4wd and the factory speedo pick up and tcase shifter. the only way to get a part time case behind a big block 727 trans is to swap the output shaft with one from a small block 727 or do a part time conversion on the 203 case and since im rebuilding the trans anyway im going with the former

o shit you were the nice user who invited me down to SAS swap TayTaynger with my friend's D60

he ended up getting $2500 for it from some redneck in central Ontario btw
>inb4 Americans say this price is ridiculous
It was some source from an engine rebuilder that just "sourced" the axle for whatever native or hick got that thing.

What else is planned for the Ram? I guess "winter" is the best time to work on cars there eh? I remember driving in Florida two years ago. Bright sun. Enter a tunnel on the freeway and we come through the other side and it is absolutely pouring. Lots of people on emergency blinkers when those 5 second mega showers come through

my ranger, what are some cheap accessories that you guys have put in/on your vehicles

dana 60 fromt axle swap

Or you could crank the torsion bars up front for an extra 1-3 inches of lift and make the ride wholey uncomfortable in every way.

What is the most comfortable on-road solid axle vehicle? Definitely not a jeep also want something at least 10 years old because fuck paying 30k for an offroad vehicle.

already leveled the front and threw a 3 inch body lift in to make room for the tires

Why do you people off-road Rangers when they're not ever built for this sport. There's literally a hundred better choices instead of something that long wheelbase

>110-126 inch wheelbase truck vs 95-116 wheelbase on jeeps
>off road is apparently a single sport?

I'll be there for 10 days and I'll indeed travel with my gf.
We want to go around the south and east, there are 2 F-roads on the current route but I could just take a detour and rent a golf for the same price - no mountain roads, no river crossings. Comfort isn't really a top priority.
What did you drive?

Thank you for your answers!

It's literally a japanese Jeep knockoff though

Did Toyota actually make a "jeep"? I'm pretty sure back in the 50s they made a Toyota Jeep, because they thought "jeep" was the type of vehicle not a brand... Ha

>not knowing what a landcrusier is
they were the back of Australia, alot better than some company that should of died in the 70s

>nips get ass kicked in WWII
>US occupiers ask toyota to make some jeeps to willys specs
>toyota gets the bright idea of making their own
Literally jeep knockoffs

Am I /org/ yet lol?

only true morons believe this
>not know wtf you're talking about

What would /org/ recommend me for under 10k, reliable, easy to learn to work on, 4wd with truck bed or can take the top off? I would plan on using it for some light off roading and creeping around the countryside.