Protection from salted roads

So is there any reliable way to protect my shitbox from rusting to dust in winter?
What do you anons do to protect your car?
yuropoor so garaging it isnt an option

Other urls found in this thread:

fluid-film.com/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/17020520/#q17028355
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16112396/#q16112693
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Frequent underbody cleaning and coating.

You're better off not garaging it actually. If you get a bunch of salty ice and shit all over your car and then put it in a garage it will all melt and seep into every orifice of your car. Leave the car outside and it will hopefully stay frozen. This is only something ive heard before, who knows if it really makes a difference.

Honestly there isn't much you can do. You could get the whole car undercoated but that cant really protect everything, nothing can. If you drive your car through winter on salty roads it will get rusty.

Sounds like broscience, you'd be better off just fucking cleaning it.

Something like pic related. Oil it in the fall. Clean it in the spring, then re oil it. Re oil it in the fall. Over and over.

Get a really thick underbody coating before the first salt, really slather that stuff if you do it yourself, and then don't wash the underside until they stop salting. Afterwards clean the car absolutely thoroughly, getting off all the coating as well. Washing the car inbetween will just work away the coating. Only wash it with a hose to clean the windows and stuff.

Also at least around here car washes recycle their water while adding fresh water, but even with filtering it'll still have a higher salt content during winter months so it's advisory to avoid them for that period.

Going to a good carwash with a nice undercarriage blast

I getting a rustproof spray every 2 years.
**NOT UNDERCOATING**

The rubberized black undercoating doesn't prevent rust and if it has already started the rubber just holds the moisture in until the metal underneath flakes off

I also keep a can of green rustcheck for small spots as it tends to stick better than the red can.

Buy a winter beater or prepare to battle and defend against rust.

where are you from user?

poland

Yea, don't drive it.

Salt is a travesty. I live in an area that gets lots of snow and long winters: no salt on the roads and we're doing fine.

Salt should be banned from the roads.

please revolution in kanuck

not really possible while having only one car

>Being so poor you can't afford a $500 dollar winter beater

Life must be difficult.

>OP already stated he's yuropoor
>"dude just buy a $500 dollar beater lmao"

He stated a garage isn't an option. What's $500? Yuropoors must be poorer than I imagined.

t w i n g o
w
i
n
g
o

its not even that i cant afford it, garages arent that common and leaving it on the parking for the that long is illegal

Legally owning a car in yurop isn't as simple as "just buy a $500 beater".
And where would he put his main car if garaging it isn't an option and he can't leave it in one parking spot for that long?

>So is there any reliable way to protect my shitbox from rusting to dust in winter?
Other road salt threads on Veeky Forums have had detailed posts on what people do. Check archived posts.

i live an a snowy area that doesn't salt the roads either.

However that doesn't mean that buildings and parking lots don't get salted.

>essentially telling someone to use the search function
Thanks for the advice, Boomer_with_Zoomer_65. Did you forget your seven-paragraph signature?

The reason salt is "corrosive" is because it is hydrophillic and thus holds water against your car. Literally all you need to do in the winter is take it to a car wash and spray hot water against the underbody every so often during the winter.

To elaborate on this it's the same as if you are firing ammunition with corrosive primer in your rifle. The primer itself isn't corrosive. What it is is that the primer leaves a salty residue in parts of the gun, and the salt absorbs latent moisture, pressing it against the metal parts, and metal and water = corrosion. Fortunately most salts are highly water soluble. What you do in a rifle after firing corrosive ammo is just pull the barrel and gas system out and pour hot water through them (the hotter the better) and then the salt dissolves and runs off with the water. So if you go to an indoor DIY carwash it'll be nice and warm to allow the hot water from the spray gun to evaporate relatively fast. Not as fast as pouring boiling water through a gun barrel but it's still better than having salty residue sitting up in your chassis for months on end

With a corrosive attitude like yours, no wonder you anticipate corrosion of your car.

isnt me(OP)

>Tfw no power washer with 90° elbow

Fluid Film 2x year

fluid-film.com/

>What do you anons do to protect your car?
>isnt me(OP)

There's various other threads at 4plebs archive of Veeky Forums posts with different answers as to what they used. Of course, advice varies and needs common sense on your part. For example, the method below is apparently for non-frozen areas where the ground has salt but the ambient air is not freezing. Such a method would work, but fail if it was too cold since spraying more water would just freeze on.

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/17020520/#q17028355

thanks, the temperatures are mostly above 0 here but it really depends, sometimes we barely get any snow and sometimes its under 0 for 3 months straight
also i just meant that this single post isnt mine, if it wasnt clear

From December to April I walk 35kms to work and back...uphill there and back...in Canuckistan...

>So is there any reliable way to protect my shitbox from rusting to dust in winter?
Derust and repaint the entire undercarriage.
>What do you anons do to protect your car?
Derusting&repainting

I guess it is the "WD40 water displacement effect" but someone in the thread at archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16112396/#q16112693 mentioned the following:

>have shitbox that leaks oil like a sieve
>it dribbles out and splatters all over chassis and underbody because wind at highway speed
>neither previous owner nor me have cleaned the oil gunk off in the past 28 years except to get at bolts for repairs
>drive it in the winter in upstate NY and not a single spot of frame/suspension rust
>if you scrape some gunk off there's still original paint underneath
>but I'm putting a quart of oil in every couple weeks

Buy a cleaning subscription service from a reputable car wash in your area. Have your undercarriage washed every day during cold weather.

in the early 1900s they'd slather suspension components in grease and then wrap the mess up in leather

I don't see why you can't do the first part

>Buy a cleaning subscription service from a reputable car wash in your area
Most commercial car washes offer monthly or seasonal subscription services. My area has them and it is quite a bargain. The one that has undercarriage rinse spray is $8 each or $29.99 per month with up to 2 uses per day for that registered car.

The problem is that no car wash is located next door to your house. By the time you drive on the salted roads back home, your car is salted up again. Another problem is that car washes in many states, mine included, are required to recycle part of their water. They filter it and re-use it typically at the beginning and middle of the wash with the final rinse being clean bypass water (not recycled). The problem is that the prewash and wash water can be very salty after all those salted cars come by. So you are basically getting a concentrated salt wash due to the recycling. The only new fresh water is the runoff from the rinse water which itself becomes salty from rinsing your car.

Large buildings do the same thing in recycling the air. That conserves energy since only the new air needs a lot of treatment. The new air (or in your case water) is called bypass. If your car wash operator is profit-minded, he will set a low bypass value when water is expensive like in California. I have heard bypass can be 5%. So it's no wonder people complain since his particulate filters might very well be leaking low micron particles into the wash water and thus even a normally non-scratching fiber strip brush will become scratchy if the water is full of very fine particles (finer than grains of sand obviously).

So you probably still need to rinse your car after you get home. If you don't have a water tap from inside your house able to connect to a hose, then you'll have to fill your pump sprayer with warmed up water. Save some one gallon water jugs and fill with tap water. Set aside and use the room temp water when you get home.

Fluid film in the fall before winter and then salt terminator In a garden pump sprayer each time after you wash the undercarriage

I'm about to move to Michigan, and this worries me. When I visited before, it seemed like everyone drove 2010+ domestic vehicles. Not a good sign.

I'm guessing there are several options:
1. Powerwash underbody every time snows.
2. Fluid film once a year. Hose wash every time it snows.
3. Undercoat every few years. Wash every week it snows with whatever method you feel like.

Im not sure if professional undercoat shops will pull liners to spray behind fenders. It's something I could do myself, but my car is too low to undercoat the whole thing even on jackstands.

>not getting up 4 hours before the work to get rid of salt and to pour water on the road to your workplace so you can do sick skids and drift on every turn while going there later
Fucking europeans man

Contrary to what a lot of people think, rain and roadsalt in itself is not that bad for your car. Cars are properly designed these days with all the necessary coatings and protectants. What you need to be worried about is when you pierce the clear coat or any of these other protectants (scrape on some ice, bump into another car, get hit, etc....) really anything that compromises the integrity of your paint. THAT is when you're fucked and THAT is when the salt and shit is going to speed up the demise of your car.

In alberta it's winter from october to april and they don't use salt because it actually gets too cold for the salt to work

So it's gravel and sand instead

>within 30 years, desert

Since a lot of people drive without mud guards or mud flaps, the constant spray of sand, grit, pebbles, and road debris will continue to wear down any protective coatings and galvanization. The zinc only lasts so long since the salt eats away at it.

The thing that everyone can do is wash the salt off before parking the car at work where it sits 8 hours. And then wash the car off before parking it at home where it sits the rest of the day. Those two places are where the salt damage occurs.

Why not park it in your driveway? Surely it's not illegal in Europe to park a car in your own driveway?

>yuropoors
>having a driveway

Life must be misery.

Not as bad as all the salt water that would flood the Netherlands if someone detonated an EMP burst. It's a lesbian country full of dykes.

Netherlands more like NetherRegions lmao

They're brining the roads this winter in Edmonton I think.

i wish i had one....
its impossible to even park it on the parking lot because they are fucking building another flat on it
everyone literally parks on the side of the street (the funny thing is, you cant park on the grass, because its illegal, atleast 1/4th of the vechicle has to be on the road)

Flaps wont protect the upper part of the wheel arches though. You have to get a car with plastic wheel arch trim, or do some modifications yourself. This doesn`t even factor in that cars can also rust from the inside out, which can be only prevented with cleaning drain holes and using rust preventive wax/oil.

The only reason I'm not driving my STI in the winter is because of rust.

The techs at my dealeship said because I didn't rustproof it when new (got it in Feb) there's no point in doing it now.

Is this right? I was thinking of doing the oil spray without drilling holes like
Krown.

I would really love to drive it in the winter, but I want to keep it for a long time.

Advice?

DONT
DRIVE
IT

Move to California.

DO NOT DRIVE THIS VEHICLE

get it undercoated and drive it, nothing lasts forever but in a decade im sure you will be fine with a bit of rot. Cars are meant to be driven not admired in a garage.

Undercoating is the oil spray or the ashphalt application?

Off the top of your head do you know if this voids your warranty?

Oil spray is common in the upper penninsula of Michigan where i'm from and it usually does not, but i'd call Subaru of North America and make sure.