Mercedes S600

Convince me either not to, or to buy a 5th gen S600.

For around $25,000 one can be bought in good shape, then you keep around $15k in the bank for repairs and maintenance and you've got one hell of a car for $40k. Seems like the ultimate cruiser to me. Has all the features that you'd expect in a modern car and then some, plus 500hp and 600ft lb of torque.

Or spend a little more for a car from a dealer and get an extended warranty for even more security.

Besides the high cost for general maintenance items like brakes, air suspension, tires, etc, are there any huge reasons I shouldn't do it? Do the engines have a tendency to just crap out like the W211 3.5L engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=461840178&zip=77379&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=77379&listingTypes=used&startYear=1981&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=E55AMG&makeCodeList=MB&searchRadius=500&listingTypes=used&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=E55AMG&makeCodeList=MB&searchRadius=500&makeCode1=MB&modelCode1=E55AMG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hope you mean $15k/year for maintenance

ever heard of warranty

they don't suffer from the balance shaft issue of the v8. go for it. come back and blog about the problems you have.

Yeah, I'm strongly considering getting one from a dealer with an extended warranty, that being said

I think 5k a year for 3 years is reasonable for doing my own work. Maybe a bit more the first year.

Much better then the W220 that came before it but not a great car to own. Most warranty companies and plans will not cover consumable/wear and tear items. This includes the two $1,300 coil packs that fail frequently and the very problematic self-leveling suspension system that can cost 3 to 5 thousand dollars to overhaul. These cars tend to fall apart even past the 40 thousand mile mark. I was a service advisor for a BMW/Benz specialty shop and customers got very tired of showing up every couple months on a flat bed even when warranty work covered everything that broke.

Note from above. The V12 Benz cars do not have air-matic suspension like the other S class variants, they use a high pressure hydraulic system that is driven by a special power steering pump.

Coil packs and air suspension are the two big things i've read about. Let's say that both of them were bad the moment i bought the car.

Even after having put another 6 or 7k into it to replace those parts, I'd have the peace of mind knowing that they were fixed, and it should be good for a few years.

I just can't think of any other cars that come close to this even if you take into consideration the potential up front cost of repair.

I should also mention, I have a garage to work in as well as 2 other vehicles for when this one is being worked on.

Good to know, I did not know that, thought it had the same air suspension setup.

You would think there would be some comfort in replacing all 4 struts and a pump. Mbz knows this, so they put shitty rubber hydraulic lines that will rupture and cause you to waste the whole system all over again. The even shittier part is how some of the rubber lines are tied into other parts and not available separately so you either go full-boat or cross your fingers.

That sounds reasonable but be advised:
-you WILL need a star diagnosis system and preferrably a working version of Vediamo/DTS monaco
-this will eat loads of time
Especially the second factor is not to be underestimated.
The chinks are making good clones of the SDS, although mine (laptop included for $635 shipped) is not playing ball with Vediamo and DTS monaco. I'm trying to get some chink support to help me fix it.

*cont from above.
autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=461840178&zip=77379&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=77379&listingTypes=used&startYear=1981&sortBy=derivedpriceDESC&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=E55AMG&makeCodeList=MB&searchRadius=500&listingTypes=used&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=E55AMG&makeCodeList=MB&searchRadius=500&makeCode1=MB&modelCode1=E55AMG
You got me triggered
Get a 03+ supercharged w211 e55, they are a amazing value and a joy to own by comparison. It is not uncommon to see these things running great with 200,000+ miles if cared for.

I also read that you can do a coil / strut conversion, which may be something i'd look into.

I had a W211, and while it wasn't an e55 I still got a feel for that type of car. I'm looking for something a bit larger, i know the W211's aren't exactly small, but it wasn't large either.

And while it was comfortable, it was nowhere near to the comfort of the S class, unless the seats are miles better in the AMG.

Don't get me wrong though, I have considered them, and still am.

This may be your answer. Shame it was only made for such a short time.

I've thought about it, might be a good compromise.

Interior is quite a bit more dated though compared to a fifth gen S class. Can't say I've ever sat in one though.

I wouldn't remove the ABC honestly. These cars were made for it and it's not such a complicated system, you just have to read up a bit on how it works then you'll be able to fix most problems. Valve blocks can be rebuilt, struts are available as reman units in good quality (Arnott) and as long as you keep the oil fresh the components should last for a long time.

Conversions are not really an option with ABC cars. The system works as a variable sway bar of sorts and works to limit body roll, so this means the whole power steering system and angle sensors, yaw sensors, anti lock brake control, wheel speed control, skid control, and all sorts of other things are made to work with ABC controls and input. Not to mention the fact that you usually have to swap subframes to get sway bars or coil springs to work.

>module goes out
>$3k
>can't use ones from scrap cars, has to be factory new part
>seat stops working
>$7500
>window regulator fails
>$700

You don't see 8 year old S classes for $8500 because they are a hidden gem that nobody knows about. They are extremely expensive to fix (in parts, not labor, doing it yourself will not make it cheap all of a sudden) and the cars age horribly.

why? noone, literally noone is in the market of buying old premium LARGE ENGINED cars, unless its ancient and has collectors value. W221 will probably never end up collectors item.
Just buy 3.5 tdi and enjoy normal mpg. S class is not for hooning

Nowhere did i post that i wanted to hoon, have a collectors car or get good MPG.

I want it because i like it.

S class is not about whats underneath the bonnet, if you don't like diesel vibrations can just get smaller petrol engine. Basically save yourself some money and buy one with simple and easy to maintain engine. Literally V6 has half the maintenance.

You sound European.

Given the choice between more headache and 500hp, or less headache and 250, i'll take the headache.

I have lots of nice straight roads that i can open the V12 up and be happy. I was not once happy with the power in my 3.5L E-Class, and i sure wouldn't be with the same power in a bigger vehicle.

you just said you don't want to hoon.
want to hoon buy s63.
What speeds would you like to hit then? I doubt you will be hitting 300 like on german autobahns on your open roads.

Going fast in a straight line and having passing power is not hooning.

Just get an LS460

Lewd

my e39 520 has passing power, speeding way over speed limit actually is hooning

That V12 is ancient and consumes just ridiculous amounts of fuel. Mercedes V8 is a better engine. Just wait OP until your air suspension gives out unexpectedly after your measly 15k maintenance budget has already been spent and then costs you another 20k to get roadworthy again, pretty stupid idea desu that's why nobody does it

this

t. Australian

Cls amg is literally the only merc I would ever buy