I bought a lemon

I bought a lemon.

I brought my friend who between him and I know a good amount about cars to the craigslist meet and it at first impressions looked fine, but I just got the report back from the mechanic and everythings fucked. Suspension, transmission, brakes, timing, oil leaks, the whole 9 yards. The seller wasn't trying to fuck me over because we went over to his house to get the title and whatnot so he knows I know where he lives.

What should I do? Im thinking of putting it back on CL with 200+ more than I actually got it and feign ignorance.

Pic related, the car i got, but not the same one.

Other urls found in this thread:

trademe.co.nz/1391188195
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

make it a project
if you just scam another person you are THE biggest douche canoe in history

>him and I know a good amount about cars
>everythings fucked. Suspension, transmission, brakes, timing, oil leaks,
how did you miss all of this?
trade it in or sell it as-is. with your luck, if you feign ignorance, you will get into more trouble

feign ignorance isnt the right way to say it, ill say that the brakes and suspension need work and I just bought it and cant afford the repairs. I dont want to lose any more than 200 bucks on it

this is my first car and all the repairs go into the thousands.

Don't listen to mechanics, they only try to scam you

Either you're fucking retarded for not being able to immediately determine that literally everything on that car is fucked before you bought it, or you're fucking retarded for not being able to immediately determine that that mechanic is trying to rip you off

Did the seller lie to you or the mechanic? Have you actually seen any of this damage with your own eyes?

Welcome to owning a car, bub. This is what it's like in the real world.

Ive had suspicions the tranny and brakes and suspension have had issues but i didnt realize they were that bad

see if they're not scamming you.
does it bounce over bumps and ride like a fucking boat?, if so the shocks are out, how well does it stop? does one side stop harder than the other? does it drag to one side? if yes the brakes are fucked.is it auto or manual? if it's auto how does it shift? are the shifts delayed? if it's manual does it feel exceptionally vague? is it grinding? are you having trouble getting in and out of gear? if yes it's bad. timing can be remidied but it'll take patience. oil leaks should be obvious and easy to spot

that's what you get for buying a car off craigslist

just sell it again and don't tell anybody it happened

I've sunk a 2003 chevy malibu in mud after off roading it, had it towed out by the rear axle and just beat on it in general for 25000 miles

Granted it only had 20000 on it when I bought it but if I've had better luck with a chevy op must be doing something very wrong

This is a family mechanic that my mom (yeah hahahaha stereotypes) believes wholeheartedly that he's honest. But who the hell knows. He could be exaggerating. Myself and everyone I know whose driven it says that the brakes and suspension need work, and my mom says the transmission is unhappy. The transmission seems fine to me, shifts seamlessly. My uncle is a mechanic and I trust him more so ill probably have him look too.

i just got an sc400 with a lot of small issues ive been fixing

that car and my car have a lot of similar parts and similar problems all of which are easy and cheap to fix as long as you have a brain and know how to google search.

literally there are multi page write ups often with pictures that address any and every issue that exists with these cars

pic related is my new (to me) car

I have a aristo in the family, so let me help you out. Brakes won't be too expensive, and you can do it yourself. Suspension, that's a wear item, it'll eventually have to be replaced, so you might as well if it feels like it.

One thing to watch for is the timing belt and water pump. Do those every 100,000 km. Never put that off, those cars absolutely need those done at the right time.

Now, let me tell you how I know your mechanic is a lying piece of shit. Those cars have transmission that are wicked durable. You'd have to absolutely drive like a deranged woman to fuck it up on any way. He's lying. He just wants the money to do it, because tranny work is expensive, and he can make a lot off you.

When did this cancerous tripfag emerge?

Lemon story thread?
>2009
>be me, frugal college student
>looking for a reliable and comfy car to get me through college
>a 1996 Toyota Camry XLE appears at online auction
>v6, all available features, pearl color, only 77k miles
>excited.png
>after fees and taxes, comes out to $1700
>forevercar.mov
>it arrives
>from Oakland
>global capitol of dindu nuffin
>they had rolled back the odometer from 277k
>CEL: random misfire code, low compression in 4 of the 6 cylinders
>can't resell because mileage is fake
>can't drive because it's falling apart
>end up parting it out and making back barely $700
Don't be a faggot and do the research every time.

How did you miss so much?

Brakes and suspension are negotiating points. A bad transmission is a deal breaker unless you're looking for a project.

Ouch. Lemon thread it is.

>Be me, looking for a reliable shitbox
>Find a nice Subaru
>Body is excellent, motor runs strong
>New brake lines all around
>Suspension is nice, bushings are worn-out but it's expected
>Oil smells weird to me, but it has the synthetic smell to it
>Get home and immediately change all fluids to catch it up on maintenance
>Oil is definitely not 5-30, consistency is odd to me
>Fuck
>Fresh oil, knocking is now audible at the top end
>Went up town and asked my buddy what goo he recommended to dump in
>Some kind of honey goo stuff
>Smells very similar to what I remember smelling
>Dumped it in, no fucks given
>Knocking sound went away
>Ended up throwing a rod trying to race my buddies Civic about 10k miles later

op update: I'm trying to get payback the legal way. I'm offering it back to the seller for $100 less. sure I get cucked out of $100 but it's better than being cucked out $2300.

also, whats an easy way to do at least $100 worth of damage that can't be quickly detected?

He was asking 2300 and you paid the full 2300?

You deserved this.

>I know a good amount about cars
>looked fine

>Suspension, transmission, brakes, timing, oil leaks, the whole 9 yards

I.. wh...

How?

>trusting a mechanic your mom trusts

If your mom is anything like the average mom she doesn't know shit about cars and apparently neither do you. 99% chance your mechanic is scamming the shit out of you. Get a second opinion and maybe even a third. Or just check shit yourself. You should be able to tell if brakes, belts, fluids, etc. are good, check for leaks and whatnot. If there is a more obscure problem it should manifest itself fairly quickly. When you know exactly what the car is doing that isn't right, that's when you take it to the mechanic.

he originally asked 3k but it was whittled down to 2300

This is what you get for buying a fuckin GS300 as a first car, these fat bitches always got some kind of problem.
Dont bother wasting money on it, either sell it for parts or wreck it

How do you filter them on mobile?

gut it and ls swap it
make it the car no one expects

I'm trying to figure out what that pic is and I really can't. The headlights look like a cefiro but the door handles don't match...

Oh shit just found it on trade me that's gangsta

trademe.co.nz/1391188195

I don't trust carjam
By the looks of it it's part ceff, part r32, with a commodore engine