How hard is to change your own brake pads?

How hard is to change your own brake pads?

If you have to ask, take it to a shop.

About as hard as Legos

depends on how many johnson rods are engaging your drums. if you cant find it online, I'd call a shop and give them your model, year, and trim package because bigger brakes have more rods

I'm basically retarded when it comes to wrenching and I did it

chris fix has a good video on changing pads and rotors, just study it religiously and look up your torque specs

The part that scares me the most is the brake fluid bleed, I'm afraid I'll fuck it up somehow and end with no fluid and thus no brakes.

its so piss easy you cant really fuck it up

>You need to bleed your brakes when changing brake pads
>Wrenching

How to spot bus riders thread?

oh shit if you're scared of that don't even try blinker fluid.

Take it to a shop and ask for a blinker fluid change.

>he doesnt change his fluid when he changes the brakes
have fun hitting a tree

>get ceramic pads
>take off wheel
>take off two screws on back of caliper
>pull off caliper
>pull off safety clip (if applicable)
>pull out old pads
>use pic related to push the caliper open
>do this slowly and pause often so the prake fluid doesnt get fucked
>put on brake pads
>put on the safety clip (if applicable)
>put what you have back on the rotor
>put the two screws in
>put the wheel on
>repeat on the other side

Take it around the block to test the pads. If you have trouble with any screws just use a ratchet and hammer bc that shit gets almost welded together sometimes from the heat. Make sure you replace them in pairs and not just one front or one back

wut

forgot the pic fugg

Ok am I the only one interested in what that girl is eating? Kelp wrapped around some rice, is there a name for this?

>bleed breaks
Nigga, I'm changing out my pads and rotors tomorrow and you don't need to do that shit. Seriously if you're asking how hard it is, you clearly shouldn't be doing it yourself.

But seriously for a sec what tools do you have, and what do you THINK you need?

>Changing out pads/rotors
>Not doing fluid at the same time

Why the fuck not?

Fluid's fine, the rotors went because I gave the shitbox to dad for a few month and he gives it back with the wear indicators screeching for like 2 months.
HMMMM THE CAR SOUNDS LIKE IT'S SCREAMING IN PAIN WHEN YOU BACK UP IT'S POSSIBLE YOU CAN TELL ME SO I DON'T NEED TO SPEND LIKE 50 A ROTOR AGAIN.

why wouldn't he want to flush his brake fluid while he's doing his pads and rotors?

probably because that would be like ripping out the floor and replacing it every time you clean your room

gooky snacks
like scooby snacks

Onigiri

Oh yeah a johnson rod!!

lol only time you need to bleed your brakes is when you change your calipers, don't have to when you change rotors/pads.
If you change your pads you'll only need to pump your brake pedal a few times to get the compression back from using the C-clamp to push the pad back in.

> Lift car up, put it on stands
> begin taking off first wheel with breaker bar
> lug immediately shears off the bolt
> drive to dealership with one stud missing from wheel
> back home, jack car up again, replace stud
> get to second wheel, more studs shear off

>you take the wheels off finally
>brake pads sealed with calipers cause of rust
>you try to brake em loose
>stupid clip holders brake, now you need to order some 5 cent part
>"easy job" turns into a nightmare
>spend 2 days fixing your shit
>breaks squeek at the end cause you forgot to add paste

You still have to have something to suck the fluid in the master down to the minimum line before compressing the caliper pistons back in, so why not? You've already got the wheels off for easy access to the bleeder screws. You're supposed to replace brake fluid every 3-5 years anyway since it's hydroscopic and lowers its boiling point as it takes in moisture.

a jelly donut

Just a massive onigiri

>get ceramic pads
Why ceramic?
>take off wheel
Steering wheel? Wheel wheel? Do I jack the car up first?
>take off two screws on back of caliper
No screws found on the back of my caliper
>pull off caliper
Don't you mean "raise up"? You want me to actually completely unmount the caliper? Why?
>pull off safety clip (if applicable)
>pull out old pads
>use pic related to push the caliper open
??? Do you mean compress the piston? C clamps don't push things open they compress them.
>do this slowly and pause often so the prake fluid doesnt get fucked
Explain. How will the fluid "get fucked"? How will I know when I've fucked the fluid?
>put on brake pads
How? Anything else you'd like to add here?
>put on the safety clip (if applicable)
>put what you have back on the rotor
>put the two screws in
Again no screws to be found
>put the wheel on
>repeat on the other side

0/10 shit guide. I'm not OP but if I were you would have been very unhelpful.

OP watch 5 different Youtube videos and then decide if you want to do it. I have not seen one video that covers everything thoroughly so you should watch several.

How to get a wife like this?

Front pads are a piece of cake, especially if it's a floating caliper(pistons only on one side). Rear's are harder if you have disk brakes because most of the parking brakes on rear disk setups use a screw to force the piston into place, requiring a special adapter for a specialty tool to avoid breaking the screw and effectively demolishing your calipers. Drums are childs play. Also, if your calipers are floaters and one pad is worn more than the other, you have stuck caliper slides.

extremely easy, watch a few youtube videos, you really only need a socket set and a cheap tool to push the piston back in and you're set. Just don't buy cheapo pads like I did, 2 months in they're squeaking like fuck and produce a lot of brake dust, now I gotta buy another set so I don't go ape shit hearing those squeaks.

drums are NOT childs play lol they're overly complicated for no fucking reason, I would never own a car with drums ever.

There's a few johnson rods engaging your mom though

if u get ceramic pads you need better calipers

A fish-eyed gook eating a big ball of shit? Go to any poor asian country and tell them you're a foreigner

wowo what a qutie

you're either retarded or a faggot, maybe both.

autists in Veeky Forums now too?

The fucking logic on this board flushing brake fluid is so goddamn easy and it's probably blacker than tyrone

Honestly the logic on this board baffles me

OP here, I didn't know my thread was still alive. You guys gave me a lot of confidence, I might change my brakes tomorrow by myself! I remember when I fell on the /g/ memes and built my own PC and installed gentoo, it isn't hard if you're not retarded and know to follow instructions. I only need to buy some silicone grease, a piston pressing tool and hex bits (thanks Ford).

I'll keep you updated

You can use an old brake pad and a c clamp instead of a piston compressor

I don't have a c-clamp. I was raised by a single mother and my home had zero tools until I got my car and got interested in wrenching.

Well, whichever's cheaper wherever you go to buy this stuff then.

it's not hard, I changed rotors and pads in about an hour. very simple.

now they squeak like a motherfucker though, not sure what I did wrong maybe shitty autozone pads. oh well.

You've clearly not been working on cars long if you think that you can simply use a c clamp on any set of brakes.
If you can use a c clamp you can just use a screw driver against the rotor, or a pair of sliding pliers.

If it was one of the calipers that needed the cube the screw it back in then the piston compressor he was gonna buy wouldn't have worked anyway

>He doesn't know what stubpiloted wheels are
>He doesn't know that studpiloted wheels have left and right hand threads depending on what side of the vehicle they are on
>he was installing his lugnuts incorrectly since he owned the car
>The previous owner probably installed the lugnuts wrong when he owned the car
>Driving around in a literal rolling deathtrap with wheels that could fly off at any moment

Congrats you're not qualified to change a tyre, amerifat I presume?

First ever maintenance I did. It's basically watching a video and then unscrewing shit, slotting shit in, and putting the screws back. Honestly, putting the wheel back n and screwing the nuts on in the right order was the most complicated part. And even that took no brainpower at all.