/dsg/ - Demon's/Dark Souls General

Karla is best waifu

>1.14 patch notes
store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/1876157984141980396

>Discord-sponsored event
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScKzpuOdtJXeAb-4EoXlKN0cd9uDXNtzfVZmsIZgUNcFe3r7g/viewform?usp=sf_link

>Ringed City items checklist
pastebin.com/724E2jEB

>Character Planner
mugenmonkey.com/

>DARK SOULS 3
docs.google.com/document/d/1u8Mak1goSv4g73g16XsWV4sJelDQUatWkP2kcO6GVAA/pub

>DARK SOULS 2
pastebin.com/CAx8Yc8v

>DARK SOULS
pastebin.com/eNY3su63

>DEMON'S SOULS
pastebin.com/RjpF5s7a
imgur.com/a/eSXdv/layout/grid

>BLOODBORNE
pastebin.com/WdLBWD8n

>KING'S FIELD
pastebin.com/G8zw0sc3

>Community & Fanart
pastebin.com/vVWz9pJm

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OS8ZD6RGNqs
pastebin.com/gZXRqvPx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There is a new WA swap glitch out boys!

youtu.be/OS8ZD6RGNqs

Dragonsis is unwelcome here.

We live humble lives. Leave us be!

But Garl: Dragonsis is a faithful knight too!

t. black phantom garl vinland

Can we finally use the RKSS WA with the Firelink Greatsword?

Is there anyone with Tailbone Short Sword here on PC? Wanna trade something?

I have finally beaten ds2 softs, all bosses including optional and dlcs were defeated, without summoning phantoms and only using melee.

This game is awful, holy crap. A whole bunch of great moments, but the rest of the experience left such a sour taste in my mouth, I vow to never touch shitty areas like frigid outskirts or the tomb before the graverobbers ever again.

I'll make another playthrough, to see what other things i can do in certain areas, but that will be all for ds2.

Post weapons you've never used and probably never will

>without summoning phantoms and only using melee
You say that like it's something to be proud of.

Woah... so this is the experience... of township pvp
How the fuck do I get better at this shit

it's still better than dark souls 3

N-NANI?

mantioned it before someone complained about me summoning people, but looks like i can't please everyone, am I right?

>requires 18 str, 18 dex, 12 int and 12 faith for some fucked up reason
>A fire-ry weapon which doesn't do pyromancy

>shitty areas
>frigid outskirts
>the tomb before the graverobbers

what?
those are literally two of the best areas of the game

If you want to complain about DS2, point at the shaded woods after the fog section, or brightstone cove before the spider church. Those two are the most egregiously awful.

Play on 0 brightness, use torches, don't level up for scaling (level up for equip requirements instead) burn bonfire ascetics to get better equipment and go take alternate paths. If you don't like an area, just skip it. Most of the game is optional.

DS2 has the most replay value, the best build variety, and is the most rewarding for planning ahead. I also like the lore better than DS1 or DS3's, but that's personal taste.

Finished my pure arcane(no stats into str/dex/blood) bloodborne run, need some fun ideas for the das2 walkthrough, how are pure archers with only dagger for melee?
Shame das3 is such a shit game

I always wanted to try it on a dex build but it got nerfed completely into the ground. The high crit was one of the only things it had going.

Also the WA is pls-parry-me central.

>warping all over the map
>backstabs you from the front
>mutual backstabs
>DS1 "pvp"
learn to abuse lag and backstabs

is the new power within worth using/investing 5 soul levels to get 10 fth/int/att for?

is aldrich supposed to be hard?

>it doesn't have the Fire Witch's "lmao here's an explosion right under your feet" attack as a weapon art

yes

Does ANYONE here use the Drang Hammers?

Ive used them for pvp, and holy fuck I love them. but for PVP I cannot do anything for fucking shit. How the fuck do duel with these things?

I've read this before, you can't fool me with copy pasted arguments, I also didn't say that those two were the only ones i detested, but those were the highlights of terrible level design.

But I'll fucking bite

>Play on 0 brightness, use torches.
Softs has proper lighting, i did use torches most of the playthrough

>don't level up for scaling (level up for equip requirements instead)
That makes no sense, i used a few different weapons this playthrough, including heavy and small weapons, in one way or another my stats would scale with the weapons.

>burn bonfire ascetics to get better equipment and go take alternate paths.

I did burn some ascetics, but mostly to replay some bossesand get some effigies... because guess what? Like literal shitstains on the game, certain areas ate away my effigies.

>If you don't like an area, just skip it. Most of the game is optional.

I did not play the game to crusethrough it, iexplored every area, no skipping or glitching, i looked for every path without looking up for guides, rheard every npc and tried to follow quests, just because it's optional doesn't mean i wont play it... and not playing an optional part of the game shouldn't be a good thing.

I'm starting a bow only run, and I've heard that composite is better than Pharis bow in terms of damage. So I should be ditching pharis once I get composite.Are greatbows actually any good in this game yet?

>.Are greatbows
What game?
Worthless in the das3 against everything and normal bows are worthless against bosses
In das and das2 are viable

pastebin.com/gZXRqvPx

Forgot image.

this:
The backstab lag/glitch abusing in DS1 is so overwhelmingly powerful that using any other strategy is an uphill battle.

I am the sexiest

DS3
Was hoping to have a heavy hitter in my corner. Guess I'll off hand a crossbow with exploding bolts.

>Softs has proper lighting, i did use torches most of the playthrough

Then you missed out on half of the level gimmicks. The game's lighting was designed for using a torch and about 3/4ths of every level has some torch mechanic.

>That makes no sense, i used a few different weapons this playthrough, including heavy and small weapons, in one way or another my stats would scale with the weapons.
DS2 scaling is flat, not % based on the weapon. So there's no real true "str" build or "dex" build because low AR str weapons benefit more from the same scaling as high AR str weapons, etc. You basically completely gimped yourself on build variety and damage by leveling up to 40/50 on anything that isn't a min-max damage build.

>I did not play the game to crusethrough it, iexplored every area, no skipping or glitching, i looked for every path without looking up for guides, rheard every npc and tried to follow quests, just because it's optional doesn't mean i wont play it... and not playing an optional part of the game shouldn't be a good thing.

That's fine, but don't complain about forcing yourself to go through an optional area like frigid outskirts just because you don't like it.

post ur guys

>177344080
what do you consider a "good" game then?

people who like visual story and "OMG SO COOL" moments tend to like DS1/DS3 more. DS2 is more about the mechanics and all the player agency, it plays more like a true RPG/dungeon crawler, less like an ARPG/melee combat game. More of a focus on content, replay ability, build variety, resource management, and ambitious design.

>all that mismatched white
ewwwww

Anyone? PLease?

Painting Guardian and Fire Witch are both underrated sets. Everybody just wants to look like an edgelord in the Fallen Knight armor.

Veeky Forums contrarianism out in full force to defend dark souls 2

Nah, DS2 is the worst souls game. But it does some things better than DS1/DS3 and is still beter than 99% of games out there.

It's not contrarianism, it's about informing idiots /shitters who don't think and just hate the entire game because they don't like how it's different and circlejerk to hating it.

Is their a translation of this beautiful piece my good sir?

I don't get what so replayable about DaS2. More than half of the levels in the base game are shit.
>Wow I can finally replay black gulch, except this time I'll do it before the other primal bonfires

>invading Irythill
>+7 greataxe, level 52
>two-shot mages

"lmao who needs vit and vig"

Is the repeating crossbow good yet?

i don't feel like many of the criticisms of DaS2 are valid since they can almost always be applied to DaS/DaS3 but aren't for some reason, it seems to me like a lot of people played the game and personally didn't enjoy it and rather than accept its not to their taste they try to hide their disliking behind le game design arguments to make it seem like their personal preferences have some objective basis

this can be seen clearly in the most common criticism of DaS2; that most enemies in the game attack you in groups, there's almost no 1 on 1 fights in DaS/DaS3 that aren't boss fights or mini bosses, yet it didn't bother people in those games

i think das2 is a good game despite its very obvious flaws, for me das3 is the opposite; it's a very obviously well put together game that just isn't fun to play

Few questions re: a long overdue project of mine:

A. If I wanted to do a Souls machinima (not SFM animations), what game would be best and what would the best tools be (i.e. binoculars, bows with the HUD turned off or straight up just mods to make the player invisible)?

B. Besides cheat engine and shit, I've heard about the dev version of Dark Souls on PC and that you can apparently do free camera in it. Is that easy to get a hold of via torrent?

C. DaS 3 has rings/the capability somehow for me to have all players in one world appear as red/blue/white/purple/etc. phantoms, correct?

D. Are there any sort of tools for the PC versions that let you mess with the maps/create or move new geometry (for any of the games)? It'd be ideal if I could use something like Kalameet's Arena but put some objects in there that weren't before.

Still can't decide how I want to do this. Was going to recreate the first episode of RvB as a visual test (recorded all the dialogue with different language to fit Souls a while back, did all the post-processing to get the same vocal sounds through helmets as From does, whole thing sounds great but has no video track).

>low level has more build variety!

I like it, leg armor matches up suprisingly well with the chest plate

But the combat in 2 is the worst in the entire series.

Did you every play pure sorcerer?

Epic fatality animations dude so good

>is the worst in the entire series.
DaS3 exist

i don't feel like vitality is worth any investment unless you're using ultra weapons, personally, but i think vigor investment is kind of mandatory in pvp
i don't really know what you mean about people trying to find an objective basis for criticisms. for example, a lack of creativity and over use of "mob" type encounters is a valid criticism of ds2, but there's nothing wrong with liking those kinds of encounters or not being bothered by the enemy placement. supporting your opinions with facts isn't the same as claiming objective truth in your feelings.

das3's combat is literally mash r1 or mash roll

anyone who has tailbone short sword on PC? Wanna trade something?

everyone finds different bosses hard

the variablility is insane

>PC
Just fucking hack into your inventory

Are we still where we have to "defend" Dark Souls II?

Even if you think it's the worst Souls game, it was still one of the best games to come out in 2014. I hated the PVP and other than co-op didn't really replay it a whole lot at all but the worst Souls game is still a great game.

What this guy said, save swap DaS III and II(DaS>DeS [powergap] DaS2>DaS3 for me personally).

It's not enough to analyse and point out unnecessary or stupid changes, sometimes they just deem all of them bad. While I still feel like I would have preferred another 5-6 expansions to Dark Souls instead of any sequel and don't really feel most changes were necessary, I understand why certain changes were made/which audiences they were made for.

> More of a focus on content

The level design is pretty shit most of the time though and so are most of the bosses.

R1-L2-R2 is a true combo that can do upwards of a thousand damage. It's one of the nastiest in the game. But the short range and no HA makes landing hits tough. I love the maraccas, but I found myself relying on the WA's range to land hits in PvP.

Changing up which path / primal bonfires you go after first completely changes your progression choices in the game. Also, because upgrade equipment is restricted in early game, you generally always end up with a different "best" weapon each time you play.

Then there's bonfire ascetics, which turn trivial bosses into actual challenges, and depending on the type of build you're going for you have completely different ascetic options.

Because of the shrine of winter, also, it's not just a sequence break but you can actually end up playing 3-4 different games where you never actually beat the same bosses before drangleic.

On top of that, most of the weapons are entirely viable for pve and differences in type/resistances are large enough that having a different element does change which bosses are hard vs easy.

Compare that to DS1 where you are constantly funneled into using the winged spear / uchi / zwei / claymore and the most sequence breaking you can do is shuffling around some of the early game boss order.

No.

Millwood Greatbow is awesome, don't listen to him.

Where do you want to meet up?

fair enough, i think it's a great game but worst of the souls games. more than being "bad" it was a disappointment.

I don't know that the white ring is in dks3 but just have the host "film" instead of a phantom, if that's what you're implying, cos I don't see why it's a problem otherwise unless you need 5 people on screen at once.

>translation
>One job
>JUST

But he has a point about the level design. It really damages the "choose your path" thing.

high wall, password can be luu

DaS1 early game had fun levels so replaying it is fun. DaS2 is a slog.

>turn trivial bosses into actual challenges
All it does is just add more HP/damage to bosses. The non-dlc bosses are still crap.

DaS2 replayability is a buffet selection of crappy levels, of which only FOFG, bastille and wharf have interesting level design.

There's a lot more of them. Think about all the useful items in DS2 that don't exist in DS1, the fact that there are twice as many areas and bosses, there are twice as many weapons, and they made every weapon class viable on every stat distribution. That shit is cool, even if you don't care about customization.

Can you see it or?

It does. The greataxe user is fucking married to his weapon pool at low level.
Mages are fucking married to magic stats and have to be squishy to accomodate.

120fags are fags. Having the softcap in more than vig and one offensive stat means everyone just gets to do whatever they want whenever they want.

you might have to place down a red soapstone sign.

I feel like it always boils down to DS2 is not a good DS game, but is ok on it's own.

Whether you like it or not, it does a lot of stuff just slightly different enough from DS1 to be annoying.

>starting classes are weak and often lack proper equipment
>nice weapons and armors are all way too far for first timers
>ADP and rolls
>soul memory
>no real red orb
>slow parry animation, gotta wait for the other to fall on it's ass
>early zones are simultaneously easy and a chore
>estus and life gems

/dsg/, is power within good? i MUST know

If level design is all you care about, go play DeS, not DS2. We're talking about replay ability, you can't say "Well I care about something else that the game doesn't do well, therefore the game" that's not an argument against the replay ability.

Also a lot of DS3 levels are literally just as bad as DS2 levels but with shortcuts back to the bonfires instead of being completely linear

Didn't know that was thing but cool

Yeah no, that's fine. I respect your opinion. Same goes for me in that DaS III does some things better than DaS II and the others.

Both disappointed me immensely in different ways but "bad" is not the word I'd ever use. "Weaker" is more apt.

The main thing is just that Dark Souls is honestly one of the greatest games ever made. I played DeS first and honestly, in hindsight I don't even care that the latter half of DaS is unfinished in contrast. I kind of want to make an analogy to a completely different type of game with Jet Set Radio and JSRF. That is to say that both devs made a great game and then made a spiritual successor rather than a direct sequel and tried in a sense to redo what they'd already done but truly nail it (and past patch 1.06+Oolacile, nail it they did). I never expected any sequel to either in the first place, nor did I want one (and still feel DaS II should have had a different prefix, with DaS III being II if anything) or expect something to surpass either DeS/DaS but that doesn't mean I didn't have a blast with them.

thanks Mr.Ashen One!

I'd like I best if it spanned across all 3, especially to make use of the various gestures.
Doesn't really matter
Yes for white/host in ds2/3. In 1 you can cheat that with no repercussion
Probably the debug you mentioned, bit afaik it has no online

It's always a case where DS2 has flaws but the flaws are never enough to make it a "bad" experience, unless you expected it to be DS1 2.0 instead of DS2.

/dsg/'s whole thing is being hyperbolic about little things and using that to justify their opinions. DS2 suffers because it means they have a list of "little things" they can use to make sweeping statements about the whole game.

They played it, didn't understand it, wasn't what they expected, but they -couldn't figure out why- so they started listing little confusing details as justification, instead of looking at the game as a whole.

The additional stamina regen is actually pretty noticeable, but outside of that pleasant surprise it's pretty shit. Projectile heal being good might make it more useful, but it just has such a short duration people will just kite you for free damage.

np

As a whole it's still worse than the other games.

The "phenomenon" effect of DS1 becoming so popular on PC platforms is a huge reason why people have nostalgia goggles for it.

If DS1 was PS3-exclusive I doubt it would have been nearly as big of a deal in the US. It would have been a moderately successful (maybe 1m copies sold) fantasy ARPG, alongside all the other fantasy ARPGs released at the time.

S O U R C E?????????

>pc is the reason for DaS's success

lmao fuck off

Which game?

In the first Dark Souls it's literally one of the best pyromancies. If you're a dragonbro, the torso damage boost+power within can make a weapon you've applied resin to deal damage as though you've got DMB/SLB/CMW on it.

It's also a really great spell to use in tandem with the Red Tearstone Ring, since it'll naturally activate it at some point in the fight, and I believe with the Sanctus and a low enough amount of health in general you can get it to just hover right around there instead of killing you.

Wow guys you sure are telling me why my experience in the game wasn't awful by showing me how bad the other games were. That will surely change my opinion!

Why did Zully want to trip up Alva?

3, sorry.
what about for PvE?

That's not an excuse to ignore all the good things it does better than DeS/DS1/DS3.

It's only a "worse" game overall because of the low production quality and problems with its development. But most of the individual changes it made to DS1 were straight improvements that carried on to DS3, and the different design philosophy it has appeals more to certain people.

never have, dont think ill ever be fucked to

I do agree about the item placement thing. A lot of of dark souls 2 encounters are eaiser if you use consumeables and the game activly encourages the player to use them(by giving you a shit ton). Dark souls 3 also does really well, but at the same time managed to have more elegant AND challenging enemy encounters compared to dark souls 2 spammy encounters.

An ilustrated comparison would be the Royal Swordsmen gank in the Bastille versus one encounter after the Dragon barracks bonfire.

The royal swordsmen gank got a lot of hard hitting enemies, with decent amount of health and they are all the same enemy type. There is also little space to fight initally and you have to be fast to spot the bigger space. It also has some explosives to help with the fight. All of this gives a decent challenge, but not in a very elegant way.

Dark souls 3 manages to create the same dangerous scenario, but with only 4 enemies. That one encounter after the dragon barracks bonefire got two big hollows with big weapons, 1 crossbow hollow and 1 hollow above that throws lloyd talismans at you. This encounter can be just as dangerous, but it is done in a much more elegant way.

Dark souls 1 also have a lot of very dangerous scenarios where there is only a few enemies(sometimes even 1 like in Sens). This is what dark souls 1 and 3 does better than 2. I enjoyed the challenge in all the games though.

I tried playing with a great axe and it was so fucking boring.

Oh shit, nice weapons my man.

Don't fall too hard for the backstabs meme. It isn't that the meme is wrong, but that being really thirsty for backstabs is the easiest way to end up getting backstabed.

>Three R2s in a row
???

>that discussion two threads ago about the Pontiff K***hts
Wew /dsg/ I thought you guys were better than that.
Why are people struggling with those when all it takes is not being a retarded faggot?