Are manuals just the automotive fedora?

>Yeah. It controls better and is more fun. It's not something that any idiot could drive. Manuals demand more intelligence. Nothin' personal, automatcs.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-mdivision-dualclutch-gearbox-dead-on-water-20170418-gvndyw.html?trackLink=homePageNews8
youtube.com/watch?v=SiCdiwcEYME
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A better analogy is that an automatic transmission is like a bicycle with training wheels. A manual transmission is a bicycle without training wheels.

no

i like manual better because sometimes I don't like the lag with automatics shifting down arbitrarily when I need it to even if it might be faster anyways compared to having to clutch.

i also hate manuals because it takes effort to be smooth with gear changes. I basically have to ride the clutch for a couple seconds if I want to shift between 1st and 2nd.

> Manuals demand more intelligence. Nothin' personal, automatcs.

Nobody says that. Even my mother who can't install an app in her phone by herself drives manual like a champ. She's 54 and learn to drive at 47.

>Manuals demand more intelligence. Nothin' personal, automatcs.
who the fuck says this? it has nothing to do with intelligence anyway, its hand/foot coordination.
automatics are more like apple computers. it just works. but when it goes wrong it's gonna cost a fuckton to fix.
whereas manuals are like windows. requires a bit more user input and there are more cheap spare parts than you can wave a stick at.

i honest to god feel like a huge hazard on the road when driving an automatic. i really struggle to pay attention to whats going on

Do you send messages through the post office or through email?
Do you make long calculations with a calculator or write it down on paper?
Do you wash your clothes on a washboard or throw it in a machine?

>manual requires more intelligence
I'd rather focus driving instead of adding an distraction for nothing.

I just prefer manual transmission, why is this so hard for people? I think autos are boring, and I think choosing the auto because it's faster on paper is bench racer bullshit. If it's all about being faster than I hope you're ready to give up on driving entirely because there's already self driving cars that are as fast or faster than talented professional race car drivers. If I wanted just be along for the ride I'll go get on some rollercoasters. How can anyone call themselves a car enthusiast but not actually enjoy driving? Why don't you discover the joy of learning a skill and practicing to get better, rather than leaning on proverbial crutches to do the driving for you?

>people actually fucking responding to this garbage

Apple computers are like sequential dogboxes. Being UNIX, it's the same simple mechanics underneath, but the interface is less confusing until you get into more complex use cases like clutchless downshifting (how do I not grind dogs?). As evidenced by 12 year old girls riding dirtbikes, anyone could use one.

Synchromesh H pattern manuals are like linux. It bear resemblance to older transmissions and shifters, but inside the box is a shitfest of complete garbage that only slows you down. A lot of people have a bit of trouble using one over a sequential because of an additional layer of complexity that doesn't need to fucking be there.

H pattern dogboxes are UNIX. Here be hardasses.

Automatic transmissions are windows. It just werks and is the just werks choice of 99% of the world.

iOS is a CVT. It just werks until it dies in 4 years. Android is a DCT. It's amazing according to superficial reasons and beloved by vapelords, but bloated as fuck and a horrid overcomplicated thing in practicality.

Manual takes effort, not intelligence.

A monkey could drive stick with enough practice.

I like manuals. They're a lot of fun on the weekend and stuff. I don't want to daily one, though.

What terrible analogy do you really have this much difficulty with H pattern transmissions?

if you do, then the four speed automatic might be for you

it's worse than every other option in every single way

Everyone I know drives stick and missed gates and poorly timed shifts due to drifting through neutral every shift are occasional problems for all of them. It's not a user friendly design.

automatic is for when you want to go from point A to B

manual is for when you want to have fun.

This coming from a europoor who learned to drive with manual shitboxes and now is a wageslave with a bmw with automatic shift.

If you need an auto for just going from A to B you were never good at driving manual. It's not pure muscle memory to you and you should add it to the list of things you just have no talent for.

There's no shame in that. A lot of people just have no talent for things they enjoy otherwise.

Why are manualcucks so passive aggressive? Seriously, it's like some weird phenomenon

>manualfags

So the solution is obviously a CVT.

There's no aggression in telling you that you suck because sucking at things is an inoffensive fact of life. Most people don't just suck at stick, they suck at driving, period, can't do it for long periods of time without making too many errors to be considered safe or proficient drivers, and will soon in a boat next to yours saying "self driving EV for A to B, manually driven cars are for weekend fun only".

You want to be shit on? Here you go. If you're offended by being told that you aren't michael fucking schumacher and find that "passive aggressive" you need to grow the fuck up.

>It's not something that any idiot could drive.
uhh

saying you need to be smart to drive stick is like saying you need to be smart to play basketball

>I like manuals. They're a lot of fun on the weekend and stuff. I don't want to daily one, though.
That doesn't make any sense. Is it, like, a hardship for you to shift gears?

Any primate with 4 limbs can safely drive a manual. Anybody saying otherwise is a retard.
The thing with manuals is it requires involvement, and most people, just don't give two shits about "connecting" with their car.
To most people a car is an appliance, just like an oven, it only serves one purpose.

I just like the control over a car in a manual.

My coworker has an automatic Kia soul and the fucker can never find the gear I want. It's always either on too high of a gear or it downshifts while I'm maintaining a constant rate of speed because I lifted off the pedal for whatever reason. I end up using that whatchamacallit that lets you upshift or downshift by clicking the stick up or down.

I don't claim to be faster or better with a manual, I just like that I can select the gear that works for not just what I'm doing, but what I'm about to do.

I guess if you have a computerized automatic that memorizes your driving patterns and adjusts accordingly it's alright. But 9/10 automatics ive driven are never on the same page as me.

Plus you can hoon in a manual.

>It's not something that any idiot could drive. Manuals demand more intelligence

Said absolutely no one

Stop being insecure

here in europe manual is the norm in most countries but nobody gives a shit either way, i've driven both and both have their pros & cons, it's all down to personal preference.

when i say i've driven both i mean i like both in equal measure, for me driving is all about the whole car & the road i'm on, not just the gearbox and some internet memery isn't going to change that.

No. I just prefer to relax and cruise when I go to and from work.

How well do the auto-10 transmissions perform?

See? This is literally, exactly what I meant

My auto honda trans was $300 shipped. Easy as piss to install

>I guess if you have a computerized automatic that memorizes your driving patterns and adjusts accordingly it's alright
My Focus does that. Was a bit of a pain while it was "learning", but since I'm the only driver of it, its learned how I drive and reacts almost exactly how I would want it to (95% of the time, at least).
I would still like to get a manual, though. Considering the FoST next, so I won't really get a choice.

>deliver pizzas
>driving my manual car is shit becaue i have to shift like a million times a night

My auto civic gets 40-50mpg who needs a manual

Manuals are good thefts prevention, most googles cant drive manual.

Yes.

Any not-shit automatic in the last 10 years or so you can control the gears anyways. My 5spd auto accord I can manually select 1st/2nd/3rd and that's all that's needed for city driving to not have random shifts into overdrive when approaching a turn.

""""SHIFT DENIED"""""

You and I will be among those that see the world burn when cars drive themselves

Listen. Manuals are dying; automatics are rising. So says the BMW M Division.

drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-mdivision-dualclutch-gearbox-dead-on-water-20170418-gvndyw.html?trackLink=homePageNews8

>It's not something that any idiot could drive. Manuals demand more intelligence.

Take a trip outside america for once, literally everyone else drives manuals.

Oh I remember that from a while ago.

>He said about 450 horsepower (335kW) and 600Nm was more or less the limit of manual-gearbox durability.

This is why you NEVER let marketing do technical talk.

even garbage trucks in europe are manual, it promotes the herd to work as a collective unit

Same can be said for most any dexterous activity.
Telling people riding a bicycle is easy and a monkey can do it won't save face when you can't do it.
If you don't have the muscle memory to double clutch heel toe downshift then you're a failure as a human.
You know when a girl asks you to back her car up because she can't? That's how men feel when you tell them you can't drive manual.

Makes sense in a way. Nobody buys manuals anymore because they're """too hard""" so the companies aren't going to spend any time or resources designing better manuals when 99% will just buy the automatic anyway. It would be wasted effort and money. Daily reminder that normies ruin everything I guess

Do you honestly think that you can't relax in a manual?
Driving a manual isn't constant shifting.

>It's not something that any idiot could drive
It's like moving your legs when walking, you can learn it in minutes.

>DCT
>Best of both worlds.

Manuals literally BTFO. Just an hero now and make way for the DCT master race.

Only a American can make such an pathetic thread. Here in Germany especially women chose the automatic option, guess why? Because they suck at driving. Same counts for amerifats.

Manual does exactly what you want when you want, I can't fucking stand automatics. Sluggish floppy shitboxes

Nobody buys manuals anymore because nobody makes them anymore. Most of those 8-9 speed cars have flyover gears in them and if a person was in charge then he would have shifted though all 9 gears instead of skipping some.

Americans are just too lazy to use a manual because their hands are so fat and greasy.

Everyone in europe in the city or a road that is not interstate have to drive a limit of 80 kph, city is 40 kph, and Parking lots 20 kph. If it were converted to miles then Americans would otherwise go 15kph over the speed limit daily but Canadians will never speed at their 80kph highway limit because they are as much globalist cucks as the Europeans.

>It's time for School Timmy! Get off the computer and get over to the bus stop!

They're Americans. It's some big accomplishment to be able to drive stick like an 18-year old European girl.

Purest form of autism right here

>manuals fade into obscurity
>only boomers and fags on this board will care
O am laffin

/Thread

Lmao, it's not a distraction, I feel so much more focused on daily driving or autoX when I'm anticipating shifts and really feeling and controlling the car... What a shit opinion you have

loik i gib a fug m8

ill be out here on the touge in my slow ass shitbox pretending im a race car driver while barely doing 80mph

>Manuals demand more intelligence. Nothin' personal, automatcs.
thats only something false flagging busriders say.
Its 100% muscle memory and you don't notice yourself doing it even if you double clutch heel toe rev match through all the gears

>boomers
>caring about manuals
>when they buy automatic Corvettes by boatloads

>only people who like manuals, driving and gt86 are a small minority on an anonymous chinese hacker board or half way to their graves

I bet you have fastlaps.com bookmarked you cock sucking cuck

>we have hit a point in time where people refer to those who know how to drive and/or prefer a standard transmission as "manualfags" yet still consider themselves car enthusiasts

jesus christ times have changed

i remember when you had to know how to drive stick to be considered a part of the car community

what happened

random busriders on Veeky Forums are not car community.
In real life people will take you less seriously for auto unless your car is hard as fuck to get in manual

Automatic is the Fedora transmission because it allows you to tip your Fedora.

Yes
/thread

>You'll never be with this crew dawg.
Underage poster detected.

>subarufags.gif

This. Can't say it any better myself.

Sage

and it even work in Europe
youtube.com/watch?v=SiCdiwcEYME