/CCG/ - Classic Car General: BTW

Behind The Wheel (BTW) edition.

Don't be afraid to drive it.

Classic shitbox > modern shitbix

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, shopping carts not so much.

>Everybody has their own taste, either if it's of age or rarity. Liquor, too.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your clearing stick, and get advice

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, even Cyrus' fuckin' Corvette

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality, Canadian or American.

>Rust is a bitch, and not for the faint of heart; tread lightly and carry a rum and coke

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins

Other urls found in this thread:

4lo.com/calc/gearratio.php
4lo.com/calc/gearmetric.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Im taking my firebird on it's first roadtrip today, after installing a horn finally. pls no break

What's a good first classic car, with some modern day merits that hasn't been affected by huge boomer bubble. Really everything semi neat has gone over the moon and back pricewise.

Located in Europe btw. Only thing I can think of is a e36. But that isn't really a classic. Yet, perhaps. Or an e34, but that is just a wallet buster waiting to happen.

>€3000 budget for purchase
>first classic car
>easy to wrench on
>reasonable parts availability
>some modern day merits
>some form of joie de vivre.

Postan while I wait On my Manual and save for either floor pans or wheels...

Which one should I get first?
I'll still need to access the brake lines to replace them, so should I take that into account?

Need ID on this HotWheels.

Got it from a park.

Side shot, if that helps.

Coronet super bee

M A N T A
A
N
T
A

>M A N T A
Fair shout

Didn't think of that. Any others I probably didn't think of?

Not mine in the picture, but 1989 Pontiac Formula 350. Mine is still in the restoration process.
Runs and drives just fine, just needs cosmetic work. Interior and exterior.
>Heavily oxidated hood and roof paint
>Headlight motors broke so the headlines are stuck up 24/7
>rips in the interior, going to get some seat covers probably later today
>cracked on top of dash
>spoiler is a cracking in spots
>cassette player wont play (AAAAAAAAAAA)
>speakers going out
I've got no clue on how to fix the oxidized paint. I'm referring to these white ring shapes, which google has led me to believe it oxidation.

Thank you.

Put some Meguiar's Ultimate Black on all the plastics under the hood, the bumperettes, the dash, the trim on the a pillars, and doors yesterday.

I fucked up with that picture. Said it was too big to upload, so I tried to just save the thumbnail. Fuck. Don't know how to post the full size one.

This outta be better. Polite sage for spamming.

I'm surprised that you found that one in a very good condition. The center part of the front wheels look rusted but also looks like it's held up well. I can only guess a kid stole it from a Hotwheels collector.

are you me?

They're pretty cool. I'd avoid anything British or Italian on principle for an older car. Other options would be an old clio sport model or a gti. You probably can't afford insurance and upkeep on a fun be classic because >yurop but maybe consider a fun Sierra or anything used for rally. Anything jap that is fun is always a good idea as well.
>Or get a Corsa an chav it out

Same problems? They must age the same way.
Mine was just from the heat and the sun really.
Is that an after market paint? I'm not an expert on these, but I've been lurking around on thirdgen. org and my paint seems to be called flame red.

Do the floor pans first.you wont Flintstone on the highway.

The thought of the floor falling out while driving is fucking horrifying, especially on a freeway.

>le Italian and British cars are bad meme
Keeping jerking off those passionless shitbarges though

stop posting on Veeky Forums spectyte

>1970 F100
>302
>Autolite 2100
Put compression tester on all 8 cylinders and they all read 90~95 PSI. They're pretty even all things considered, but there was oil fouling on every single one too. Originally had thought it was a leaky valve cover, but this time there's no oil dripping down so it has to be via the chamber. Truck runs pretty smooth, it wasn't powerful from the factory so no clue if it's actually lacking anything since it's going to be a dog even if it isn't. Plugs have ~500 miles on them maybe.

Any ideas? Reason for compression test was because of the fouling, hard to imagine all 8 cylinders being equally dicked but it's not impossible either. Was smoking a bit on heavy acceleration, but I had chalked that up to an oil leak at the pressure sender that I have since remedied and haven't tried it again.

Thanks in advance.

You do know I own an Italian shitbox right? I wouldn't even begin to want to fuck with Lucas electric or a positive ground or a vintage Italian car as my primary and only classic vehicle.

Your rings are fucked

Posted in last thread, but its killed now.

Got news back from the shop, turns out the carb was fucked and was causing all the smoking. So im paying them to fix that while i fix the rest of these issues. Never thought id be so happy to see problems.

Is the speedo that inaccurate that it had to guess that you're going somewhere between 70 and 80?

No it's factory paint afaik. I've seen pictures of ones this color and it has factory decals

DANGER TO MANIFOLD

It seems like I've seen that shade before when looking at pictures.
Helvete.

I want to say its the point is where you are speed wise but I am probably wrong.

>Mike Musto's monte carlo got nigged

Drove 10 hours back home to go to back in the bricks in Flint.
Spent 200$ on gas
Any Michigan anons here

Id assume its the bottom part that shows actually speed. Mine is off by 3 at 30mph easy enough to remember, and havent taken it past 45/50 yet.

Went to 45-50 yesterday, had my air vents flushed out, and leaves went all over my new carpets. But my vents are open finally. I want to say my speed is off, but with the 2 speed tranny its hard to tell.

I use a few of the speed traps to gauge how far mine is off at different speeds. When there aren't any cops of course

shit, didn't think about that, i'll try that later.

You can always try the gps on your phone, it's what I did.

Oh, lawd, the OP copypasta. Maybe modifying it to go with that sweet New Yorker in the last thread wasn't such a great idea lol.

Here's what it's supposed to be:

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Edition

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old

>Everybody has their own taste, either if it's of age or rarity

>Post your classic, your work on it, and get advice

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality

>Rust is a bitch, and not for the faint of heart; tread lightly

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions

Ayyyyy

I thought it was funny as fuck last thread, love trailer park boys.

>Dat Charleston 2CV

Fuck I love those cars so much.

Jesus. I need to slow down. This is 4 days worth of shit

Me too

Also fuck off, Randy

You first big boy

Done ;)

Well shit. I pulled the heads off the 289, standing water in 2 cylinders. At least it looks like its from being outside, not a problem when it was in a car, i was planning on a complete teardown anyway. Nephews finger.

After this whole incident with the dickhole at the glass shop I'm kind of burned out. Put the fury up for sale and considering selling the TC as well unless I can fix the misfire fast. Sold the jeep for 14.5, so if I sell the TC I'll buy that celica to DD and have ~20k left over to throw at a muscle car. Or just stuff into the bank.

anything I'm missing here when diagnosing misfires? My mechanic is usually pretty nice to me but he doesn't seem too enthusiastic about poking around at the "million-'n-one vacuum lines"

>smoking el chupacabra's cabbage

If that was what you're implying it was, that's a massive fucking nug.

triumph GT6

that fuckin sucks man, at least you can take care of it now before she goes back in.

Should I go this route with the TC if I keep it? There are some Dayton wheels and tires for sale for 800 nearby, might be able to jew him down to 600 or so. Always thought the japanese VIP style was pretty cool

it just looks like one if you squint kek

>RHD Lincoln
WEW

turns out they exist

while I'm the only one up... wut gears do you all recommend in my truck? Slant 6-powered D100 with 3 on the tree. I'm guessing 3.23. Right now it must have some ridiculous tractor gears, you can't shift into 1st unless you're at a standstill, and it sounds like it's going to explode on the highway.

4.10s, duh.

But seriously, it depends on what tire size you run (235/75R15s?) and what your target engine speed is at a target road speed.

Tools:
4lo.com/calc/gearratio.php
4lo.com/calc/gearmetric.php

Top gear will be 1:1, and so will the T-case ratio (just put 1 in the box)

With those 235s, 3.73 gears would put you at 2800RPM at 65MPH. Which is pretty good, actually; you kinda need some power to push that heavy brick around, and 2800 will give you that.

So yeah, 3.73 is the lowest I'd go tbqh famalam. Unless you're somehow running smaller tires, then 3.55s.

oh and the 'fully stopped to get it into first' is normal, first shouldn't be synchronized.

>saging with an image

does my audi 100 get any love from Veeky Forums?

The hatch is longer than mine, but there's something I like about it. What year is it?

I got a Megs clay detailing bar kit and I'm gonna see if I can't take off some of the oxidation. I'll go out and take a pic of the hood as a "before" in a bit.

It's an 84. I can't even get into the hatch lol. The lock is seized up, gonna have to crawl back there and cut the latch. I need to get my paint sorted out somehow... the majority of it is in good shape but the edges are all peeling and there's a bunch of fucked up spots. Probably gonna rattle can the fucked up spots for now, at least it'll be the same color...

Damn, that's funny you mention that because the mechanism on mine wouldn't take the hatch all the way in, so the light would stay on and drain the battery.

That's weird. Yeah all my locks are seized so I can't lock the doors or I won't be getting back in. First day I had it I didn't know, so I locked myself out haha. Thank fuck these cars are easy to break into. Just shove a thin ruler in the door

Do you think it might have something to do with the anti-theft feature? For a while a year or so ago it was preventing mine from starting. Went through a bunch of bullshit trying to figure out the problem, and was told it was the fuel pump. We ended up cutting into the area behind the backseat but not into the trunk to change it, and now I've got to keep the window a little cracked to keep from carbon monoxide fucking me.
Here's the hood as it is. About to give the detailing clay a shot.

Could be. My exhaust doesn't even go back that far lol. Just dumps in front of the doors for maximum gassing

Well damn if that ain't just a little disappointing.

Fuck no, just leave it stock

Name it Zyklon Ben, The one man Holocaust.

>take out plugs
>covered in oily residue

Sure, it's a fine looking car.

First gen Audi 80 B3 is what Im driving. Its a nice feeling to drive a car which was one of the lasts with Manual choke.

Nice one, which engine? Did a test drive with an V8 100 once, damm it was fine car. The seller was a pussy though, which was a shame.

Skoda, Lada, Wartburg, Trabant etc.
>EASILY within your budget
>proper classic cars
>insurance and spare parts cheap af
>fuel efficency is pretty decent due to how tiny these cars and engines are
>about as siple as it gets
>manuals and tons of knowledge on maintenance and fixes available
>decent dailies if/once they're mechanically healthy

This applies Beetles, 2CVs and Renault 4s as well, but finding a decent within your budget might be tricky

Valve covers?

There's lots wrong with this one I think. Or maybe it's just carb tuning (which I have zero experience with so far). Previous owner tuned it to pass emission tests.

>Idle stalls on cold engine really easily, gotta keep choke on for a really long time (manual choke)
>Jerky on light throttle
>Starts up fine first time, if it stalls it gets progressively harder

Runs well when engine gets warm though. No issues other than jerky light gas then which I bet is just carb tuning.

>manual choke
What year is it?

i've got the smallest 5 cylinder, 2.0 liter, 116 bhp.

it is a fine car, at highway speed most modern cars cant compete with is comfyness. just for extra measure i ripped out the interior and put more sound deadening

Looks solid

It's a fun drive, once these issues are fixed. Picture is not of my car but it looks the same, mostly.

I have no motivation to finish my '73 Torino. Should I just sell it?

Oil drip
Thats right, i get to bring it back to life istead of just slapping it into the 64. Gonna feel a whole lot better when its done.

If you finish it, you would get more selling it.

I used to live outside of flint, but I've since moved to SC. Come here user, cheap gas and clean sheet metal await you.

i have a car thats been sitting about 40+- years. motor is free its a 390 bb 4 barrel and doesnt run. it has 91,000 miles. im not able 2 get it rebuilt at the moment, would $1000 be reasonable to acually get it running

why the fuck would you cut the floor to get to the fuel pump dropping at tank is the fucking easiest thing to do

u have 2 cut the exhaust and maybe drop the axle. easy my ass. shop charged me 240 bucks. or cut a hole in the trunk if u wanna fuck it up

Dropping an axle is like 5 bolts and cutting the exhaust requires the purchase of a harbor freight sawzall. It's a way fucking better option than hacking up your damn car. fags like you are the reason i cant find nice 80s cars

im not that guy, i got my camaro fixed right, even tho i didnt do it myself

Man, I'm just tired of people hacking up good cars. Then they use the excuse "its not wurf nuffin thurrrs tuns of em" shits tarded

Best way to do it is to cut a hole and weld in a little door so that shit is way easier to get to next time

i agree with you 100%. years down the road you wont be able to find um

I'm the other, other guy with a turd gen and couldn't agree with you more. I'm paying for Cletus' hack jobs

It was a jackleg fucker who did it, not my decision. I'm completely disgusted even a flake of the original body was touched.

go away cletoris

Ohiofag here. I'm looking for a datsun z, any tips on what to look for? Unfortunately i'm on a shoestring budget (college student) so it will be my daily until I get my cb160 running

buy from a desert state z cars pretty much rotted outta the factory

michigan fag here, dont even try looking up here

Any idea how much shipping a car would be? Not entirely sure I can afford a week off.

Yeah, they are all 5k for what is basically lawn art instead of a car

If you've lost interest then just dump it and move on. Life's too short.

Depends on a lot of things but the cheap carriers can get the price down to around $1000 for coast to coast. May take a while though because it won't be going door-to-door and may languish in a terminal waiting for somebody going your way with other cars going to the same general area. Minor damages are not unheard of too.