Okay, serious question now

Okay, serious question now.

I'm from europe and I'm amazed how drivers from US are obsessed with huge, powerful engines. Why is that? Why would anybody ever need, for example, 350+ horsepower, v8 engine on public roads?

Inb4 butthurt eurofag with small, weak car. I drive an Audi a4 with modified 1.8t engine - almost 200 hp and I think it's way more than enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

allegro.pl/bmw-220xd-f45-active-tourer-08-2016-jak-nowa-swiss-i6887338330.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tradition.

I prefer something that is fun but also efficient and cheap to maintain.

So between V8s and I4s, I'd rather take a V6.

>Remembers I live in a 3rd world shit hole where NA I4s are the norm and any V6 is too expensive to maintain because there is no aftermarket parts.

REEEEEEE

as I am a european myself I feel the need to distance myself from OPs stupid bullshit.

i still hope it is bait tho.

>Why would anybody ever need, for example, 350+ horsepower, v8 engine on public roads?
To pass up cars like yours.

the government has ingrained in you that a shitty 4-cylinder is all you need. a 4-cylinder buzzing at 3000 rpms for hours on end at 75mph is a lot less desirable than a v8 spinning at 2000 or less rpms

>muh taxes
>muh co2

Man, I asked a question out of curiosity, didn't mean to offend anybody, however you took it as an attack (even though I asked US drivers, not Eu). And no, it is not a bait. I'm just curious. Guess I should have expected that some asshole is going to come here with his butthurt though.

Tradition I understand, but cheap? My engine costs like under 200$ used in nice shape. If it fails it's extremely easy and cheap to repair. I would love to have a V6 or V8 for the sound one day, but for now I just don't see the point.

Yeah, it would be easy since I grew out of driving at high speeds and now I just drive safely, you would probably overtake me with a micra or something similar.

adding more cylinders does not necessarily make the engine more complicated unless you are Jaguar, more cylinders deliver smoother power, more torque, and as stated, cruise at lower RPM which is better for the longevity of the machine as well as gas mileage. If you drive a v8 calmly, you will usually achieve better fuel economy than a comparable 4-cylinder driven aggressively.

also they sound cool

That is actually a good point, european co2 emission standards are WAY too strict which results in a lot of cars with really unreliable engines being produced for our markets. I had a modern "clean" diesel engine once... Never again, it was a bitch to drive and a bitch to repair.

>huge
Meme.
>400+ hp
Freedom, fun.

Longetivity depends on the average distance of your trips. A big engine is more likely to shit the bed if you only travel short distances which is more common in Europe.

Well I travel mostly long distances (for Europe, guys from US might think it's not that long), about 500 kilometers a week in that Audi and it's really comfortable - mostly because it's quiet inside (especially compared to two last cars I had - both were diesel), even at higher speeds. I need to try out something with V6 or V8 engine, however with our gas prices I think it would most likely parially ruin me.

I mean American engines might be big but they're fuel efficient for the size. I'd gladly daily a c5 Vette, heard they good mpgees

Test drove a mustand gt 2015 here in switzerland, where diesel and other 1.4l rule.

Jesus christ how fucking comfy smooth the ride was. It was better than our fully equipped e320. Seats were huge (probably to fit the average american girl) and that made it so fucking comfy.
Honestly the lack front camera (bonnet is thunderous huge) and proper exhaust (amg still sound louder) makes me sad. Still has that unique american only rumble goin on and i loved it. Felt like it was beating with my heart.
Oh and the exterior is godlike imho. Really brutish yet elegant. Especially in black.
Looking to buy an US imported one actually. Is the ecoboost also smooth as fuck?

If you get the eb you'll wish you got the GT

powerful motors are great for altitude not all of america is at sea level

Semi trucks are fuel efficient for the weight, but that doesn't make them good daily drivers.

are cars are comfy because some of us do things like drive 1500 miles in one sitting only stopping for gas or to piss or smoke ive done 2 super long distance 24hr drives like that

>hurr lower rpm is so good for gas mileage
And I guess that's why 20 mpg are still an accomplishment in the US while 40 mpg are the norm in Europe?

Damn most used cars in Poland (this is where I live) come from Switzerland and guys... Please don't let polish motherfuckers buy your trashed cars (poles import heavily damaged cars from Switzerland, repair them for cheap and then sell as "almost brand new, low mileage" with HUGE odometer discrepancy when checked by VIN). It's not your fault of course, people here are just plain stupid and when they see a really cheap, almost new car they don't start to suspect anything, they just think they stumbled upon a bargain. And then they end up with a piece of trash.

I dont even know much about cars but im sure this is autistic bullshit.

kek first time I hear about this.
Why trashed cars? Its almost illegal here to even drive a car with a little dent here

That's why. You just don't repair heavily damaged cars. They're being sold for parts, however polish "used car traders" go there, buy some pile of twisted metal for next to nothing and then...

allegro.pl/bmw-220xd-f45-active-tourer-08-2016-jak-nowa-swiss-i6887338330.html - looks like new

Picrel is what it looked like before it was imported to Poland.

This is really what turbo cars are for though. I did have a v8 up in Estes park CO and the the altitude did drop power significantly so I was glad I had some to spare tho

Fuel is cheap, roads are generally wider and less curvy. We have more space to store larger vehicles, v8s are ingrained in our culture and most importantly, because we can.

Oh, and also this one was sold in Poland few months ago as "in great condition, never had an accident". Unfortunately the ad is not there anymore, looks like guy got scared because photos before the repair leaked...

adding more cylinders does indeed make the engine more complicated. two heads vs one, double the cams, double the timing chains, another set of ignition components and injectors

>Why would anybody ever need
>need
It's not a matter of NEED. It's a matter of WANT, and being FREE to get what you WANT.

It happens in central america as well. People buy them at auctions here in USA, they ship them to a lot in El Salvador, backyard shops buy them, patch them up and sell them. You often see newer cars without airbags, lots of welds and ill fitting plastic as well as weird alignment problems, and weird noises.

I lived down there for 2 years, a 'refurbished' car goes for about as much as a untouched car in the USA. They have an import law where you cant import anything older than 8 years. Effectively raising all car prices.

It is why most people take the bus.

>double the cams, double the timing chains, another set of ignition components and injectors
most pushrod V8s have a single camshaft and a single small timing chain, shit only gets fucky when you get into overhead cam engines
not to mention ignition shit was worked out literally decades ago

eurofag with 1 ton japanese veryhandle pushing 150hp.
Your car is poorfag trash and you're stupid.
Your car doesn't handle or do anything a volkswagen can't do. Having power is the only redeeming quality an audi can ever hope to have. Hence why the most coveted audi is a piece of shit wagon for dumb faggots.

If your car handles well you don't need power
If your car is comfy you don't need power
If your car has neither you need power to have a reason why your car exists.

didnt even affect my civics power just made shifting more easier every car ive had that i took to colorado all of them lost power except the honda... its not turbo

>I drive an Audi a4 with modified 1.8t engine - almost 200 hp and I think it's way more than enough
kek, you know they made factory 225hp versions of that engine, right?

Autist alert

VW apologist detected

Not in this model/year.

I actually had three japanese cars before and I bought an Audi because it's in excellent condition, I got it from the first owner who is also my good friend and I bought it cheap. Never wanted an Audi. You on the other hand, are an autist.

>Why would anybody ever need, for example, 350+ horsepower, v8 engine on public roads?

I own a ~325 hp V8 car and I have NO idea why they ever thought that was an acceptable amount

nothing you do with the car is remotely legal. nothing

just touching like 1% throttle feels like a normal car accelerating at WOT. im not exaggerating

the endless amounts of power feels intoxicating. you just know your a real blooded american when that V8 is full tilt

>has a car he considers to be more HP than he needs
>doesn't understand why people want more HP than they need

Makes getting on the interstate easier.

I bought it that way, if it was my choice I would keep it at factory 150 hp which I might do if I choose to.

>my penis is 7" long, why would you ever want one that is 10"

power is necessary for autobahnens ive driven a 09 kia ceed sw 5spd with a puny 1.4l gas engine and it still topped out at 200kmh or 120mph while diesel audis can pull from 120mph like youre standing still at that speed

I meant I might revert it to factory 150 hp, just to be clear, it's not heavily modified.

You do realize that's literally impossible right?

Ok? Nothing you're saying makes what I said any less relevant. My 400 hp V8 still makes it easier to get on the interstate.

If your argument is "do you really neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed that?" the answer is no, I don't. But do you really need a modded A4? You don't need that 200 hp. Why not just have everyone in Europe drive diesel golfs? It would level the playing field.

Your argument is retarded.

i think hondas hp rating is whp i dunno similar to how bmw rates theirs so you get rated hp at altitude or sea level.

To be clear - I am OP, that guy wasn't.

what argument? i didnt have a argument in fact i was in agreement

That wouldn't make a difference, your engine still operates on the same principles as any other, you have less Horsepower at higher altitude than you would a sea level, regardless of what Honda does doesn't rate their engines at.

yeah it lost power but not as much as the auto cars or the turbo car with a stick

Ok there you go, I was just confused because you said it "didn't even affect my civics power level" A minimal difference is still a difference. I wanted to know what kind of miracle compression system Honda used lol

i shouldve said it seemed to not affect it if i didnt

its because your honda runs lean from the factory and higher elevation just enriches the a/fr

its losing power but not as much as a car that runs rich would

also with a manual your keeping it at higher rpm. and hondas are generally geared pretty low from the factory, it all makes them pretty excellent at climbing hills/mountains

(hurr durr japan is an island)

Well if it's a low compression engine it might not affect it nearly as much as a higher compression one

island with mountains

its like 10:8 something k20c motor

thats very high comp

Well then based Honda I guess then. My 1UZ (identical compression) seemed to lose about 10% power at 9000ft

works good at a mile high or up to 8k elevation got better gas mileage as well

Is fun a completely foreign concept to yuros? No big engines, no guns, just piles upon piles of restrictions and regulations.

is my 1st honda so ive been impressed the civic is about the size of a e39 and same speed 0-60 is about the same as a 530i auto rides just like a new e39 that doesnt have fucked up bushings

You don't NEED fun, do you?

I'm glad you like it, it's a good motor from what I hear

Public roads are for moving from one point to another, pieces of shit that want to have "fun" there are the reason people die. Want some fun? Go to the track, pay and have as much fun as you want, this is what I do. Speed limits and law are there not to make lives harder, they are made to save lives.

Oh, and I can easily get a gun in Europe. I even have a license. But I don't want to since all I do is shooting at a range.

on interstates going 80 sometimes 90. was getting 35.8mpg and not through just flat topography but passing through hills like arkansas

not everyone does the same things you do chill out granddad

Lol my v8 will get about 29 highway if you try your hardest, and that's with premium fuel too. Not that great but still pretty good for a 4L from the 90's imo.

Yeah, I'll wait 'til you're at least 20, then we can have this discussion again. Just one question, have you ever been in an accident that completely wasn't your fault?

the e39 was above to get 30mpg at 90 in holland but premium of course i used to think that was such an amazing car until i got a used one that was a piece of shit

quit with the semantics granddad i know fear mongering is all your generation knows because of the red scare

At least I won't ever experience prison rape after I kill someone on the road. Can't say it about you,

youre the one with the subconscious fear of it so im thankful i dont have to drive anywhere near you hopefully

I learned to drive manual on an equally shitty e39 so I know what you mean. I'm a Toyota/lexus fanboy myself but I can respect a good Honda motor

its those stupid bushings and aluminum control arms the car is too fucking heavy for all the lightweight fragile suspension components i still miss having rwd though

Yes rwd is great, I have an sc400 now and while, heavy, it is a great car to drive. You can always do a little lunch tray sliding to get the rear out a bit haha

early 90s toyotas have the smoothest drivetrains too i wish they still made their cars that buttery smooth even their engines feel more coarser than their motors from that era