Ticket Advice (U.S.)

Welp Veeky Forums, today I broke my ticket cherry

I received a ticket for an expired registration sticker (USD 35 dollar fine).

See pic related

Facts:

>Registration expired at the end of July
>I renewed it the day before at the DMV (as I received the new documents)
>I did not remove the old sticker and place the new one on (because my inspection sticker is due at the end of August and I usually have both put on at the same time)
>I ride around with the sticker in my car in case I ever got questioned

I admit I'm a dumbass for not putting the new sticker on (which I promptly did today).

That said, I'm looking for the best advice on how to deal with this ticket. Do I plead not guilty and go to a hearing? Ultimately while I won't like paying the fine, I don't want my car insurance to go up. Also, I'd rather not start a record as I've never gotten a ticket before.

I'm thinking I'll go into the parking violations bureau on Monday with the ticket and my current registration and saying "I was written a ticket for expired registration, but as you can see I did infact renew it". At that point I'm hoping they will void but if not then pleading not guilty and going to a hearing.

>hurrr why didn't you put the sticker on as soon as you got it

Valid question and ultimately I was an idiot. I think I'll say "It wasn't on there but I've since resolved it."

Please advise, thank you

Should be able to show your renewed tag registration, and get out of it.

This.

You're a fucking retard for not just putting the sticker on tho.

thanks, im hoping that will be good enough.

yeah i admit i am a complete moron for not doing it, lesson learned the hard way

Just have to say it was renewed at the time of receiving the ticket you just hadn't put the sticker on yet.

That's a dumb ticket though. see people riding around all the time with registration stickers that expired back in 2015

thanks bud, I'm hoping that will work. And I agree it is dumb as I too have seen people do similar

Say you didn't receive it in the mail until after you got the ticket.

I'm actually waiting for my tags in the mail I've paid for them but I'm worried of getting the same ticket as you lol

I did this too, but they let it go even though they shouldn't have.

>Driving friend's new bmw m4 because he thinks it'll help me get a girl
>Get $500+ ticket for no registration and no insurance
>I go to sheriff's station and show them the registration and insurance for my own car, a toyota
>they charge me like $25 and it's all good.

If you ask the police station and they don't help you out, you can just say "oh sorry I don't have the money today" and go shopping around for a sympathetic officer. Sheriffs might be a better bet.

Red light ticket.
>A trained officer carefully reviews each photo
>Weebshit black cat sticker smiling at him

>Hyundai
>crossover

Get the fuck out of here

A parking ticket is not going to raise your insurance. It won't be reported to the insurance company at all. If $35 is worth your time in court, then do it and it will probably be dropped if you can prove you were registered when the ticket was issued.

Not that guy, but court fee here is like $90 minimum. But I'd go to clear that $35 citation and spend $95 + $12 parking fees doing it because I personally like the feeling of having zero citations on my record. I can't say I am a 4.0 student magna cum laude National Merit Scholar. But at least I can still say I have zero citations. I would at least fight a bit to keep it that way.

And another thing, if you have zero citations, you always know for sure that insurance rate increases didn't use your citation history against you. And just because insurance says they don't use parking citations against you doesn't mean they didn't increase your rates. For example, you might have the $xx discount for having no citations on your record. But that parking citation now removed that discount. So the insurance company is not lying to you when they say parking citations didn't directly increase your rates. The insurance company can also increase rates by "Any citations between 1 and 3 inclusive have +1 units towards rate increase" Any citations between 4 and 10 inclusive have +3 units towards rate increase". So it is true those citations didn't affect your rates. But they caused something else to affect your rates.

Just become a sovereign citizen and ditch all that registration bullshit.

Most courts do not report non-moving violations. Unless you get pulled over in the same county a second time, no prior citation will appear when they go to pull your record.

This. Insurance company's won't know about it at all, because it isn't put on your record.

>pulled over because I didn't have up to date registration sticker
>tell officer the car recently passed inspections but it is my father's car and he still has the sticker
>officer goes back to his computer and confirms the car is proper, sans sticker
>tells me my bike rack isn't good because it makes it hard to read my plate when a bike is on it
>lets me go
Feels good to be white

cant, i received the registration in person at the DMV. If they wanted to, they could check that.

thanks, i will go ahead and defend myself

> I personally like the feeling of having zero citations on my record. I can't say I am a 4.0 student magna cum laude National Merit Scholar. But at least I can still say I have zero citations.

this is my thinking behind it too!

I'm going to check my previous insurance statements and closely monitor new ones as they come in the mail; if any changes I'll get another provider.
I was only ever pulled over once earlier this spring for getting clocked for going over the speed limit. I was able to talk my way out of a ticket and the cop let me off with a warning.

OP, I am not an expert but if your registration was in fact renewed and it was just your sticker that was dated then there is absolutely no reason you should have been ticketed or even pulled over. The sticker is just a visual indicator. The second they run the plate they will see that the registration is current

On a side note, check this shit out. I bought a car in December of last year and the faggots literally issued me a registration that was only valid for 3 weeks. I was driving around on an expired registration for 8 months until a cop pulled me over last week and told me about it. He was cool and said it's the dealerships fault and told me to just go renew it online and I should be all set.

It's a non moving violation just pay your fine you chump it doesn't effect your insurance.

>dealerships fault
That you didn't know how long your registration was for?
In what way?

I agree; btw I wasn't pulled over - I had parked my car to say goodbye to a friend and as I came out I saw the ticket on the window.

And lol wtf m8 that's good the cop didn't screw you

that's what everyone is saying that it won't cause my rates to go up which is good! that's the most important thing to me.

I mean, if I plead not guilty I atleast have a chance on getting it thrown out (depending on how the judge feels). I just hope I get one on a good day.

why didn't you just show the cop the sticker + registration card..?

Could be worse OP. Cops don't fuck around with stuff like that. I got jailed for a month for sticking a sticker I got from another car in my license plate. Almost got beaten and raped in jail too, my bunkmate got his jaw broken. Just pay the fine and move on.

My only ticket has been from doing 83 in a 75 in the middle of the NM Badlands. It was like $80. Some cops are buttfuckers.

>inb4 slow down

i got my 3rd ticket within in 12 mo. so now i have to go to court and im not really sure what to expect.

please see previous posts; I wasn't pulled over by a cop. I parked my car and came out to a ticket on the window. I'm going to assume if it were an actual cop, they would have ran my tags and seen that was in fact re-registered and legal. Because I received the ticket I assume a traffic/foot patrol person got me instead

wew lad that's a scary story; advice noted thank you

yeah some of them really are which sucks

best of luck to you pal, I hope it works out for you. Have those 3 tickets all been speeding related?

If you get a ticket you pay for it. You will never win if you go to court and it will be a massive waste of time for everyone involved.

That's why I plan on going to the offices first thing monday morning when they open to show them the registration document in hopes they void the ticket. If not, I would rather a judge find me guilty of the violation than admitting guilt.

I know it''s a waste of time, but I'm lucky in that I am able to work remotely (aka from home) so it's not that terrible on me.

yup :( ideally i would like to just get slapped with a fine and be done with it. Im not sure whether it would be smart to hire a lawyer but i didn't receive much time before my court date. I got the ticket the 17 th and the court date is the 23rd

>registration stickers

try to plea it down to parking/non-moving violations; should be cheaper.

ill try to see if i can could get some leniency. according to my calculations i only have 6 points so i should be good.