Who was the worst military general in history?

Who was the worst military general in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Cadorna
youtu.be/XaMSb_7_3cM
youtube.com/watch?v=qU7YJZaa3DI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSV-2_Swift
everyjoe.com/2014/09/01/politics/why-arab-armies-bad-worthless/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Army_Mutinies
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>"Austro-Hungarians? A trifle. It was simply a matter of outsmarting them. You see, Austro-Hungarians had only so much ammunition. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they ran out of munitions and retreated. Petain, show them the medal I won."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Cadorna

> leave Israel to me

Not to mention you had to be a special kind of moron to lose to Austro-Hungarians in WW1 when they were having so much political and ethnic unrest with armies that spoke 5 different languages and overall had outdated tactics and equipment aside from their mortars.

Hitler

You've probably never heard of him because he probably died very early in his tenure.

Whoever is currently leading the Arab-coalition in Yemen with the latest US hardware money can buy against a bunch of sandal-wearing tribals high on khat.

L???i C?????a

>dat incat supply ship that was just sumk

Douglas MacArthur

youtu.be/XaMSb_7_3cM

Never underestimate khat.

Montegomery

shut up commie scum, you were just mad god sent him on his mission to destroy china!

Pemberton gets my vote for first impressions, as you have to be pretty awful to lose at Vicksburg to a force you outnumber, is starving, from a strong fortified position.

I'm sure there were worse people in the history of command.

Labienus

Winston Churchill worst admiral

>mfw operation menace

The unrest came later. The real sad thing is how straight up BAD the Austrian army was in WWI.

This is an army that got BTFO by Russia and fucking Serbia.

JUST

>tfw you surrender 80,000 soldiers with great defensive potential to 30,000 poorly organized starving gooks in less than a week of fighting

WWI in general (da dum chhhh) was full of incredibly incompetent leaders on all sides.

Checking in for duty!

no

malaya was rotten to the core desu

>134 soldiers killed and 292 wounded(Friendly fire)

Saudi airforce bombing their own soldiers while also getting lost way off the grid so they bomb random friendly villages.

It's such a big clusterfuck that the BW mercs pulled out their units on the ground cause of the the incompetence in the leadership and the casualties they suffered.

Didn't the rebels manage to fire some missile onto the coalation forces out of nowhere?

Yes a toshka missile into a saudi base killing around 70 UAE soldiers and 10+ BW mercs way into saudi territory somehow undetected.

It's like a fucking military comedy show.

>Real life feudal nepotism in action

The Saudi military is such a fucking train wreck. The grunts are treated like animals, the officers are all someone's son playing army, and the NCO's are locked in "only i know how to do this" politics to stay invaluable to the officers so nobody passes on what they know. That's why they're getting rekt by Houthis.

Erwin Rommel

Is it Darius? The guy who lost to Alexander the Great every single time. He even failed a run like a coward

>1774402
>20 M1A2S lost
Did they just roll away or are they really that incompetent?

Oh, I fucked up bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=qU7YJZaa3DI

Darius must have been one of the most cucked men in existence. Mother thinks he's a piece of shit coward and loves Alexander, who marries several of his daughters

I laugh at this and it make me feel bad.

Publius Quinctilius Varus.

Could there really be any other answer?

His own men stabbed him and left him to die as an offering to Alexander.

Muh legions

wasnt his fault

>"Hell yeah I just took Rome bitches... What do you mean the entire German Tenth Army just just escaped unmolested to safety. Whatever. Not my problem. I conquered an open city WOOOO!"

Technically Austrians BTFO'd the serbs by dying in droves in their lands and the corpses spreading thyphus fever.

>Publius Quinctilius Varus
Eh. Plenty of generals got fucked over by traitors leading them into ambushes. It says more about his political abilities (he couldn't get a grip of the actual situation of his province) than his military sense.

Under what critical levels of failure do your own men stab you and leave you to die?!

>being so in love with the army you built you don't want to actually risk it fighting a war

McClellan needed to be the guy in charge of raising the Union's army, but never allowed anywhere near a field command.

Which ever dude lost cannae

It was though
I think you can count the good leaders with your hands

What is this?

The Saudis are just that incompetent. The other nations in the region are starting to notice this; expect Jordan to attempt to retake rightful Hashemite Clay within the next 30 or so years. They still have a British-style professional military.

Supposedly, the Jordanians held a wargames exercise in the recent past where they quickly enveloped and overran a defensive position with their mechanized forces; the Saudis observers were freaked out at how quickly they were able to do it because that defensive position was set up along the lines the Royal Saudi Army uses.

Jesus Christ, why are arabs so shit at war?

These people sinking this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSV-2_Swift

No tactical sense.

>"We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn’t have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone! "Save me!" He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them!" -Leonid Brezhnev on the Yom Kippur war

They are both Arabs though, so the real question is

>Why are sunnis so shit at war?

An explaination from Reddit:

Conventional Arab militaries, for whatever the reason, do not train to initiative at the lower levels. Essentially all of the Arab militaries react poorly to anything that doesn't go according to plan, and will pass the buck all the way to the top before reacting.

During the 6-Day war the IDF bombed the hell out of Egyptian Air Force on the ground. At one such base the IDF managed to not destroy any aircraft, and the Soviet advisor ran over and told the pilots "look, you need to get these planes in the air. They're gonna fly over to do BDA and you can hit them then." Pilots said they were waiting on instructions from Cairo. IDF plane flies over doing BDA. "Look," said the Soviet, no doubt thinking of the fate of all these planes the USSR gifted "at the very least fly to a airfield further West, so they aren't destroyed if you aren't going to use them." Again, they said no, and sure enough more IDF planes flew over and blew them up on the ground. The Soviet military mission wrote back to Moscow talking about how the Egyptians totally lack all initiative and are pretty much the most shit robotic soldiers on the planet. Keep in mind the reputation the Soviets have about initiative.

The Jordanians always performed the best against the Israelis, and by what is no doubt a amazing coincidence, the Jordanian army(Arab Legion) was riddled with British advisors from the late 40s to the mid 60s.

>1 Australian mercenary killed
lad must not have brought his best bants that day

No, A rather resourceful ISIS commander deployed an Emu unit.

everyjoe.com/2014/09/01/politics/why-arab-armies-bad-worthless/

>The Arabs are what the sociologists like to call “amoral familists.” This means that they are nearly or totally incapable of forming bonds of love and loyalty with anyone not a blood relation. Even then, the degree of blood relation determines where loyalty legitimately lies. The saying in the area is: “Me and my brother against my cousin; me, my brother and my cousin against the world.”

Nah, they kicked the British officers out in 1956 to prove their independence from Britain. Jordan was just the only Arab army that actually paid any attention to the West's military teachings.

Jordan's deal was that they never wanted to fight the Israelis as much as all the other Arab nations, especially not after Black October where they lost their desire to actually help the ungrateful Palestinians. King Hussein actually tried to warn the Israelis about the impending Yom Kippur War, and when the Arab League forced them to join in it against their wishes, the Jordanian Army just had an unofficial truce with the Israelis to only fight "for real" when the Syrians were watching them.

Jordan and Oman are pretty much the only based Arab nations out there not getting involved in any of the shit in the ME.

I think most of the Gulfies want the same but currently under peer-pressure from the Saudis.

By pure coincidence, Jordan and Oman are the only Arab nations without significant oil deposits, so they're the only ones who bothered to diversify their economies. Jordan has always been the most Western of all the Arab states; Transjordan was where the Brits set up their Arab Revolt supporters and thus had a much closer relationship with Britain than Egypt and Iraq did and definitely a much closer relationship than Lebanon and Syria had with France. Their current good relationships with both Israel ("you and I against the rest of these uneducated hordes, we're the only ones here who know what we're doing") and the US is reflection of that.

Oman is still very much an Islamic tribal kingdom, but their current king is extremely moderate. He staged a coup against his own tyrant of a father, rumored because his dad was going to make him throw out his showtunes records. He'd much rather have a stable kingdom where his tribes keep their own differing standards of religious propriety than enforce it with a state religious police like the Saudis do.

Also, possibly as an indicator that the West knew Jordan was only going along with the wars against Israel because they'd be invaded themselves if they didn't, Jordan was still allowed to buy Western military hardware all through the Cold War despite all the other states around them switching to Soviet stocks.

When you bring shame to your empire, your dynasty, your mother, your daughters, your men and your own name.

Made me kek have a (you)

Interesting

>Khat outta hell

>fighting Sunni Saudi Arabia, chief Islamic terrorism sponsor
>better say death to Israel

I mean, he wasn't really that bad. He just fell into a trap. It was mostly political.

>lions led by donkeys meme
There were many competent generals on both sides, at least on the western front. They were very unpopular because a army of conscripts and a press full of journalists that had never known war couldn't understand the peculiar tactics of WWI. Austro-Italian front is the only theater where the strategic incompetence meme is kind of true.

Stabbed in the back by a traitor. It's bad that he didn't see it coming, but not "worst general in history" bad.

Now, Crassus easily qualifies as worst military leader of Rome.

desu Haig and Nievelle really didn't help making this meme look like bullshit. Those two were fucking vile. Nievelle, being the worst of the two.

>Haig
you literally have no idea what you are talking about
you are literally memeing
you are literally parroting some sort of a 1950s high school kind of history
li-tchurr-ell-ee

no, the leadership was largely decently competent

Forgot to add.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Army_Mutinies

>The government suppressed the news so as not to alert the Germans, nor depress homefront morale. The extent and intensity of the mutinies were disclosed for the first time in 1967 by Guy Pedroncini in his volume Les Mutineries de 1917. His project had been made possible by the opening of most of the relevant military archives 50 years after the events, a delay in conformity with French War Ministry procedure. However, there are still undisclosed archives on the mutinies, which are believed to contain documents mostly of a political nature; those archives will not be opened to researchers until 100 years after the mutinies, in 2017.

Something to look forward to discussing Veeky Forums

Spotted the delusional Brit.

Serbs fought for like 30 years against Turks in Balkan wars, by the time they fought Austrians, majority of the army were battle hardened veterans

SATAN

What exactly wasn't his fault?

Hitler
Also where is it

>not having to fight the enemy to complete your objectives makes you a bad general now

Not him, but Rome wasn't a military objective. Italy had already surrendered by that point. The objective was to evict the German soldiers to both get them out of Itsly and to be able to pressure Germany from the south.

Going for a glory target instead of wiping out an army that is going to make your life a living hell for rest of the war.

Franz Conrad Von Hötzendorf.

If there was something to be done he would screw it up for the Habsburgs.