ECU WIRES CUT, STILL RUNS

hey guys I own a 1998 z3 and its my first car. I was gifted it as a present for my 16th bday from my grandparents. They bought it factory new in 98, its had several shop work on it since it was purchased for everything from an oil change to a new inner door panel, a new bumper and several new soft tops. my problem and confusion lies in the ECU, I was just fiddling around in the trunk trying to learn the ins and outs of my car and i came upon the ECU. im not joking when I say only 4 wires actually connected and it seems like another 30 either cut or unplugged :dunno: (see images) Im extremely confused. further background info it seems to run perfectly fine, the alarm system doesn't seem to work and i can't get the key fab to work nor can i get the car to go into the sort of '' learn mode'' to pair the key fab through the open close sequence. it does respond to the key fab with what only can be described as an audible chirp, i can also get it to panic through the key fab but nothing else.

basically to sum up im asking if this is even close to normal. should I invest in a new ECU, wiring, and tune? (its still completely stock as far as performance and bodywork goes.)

Learn to read schematics and use brand and model specific forums, NOT Veeky Forums which is for shiposting.

When you post to real forums, post YEAR, MAKE, MODEL as appropriate with maximum useful details. You may find factory service manual downloads on some forums. You won't find them here.

They don't put ECU's in the trunk lol

That's an amp or some shitty car alarm

Whoever "gifted" that to you, Does not love you.

Did your grandparents have any issues with the key fob? Or was it stolen or broken into at some point? If everything is working except the door locks on the fob then maybe that's all those wires go to.

fuckbui i have no answer yet i came here for a second opinion
it has been broken into before

None of that looks BMW. At all.

Underage, reported

im 18 im just now finding this

>im 18

how convenient, post your driver's license right now or I report you to the cyberpolice

>harman/kardon
All you had to google that to find out that that's an amp.
Now go look at the wiring diagrams on BMW WDS (it's online somewhere) to find out what exactly was cut. My guess is someone nigger rigged an aftermarket sound system into the car and just cut the old connections out.

hell no I wouldn't post my license on a website i trust anyway mr.white-hat im not a retard how bout you post yours first how do i know your not 12

thanks bro

The ECU for my Boxster is in my trunk

Harman-Kardon is a manufacturer of audio equipment, not ECUs... are you sure thats not an amplifier or something?

Yup, thats a subwoofer amplifier, not your ECU

its very possible im just getting into cars i dont know much
thanks

The Boxster has 3 ECUs. One is in sump under the drivers seat so don't spill your drink.

>someone nigger rigged
More likely a shop had to do this to stop an electronic freak out.

There is never a reason to wholesale cut a bunch of wires like that if you ask me. And audio systems usually don't make "electronic freak outs".

Actually, I don't know what an "electronic freak out" is supposed to be at all.

i dont see why ,assuming the other original speakers were removed which i think they were, they would cut the original wires and tape the ends instead of just removing them

lmao OP confirmed for actual 16 year old retard

The main Bosch motronic DME is in the trunk, the engine's wiring harness plugs right into it. It's also the thing you flash when doing an engine swap

The rest are auxiliary things like the security system and aren't needed to run the car

Again, you need to check the wiring diagrams for your car and see what exactly was cut. I'm 99% sure the twisted pairs that were cut are speaker wires but there's no way to be sure. Dig around for the amp powering the sound system now too I guess.

inb4 they just cut the subwoofer out completely and connected the regular speakers directly to the head unit

up until now ive only driven cars nothing else couldn't care to learn them

Posts like these is why you don't use Veeky Forums for anything other than entertainment

>butt crimps
>electrical tape

The other posters are right. Some ghetto-tier stereo install nigger butchered the original audio wiring harness. Does this thing have the original BMW radio in the dash?

BMW puts factory amps in the trunk. Some of those wires are probably connected to tweeters or speakers around the car. You can actually find a diagram of the factory amp and see which pins do what.

Source: Learned all about that box when I was wiring a sub in the trunk.

>asking Veeky Forums for actual car advice is shitposting

How's back to your GM vs Nissan threads