What does Veeky Forums think about the MR2 Spyder?

What does Veeky Forums think about the MR2 Spyder?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vCWjGDdPqx4&t=862s
youtube.com/watch?v=SiwO6WGqFlQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Miata is always the answer

especially when it comes to roadsters

It's fun to drive and you'll be extremely hard pressed to find anything that handles as well at it's price point.

Don't listen to the spergs that tell you to 2zz swap, if you want more power just get a turbo. If you really want to ditch the 1zz go with a Honda K-series or Toyota 2G. Other engines that have been swapped in include the Volvo T5 and Mitsu 4g so your options are pretty open. 2zz is trash you're paying over $2k for 30whp and that's before buying all of the Lotus/Yamaha parts for it to break 200whp which will put you over the cost of a simple turbo build that would get you an easy 250whp.

No storage space meme is true, but if you're shopping for this kind of car and storage space is on your list of "must haves" you are probably retarded. Snap oversteer is nonexistent unless you literally don't know how to drive.

girls car
inb4 >but I only see men drive them

The ZZW30, or the W30, whichever you prefer, was fucked from the start. It got the 1ZZ-FE, a horrendously under-powered grocery-getter engine, was what it came with. Not only did it not make any power, it burned oil.

The engine that Toyota should have put in it (which they didn't even offer for whatever reason) was the 2ZZ-GE. Around 190 BHP, VVT-i, and much better tuning potential. It was also higher revving.

In the end, Toyota turned the MR2 from a NSX rival (now, before you flame me, the Rev 3 GT-S was faster than the NSX in the 1/4 mile. It was also about a second slower around the track than an NSX) to an MR alternative to the Miata.

It is even less practical than the SW20, as it was smaller and had less cargo area. Subjectively, it is kind of ugly unless it has a hardtop, which is an incredibly rare and pretty fucking expensive modification, and no matter what you do to it, it will always look like a frog from the front.

Sure, it handles great, but why would you get it over a Miata? It is much less common, but they handle very similarly and the MX-5 has a much larger aftermarket. You can also find MX-5s for much less.

In conclusion?

sw20 turbo a best

Except the S2000 exists.

I mean sure, If you are a poor, Miata.
But If you don't wear a paper hat to work, S2000.
MR2 is also cool and 100x better than choosing a Miata.

>Not only did it not make any power, it burned oil.

Didn't they fix that issue in 2003?

Frunk can hold a backpack even with the spare tire and there's a decent amount of space behind the seats

Different classes, kys.
Oh hurr durr if you weren't poor you could get a C6 soft top that leaves the S2000 in the dust

>Dean Team
My nigga

2zz is another 50-60whp and it's a much easier swap than a k20 or 2gr which is why people do it

youtube.com/watch?v=vCWjGDdPqx4&t=862s

Knockoff Porsche Boxster.

Retard

It basically is but it's also a lot cheaper.

I love mine. I daily and track it.
I'll never get a miata.

Only 3 issues:
Needs front tower strut bars BADLY
needs smaller steering wheel
needs bucket seats

You're uninformed and you're just shitting on a great car you haven't driven.

and is hell lot lighter.

>transverse RR
>same as longitudinal MR

Yeah, nah. It's a backwards Avensis.

True

Boxster and mr2 are transverse MR you pleb

>50-60whp
As I previously stated, numbers easily attained, and surpassed, by a turbo 1zz for less money. The 2zz-ge also has a problem with oil starvation but you wouldn't know that because everyone here parrots from posts they see on /r/cars which is filled with armchair posting faggots like this guy.

I've driven one, and I have to say that it's fun, but I much prefer my SW20. I would take one over a Miata personally, but I feel that it isn't a rational choice.

For less money, maybe, but the 2zz swap is probably less work in the long run.

yeah. he's pretty much spot on.

this 2zz is a full engine that makes enough power and is as reliable as a production car
vs a turbo which will need tuning and tweaking and isn't just plug, play and forget about it.

2zz has a different oil pan, if you put your 1zz baffled oil pan or get an aftermarket one for 2zz you won't have problems.
2zz is a great engine swap.

fair enough, sw20 and aw11 guys irrationally hate the zzw30 for nothing other than looks.
Most of your stuff is wrong, there is no oil burning only precats problems, there is no aiming for NSX(although a well tuned 2zz mrs can easily punch up to 911 levels)
Its just a new MR2, just like the old one. Its a midengined miata. That's it.
Like I wanted sw20 as well but I got zzw30 and honestly I'm fucking glad I got my zzw30. I don't want any other mr2 anymore.

Diffrent user here
I wanted to ask - anyone here uses zzw30 as a daily? How good(bad) is it?

I used one as a daily for about 6 months a few years back. It has so little storage space that stuff you don't even think about with other cars becomes a huge pain in the ass. Other than that it was great.

No, Boxster is longitudinal MR.
MR2 is transverse MR.

I use one for a daily.
It is great, every boring commute becomes fun as long as there's some twisties or roundabouts. Also uses like no fuel. Kind of hard to park or manouver in tight space since it's a sports car.
Plenty of storage space unless you're some retarded american who buys 600 cheeseburgers and 20 cases of diet coke every week.
I've never, ever ran out of space in my MRS. With or without passanger.
Fuck today I fit like 3 duffle bags and 2 backpacks int he car without problem.
"lol no storage" is a meme.

who the fuck cares.
They both have engines in the correct place.

>typical Veeky Forums autist busrider who can't appreciate the difference.

My zzw30 burns oil, it was definitely a problem with that generation of corolla engines

my bad, i wonder why porshe chose that layout though

A fucked up looking porsche for weebs and babies

>Typical Veeky Forums autist for caring about where his driveshaft is pointing and calling other people busriders

>volvo t5
It fits?
I own a t5 car and those blocks are way longer than a Toyota 4 pot

I have the 2003 with the 6-speed sequential manual transmission, and about 136,000 miles on it.

It has been my daily for five years now and it's great. I'm in NC and if you told me I needed to drive it to Seattle tomorrow I'd hop in and go. The 1zz never stops, the handling is perfect, storage space is light but manageable with some forethought, and I get compliments everywhere.

Oh, and fuck the EPA rating. I can get 40 mpg out of a whole tank.

The only downside here in the mountains is I can't even get the fucker out of my parking space in the snow. It just doesn't weigh anything.

best MR2 by far

defo better than a fucking Miata

>The only downside here in the mountains is I can't even get the fucker out of my parking space in the snow. It just doesn't weigh anything.
fuck, its snowing pretty hard in winter in my country

I've beat a friend's NA1 in my SW20 Turbo (with a few simple mods) in highway pulls.

And as I stated before, the Rev 3 GT-S was faster than the NSX in the 1/4 mile. It truly was an NSX rival, albeit slower around a track.

>best mr2
>isn't an AW11

FUNNY THREAD, FULL OF COMEDIANS, VERY HUMOROUS

Great car, nice dynamics, slowly becoming a future classic now that muscle car drivers don't need to make fun of it to feel good about themselves.

looks retarded as fuck

back when I had one (with 22 PSI on the 1zz, FUCK YO LOGIC NIGGA) I would occasionally take it to the range for shits and giggles. Once fit 4 long guns + assorted ammo and gear. Put the top down and buckle in the hard cases, it'll swallow most things that aren't moving-tier.

>about a second slower around the track
which track? that shitty little meme track in japan? burgerking ring? trial mountain in gran turismo?

Why? Because you're a stupid normie millennial that only likes angry looking cars?

All mr2s are good

That's a legit problem them dude. I've read many an MR2 story that goes, "I used to have an MR2, but it snowed one day..."

MR2s would be better in snow than a FR car. And with proper tires you'd never have an issue in any car

Tsukuba is a very legitimate track you fuck

SNOW TIRES
N
O
W

T
I
R
E
S

youtube.com/watch?v=SiwO6WGqFlQ

>I can't even get the fucker out of my parking space in the snow.
Same. I still had my summer tire on one winter and was defeated by literally a 9 inch stripe of ice across my driveway behind the back wheels. It was shoveled behind the stripe, but not in front so I would continue trying to build speed in reverse to get past the stripe and just end up spinning my wheels. I don't even remember how I ended up getting it out.