Dumb question alert

dumb question alert

Do car manufacturers take into account the weight of the driver when making performance vehicles? Wouldn't a hundred-something pound weight on one side of the vehicle impact performance, especially on a super light car? And it's not like you're going to have a passenger on the track.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q8plO4AeKNU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Laguna#Engines
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

>prototype a car that's good on paper
>test it with a human
>adjust for results

it's that simple

Only when they're making a really, really serious sports car.

The engine on an FD is very offset to the right when facing the car. The battery is also on that side. This was done for RHD cars to improve weight distribution and make room for the steering column. It wasn't reversed on LHD models, so they actually handle worse. I think Mazda knew it wouldn't sell as well overseas so they didn't give a fuck.

I love my FD

For instance, the black part on the top in that pic is the intake manifold, which is shaped like a snorkel on a rotary. The engine starts about where the leftmost part of the engine is. If you drew a center line through the car, there would be 1/3 of the engine on the left of the line, and the other 2/3 on the right (as well as the battery, power steering and ac pumps)

Leftmost part of the alternator*

Honda actually did this with the Integra Type R with the car being perfectly balanced on all four tires only with a 100 kg person sitting in the driver's seat.

Also readjusted for LHD? That'd be fuckin neat actually

I'm pretty sure most manufacturers do that, what I noticed on my little Citroen, which only weighs about 1 Ton, is that the driver side is slightly higher up than the passenger side so it probably evens out with a driver in the car.

Yeah, only they balanced it for a 200 kg person instead.

Damn that's pretty sick

delet this

I don't get it help

It's a fat joke, but 100kg is fucking 220lbs which is fucking massive.

Yes they do, also when you get an alignment they're supposed to put a 150lb ballast in the drivers seat. I doubt many places do it though.

>100kg is fucking 220lbs which is fucking massive.
for a manlet maybe
for regular people it's barely overweight

Whatever you say, fatty

>falling for the fucking meme

The entirety of the "LHD FDs dont handle as well" is fucking speculation. There aint any proof of that. The offset is so fucking minimal and easily fixable that it doesn't matter much, and if you want to go for full 50/50 left right distribution then being a pound extra or less on the driver or fuel or having a passanger will fuck that shit anyways.

You are being nitpicky with LHDs FD.

They should. Specially for light cars. When tri-seat cars with middle seat for the driver become available we might see even lighter cars based on formula 1s.

it's yellow range for whoever isn't a manlet, are you trying to support my argument or what?

Any BMI over 25 is noticeably overweight.
At 6' It's fucking 30, and everyone knows outside of America the average height is 5'6" for males.
So that means that asians would assume a BMI of 37 for its average drivers, sounds like they've got an obecity epidemic over there.

I'm not falling for any meme you retard. I noticed myself and have talked with tuning shops and retired rotary mechanics who confirmed with me. You're mad that the RHD FD is superior in every single way, lmao.

>Americans

good lord

Racing teams literally spend a shit ton of time trying to perfectly balance the chassis of their cars, trying to bring the weight as close to centre and in as small of an area as possible. You can't say this has no effect what the fuck go swap an ls1 into your fc because you're a retard

balancing vehicle for 200kg american...seems legit.

Not the person you're responding to. But you didn't notice it yourself, any difference would be so negligible you'd never notice. Things you read on an RX forum do not count as tuning shops and rotary mechanics. No one confirmed anything with you.

No you didn't. Unless you are genuinely an overweight fuck any difference will not matter because the suspension will take it. And if it doesn't, the tires will.

You either need to lose weight or you fell for the meme.

that's all fine and dandy when you're stationary, but once you start moving the center of gravity matters

Again, your suspension and tires take care of that. If they didn't every single pound of the driver, passanger, equipment and fuel would matter.

lel
if that was true you wouldn't see this on manuals

>driver weight is somehow related to companies making shitty trucks with high centre of gravity prone to rollovers

If you're 6' or taller it's like slightly overweight at most lol

You're fucking stupid. The average weight of a driver is never a significant part of mass of the vehicle nor the center of gravity.

If it was, engineers would have discovered this years ago and compensated in the suspension or weight distribution of the car. But they don't at all because it's a non-issue

just an example that center of gravity matters, even if suspension is good
why do you think race cars are so low and wide? Why do you think they have more camber than street cars? Stability, that's why. And also ground effects but that's another thing altogether.

Exactly my point when I said "if you're not a manlet"

Because the average daily commute and his car is not an f1 car whose entire engine and transmission is thrown away between races, the car is preheated so the oil is thin enough to flow through the incredibly narrow oil system and whose wheels and brakes undergo so much stress they catch fire when they go for pit stops

It's a non-issue in heavy cars. OP gets it, he even said "in a super light car". 100 kg matter in a car, specially if it's under 1000 kg.
what does that have to do with suspension and handling?

>It's a non-issue in heavy cars
It's a non issue for virtually every street legal sports car too.

If this was an issue you'd see it in your tire wear but you don't at all

>it's a Vettel BTFOs the McNigger episode

Handling is impacted way before tire wear

>what does that have to do with suspension and handling?
It means the drivers weight in a commuter car is insignificant

Too bad handling, stability and the tires experience an insignificant amount of adverse effects because of the weight of the driver.

In every common commuter car you'll find that the suspension set up is literally the same between both sides of the car. Same spring rate, same dampening, bound and rebound, same toe, all that shit

Handling is impacted insignificantly

only while commuting, i.e. when handling doesn't play a role at all
who considers a RX-7 a "commuter car" anyways?
Keep telling yourself that

The fucking F1 cars are made to be stable but they dont need to worry about driver weight or position since they are DESIGNED with that in mind. Street cars aint

>Keep telling yourself that
Fucking prove that the drivers weight adversely affects the handling, suspension, and tires in any significant you fucking retard. Your shit is baseless and source less

An rx7 is as much a car as any other and is not affected at all by the drivers weight you fucking Mongoloid

I only posted a F1 car because it's where it's the most obvious, but any race car is wide and has more camber than a regular street car, barring stancefags

Which still aren't affected by driver weight

S-stop this guys!
This is too lewd..!

They don't give a car better camber because of driver weight

wrong, there's a reason why teams require drivers to keep themselves a certain weight
nope, they do because of stability
when designing for handling you want a wide stance and a low center of gravity that's as close to the center as possible
why are you guys so bad at reading comprehension? Is it Asperger's?

>wrong, there's a reason why teams require drivers to keep themselves a certain weight
Insignificant in every way.

The driver isn't going to be 200kg he's going to be 95kg at best. Even then you aren't going to lose a race because you split hairs over 1kg on a driver's belt. You lose a race because of the drivers ability to begin with.

save it before the mods delet it for being in a blue board :^)

No they don't because the suspension between sides on a car is literally the same left or right. No one gives a shit about how much the driver weighs in any road legal car.

>The driver isn't going to be 200kg he's going to be 95kg at best.
See :^)
>You lose a race because of the drivers ability to begin with.
lel, tell that to the guys from Red Bull

OH man you're really splitting hairs on some severely obese driver and your applea/oranges comparison with race car driving where you magically think insignificant forces magically matter more in physics than anywhere else.

Pleas do this.

Calculate the difference on raw accelerative force between two cars whose mass differs by a mere 5kg. I guarantee you it's insignificant to the max speed or the max acceleration

>suspension is all that matters guise!
you can counterbalance the driver with everything else in the car
Pic related is a Renault Laguna. The engine is very obviously offset to the right as you can see. Coincidence? I think not.

>lel, tell that to the guys from Red Bull
T. Not an engineer

>shucks man we would have won if you didn't eat a burger last night

Would have won if they didn't out too much fuel in the car on that last stop. Would have won if the driver didn't take the turn as wide as he did. Would have won if he got to slip stream quicker on the straight. Would have won if the engineer shaved off another thousandth of an inch off the engine material . Would have won if they had a better strategy

>treating cars as particles
this is why you don't get it. Weight distribution matters.
youtube.com/watch?v=Q8plO4AeKNU

I remember watching somewhere that the Nissan R35 was not only 50/50 weight distributed between front and back wheels, but was also 50/50 between left and right wheels.

Not sure if they took the driver's weight into consideration. Not even sure if the Nissan is really 50/50. I dont believe it t.b.h.

Yes it is a coincidence. I guarantee you the engineers for that car didn't have an off center engine because of the driver weight.

Wow two completely different fucking cars. I bet one driver was a fat ass and the other was anorexic.

You can do simple physics on cars. Hold all other things constant and calculate the difference on 5kg.

I'm talking about the issue with Mercedes refusing to provide them the engines and having veto power to prevent them from getting Honda engines too
Hamilton wins only because of the superior engine, he'd be toast if not for that

>I bet one driver was a fat ass and the other was anorexic.
I'm talking center of gravity in general. The idiots at Audi think it's a good idea to put the engine ahead of the front axle.

>Not sure if they took the driver's weight into consideration
They didn't its insignificant Hamilton didn't lose because he ate a burger last night

The weight of a driver will not offset the center of gravity significantly

>wrong, there's a reason why teams require drivers to keep themselves a certain weight
Please spare that extra chromosome to someone that needs it.

laterally, it will

No it won't. It's an insignificant part of the cars weight and lateral movement.

If it was you'd see direct evidence of compensation where the left and right sides would have different suspension set up. If the driver weight has a significant factor so would the rest of the cars compensation be equal to that significance. But it's not because it isn't

Most of the world is LHD. Unfunny joke is unfunny no matter how hard you force it.

>butthut amerifat

>If it was you'd see direct evidence of compensation where the left and right sides would have different suspension set up
nope, because it's compensated before it even gets to the suspension
in a 1000 kg car you get 500 kg per side, driver matters

>it's not funny!!!11!!!1!
that's a typical remark of someone who gets offended by the joke

>nope, because it's compensated before it even gets to the suspension
IF IT WAS SIGNIFICANT YOUD SEE SIGNIFICANT COMPENSATION EQUAL TO THAT

BUT YOU DONT BECAUSE IT ISN'T

an offset which is noticeable to the eye is a big one

Except it isn't noticeable, what ever 1000kg car you're making up doesn't have this compensation, you won't find it anywhere.

see the laguna posted above

Except you ONLY assume they did that when you're just making conjecture. You merely see something that coincidentally identifies with what you believe without actually seeing if engineers did that for that reason.

Can I get more details?
What does that seat look like?
Legality of no seat back or belt?
Uprated airbag?

It looks extremely unsafe for other motorists in the event of a high speed crash

Occam's razor

No you can't just claim its the most likely result because you think it is because you have no evidence to begin with that it was the purpose.

It's the simplest explanation, and given how well the car handles it wouldn't be surprising
they thought of every single detail in that car

>It's the simplest explanation
No its not, its not even a correlation nor a causation. You have nothing but conjecture

you can't just claim its the simplest without any evidence that it was the original intent. YOU HAVE NO EVIDENCE.

>they thought of every single detail
you have no evidence that this was the case at all. You just assume without any reason at all.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Laguna#Engines

clearly not because the model that uses the n7q had huge reliability issues overall including "faults of electrical and mechanics"

No where in this article or any of the sources does it say "the engine was put to one side to compensate for the weight of the driver" or anything like that.

>clearly not because the model that uses the n7q had huge reliability issues overall including "faults of electrical and mechanics"
I meant design wise, plus mine hasn't had an issue and it's a 2000. And the citation on wiki leads to a 404.
>No where in this article or any of the sources does it say "the engine was put to one side to compensate for the weight of the driver" or anything like that.
And yet every version, even the 3.0 V6 has the engine offset to the side.

>And the citation on wiki leads to a 404.
No it fucking doesn't.

>and every version its offset
and you have no evidence this was for weight distribution

Fucking kek

It's offset because there's a transmission on the left hand side, just like every other transverse shitbox on the road. The car is complete garbage and no engineer considered balance for a single nanosecond while developing that pile of shit.

They offset the engine because the transmission needs room to exist too. On my car, which is a fusion, the engine is actually on the drivers side, although it's hardly designed for going any faster than about 70 and handles like utter shit but i doubt either are the fault of the engine placement and more the fault of ford making a car for people who hate cars.

So i suppose this thread confirms that the LHD / RHD left right weight distro is a fucking meme and there is nothing wrong with USDM FDs other than weaboos beint nitpicky for no reason because "its not a REAL JDM"

>for regular people it's barely overweight

I am a 5'11" logger and I weigh "only" 170lbs. People ask me which gym I go to because I "look strong".

I can't imagine what I would look like if I weighed an extra 50lbs and did not have such a physically intense daily life.

Anybody played Tokyo extreme racer zero where one of the challengers descriptions had the guy trying to reduce his weight to 115 lbs so he could be faster? It's like the cyxle fags who are always on about MUH GRAMS

Not sure what manufactures do but I had my track car aligned and corner balanced with my weight factored in.

yes it does. I said the citation on wiki, not "your wiki citation"
click the [5], it leads to a 404
german shills probably made that shit up to give Renault a bad name
quite ironic if you take into account that they use Renault engines in Mercs now and PSA engines in BMW products

>The car is complete garbage and no engineer considered balance for a single nanosecond while developing that pile of shit.
nice memes
it's a solid, comfy car with great ergonomics and tech that's not even present in some brand new cars today
the shitty one was the Laguna II phase 1

>5'11"
I said regular people, not manlets

And you still have no source to them putting the engine off because of the weight of the driver

>muh peer reviewed sources