Is the Golf GTI the perfect mixture of fun and practical?

Is the Golf GTI the perfect mixture of fun and practical?

- 220 hp, 250 torque, peak torque at 1500 rpm
- turbocharged inline 4
- stiff chassis, fantastic suspension, takes a corner like a champ

But to top it all off:
- fold-flat rear seats, so you can store a ton of stuff
- 30+ mpg
- small, so you can park anywhere

Don't forget how well they take to tunes

Congratulations.
You just described half a dozen hatches.

Name them.

They are actually quite underrated too. They make around 230hp and 270tq, and a simple tune can increase those numbers by over 70hp/tq

Do they come with a diesel engine in the US?

Pretty sure you can get a TDI Golf/Polo stateside

polo isn't sold in the US
they did get diesel golfs

It's called Golf GTD

No arguments against practicality. It just looks like a cuck mobile.

Anything without a bed looks like a cuckmobile to you Cletus.

What about ford focus rs?

It's too loud for a DD and the interior isn't as good.

What about St then

Speed3, focus st

Are you implying that it's business in the front and a party in the back?

How practical is it to take your unreliable shit box to get serviced every month?

The GTI ticks all the boxes but it's an ownership nightmare even within the warranty period sometimes due to electronics. It's nice to be able to time it, but why are you going to tune an already unreliable car? Particularly when you are close to the point of torque steer already

>forced meme

It is getting so old. The reliability of new VWs is getting better than before.

i miss the steel guage of german cars japanese cars are literal tin cans

>How practical is it to take your unreliable shit box to get serviced every month?
The Car and Driver long-term test drive reported no problems with it.

I was surprised at how comfy the interior was. Pretty good for the price range and its got some pep.

How good is modern VW shit honestly? I was test driving cars and the VWs felt really good.

I've had my 2015 Golf with the 1.8T since the summer of 2014. Just turned 45k miles and I've had an APR tune since 3k miles. Not a single issue as of yet

VAG does not offer diesel engines in any new cars in the American market anymore.

They've switched their focus to hybrids and electrics as a result of dieselgate.

Yes and I want one

Please /thread me

Veeky Forums shits on VAG, don't bother trying to get opinions on it here. Do your scheduled maintenance. Don't do stupid shit with it for no reason. Half the cars Veeky Forums worships are maintainence nightmares anyway

>Just over half of half of half a dozen
No, there's like 3 good """hot""" hatches out there and you just names the other two

It's less refined than GTI. But slightly larger displacement. I just don't trust Ford turbo engines like I do VW... VW has had way more time to perfect them

Honestly I'm jelly of turbo VWs. My i5 is missing that low end torque and tuning potential. Reliable engine but I think the new cars have better interiors. They have just steadily improved

It is terrific. Jeremy Clarkson declares that GTI is one of the greatest cars out there.

If you can afford, then you will not regret buying it.

Mk6 Golf TSI have huge problems with ripping timing belts, and the DSG is known to wear out quickly

Megane RS
Astra OPC
Focus ST
Audi S3
Giulietta QV
308 GTI
M135i
A45 AMG
There you go m8

>The reliability of new VWs is getting better than before.
Actually the most reliable VW were from the late 80s to the 90s. 5th gen golfs(and a3) are crap though

None of which are available in Walshartistan

>Audi S3
>Focus ST
>M240i (same car as the M140i)
Well, there you have, only 3

uhm you forgot the new godmachine

And the Type-R, it's just that I'm not into chink hatches

not sure if it's perfect but it is the best product Volkswagen makes

Is the i30n really that good?

Not out yet, but looks promising.

Golf r is the best vag makes, but the price difference on the gti is difficult to justify.

>golf
>not scirocco

The Golf is better, if only because they nerfed the fuck out of the Scirocco so it wouldn't overshadow the Golf.

nice front wheel drive kraut shitbox

>the DSG is known to wear out quickly
In my immediate family I have 3 VWs with DSG gearboxes, one is like 250.000km and the other two are somewhere around 150.000km.
The 250k one is even one of the first generations that admittedly were "prone" to faults.
DSG is just as fine as other modern automatics, dont repeat meme bullshit to sound cool user.

>Megane RS
>Astra OPC
>Focus ST
>Audi S3
>Giulietta QV
>308 GTI
>M135i
>A45 AMG
lel half of those are shit, the other half are considerably more expensive....

Too expensive for what it is

probably not, but you get a lot for the money. gonna get mine in october. gonna report then

TDI? It's mostly the 7-speed on the TSI engines that I've heard this about, but I guess you're right. It's still a nicer AT than most, but I'd prefer manual anyways, especially on a GTI.

>Saving up
>not getting a direct loan and paying it off over time, building credit score at the same time

not sold in america, stupid germa... err koreans

>implying i'm going to be seen in a hyundayy

>getting an "I love debt" score
>Paying interest
No thanks

>lel half of those are shit
Faster than the GTI and cheaper

>paying interest on a depreciating luxury purchase
Stay poor nigger

looks better and is not as overpriced as your german cuckbox

Having a nigg'd credit score to begin with

>good goy score

You realize it is possible to achieve top tier credit scores without ever paying a dime of interest, right?

This "get a loan to increase credit score" is such nigger logic.

Yeah, I'd buy one if I was in the market for a new car. I don't know why people here shit on them so much. Maybe because they're popular and everyone wants to be a special snowflake hipster here.

Megane RS is objectively the best out of all of them.

I'm well aware of credit builder loans, I'm on one right now at $249 a month.

>made in Mexico
I'll stick with a Civic hatch or a Corolla IM.

Funny, I lift up the hood of my mk7 gti, and it says "Made in Germany" on everything.

Older marks, yes.

The new one's pretty lifeless; it's not the best electrically assisted steering rack out there. Add that to the stickshift never having been great either, nor the turbo lag, nor the feeling of heft as its mass settles into corners... it's a nice and practical car, but it's just not that much fun.

That guy was wrong because he wasn't specific enough. Final assembly is in mexico, or at least it used to be. I don't care enough to look up if they still are.

I'm pretty thats still true. but oh fucking well. As long as shit doesnt say "made in Mexico" its good to go for me. I don't care which continent the machines are in that slap these things together.

>wrong wheel drive meme
Op, Get yourself a gt86.

>due to electronics
>Marty! We've gotta go back ... to 2007!

Just fucking stop. You've never owned a GTI. Most of the people who try and shit on it haven't. The cost of ownership is, at worst, slightly above the average vehicle. If you neglect regular maintenance then expect problems.

>inb4 the same faggot that comes in and spews off """"""reliability""""""" issues with GTI's from 10-15 years ago that do not apply to the Mk7.

The timing belt issue I have heard of but its not overly common in the MK6. If you have that shitty glass 7-speed DQ200 DSG, then yes, you are correct in that it will wear quickly. If its the DQ250 6-speed DSG, you're full of shit.

You think the gookbois will freak when they find out the new Veloster N was designed by germans?

I bought a 2017 GTI last week and am still constantly finding new things that I absolutely love about it. It's just a well thought out nuanced car.

>flip up rear cam so it doesn't get rain or condensation on it
>adaptable bixenon headlights
>perfect warmth overhead led lighting for the make up mirror
>includes first aid kit
>includes weather mats too
>seats 5
>so much immediate torque that it spins even 3rd gear
>8ms shifts
>stock exhaust literally backfires and pops
>has performance gauges (coolant temp, oil temp, boost gauge, g-forces)
>speedo goes up to 180
>insanely long gears

I'm sure I'm missing something. For 25k it's as good as you're gonna get.

mazdas are made in mexico and they only had problems in the first year while vw barely even starter to hire translators.
You could make a car in china and it would have no problems but its full
>you get what you paid for

>For 25k it's as good as you're gonna get.

For a new car, I agree.

Just picked up a 2017 Reflex Silver GTI SE, loving it.

I had an APR tuned 2015 1.8t Jetta Sport before it and the only thing is miss is the more instant power the Jetta had compared to the GTI.

But thats because the jetta had both a smaller turbo and an APR 93 tune.

But I do love the feeling when the boost hits!

Going to get the same APR 93 tune on the GTI soon, the GTI is already faster stock, especially in the top end.

TSI engines don't have timing belts retard. They have timing chains, the issue was with early year tensioners unintentionally being a wear item with a shorter lifespan than the timing chain itself. This issue was fixed somewhere around 2012.

>Golf r is the best vag makes
No it's not, just because it's faster and more powerful doesn't make it better. It cost a lot more and it's hard to say whether the price difference justifies it. An RS3 is faster and a lot more sporty than a Golf R, does that make it a better product?

No.

When will vagfags stop being this stupid and noobish ?

>Dykemobile
When will subiefags stop being this stupid and noobish?

VW marks say this every generation.

>A car that's been out for less than 5 years is "reliable"

>tfw it's 31k in Euroland

>a golf gti drives by
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
lol busted low pressure tarbo.
who would have thought?

>mfw it's almost 39k starting in this shithole

>front wheel drive
>fun

sure thing euroman

there used to be many rwd cars in europe before environmentalists and bean counters. ferd scorpio and opel that became the caterra

back of that new golf looks like shit

>An RS3 is faster and a lot more sporty than a Golf R, does that make it a better product?
Yes.

>39k

heh... hold my beer

Wew lad. Po(o)rtugal?

ofc

get an old one and love it!

Its not a Ferrari or a firetruck so it shouldnt be red anyway

>takes corners like a champ
>fwd

pick one.but only one

>fwd

I love the GTI but I'm wary of getting a hatch because in the US you'll be considered a weak feminine faggot by everyone.

only by autistic poorfags or autistic fags or autistic white trash single mothers

or by everyone else too kek.

I've driven them and theyre pretty fun to drive, but that doesnt change the fact that i still think my friends are fags for owning them.
>aka theyre the next lesbian Subaru car

Wow totally hip and cool viral marketing guys im a young consumer and you really get me

Dykes hate German cars with a passion because of muh "Literally Hitler"

They prefer subaru cars.

My brother has one, but it is a Made in Mexico model and has been a nightmare from hell as far as issues go. I want one, but how do I get one that isn't haphazardly assembled?

Just bought a GTI two weeks ago.
There are a few weird things with the car. It won't let you lock the doors when the engine is on, the key is terribly designed and pops open in my pocket all the time, the sunroof has a huge wind deflector that flaps like crazy above 40mph, and the adaptive cruise control has the capability to work well but its programmed to disable in stop and go traffic.
Still love it though.

Two.