/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/

Mafia fishtits edition

Last thread: >Endless Space 2
- Official Wiki wiki.endless-space.com/
- Soundtrack soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-soundtrack
- Community Hub games2gether.com/

>Stellaris
- Pastebin: pastebin.com/YHdisqem
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1: pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5: reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki: stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php

>Endless Legend
- Manual: cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki: endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE): well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot: multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet: hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (unembed)

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements: pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories: mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jtna8RYZLFM
youtube.com/watch?v=0qzSXiU3AaY
youtube.com/watch?v=5KysITV4t5E
youtube.com/watch?v=LvoVdy_sGI0
youtube.com/watch?v=CyhIrlQalnk
youtube.com/watch?v=bvgR6n72Xos
youtu.be/4BeR6zv3tH0
youtu.be/0qzSXiU3AaY
youtu.be/fM0JHl_EZJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=kLyBwJageak
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What would you rate ES2 out of 10 my dudes?

>inb4 anyone says 6 or lower and gets called paradox shill

Solid 7/10, i'm hoping it'll get similar treatment to EL, with solid DLCs that add/improve upon mechanics significantly.

Maybe 8 or 9/10 in multiplayer but I haven't tried multi so I dunno.

9/10 for the obvious release flaws it has, but it's literally everything I expected, having played es1 and legend

5/10

Stellaris is much better as it is made by Paradox, a quality videogame company that puts care into their product.

Wiz don't you have bugs to fix?

But EL is still shit even with the DLC's

7.5/10

UI is great
Music is great
Faction design is great
Overall game pacing is great
Quests are interesting at the least

Combat isn't as interesting as it could be, but it's better than Stellaris
Ship design is great

Diplomacy and trade is bad to mediocre

6/10 where ES1 is a 7/10

(I'm not asking for advice right now though, I'm complaining. I don't ask because I can't play right now and when I will I'll ask what I don't know)
Also I got this idea but I didn't find yet the tech to sell outposts in the tech tree. If it's in the tree, I sometimes could sell it and sometimes not.
Thanks for support though
ES2 copied internal focus from Paradox because politics lmao

Endless Space? More like endless boredom amirite lmao

>can't have more than 4 ships in a fleet
what a fucking meme

4 Command Points. Get military tech lad, cap is 24.

I wish the same Quests didnt happen in every fucking game, and there werent events that forced you to take certain things.

Really tired of getting random fucking Kalgoshems as Riftborn.

oh
>can't have more than 24 ships in a fleet
:^)

Is Age of Wonders 3 good?

those are weird shaped feets

>accidentally hit retreat

never trust a bipedal fish

It's fine if you like building troops and upgrading your town with buildings that give you better troops and sending out troops to die so you can get more towns that you can use to build more troops to take more towns with

You'll hardly need more than 4 of the big ships in a fleet imo anyway.

Unless you're playing wizard or druid and then for some reason you gotta cast spells to get your best troops

THIS
I DON'T WANT THE FUCKING BIOTICS
THEY BREED TOO FAST FOR ME TO CHAIN GANG THEM ALL AWAY

I can't even bring myself to rate it yet. Initial impression was super positive but the more I play the less I like. At the moment I'm feeling like EL is better, remains to be seen in ES1 is better.

It is still better than Stellaris, however.

Yes. Had a wonky start, but they improved it a lot.

Quick, post your top 3 favorite ES2 tracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=jtna8RYZLFM
youtube.com/watch?v=0qzSXiU3AaY
youtube.com/watch?v=5KysITV4t5E

It's really good, but make sure you go into it expecting primarily a wargame. Even if you enable the non-war victory conditions (By the way, the DLC is almost a must) the game is all about war. Not just "Maintain a competitive military to keep the AI off your tits".

It's also worth noting it has possibly the best AI of any 4X. It actually plays both the tactical and strategic sides pretty well, not overly robotic, and without massive cheats though it does get some resource cheating on higher difficulties.

Whats better, Civ or Stellaris?

I'd say it's a mixed bag. There's aspects of ES2 that I prefer to EL and ES1, but there are other aspects from the latter that the former fucks up.

Personally my biggest gripe is that you can't use all of the minor civs are a skin for a custom facton, and the general lack of factions.

Is that Beyond Earth?

youtube.com/watch?v=LvoVdy_sGI0
youtube.com/watch?v=CyhIrlQalnk
youtube.com/watch?v=bvgR6n72Xos

which civ desu
Anyway Stellaris is realtime + pause, civ is turn based

The only one I kinda dislike is the first half of Dyson Sphere.

No Sowers, it's shit.

you can replicate the sowers by having a prod focus faction and having the ecologists in power

Oh, yeah. I would agree there are some aspects that ES2 handles better too, it's just overall it feels like EL was more cohesive. Maybe I haven't had my eureka moment yet where all of ES2 coalesces in front of my eyes but thus far it feels clunkier. Like the new pops system where you keep track of the individual races seems micromanagement intensive and fiddly to the point where I just ignore it since the gains seem relatively minimal. And the politics system. Trying to force political parties for specific laws just seems like a needless overcomplification of the empire focus diamond in EL.

And yeah, that's Beyond Earth.
Which at some point I really need to give Rising Tide a fairer shake. I only played an hour or two of it and it seemed like it helped the game quite a bit, but I just never came back to it. With fairly good reason, but at least RT differentiated it from civ5.

>Like the new pops system where you keep track of the individual races seems micromanagement intensive and fiddly to the point where I just ignore it since the gains seem relatively minimal
I figure it's a lot more important on smaller maps where access to minor factions is a lot more exclusive than on larger ones, and where you can more easily manage pops.

The fact that civilian transport ships only ever move at 1 speed per turn makes transporting new pops across far-reaching empires utterly impossible; when it takes a transport 25 turns just to go halfway across a constellation, there's no fucking point.

youtu.be/4BeR6zv3tH0

youtu.be/0qzSXiU3AaY

youtu.be/fM0JHl_EZJ8

so do vodyani benefit from food
also I wish the fucking tech search actually worked, I only want 'per planet' techs, the 'per pop' ones are worthless to me

Yes, but incredibly slowly. 4 times a slow.

Only a little, the main tech you need to grow your pop is the one giving you ships, so you can protect your leechers

yes -50% less effective
most per planet techs are early game, notable ones are in the 1st ring, a non tier one per planet I know of is predictive logistics, the rest are system level or per pop

Actually yeah, i'd love to know how the per pop improvements function for Vodyani.

Like, if i've got a 4 planet system with 5 pop and build +2 dust per pop, am I getting +2x5 or +2x20

Yeah, I guess that's a good point. I was writing it off entirely on a medium map, but on a small it may be worth trying to juggle pops around.

Horatio is the greatest leader.

>war were declared
>they are the superior fighting force

Guess I'm fucked.

Just turtle and rush command point tech.

This.

t. Horatio

Which one?

Horatio is probably the most attractive leader as well.

No other leader is as tolerant of the undesirable as the great Horatio

Indeed.

You're just mad because Horatio gene spliced the Vodyani and Riftborn in your last game and made your homeworld fabulous as fuck.

It'll be a great day when Horatio comes and liberates the galaxy.

Who is the Horatio of Earth? The one person or organism who everyone ought to be genetic clones of?

Horatio.

>expansion disapproval is STILL a thing

But I won't be religious robots that want to see the worlds grow.
Every game with pops of different races where every pop represents billions is gay.

>gene splicing
>Riftborn
I'm sorry, HOW? Unless it's just a normal Horatio wearing a Riftborn.

>Cravers get expansion disapproval

Not So if I want many fightan and like HoM&M I'm going to like it? I am aware there are differences, but I'd like to get some war 4X-ish game.

You'd be amazed what a fancy enough outfit can do to Horatio productivity.

as the interspecies cooperative's blurb says; the best way to approach a Horatio is to give him a mirror

I would probably say so. There's obviously more to it both on the 4X side and the tactical side, but if you're in the mood for some turn based hex grid fantasy fighting AoW3 is pretty much as good as you can do.

Just make sure you pick up the DLC too. Hard to overstate how much they add to it, beyond just the major box points of "New class, new races, new victory conditions" they also just add more goodie huts and shit to the random world gen. Plus the good/evil alignment system, which isn't critical but is another step on AoW3's journey to the gud it eventually gitted.

HAK HAK HAK

M-MUGANI?!

Thanks. Now a question: I've actually played it some time ago, enough to forget what it was like, but I remember that AI sorta-kinda bested me by spamming cities everywhere. Was that me being shit or is spamming cities a good idea?

You still take orders? I'd like some mammalians on thick

Unfortunately it might be a bit both, kinda depends on how long ago it was when you played, because at release the game was god-awful and suffered from ICS because there was 0 reason not to cover every inch of the map in cities. Currently you still want a fuckton of cities, but the economy is balanced a hell of a lot better so it's less of the steamroll it once was. Also units of all tiers are now useful, so at launch you just rushed to your highest tier and made full stacks of it. Now even your shitty tier 1 and 2 units can remain viable with special abilities and shit.

Also if it still feels like too much ICS you can disable city founding and make it so all the players have to conquer neutral cities to expand which is still a viable way to play.

How thick you want it?

Question. I developed a tech witch new combat tactics but all l can see its same 3 starting cards. How can i use new?

Open the military screen and click on the thing that says tactics.

fleets and ships tab (f5) on left hand side, there's a pencil

Thanks

So this game has HoM&M mode? Noice
>ICS was good at release
This means I've got legitimately outplayed by AI, I'm impressed. Well, kind of.
Biggest problem with ICS I will have is that at some point my turns will start taking so much time I'll spend more time in city screens than in battles. I guess smaller maps will naturally limit city spam, but if there's some automation feature I won't restrain myself.
Does race/class influence economy much? I know there are some perks/whatever that you can spend on magic or expansion.

Will Smith?

took me forever to find that.
What sucks is the engagement range is the one most important thing and it's tied to stupid bonuses half of which i don't care about.

Race/class can influence economy a bit, but it's more of a case of "This class will want to be churning out expensive units at this point while this class won't" kind of a deal. On a straight economy side there aren't huge differences. That was another one of the weaknesses at launch, they eventually added a stack of race specific traits to tier 1 and 2 units in the big overhaul where they made races a bit more unique and made all the tiers more generally useful.

The perks/trait shit for your character/hero/wizard/whatever I would marginally cheat and look up on a wiki though. The game has a lot of good information at hand as you're playing, but it's more useful to see exactly what you'll get by going 2 points into fire instead of just 1, etc.

>Who is the Horatio of Earth? The one person or organism who everyone ought to be genetic clones of?
Taylor Swift

Blades of Stellaris user here, I don't know just how long this update is going to take, I need to play through a couple games first. It's mostly about trying to fix the tech issue + possibly doomstacks if I can figure out how to get the AI into splitting stacks.

Somebody said that the ringworlds and the camera was broken again a couple weeks back. If they haven't been fixed yet they are in the new build.

The plan for the update after that is to add a few new weapons, and give all weapon slots firing arcs + slots.

The grand plan is to try to recreate Sword of the stars in Stellaris without ripping off the IP.

Why can I not take one corvette from the 8th Paragon's fleet and put it in the 7th Protector's fleet? I've done it plenty of times before but for some reason this is not letting me.

Bruce Lee

>arcs in a game where everyone piles into a giant clusterfuck

i do the create and merge fleets so i can't really help

it's weird, I have one CP left to fill but it's greyed out when I try to put another ship in it.

Make sure that only one of the ships is highlighted, then select create fleet, then merge that fleet with the other fleet.

It is an incredible visual experience, but 20h in and I'm bored as fuck. Even ES1 was less boring somehow.

I don't know what exactly bores me. The tech trees? The dynamics? The politics? Something about the whole game is just unfun as fuck.

At least Stellaris is fun.

I find it amazing that you find ES2 boring but find Stellaris fun

You have awful taste or maybe just different opinions

Customer support: 5/7

Guys imagine if we had Stellaris but with the UI and Artstyle of the Endless Games.

Also on an Engine that isn't outdated garbage.

Ok that worked, thanks

Obama

Ghost

get rekt cravers scum!

anyone have the ES2 planet table?

>have at least 4 industrialist laws

man I got stuck on that one for like 60 turns

Yeah I've had it for ages too, only just been able to enact a 3rd law recently.

per planet pop
vodyani are a bit confusing because they are different but 1 pop on the ark = 1 pop on ALL colonisable planets