Be 19

>be 19
>poorfag
>likes cars
>knows nothing about them, didn't take auto in highschool
>probably will never have anything nice because highschool drop out poorfag, gonna take me forever to learn the ins and outs of whatever I need to know and I'll probably kill myself before getting something I want
>tfw you have the desire but not anything else needed to obtain something

why me

You had auto in highschool? All we had was CAD and engineering bullshit.

We had Auto, Manufacturing (things like welding, CAD, and all things involving metalwork) and Woodshop

>CAD
>bullshit

I never called CAD bullshit but the engineering class we had was.

I too was once a poorfag and didn't know shit about cars. I bought my first car for 240 bucks 6 years ago, bought tools here and there, and started doing work to my car in my building's parking lot while using forums and some locals as reference on what to do. Scanned forums for other cars and saw what things caused what issues on specific cars, learned how to diagnose some problems that happen to all cars, and once I felt courageous enough I changed my own headgasket with shit tools from Autozone. You don't need an automotive degree, the information is out there. Today, I make money on the side every now and then by working on people's cars. I earned my reputation by keeping shitty cars alive. Go to local junkyards and start taking cars apart, search YouTube for tutorials on how to change shit on cars you find interesting.

Literally just buy an Automotive Technology textbook, cars actually aren't that advanced to struggle to understand the basic principles and systems in them, just buy a good broad textbook and read it.

I have "something nice" for like $1000. (Not in US)
A 27 years old "soapbox" :D
I love my Trabant!

Anyway, it is not cash that matters, it is love for a car that matters, you can have a great project car that will make people stare for cheap in cash but with lot of work (and that needs only free time and a source of knowledge like a decent internet forum).

Ok, $1000 is not that cheap, but I got my first one for like $500. And you can find a lot of nice project cars for less.

So go for it!

im poor nigga

Someone above bought a car for $240.
I bet that there are cars that you can buy for $100 and they will be driveable.
And any shitbox can be made into a nice car if you have time and dedication.
There is a guy in Poland who turned ultimate shitbox (Daewoo Tico) into uphill monster (I think uphill, I'm not certain what he wants to do, but he wants to drive some corners with it)
(put facebook adress here)/brspl/

not when im in the dirt by -$3k

Look, I have similar debt and shitty income, which will drop by a lot soon. Plus I have wife and 2 kids. And I have two 27 yo cars, both are broken in different way. But they work, one looks great, other will look great after we finish with it.
If you want a car, you can have a car. It will probably be a shitbox at the beginning, but with time and dedication it will change into a great car. With your own style.
I will post my cars in a bit, just need to find a pic.

alright sounds good. yeah i've been really wanting a mach 1 mustang or some other similar muscle car and with time turn it into something that will shred modern mustangs, camaros, challanegers, STIs and Evos. thats my goal

That can be a bit out of your budget...
I'd want Citroen XM turned int luxury sleeper and VW T2 Camper, but it's way beyond my money so I have two pictured.
I think that you want a dream, not a real car.

I don't really care if it starts out a junker, really just want a project muscle I can first get road worthy and slowly add as time goes on

Still such Icon is probably over a budget.
probably you can find a muscle something closer to reality.
But just keep searching, there is probably a car for you somewhere :)

And look for other cars, without money you will do better if you will be elastic when it comes to make and model.

don't really care what I get as long as it looks good and has a good history of performance and reliability and can be turned into something to behold.

Anything can be turned into something to behold.
You just need either lots of money or lots of free time.
I don'r really know US car market, so can't point you towards any car in particular.

I've read through this thread. Let me be a realist for a second. Your a high school drop out, poor, with no car. And you want a project muscle car...

Create a budget for yourself and find out how much you wanna spend on a car, then half that. Search Craigslist for something (anything) in that price range. Take someone who knows about cars with you to look it over. If it's a good deal then buy it. Use the other half of your budget to buy cheap tools and a Haynes manual. Any left over money can be spent in maintenance and fixing known problems.

My suggestion is get a common fwd Japanese shitbox and get parts from a salvage yard. Stick with a you-pull-it type place, you'll learn more.

Overall don't finance, you're already going to have to pay for insurance.

And aside from cars, here's some more advice. Get your diploma and talk to a recruiter. The military will pay you a decent salary and depending on the job can train you to be a mechanic.

You replied to wrong guy, I already have 2 east-german shitboxes :D
(Great cars BTW)

Because you fucked around. Cars do need hard work to be taken care of.

no shit

Get your GED and grab some certs, you goon.

OP here, yeah once my debt is cleared up im probably going to look into that next. I wish there was such thing as being a mechanics apprentice, kinda like with an electrician or something

wtf op im 21 and i still dont have driving licence i should be dead than for like 2 years now ...in USA u get licence in 10 days and for 50$ Unfortunately im far from USA and my country wants more money and more strugle to get one

I don't actually have my license either, I live in Canada and the test to get your beginners license costs $150 canadian. makes me want to die

Dude u live in Canada and want to kill yourself , u are trolling

>experience in cad
>experience in welding / metal manufacturing
so i assume machining?
dude you can be making bank. start applying to every machine/fabrication shop, e-mailing them personally your resume with a backstory, just say you are 19, dropped out of highschool, but want to change life around etc. ask for a training position.
stop moaning and do something

I can mildly relate to this. I have a basic understanding of how a 4 stroke engine works, but I can't say, "Oh damn, sounds like a problem with your X."
I couldn't currently look at each part of the engine and tell you it's name.
How did you anons learn it?

You can hustle through a few weeks of overtime to buy a decent fixer, OP. Or a week of overtime to buy something you'll be forced to fix before you can drive it.

It's all up to you but I have a feeling you didn't come here for practical advice.

>go through highschool
>have minimal interest in cars and mechanics but still take auto shop and shop class to balance out harder subjects
>go to uni
>suddenly develop an autistic fascination with cars and go full Veeky Forums within the period of a month
>saved up enough for a used car but I can't justify it to myself, and insurance will be killer in Ont*rio
it hurts lads

Read, and work.

Absorb all relevant information like a sponge.

its been a while since i've done all that shit, but I suppose you have a point. I'd actually fucking die if I could get, like, a mechanics apprenticeship or something

whatever kind of advice helps, doesn't matter if its practical or not. knawledge is knawledge

I already have a hard time absorbing information so that's gonna fucking suck dick but yeah

>sophomore year
>take several electives that would have given me desired skills
>auto tech and German
>expelled two weeks in
>never take auto tech after returning
Haha kill me senpai

Just Focus , and buy one.

That's mainly what I've been trying to do.
Are those Haynes Manuals worth it?

Haynes manuals are fucking great.

Thanks, user. I appreciate it.

yea same dude

Same. I'm from SG and owning cars are like a fantasy to me. Only rich ppl here drive a car. At least you can spot some nice merc at the traffic.

>kill me

this is basically a feels thread Veeky Forums edition
everyone hates their life