/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Competiton(s)
DCSS 0.20 Tournament starts on May 26th, so get your teams together!
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/upcoming-0-20-release-and-tournament

angband.oook.cz comp #205 is a half-orc priest in the latest experimental version of vanilla Angband (Now 100% less poz!)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

>FAQ and What to Play:
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ZChris13/ZChris13.txt
crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/zkyp/morgue-zkyp-20170520-194201.txt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

xth for euro hours are the worst

To those who are joining Makhbats Outta Hell, you need to put this line at the top of your 0.20 rc.
#TEAMCAPTAIN nikheizen
Do it on the server you will be playing the tournament on, preferably.
I've added epdtry, caco, josefromcouch, and COBRA to my CAO .rc, so you guys add me back whenever your server comes online.

It's been a very long time since I've actually gotten this far. What do I do now?
crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ZChris13/ZChris13.txt

how many people per team

how do I be on a team with ponyposter

I'd really like to save more of these scrolls for tomb though

>pick a team name, like bionic furries
>put:
#TEAMNAME bionic furries
#TEAMMEMBERS ponyposter
>as the first line in your 0.20 rc
>have ponyposter put
#TEAMCAPTAIN user
>as the first line in his 0.20 rc
Congrats, you will be on a team with ponyposter.

I would be interested in being on a team as that guy who replies to ponyposter. We could call ourselves NotARoguelike

I'm not playing. I'm actually grinding mcmmo skills in minecraft on a faction server for the first time something like four/five years. Fun stuff.

Have a nice tall glass of mutations - It's good for you

Man the new pots of mutation are too much
it's like playing Ck without Xom dickery

I even used to guzzle the old pots. Mutations are fun.

nuTomb is way easier
for fuck's sake there's fucking doors at the last level's start area

Its shit as fuck and annoying to deal with, you spend so much more time cleaning all of the floors and its way more dangerous if you arent prepared

doot doot

>get this far
>zig

why veronica

why can't you just win and stop being a shitter

Zig:14 splat.

too many turns in abyss ;-;

oh hi there

imo go get that PDA

I need this +8 firescale more

say hello to the daeva

done

nice treasure here

is the light from oil lamps normally only one tile?

It's like three tiles usually, are you wearing welding goggles or do you otherwise have heavy eye encumbrance?

Nothing on my eyes. I guess it got updated or broke. It does match the description now though 'does not provide much light but lasts for a long time'

/free/ platinum served on demand

Meh roguelikes are so 10 years ago.
Only decent roguelike worth playing in 2017 is Elona+

Everything else is fucking garbage or beatable and is pointless to play after you beat the game.

>138 speed

Must be a bell abuser if you survived this long.

>this happens literally within the first 30 seconds of playing today
If I remember right, I stopped playing when I got shafted too. I hate Vashnia.

press aa and tab that fucker

Uh fuck, can't go home by this road.

I don't see a single zombie in that pack that's worth worrying about

>tfw can't decide between getting Cblink or Glaciate running first

I'm Chei so I've been trying for Cblink because fuck everything trying to kill me but now I notice my Icicle damage output starting to suck, not sure if I can make it through Vault like this.

Im not a superman yet, Ill probably die if I get grabbed or become exhausted. Ill wait for the night and try to sneak in my home get some tools if I need to GTFO

9/10s of the superman is his equipment
make yourself some bone armor and a decent weapon

>public washroom
That's cute. Repurposing a place in the wilderness just to survive for a little bit.
Struggling in the early months is very fun and I really wish DDA had a win condition like Cata2 (was going to have). Once you get strong enough you realize you're just playing a grind simulator and the fun you had kinda washes off.

I was just coming back from a rock gathering trip to build my charcoal forge, Im almost there.

scary times

Right now I'm stuck in the comfy "drive around looking for cool places to visit and say hello to NPC's (sometimes with an iron rod the face)" part of the game. Just gotta find those last few books.

Thanks whiskey, my only painkiller. And now I gotta cauterize myself, ouch..

Is DF Adventure mode the only roguelike where I can target every body part of the monsters? Are there any other roguelikes with mechanics like this?

>inb4 Cata, UrW
Not exactly what I'm looking for.

There were two other sharpshooters. I'd have to burn my hop to close the gap and hope she doesn't blink away to cornhole me. I basically only engage her from a killhole at this point. She is outrageously dangerous.

Be sure to use an item with fine cutting instead of just cutting.

If you manage to find a firefighter's department, they make for really great bases permanent bases. All brick walls (nearly indestructible except by a hulk) and garage doors (same deal) you can open with a winch.
It's fun to play a huge city start and hunker down in one of them for a year or two before the usual "what the fuck do I even do now" moment.

Why? I remember running some wizmode tests and the only thing I'd suggest is bringing around a hunting knife to butcher corpses faster than with a swiss army knife if you really want to, but they honestly don't have really that different butchering timings (which in itself is kind of hilarious).
I mean, you shouldn't be able to butcher a zombie in five minutes with a pocket knife but hey, that's a thing.

Add it to the list of DDA's stupid features, like how the butchering ratio is 1:16 for "5 kg of meat from a 80 kg human".

>eat nothing but cooked meat, wild vegetables and cooked offal and 3 portions of lutefisk since start of game
>char keeps bitching about health when waking up
Come the fuck on
Not a single piece of junk food was eaten reeee

How do you play melee octopode without getting fucked in the ass a billion times before finally a getting a win out of pure luck?

not to mention the butchering is hardcoded and not .jsonized, so you can't just fix that one with a small tweak.
The only thing I can think of to fix it would make a really hack job and give the option to "disassemble" the corpse, give every corpse a special time not dependent on survival skill and ask for an instrument with butchering 20+, to give a more sensible amount of meat.

But I mean come the fuck on. Fix your fucking game you pieces of shit

Same way you 13rune a mumo without grinding.

just make pine needle tea you silly goose. You're in a forest, get your bushcraft on.

You can actually do a surprising amount of tacticool stuff, like abusing wands of wall creation, the whole set of buffing potions and a few skills. Detection scrolls, too - your tools are crazy powerful in elona.

Last time I set up a base in a firefighter station, I had to escape by building an underground tunnel because there was just too many fucking zombies after a while, and blobs came too, it was impossible to go out even with vehicles

unarmed+transmutations+gozag

Coming soon to a server near you - now with even more rainbow colors! (And just in time for junethack, too! :D)

>here was just too many fucking zombies after a while, and blobs came too

Blobs are fucking broken, like all naturally spawning mobs that divide and reproduce, because they're still using old whalescode.
Thankfully slime pits are a really rare sight in a town and I found a way in the forums to tweak the overmap settings so that they only start spawning only when you're around the spawn.
But if you're playing PK's mod you better just leave the cities alone, since there's tons of mobs that just spawn blobs on death and there's no way in hell to stop them from actually multiplying as of now.

The trick is to abuse the small door, set a brazier on the now open tile (always keep it next to the door when it's closed) and just abuse of the 1x1 corridor to kill them all. In case of brutes, you can light it on fire so that they take extra damage since their retarded throw attack can take away the only advantage you have there. But overall it's a great base.

im playing dcss and it seems like my dude was eating automatically before but not anymore? what gives

You probably saw something invisible, which turned off autopickup. Press Ctrl+a.

A fucking lindwurm just chewed through my flying skulls, like half my zombies AND almost beat the shit out of my character, a TrMo of all things

I have no idea what RNG sorcery this is

Lindwurms are pretty stronk.

finally

>5 spectators see you die

I'd probably kill myself if that happened to me, not that you should

how

If you've actually tested it, you probably know better. I'm just talking from bitter subjective experience of trying to cauterize myself with a steak knife and failing. Might be I just got a poor roll.

I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE NEW TOMB BRO

Seriously, I have no idea how to win with sub-par races anymore. I think it's time for /rlg/ to dust the cookie crumbs from our beards and figure out a way to reliably beat this fucker.

it was almost a really unfortunate run. I got some armors and some mutations but other that I was trying to carry my game on cblink cheihands

a book of earth or necronomicon might have put it all together for me

>new tomb
>clearly on an upstairs
yeah nah

heck yes

werent you play unarmed?where is your statue form

how the fuck does this happen

>Seriously, I have no idea how to win with sub-par races anymore.
Just
fucking
worship
TSO
Add Bloat Form to that and tomb is done, even dumb mibes can eventually cast bloat form if you save tomb for last.
Heck you don't even need it with TSO

he's not even playing trunk, you just pull shit up a bit at a time

I guess I just thought the mummy would die faster.

I also never found statue form anywhere even though I got 10 runes

I'll probably run through extended exclusively with statue/lich/TSO/Mak/gargoyles. Maybe Ashenzari with shatterstorms and a furiously rubbed CBOE, although I think that runs off exp now. My meme magics only work in 3 rune nowadays, since they literally killed all of my crutches.

die faster to what? meleeing with a staff of energy?

cobra pls

I seriously doubt that

Did you ctrl+f it?

But I don't go Gozag with Octopodes. It's way too much RNG what with jewelry shops being random as fuck.
I prefer Dith as it's far safer and stable.

This killhole was made for me.

>no tele status
>using silence so that you can't step from time or read tele
>thinking that regen 5 is going to balance out SEVEN tormenting monsters

damn, now that they made wands of disintegration not work on walls, it's really tough to make perfect killholes. The only ways I can think of are:

>formicid
>orb of destruction
>use digging 1 tile from non-rock wall
>LRD

Antimagic or holy for extended?

both or either

I didn't even make it. I read mapping and saw perfection. Usually digging works if you do it on the edges of the map, but its all rng if you can't get to an edge.

antimagic doesn't increase damage
holy doubles your damage
wtf do u think noob

holy only multiplies your damage by 1.75 on average

meanwhile antimagic multiplies the enemy alich's damage by 0

A shield of reflection sends those LCB's right back at the lich

Theres very few things that you would want to use antimagic against over holy

Antimagic is good if you don't have very many spells you want to cast, or god abilities to invoke. You'll have enough MP for regen/spectral and probably a blink. Therefore, only use antimagic if your damage is high enough to warrant it. It effectively prolongs fights, vs. holy which ends them quickly. It'll neuter dudes like Gloorx and Lom, but you want holy for Cerebov/Mnoleg since they're still dangerous in melee. Its arguably better to rely on summons to inflict antimagic, like mana viper or spider bags and use holy. Antimagic is really great if you have a whole heap of max evo bobs though, since they'll never get abjured. I'd lean towards holy otherwise.

shield of reflection has no defensive benefits user, it's just for damage
it only reflects things that you would have already blocked with an egoless shield

>made a small mod for CDDA way back when
>just has an item or two with hardcoded effects
>figure I'll try to update it and give it another whirl
>git fetch
>10222 commits behind
>try to merge
>pretty much every change conflicts

At this rate, it's gonna be faster to just redo everything instead of wading through merge hell

And this is just from a bit over one year, I shudder to think what they've been doing

I'm honored people are using my shit art

You should add Battle Brothers to the FAQ, that it's only a roguelike-like game instead of a roguelike. I was almost gonna post about it here.

A couple of splats and we're back on the way to Grit Gate since my Grit Gate recoiler (teleporter) has no cell. I've got a shotty but this time I went straight for inspiring presence and haven't gone into any weapon skills.

Unfortunately I got fickle gill spreading over my body from contracting it earlier on, which has infected and them killed most of my beguiled/proselytized buddies from either my own gas or from aggroing shit like equimaxes onto them while fighting snapjaws and the like.

This is usually where I die anyways though.

Changing the tint is highly recommended imo, I don't think I can go back to blue.

>30 dollars on steam

that shit wouldn't be a roguelike even if it were literally a clone of rogue

Octopode #9
when will this suffering fucking end

>50 splats have passed
>But I do not ascend

Mid game gets easier if you get lucky with protection gear. Train a lot of stealth and be extremely careful with your positioning. A shield is a good idea. Eventually start training transmutations if you find something with Statue Form on it. That's as far as my advice gets since I haven't ascended one either.

That e was some unique sightless dude who stunning forced his own posse and dropped a chem cell and a few tonics.

So I teleport to Grit Gate and get told to go fetch a waydroid from Golgotha. I've got teleport and clairvoyance though, can't I just teleport inside Grit Gate? I'm wary about Golgotha because I'm rapidly fucking shit up by getting hit by worms and sporing inside Grit Gate's halls.

Here's me about to stunning force a bunch of waydroids and animals.

have fun splatting soon

Oh, here's a log of someone who actually ascended a melee pode. You can take a look at his skill training for an idea of what to do. Seems like he just pumped his other defenses, his AC was shit the whole game and no transmutations either

crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/zkyp/morgue-zkyp-20170520-194201.txt

Just keep rushing bladehands
if you get that castable then its easy game

Hm.
Yes, that's better.
Even though it still looks like someone put a polarized glass in front of the screen, still.