/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

hillock fortresses edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/VBm7zwvU
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gem_setter
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Werebeast#Transformation_dates
youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc
youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Im playing dwarf fortress

>Always go in embark
>Decide I wanna name my settlement and all that
>Do my point allocation first
>Embark without thinking
>Randomly generated names for everything.

Every time.

This time we founded a fort named "Dikeflicker"

They do love being flicked

We hadn't hit 750, you dip.

Even if we did, we can safely wait until the thread is at page 8 or 9 before we start the new one.

When you strike adamantine, where do all the demons go after they wipe your fortress out?

What's your favourite biome/environment to embark upon?

I like a nice scenic river valley, with lots of animal friends

How big of an overlap does this general have with Veeky Forums?

>fire up the ol' df and choose a promising biome
>eager to start, choose to play without messing with embark options
>arrive on a nice steep mountain with plenty of trees in the flatlands
>notice woodcutter not chopping down trees for some reason
>check whether I have an axe
>a fucking halberd

what were these IDIOTS THINKING WHEN THEY LEFT THE MOUNTAINHOME

Terrifying wasteland.
Mucus rains constantly here.
I imagine The Caravans wouldn't keep coming if we didn't practically shit gold here.
All we have is Gold, Silver, and Lead.

Please come visit Crypthall, our floors are lined with lead, all we drink out of is lead barrels, and we worship The Plague Goddess.

"Tolgnyr, what should we bring for our journey?"
"Just put whatever's in the trash pile into a cart and we'll shove off with it."

Completely flat, completely treeless/herbless tundra/yellow desert.
Bonus points for stram/river in the desert and/or very high evil.

For me its maximum comfy.

fuck these retards honestly, this now officially my drunk fort. they only have themselves to blame.

Alright I recently started playing DF and am enjoying it allot but there are still a few questions im having difficulty finding the answer to (mostly realated to satisfying unhappy thoughts).

Why do some of my dwarves decide to sleep in the corridors when they all have assigned beds?

How do you make dwarves spend time with their family/friends? Pretty much all my dwarves end up feeling lonely and I dont know how to change this.

Related to the above, my dwarves also get depressed from being unable to pray/lack of abstract thinking despite having temples/libraries open and available.

Some dwarves also get miserable about not eating decent food, despite my chef churning out a steady stream of good quality meals (they choose to eat seeds or something instead for some reason).

How does one decorate walls/furnature ect with gems?

Like this?

Oh sweet jesus yes.
Got some more ?

I'd say the most out of any general yeah

That is the album cover for Sleep - Dopesmoker, the artist is Arik Roper

pastebin.com/VBm7zwvU

Was on 752 when I saw it so meh.

I have a humble request to any modders in the thread.

Ferrets. I love ferrets will some one mod in domestic vermin hunting ferrets for me?

Gods i need some good heroic fantasy books ...
Something with epic journey through entire world, adventures in varied exotic places and shit ..
This is some great art, really reminds me of the old Icewind Dale games.

Cute ferret, but were you stung by a bee or something?

Made a new world and one of the civs is called "Creation of Distractions"

I've never seen one without The in front of it.

I regularly shitpost in 40k threads.

savage river junction with steep cliffs, a waterfall, a forest, and lots of giant animals
or
a bleak, rocky beach. maybe on an evil ocean, definitely close to goblns and/or a tower

can't decide between the two

Heavy.

I really liked the name of the wind. Beautiful storytelling

Forgot pic.

modding creatures is easy friend.

Copy a RAW (say, a cat's RAW) then modfy the data to fit a ferret's build. Then add or remove characteristics according to what makes a ferret a ferret (ie: cats are natural legendary climbers and keas have a thing with stealing items)

pretty big. arguably, only dominions is bigger.

oh shit rimworld general is back

Can werebeasts be raised by necromancers?

Today i present the Skull Spider Golem

I know what ¨your thinking, its a golem it cant spine silk
Well that's were your wrong, this baby will harvest the flesh and body parts of critters and slain things and reproduce it as the finest synthetic thread
its stronger and better than normal thread and have a strong magic weaved into tit making it self repairing and able to be drawn to all mortals thing for a sticky situation.
This will be invaluable to any serious expedition seeking to create a efficient clothing industry
It comes with the newest dark energy engine that will drive it indefinitely. build around the restless and flesh craving spirit of a thousand flesh worms it will ensure longevity

Buy now and get a brand new Ghost lantern with first order

>Tiny chance of rampage and the webbing becoming mighty hungry for the living.

how much?

How do you restrict engravings to be related to site only?

>wereloris attacks my undefended aboveground fort
>bridges are raised too late, its inside my city
>hastily assemble militia and throw them into the fray
>"Father", my expedition leader and miner, shoves his copper pick through the fucker skull and kills it
>Father sustains light injuries
>Doctor checks him
>tissue cut open

RIP Father, you wont be forgotten...

Quite the fitting name, then

It only matters if it was a bite.

It was.

Do werebeasts even have any other attack than bite ?

>Why do some of my dwarves decide to sleep in the corridors when they all have assigned beds?
Hunters.

>various needs
Dwarves won't seek to fulfill their needs on purpose. For family/friends, you just need to get lucky that they're idling together. For temples, have them finish a job while in the temple. For libraries, if they aren't scholars you need something for them to read while idle. For food, only preferred foods satisfy the need.

>decorating with gems
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gem_setter

Yeah they always seem to go for slaps with their xXXx

Of course.

They can scratch, too. Scratches have 0% of infecting your dorfs.

By the way, just because he got bitten, it doesn't mean that he's infected. Even if the bite tears the skin, there seems to be a separate roll that determines whether they get infected or not.

Just keep him somewhere where he can't harm anyone, and if he doesn't turn at full moon, you let him out again.

Yes.

After you designate the engraving move the cursor over it while you're still on [d] [e]. The [D]etails option beside the [e]ngraving option will highlight. You can set image details from there.

It sure distracted you from embarking

Whoops, the "yes" was for .

>Having problems with Were creatures

>Not just biting them before they bite you

Nothing more terrifying than being infected with Dorf Greed

this is an enclave one right?

>Just keep him somewhere where he can't harm anyone, and if he doesn't turn at full moon, you let him out again.>>

When is the full moon anyway ?

Wiki has them written down.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Werebeast#Transformation_dates

Yes

Cool, 4 more days and we will know.

>There are people right now that haven't updated their Therapist

>Some still uses the free version

goblins singing when going into battle when?
youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

God that was an awful adaption, i still cringe thinking of the Balrog

>Goblin starts performance in siege
>Gets shot by a Ballista

o shit I remember this stuff from when I was a kid.

looks pretty well animated to me, and the style is charming

>Ooooooh we're gonna raze and we'll pillage and burn it all down
>Kill your whole village and-
>*THUNK*
>*screaming*

That part is good, but there were many parts that were animated very poorly

youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc

also

youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI

I love that version of the hobbit

40k and DF encourage you to embrace your inner fascist. Most board games require you to think outside the box, while DF keeps misplacing the box. I imagine it's a lot.

Is there some way to turn my dwarves into fucking nerds? I want to dick around with scholars and shit, but I'm at max dorfs and only a single one has any interest whatsoever in attaining knowledge. If I lock that fucker in a room with someone else, will the smartass manage to convince the other guy that reading is cool or am I shit out of luck?

>dwarfs
>intelligence

We'll raze and we'll pillage
We'll burn down your village
We'll tear down that fort to the ground.

So long as no bridges
Hang over those ridges

So long as no dogs
Are chained up in those bogs

And so long as no trading
Has guards left there waiting
We'll tear down that fort to the ground!

Do you hear that singing?
Such iron their bringing!
Goblin Christmas has come to town!

they're*
Almost had it.

>Goblin Christmas has come to town!
stopped reading here

>mfw i finally realized that i can use Masterwork world gens in vanilla/other mods

Scorched Shiv here i come O!

simply epic

that's a lot of deep dorfs

do bridges have implicit floors?

not sure what you mean
they can be walked on and they do designate the tiles below them as "inside" even when they're raised/retracted
but they don't provide any support to things built touching them, and you can't build on them

is it possible to dump rocks on top of a retractable bridge and then attach a pressure plate to the bridge.

thus sending the dumped rock falling on top of the invaders?

or will it simply just fall to the ground with no consequences

Is it still possible to have 80-90 skill in weapons/strength/etc like dwarfs in Headshoots or was it "fixed" in some release ?

extended bridges, do they have implicit floors above them? can people walk over them?

>extended bridges, do they have implicit floors above them? can people walk over them?

What would be the purpose of a bridge if you CANT walk over it ?

you can definitely do that, the problem you'll likely encounter is that bridges tend to launch items around randomly when activated, even if they're retracting bridges
if you can do it with hatch covers it would be easier to control. maybe that isn't what you want, though.
also bear in mind that bridges have a delay in linking to triggers

still not sure what you mean. "over" meaning on the z-level above, or "over" meaning the same z-level as the bridge?
they can be walked on just like floors, unless they're retracted or raised. as far as I know they don't do anything to the z-level above them

Modern Art Pieces

my sparring dwarves keep teleportng out of my fort. goddammit

huh. since they acted as walls when raised I though you could use them to walk

Guess ill shove this project into the future research folder

So this is going to be my new location.

Tribe of Spears will avenge their fallen comrades.

2bh I'm not sure I've ever actually tried. maybe you should see if it works
I doubt they'll path onto them, but if you force someone there (or run a minecart across it?) you might be able to see if it's solid or not

and 2-tile thick walls will stop your extradimensional sparring problem

Much appreciated. A bit annoying that you cant just tell dwarves to 'have fun' and relax. It would be cool if there was a way to set your civillians to have 'off months' where they drop all work and just pray/socialize or whatever similar to millitary dwarves and training.

hopefully that'll happen eventually, I think toady is going to implement properly some kind of festival system after he's done the 10 billion other things on his "next up" list. there already offscreen worldgen "festivals" that don't really happen as far as I know

I kept on turning it into immigrant song and having to go back and undo it.

Yup, with lots of tunnels!

catchy shit mane

You mean way past legendary skill level?
Its still a thing and the cap is 99. Not really a bug though.

Yes thats what i mean.

Operation drunkfort has commenced boys. Also, they forgot to bring a fucking anvil with them.

How do you even survive without an anvil? Just gotta wait to buy one from a trader?

Did you even bring damn picks?

the embark is super tasty, bituminous coal, plenty of iron ore, lots of gems and even some tetrahedrite in case I feel frisky. I'm expecting even better when I delve the caverns, but for now time to put those fucking ahlberds to work and make the useless woodcutters start training.

I got picks thank fuck, and yeah pretty much. Gotta buy some shit from the caravan if I wanna make it. Good thing they rememberd the booze.

Has any one done the 1-z level challenge recently? I'm going to give it another go and I'd like to see your pictures.

first migrant wave, and not a very bright bunch I'll wager. Not one woodcutter who has the brains to bring an axe along, and no one with skill in any valuable professions. Least the depot is up.

What's so bad about Zon?

yeah man, fuck you Zon is great

It's actually directed at my militia commander, who's the woodcutter who I'm blaming for the two halberds fiasco. Also, she hauled the least fucking amount of shit possible when I was moving stuff from the wagon into the fort. Basically, she's the reason everything is up shit creek (or so I choose to believe)

Yeah nah Zon is a champ, Tun's a hyuge fuk bitch tho. Also merchants fuck yeah I have an anvil.

I'm saved bois, apparently the merchants didn't bring an axe, but that's ok I don't need wood except for beds, and fuck that, the dwarves can rough it for a while. I bought just enough logs to kickstart my furnaces, and then the coal can pick up the slack. ALso I apparently have a gun mod installed that I don't remember, so I guess I'll make some muskets soon enough hehehe. Meanwhile, the excavation of the fortress is going smoothly. I'll be churning out some spears and traps to protect myself, and dig my way up the mountain until it's almost hollow.

Can't you make Wooden Axes if you deconstruct your arrival wagon?