Looking for a used truck to do some off-road camping, tow jet skis, and haul around some baikus. Nothing huge...

Looking for a used truck to do some off-road camping, tow jet skis, and haul around some baikus. Nothing huge, just meme towing. What do y'all think of this?

covertfordaustin.mobi/Austin/For-Sale/Used/Ford/F-150/2012-XLT-Brown-Truck/53580967/

Other urls found in this thread:

covertfordaustin.com/Austin-TX/For-Sale/Used/Ford/F-150/2010-FX4-Silver-Truck/53216199/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So, no?

Step bro had one, sold it within a year. So take it as you see it.

What was he using it for?

You can get a cheaper truck that you won't really use either

Not sure what the truck market is like in your area but that's kind of expensive for how beat up the cloth interior is, I'd rather go a couple years older and get a higher trim level since it's basically going to be a bro truck mall crawler

Also to add to this, get a Tacoma, it will do everything you want but is nicer to drive and better off road

If you want to do camping, get a vehicle you can lay down in the back seats. Something like a 4runner or exploder.

I would tell you to just get a toyota instead but they hold onto their price really well for some reason

if you plan on going off roading and hauling you should look for a two door model.

Im in Houston and got a 4x4 2nd gen Tundra CrewMax with 130k for around that price. Look around in your area. I considered getting an f150 and im glad I didnt.

What made you go tundra over f150?
Tacoma is a small size truck though right? Like the ranger
There is a dearth of two doors around here

What about something like this?
covertfordaustin.com/Austin-TX/For-Sale/Used/Ford/F-150/2010-FX4-Silver-Truck/53216199/

Bump

tacoma drinks gas like a v8 but its slow af half of their drivers are constantly pissed and the above is the reason why

nit to mention driveline vibrations. tacoma has only looks going for it and good resale

That seems like a lot of money for a vehicle that sounds like it wont be your primary vehicle.

I'm also of the opinion that modern quad cabs with the short bed are useless. Most extended cabs have plenty of room for anything bar 300+ mile road trips unless your passengers are all 6'2"+

Getting an extended cab with the 6'+ bed will allow you more space to securely haul quads and addition items, keep the wheelbase fairly short for offroading, reduce overall weight to allow you to tow more, and also bring down price so you're not spending shit loads of money.

Unless you're buying a compact like Colorado/Canyon/Tacoma/Dakota, in which case the extended cab is basically there for hauling shit, forget about people.

I've got a 1996 Taco, the pre-2004 Tacomas are smaller than a Ranger, the post-2004 ones are the same size if not a tad larger, if all you plan on towing is a few jetskis the Tacoma is more than capable, I've used mine to tow a friends Whaler Montauk which with engine and gear probably reaches 3200lbs just fine despite only being a 4 cyl and I pretty much weekly tow a Skiff I built that weighs in the neighborhood of 700lbs. The American tow ratings are a meme, they assume that you have a trailer without brakes, for the Hilux with the same engine as the Taco sold internationally is rated for around 6000lbs braked a Taco could run at about the same with no issues.

On top of that the Tacoma will outlast the comparable domestic options and you'll loose way less money due to depreciation, sure you could keep a Dakota/Ranger going past 200,000mi but your looking at a 80-90% chance of having to replace the engine/transmission along with a litany other moderate issues along the way.

Disregard the people who complain about the mileage of the Taco, realistically the EPA averages are for if you have a real lead foot I easily pull 25 city/30 highway and that goes up to 32 highway if I use a cap.

the 2005+ get horrible mileage and driveline vibration that they still havent fixed

It will be a daily driver (15 miles) but a weekend work/fun vehicle.

I wouldn't finance anything with that high of mileage on it. You can get roughly a truck in the same price range that is newer with under 30k miles on it with less bells and whistles

And have it depreciate right as I drive off the lot? Why

Its just my personal opinion. If you want to spend 18k on a truck and finance something for 5-6 years that's already got over 100k miles on it go for it.

The driveline vibrations can come from a few sources, mostly it's from people that have 4wd models that don't grease the driveshafts regularly so the joints develop slop, or there are some harmonic issues that crop up from time to time but those can be fixed with some 30$ shims and an angle gauge, on top of that it's not an issue in terms of longevity or performance, it's more just an annoyance while driving.

As for the mileage, sure it's not great compared to passenger vehicles, after all it is a truck, but in most cases it's decently (10-20%) above comparable Dakotas/Rangers and easly 50/60% better than other full sized trucks. Sure you can do "More" with a full sized truck but most people just use it empty for transport and unless you have some outrageously large trailer that you tow constantly a compact/midsize truck fills all of your needs and is lighter on your wallet and better off road.

get diesel chebby 420

That's a good point...

Just a matter of what options you want your truck to have. The XL extended cabs are gonna be easier to find with a low mileage for a good price.

I guess the base package would be fine seeing as most of the bells and whistles can be added aftermarket

>Looking for a used truck to do some off-road camping
would you buy a new truck to do on-road camping?

Idk, some people might

Offroadfag here, dont fall for "DODGE TOUGH" memes. The main things you need to look for in a vehicle is..
>good ramp angles (the closer the tires are to the front and back of the vehicle the better)
>short vehicle
>not overly tall vehicle (most liftbro's die from rolling)
>solid tramsmission
>reliability
>cheap and avaliable parts

Ok so my budget is a soft 20(more if I do a down payment). What would you recommend I look at?

Are you a yank, I cant really help if you are.

Yeah

Depends on how intensive off road driving you want to really do for your camping. If it's just a fire road with some bumpy shit here and there any stock truck or SUV with 4x4 is fine

Ok then, im assuming the car in your OP has the same transmission as a Ford Courier (so really fucking solid) also think to yourself if you really need the doublecab. Whats going to be more important to you, better offroading ability or more seats. Also get a flatdeck if you can, normal trays are pointless unless you need a canopy to avoid shit getting stolen.

I prefer the double cab for the doggo so I don't mind sacrificing a little offroading ability

Either get a dogbox or a canopy. Dont keep a dog in your car or inside your house, theyre dogs. What about rifles and fishing rods, how much shit do you take with you?

> Dont keep a dog in your car or inside your house, theyre dogs.
N-nani???
>What about rifles and fishing rods, how much shit do you take with you?
Decent amount of shit but I go light as much as possible. I'm thinking a Tacoma would be more my style, more fun and more offroading at the expense of high towing capacity

Get a yank to help you from here on in, I dont know anything about yank cars. I can only help you with basic advice. But it sounds to me, youre gonna want either a single or extra cab with a short tray, either a flatdeck with a dogbox or a canopy.

Do you call camping laying down in the backseat of a truck?

Ishygddt

Ok so now I'm leaning towards the taco. What do y'all think of the Sport/Off road packages? Worth it?

Bump

I've only got a 2wd, but unless you get a decent deal on one I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you go with a 4wd version, the only worthwhile thing that they include is rear lockers which are nice if you have to cross significant mud or have to deal with a really sketchy boat ramp, pretty much everything else you could easily add on yourself if it really bothered you.

Reliability. If the F150 could make it past 300k i probably would have bought it instead desu.