Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zi8ShAosqzI
youtube.com/watch?v=gyfKdI6zi9M
glowfishinteractive.com/dissolving-the-world-part-1/
autumn-vale-game.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why is Unity so ugly lmao

first for i want to make an mmo

Isn't there already an engine out there specifically for MMOs?

Please fill out the following:

>>love2D
>pros
>cons

>>Dodot
>pros
>cons

>>GameMaker
>pros
>cons

There are quite a few

The D-lusion engine

love2d
+ nothing
- love2d

godot
+ it's ok maybe
- no-one ever verified if it's actually ok or not

gm
+ it has games out of it
- it's bad

>not following the format
>hates every engine
Who /builds their own engine/ here?

You

>reinventing the wheel

fun fact: haxeflixel is better than all of those for 2d

>dynamic camera changer to firstperson from thirdperson to avoid showing your hideous animations or just hide the fact that you got no animations

Alright so I'm in a bit of a pickle, I want to hide objects that happen to block the pig from view.
I did this by setting up a second camera in the middle of the main camera that doesn't render meshes tagged with Default or whatever.

The problem is, I want to be able to see the shadows, is there a way to still see them but hide the meshes?

reminder that marketing is a meme

i mean
yeah

where is your extremely successful game that made it big without marketing

Who keeps posting this image every couple threads? It makes me cringe every single time.

Can you tell me which game is yours?

i literally haven't seen this image in these threads until now and i browse /agdg/ way more than it's healthy for me

Oh, I have that tablet, what's so meme-y about it?

>- no-one ever verified if it's actually ok or not
I checked, it's ok.

it's literally the first time i've posted this image here

>5x4 bingo board

oh shit nigga BINGO
also

>Haxe tier 2
Did someone make a game with it?

How many phases is too many for a boss fight?

You should get a whiteboard, they're good

i wanna get a whiteboard but i can manage with my little dev notebook

>he doesn't use monogame

I don't know how you guys expect to make a game if the first thing you do is skip over the basics and need someone to coddle you JUST for you to spawn an object in your world.

If you need a baby engine to get a cube in a 3D environment, then there's no way in fucking hell you will figure out how to avoid making your game run like shit or fix bugs involving the physics.

Most of the EX stage bosses in Touhou have 19 phases (10 spellcards + 9 regular attacks)
I'd say that's about as far as you want to go

3 is the absolute max and that is pushing it. Having to fight through Friede then Friede & Ariandel every time you die to Blackflame Friede was so shit.

yeah but monogame has one fatal flaw and think all of us here know what it is

please rise for the AGDG national anthem.

youtube.com/watch?v=zi8ShAosqzI

Is it possible do a SNES mode 7 type view in Game Maker? I want to make a board game with a tilted view like Mario Party, except I also want cardboard cut out buildings (buildings that stick out of the board that you can go behind)

I heard GM sucks at making 3D, but I think it should be possible to do this fake 3D thing, right?

Depends how long each phase takes to complete. I'd say you're pushing it if you go beyond 3 phases though; but then again, if it works for your style then you could do more.

Hey I got a column! What do I win?

GM sucks at making 3D, yes, but it excels at exactly that kind of thing - simple, old-school 3D

look at fight knight or gun godz, for example

that said, what you want to do goes beyond mode7 i think, so you should probably look into unity instead

I beg your pardon

youtube.com/watch?v=gyfKdI6zi9M

Made a death animation for these guys - bulb launches off and light flickers out

CLOWNPIECE NOOOO

>but it excels at exactly that kind of thing - simple, old-school 3D
It doesn't excel at anything 3D, other engines can do simple old-school 3D too but much faster and easier.

3D engines generally don't have the flexibility to handle certain things that old school 3D games tend to do in a more streamlined fashion like GM does, things like "models" that are actually one sprite facing your direction at all times are far easier to pull of in GMS than in say, unity

source: my ass

Boring progress, but a good excuse to show combat in the webm.

Enemy secondary reactions are now implemented (except the dizzy state, which is a bit more involved); enemies now tumble along the ground when knocked flying, faceplant when tripped, stagger back when blocked, etc.

He just meant that it naturally makes 3D looks aged and shitty, for other engines

Compared to* other engines.

You're wrong, billboarded sprites are extremely easy to do in other engines.
GM's 3D is very unoptimized too, the same scene in a proper 3D engine runs much faster.

You're doing yourself a huge disservice by using GM for 3D and the only reason why someone would ever want to use it is because they're too lazy to learn a better engine.

partly yeah, that too
it's so shitty that it makes 3d things look old from the get-go

Billboarding is probably one of the easiest things to do in Unity.

It's also pretty easy in Unreal my dude

I actually found the code I needed. It's only one line of code for each object to make it work, not bad.

This is exactly the effect I wanted. I already own Game Maker from humble bundle and it's really easy so I'd rather use that.

I just want to make a Dokapon Kingdom type game for my friends to play. I don't really think I'd ever try and sell it unless it turns out amazing. It'll end up looking like shit since I have no idea how to do art. I threw this garbage together in 30 minutes to see if I could get the effect to work.

nice everything clone

where my ZBros at?

>using a second fucking camera
>not just using a transparency shader

POST YOUR MONSTER JAM PROGRESS
Is anyone even making a game for it?

hey that's great user
what's the line of code? i don't think i've used game maker's 3D before

oh derp, I'll look into shaders, thanks!

I think you want a shader like this. glowfishinteractive.com/dissolving-the-world-part-1/
You would put it on all objects that you want to dissapear, then determine how close it is to the pig. If it's too close, dissolve the things in front. With your viewport, I don't think you can use the exact technique in that article.

>He doesn't knows what billboarding is

Typical dev who says engine devving is pointless.

d3d_draw_wall(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2, tex, hrepeat, vrepeat)

It just draws a 3D wall with a texture if you put in the coordinates.

and

d3d_set_projection(xfrom, yfrom, zfrom, xto, yto, zto, xup, yup, zup)

modifies the entire view of the board to be at an angle

nah cant.
got a real game to dev.

thanks user
i love that kinda style

More specifically, in that article, they only care about dissolving things that are close to the camera viewport. Whereas you want to dissolve anything that is both a a lower depth (closer to the camera) than piggu, AND is close to the center of the screen. You can maybe just hardcode in the distance, and do the depth check.

There's another way too, where you pass in the pig's world space position to the shader and test against that.

Can I see it?

squaredev can't and no-one started before actual starting date so it will be a jam without games

All I did today was clean up some code, so not much progress.

Sure.

I don't see any game in your picture.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Autumn Vale
Dev:
Tools: ue4, blender, c++
Web: autumn-vale-game.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ Made some placeholder models for gardening tools (hoe and pick mattock)
+ Fixed socket error with models so they both line up with the player's hand when attached. The transform of one of the models in blender was crazy numbers instead of 0 on export.

Literally the best way to improve your game right now is to make a basic outdoor scene with placeholder grass and trees, instead of the default unreal boxtown.

>tell me which game is yours so I can shitpost the living fuck out of any progress you might show in the future.
hurr durr, what did you expect?

not him btw.

It's in there.

UI dev is suffering

He doesn't want to make his game more palatable to AGDG posters, he wants to implement all the functionality and features required by the game. Visuals can and should wait until the prototype is done.

I expected him not to shitpost.
Nice trips btw

Why do you all end your names in dev?
Is it a code?
Are you the Justice League?

>Is it a code?
Oh shit they're catching on.

SHUT
IT
DOWN

It's an homage to our lord, leader and beloved gamedev posterchild, Yanderedev.

why

Since devs are anonymous and games often have no names they become [defining feature of game]dev

i don't

why wouldn't i just actually garden?

I was thinking a combination of FLTK and Allegro libraries. Maybe even just FLTK

>and games often have no names
What, really?
Show me some screenshots, I'll name your games for you.

That's something only you can answer for yourself. If you have the means to go and tend to your own garden outside I would wonder why you'd be posting on this thread instead.

D egenerate E ternal V irgin

Are you implying people with gardens have no other hobbies? wut

Are any of you good at doing backgrounds/scenery?

would my game be better with 2hus?

You can sell it at Comiket

sort of nails it. While I appreciate the feedback, the reason I haven't done away with boxtown is that it serves my needs at the moment. I'm more interested in getting the gardening mechanics working before focusing on how the scenery looks; I don't feel like modeling and texturing a bunch of environment props and terrain when there's bigger things to tackle.

its literally the result of KISS and their frequency when posting.
If you post your game with X enough, youll probably become X-dev.

why are so little devs named shitdev then ?

how's godot working for you

They can't have the same name as you

In UE4 is scaling everything down a terrible idea and going to fuck up my game later on? I noticed in the Kite Demo they made everything really tiny, was this to fit it all within the map size limits (is there even one?)?

If you do want some placeholder nature stuff like that user suggested:
>Open World Demo Collection
>Zen Garden
>Infinity Blade Grass Lands
Free packs on the market with a variety of trees and whatnot

wheres my prize

Why would you scale EVERYTHING down?