Wargame General /wgg/

>What is this?
A general for all strategic, operational, and tactical wargames that can't generate enough traffic to sustain their own generals.

>Attention Grabbing tags:
/wgg/ /sdg/ /rtt/ /rts/ /rtsg/ /tsg/ /mowg/ /mowassg/ /ctag/

>Example welcome games:
Steel Division: Normandy 44
Wargame: Red Dragon
Combat Mission
Call to Arms
Flashpoint Campaigns
Graviteam Tactics
Theatre of War
Men of War
Command: Modern Air Naval Operations
Armored Brigade
Close Combat
Steel Panthers MBT

>Introduction to Steel Division:
paradoxplaza.com/steel-division-player-guide/

>Graviteam Tactics Downloads:
pastebin.com/TwMLZQ6h
pastebin.com/cgWbuPSS

>Interesting history links:
Cold War military technology ads:
vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads-1980s
/wgg/ misc Cold War literature:
mediafire.com/download/zfm69f0k91pmf0y/wgg-lit-v1.3.rar
The Soviet Army: troops, organization & equipment
fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
USMC intelligence North Korea handbook:
fas.org/nuke/guide/dprk/nkor.pdf
Everything there is to know about the T-62:
thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.my/2015/12/t-62.html

>Teamspeak server
ts.artificialanimation.com:7997

>Discord
discord.gg/dhAUVqp

>Legacy Wargame General pasta and game-info repository:
pastebin.com/70Nwcb5m (embed)
dropbox.com/s/lon0cgmjfqwq1oi/WargameRD_Hidden_Knowledge_Spreadsheet.xlsx?dl=0
docs.google.com/document/d/1UvBiH3lrCFzLYnRzNzF49yVtaNHYLfi7dgMpNE517RM/

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/B4Jq94
youtu.be/mowIpmzOPQY
youtube.com/watch?v=8AyWIbZD7vg
timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Steel Division: Normandy 44 - Release&iso=20170523T19&p1=195
store.steampowered.com/app/373930/Sudden_Strike_4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't whine about dying threads. Add to the dicussion or leave.

stoßtrupp are good units

>no Squad
>no COD
>OP kept the welcome games as is
This is a nice fucking thread.

>actual non dead discord
discord.gg/B4Jq94

What's the point of 2-man flamethrower teams? They seem way too fragile to be worth anything. Aren't flamethrower inf teams (6 man+) much better?

I was hyped as fuck for Steel Division, but I played a couple games and was disappointed by the phase system, smaller scale and slow unit pace.

I guess I'm also sick of the WWII era for RTS games. Idk, I don't get the love for SD here and the apparent new hatred for RD.

When is SD supposed to come out? In the only timezone that matters (est)

>Idk, I don't get the love for SD here and the apparent new hatred for RD.
This is mostly people just fighting back and forth. The only thing people seem to understand is calling something shit, so most arguments about why SD is good despite it's weak points revolve around how RD was shit in the same or different areas
tldr: shitposting.

1pm your time I think

bump

>playing eugenshit
How about playing a real wargame !!!LOL!!!
like War in the East

You have to go back

WHEN MY NEW DIVISIONS COME OUT GAME RLEEASE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that turret turned a bit fast

they are in the support section, which is less important than infantry

i've heard they can work in forests, but neven seen them work

If your infantry have shit for close range phase A, you can make these guys work with a bit of micro. They need a line infantry to screen for them so they can kick people out of buildings or suppress them.
But yeah, extremely situational, needs considerable more micro, and of course inferior to infantry flame teams.

You need to engage with mainline infantry, like rifle squads and whatever else is on hand. Once all of the enemies in the area are shooting at you run the flamethrower team in from the flank (this avoids unwanted suppression and AoE damage) where they will take the enemy by surprise and cause them to get pinned/wiped/surrendered. Considering they're only 25 points they can pay dividends in forests, especially against otherwise costly to remove units like stobstrupp.

they're only useful in forests, anywhere else they'll get cut down instantly

Post 352. and 17. SS decks

I've had it. I've FUCKING had it with you krauts and your Tetrarch bullying. IT STOPS HERE.
youtu.be/mowIpmzOPQY

>new death grips song
WHAT?!

MY WHOLE FUCKIN LIFE

think I need more smoke

>this video
youtube.com/watch?v=8AyWIbZD7vg
kek

>All ALLIED AT guns got a range of 1200

How different is SD to Wargame? Are the playstyles similar or does it feel like a simplified wargame?

I have over 1000 hours in Wargame

Similar, but with obvious meta changes due to different timeframe and the new phase system, plus a focus on territory capture rather than cost-effective destruction.

The interface will be very familiar, your biggest change would be learning capabilities of the units. Infantry rarely have man-portable weapons that are effective against tanks, and never against aircraft. There are no IFVs. The SEAD game is "dumb" in that there's no radar or sensors involved at all. You'll also need to focus on overall pressure across the whole map, CVs are gone and now you get points by being aggressive and holding a larger portion of the map than your opponent. Oh and points have no effect on your ability to call stuff in, incomes are varied and fixed for each division. It's just a victory mechanic. Somehow this is more popular than the Destruction mode.

put them on the edge of the forest. any advancing infantry will get insta supressed/surrender.

Situational, but in some forest chokepoints can be usefull, especially if you can field them in A phase

subscribed

>Been playing SPMBT for a long time and I never did it, I always thought I couldn't be completely neutral about it. But after the AI starts to show its limits I might as well start...do you create forces yourself to forge your narrative or do you go with AI selected stuff?

Yeah, unfortunately AI shows it's limit in meeting engagement or in attack pretty soon, and even when on defence it has some weird behaviour when you've got some of the points and all of sudden whole enemy force including infantry on other side of the map rushes to retake them and it usually becomes a turkey shot for you. It has broken some scenarios for me that were fun until that moment.

As for the question, I created forces myself, and most of the time I did that it was a small-scale battle, since it could quickly become tedious. Honestly I don't even remember what kind of matchups I had, it was so long ago. Neutrality is indeed hard to achieve, but that's compensated by much better use of units.

>want to try Graviteam
>afraid to use the OP link
Can anyone confirm it's real?

The only deck I take them in is 352. Infanterie-Division since they haven't got a single close-range infantry unit in phase A which is of course is retarded as hell. They did work well that one time I've played this deck on Odon, but that was against fairly incompetent player.

If those are links from rutracker (which seems to be the case) then yes, they are legit.

What time is SD release?

timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Steel Division: Normandy 44 - Release&iso=20170523T19&p1=195

Tanks lad.

How well does this deck work out for you? One problem I have with the 17. Is that is quite poor against enemy aircraft. Also how do you use the IG18 and other infantry support guns?

Destruction is cancer. It amplifies peoples' ability to cheese and encourages arty/plane spam.

Destruction worked pretty well for previous Eugen titles. Why are we fixing things that weren't broken?

>People think 6th AB are bad

plebians

It only worked in Wargame because the conquest mode was terrible, funnelling all the fighting into a tiny area of the map. Now that its fixed we can have a proper territory control mode.

I fetched it from there and ran the AV on it, no issues.

keylogger

>stop just before the center
>get a kill so you're 100 points ahead of the enemy
>dodge mortar fire for 40 minutes to preserve your lead
yes destruction was amazing

i bet you're a shitter who also thinks ranked is terrible

Not him, but IG18 is pretty good when properly placed: recks infantry, can kill tetrarchs and other low-armor vehicles, helps fighting enemy tanks by dealing impressive amounts of supression. Although it's as much as air and mortar bait as AT-guns, unlike MGs for example.

Destruction worked well only in EE since there was no real alternative. I remember they had some sort of CQ there with heaps of points that could be captured by anything if memory serves me well and it was a huge mess.

Otherwise since destruction does punish attacking severly and promotes artillery spam it's horrible no matter how you look at it.

I remember watching some championship with destruction as game mode, it was literally what this guy said, boring as fuck.

reminder that the refund window is closing.

Being a shitty game mode aside,

destruction has one meta-level advantage, it makes pubstomping more sustainable. The stompers ignore the objective and push to the enemy's spawn, the randoms use that to rack up a bigger kill score, everyone saves face and feels like they won.

I bought a cd key from a cd key reseller so I can't do a steam refund even if I wanted.

>pre-ordering a game from a keyseller
Oh shit nigger what are you doing

I hope that key was at least 50% less than the game's price.

I wanted to try the beta and the game was half the price I'd pay If I bought directly from steam.

What you should have done was pay full price, play it to see if you like it, then return and buy on keysite. You're one daffy cunt m8

I rarely buy games and when I do it's always multiplayer titles/games running uncrackable anti-piracy protection that I'm sure I'll be playing for considerable amounts of time. It's fine.

>considerable amounts of time
>SD
I got bored after a couple dozen hours, 1% of the time I've invested in RD.

well, that's because you have a shit taste

>Tried Sudden Strike 4
>You can get like 6-7 different units in multiplayer
>There are no artillery or emplacements in multiplayer
>Only armored faction can get 1 type of heavy tank in multiplayer.
>Only one gamemode and it's fucking stupid.

What were they thinking.

What were YOU thinking buying a console RTS parasiting on great legacy? It was enough to see some let's plays to draw a conclusion.

sounds just like Steel Division.

The unit count addresses some concerns that Eugen doesn't and may make it the better game for the discerning gentlemen who can't spamm clicks.

Luckily refunded it, i thought i would give them a chance though.

Imagine if steel division had 1 AA unit 3 planes, 4 tanks and 1 infantry unit per faction. And that was it.

SD has no AA, so that's already an improvement.

Jokes for ages.

This looks really miserable.

store.steampowered.com/app/373930/Sudden_Strike_4/

"The beloved Real Time Strategy series returns, this time with bigger battlefields, more units, better graphics, new scenarios and legendary commanders with individual abilities – all of which makes Sudden Strike 4 more tactical and realistic than ever before!"

What's even more miserable is that they start shitting their potential customers in game description already. Not a single point in that list relates anyhow to 'tactical and realistic', and I presume that bigger battlefields and more units is simply a lie.

I hate this game, why did i bought it. Its just frustrating to play, wish i was smarter.

It is, at least for multiplayer, for the single player there were a lot more different units, but MP is dogshit.

Hey allied fucks. know your asshole is getting fingered by eugene because they know you cant play on a fairly because you have small brains and genitals. So eugene has to suck your dicks with simple minded decks that help you.

Agreed. Wargame has a great thing going for it. I love Steel Division for it's smaller scale, closer-to-the-ground gameplay, etc.

But I'm glad they didn't call it Wargame: Normandy, because it's certainly not that.

People think that? It has pretty much awesome everything except heavy tanks.

Can't bring myself to play TOAW3, interface is clunky and too much information is needed not to fuck yourself at every move but it's difficult to access it. I guess I just need to get used to it but damn, can't find the willpower atm.

where did the 17-pdr touch you?

+1
Seig Heil my Aryan brother!
*quick moves a KT down a road a 2 star AT gun is watching*

FUCKING ALLIED BIAS FIX THIS

Anyone seen a sneak peek at the Maple Syrup deck?

Yes. Just like the Canadians themselves I found the deck to be rather inoffensive and completely forgettable.

Do we get repurposed bombers to deliver winter jackets with?

Leaf pride WW2 wide

Think there was a phase B heavy Tim Hortons bomber in there.

Don't you try to ruse me.
Tim Hortons was a creation that came about due to the abundance of money in a post-war economy. During the war our own citizens had to cut down on wheat products to preserve bread for our troops, no way we had tinycakes being airdropped into Europe.

>Eugen adds units that are out of timeframe

Wow

is the expensive meme version worth it? it's like 30 bucks more

lol

Lemme ask you a question.

Can you fucking read?

no

Took me a second to see what was wrong, jesus.

Is modding tools still going to be in beta when the game relaeses?

What do I do with 2 and a half hours /wgg/

Have a farewell session of RD

What was the objective best deck in the beta?
and why was it AB?

You spelt Guards wrong

so steel division is going to be out in 2 hours?

Well you get used to eventually and it's actually quite robust after that for most of the use-cases. Having to move 300+ counters every turn and broken Cold War scenarios is what killing it for me.

Why is everyone waiting for the release? You've been able to play most of the game for months.

Not as the best division

>50% of the content is about to be added
>Gee I wonder why anyone is interested...

>imblyign

>Microsoft Hanz is still the narrator for singleplayer

you heard it here first

>Worse 6th in the game because of "Muh BoB"

kys burgerfat

Burgerclap trap. Can't wait for the various -boos to face off and complain

What wonder what all the Pact Players play in SD44.